What is with the man-child criticism against Ranbir?

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 3 years ago

To me, those who generalize saying his roles are man-child are being quite superficial and not seeing how different the characters were from each other. ADHM and Wake Up Sid were the only two man-child roles essayed by him. The rest were as different from man-child as chalk and cheese.

Yes, to me he does have one weakness and that is he has a zone where he excels, but rarely performs in other areas with equal zeal. He's bad at commercial cinema and Besharam is an example of that. His characters need that emotional depth for him to perform, or characters which are messed up, or characters with a backstory. He's good at portraying depth and nuances. This is a feature of his acting.

Give him a silly, caricaturish role and he will suck at it, that's what I believe. Well, commercial cinema and over-the-top cinema is not everyone's forte, and that doesn't make him lesser of an actor. He's good at subtlety and subtlety fails in those epic mindless films which we watch leaving our brains behind.

To me, he's a great actor with a wonderful emotional range and convincing in films which have intricate stories. 

I'm not saying criticism against him is not valid, I'm saying criticism against him is misplaced. Let's criticize using the right vocabulary, IMO.

Discuss.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

He was a man-child in ADHM.

He was a man-child in Tamasha.

He was a man-child in YJHD.

He was a man-child, or at least playing Sanju, the man-child, in Sanju.

He was a man-child in Barfi too, if you ask me.

I haven't watched Sawariya or Bachna Ae Haseeno but something tells me that he didn't play mature characters there either. Neither have I watched Besharam but whatever bit I saw of it in trailers, it wasn't helping his cause.

To top it all off, he is THE man-child of Bollywood, always being portrayed as the most "eligible bachelor" with blue blood from the time when he entered Bollywood with Sawariya to now when he's gonna be hitting 40 soon. It's almost fifteen years for heaven's sake! One can't help but want to smack him and tell him to grow the hell up! I think that's where the whole man-child issue revolving Ranbir comes from.

PangaNaLe thumbnail
Own Your Stories Participant 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

This is from where it all started.πŸ˜†

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/4742621

Aur phir Ranbir haters ne pakad liya isko.πŸ˜†

Isse pehle kisi ka maatha nahi thanka ki he always plays man-child.πŸ˜†

I'll admit that I saw the term man-child referring to Ranbir only today in this thread. The thought hadn't struck me before but I found the term very befitting given his persona in Bollywood. And then I went on and added some ideas of my own to really hit it home and cement the "man-child" terminology for Ranbir. πŸ˜†πŸ˜‰  

You know how they say, if you say it loud and often enough, some of it sticks, whether it's true or not. It's all about make-believe perception anyway--much of how so many things work in Bollywood ... and in life!

Agni_Jytsona thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 9

i have two questions 

what is the definition of man child 

the forum members should first describe it properly and then see if all of ranbir s characters fall into the category

i can assure that no two character of his is same 

but bhed chal zindabad πŸ€ͺ

in the same way all of ranveer s character can be termed as chichora 

and all of deepika s characters can be termed as desperate 

DobbyDeol thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: Harley_Quinn

This is from where it all started.πŸ˜†

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/4742621

Aur phir Ranbir haters ne pakad liya isko.πŸ˜†

Isse pehle kisi ka maatha nahi thanka ki he always plays man-child.πŸ˜†

Man that was such a boring yet annoying topic dragged on for 28 pages. Fitting though, considering the fandoms involved.

aish. thumbnail

Originally posted by: Krishnapanchali

i have two questions 

what is the definition of man child 

the forum members should first describe it properly and then see if all of ranbir s characters fall into the category

i can assure that no two character of his is same 

but bhed chal zindabad πŸ€ͺ

in the same way all of ranveer s character can be termed as chichora 

and all of deepika s characters can be termed as desperate 

A man who refuses to stop being a child.

Also you could say that about RSDP off screen but not their filmography. The range is insane compared to RK.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Yes He’s always gotta find himself. πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

I’d like another APKGK

BornWithASmirk thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

RKs character might be different from each other but the way he executes them all the same - they come out as a man child. May be he highlights that quality more then it is his shortcomings as an actor.

Compare that to Ranveer, he blends with character perfectly. You can't tell Khilji is the same person who played Bitto or a Murad. 

Ranveer is versatile but sometimes I feel lacks depth. RK has depth but is one dimensional.

DP too same (has depth but monotonous).

Edited by BornWithASmirk - 3 years ago
pali001 thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

First , be responsible when using words like β€˜Great’. Marlyn Brando is a great actor . 

Kamal Hassan , chiranjeevi  Etc with amazing range also are great occasionally and for few performances. 

Great is a rare phenomenon.

Edited by pali001 - 3 years ago