What is with the man-child criticism against Ranbir? - Page 2

Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by pali001

First , be responsible when using words like β€˜Great’. Marlyn Brando is great actor . 

Kamal Hassan , chiranjeevi  Etc with amazing range also are great occasionally and for few performances. 

Great is a rare phenomenon.

I was debating whether to respond when I saw this. 100% agree.

None of the new gen BW-ians are anything more than mediocre AT BEST. Not talking about the likes of Nawaz or Rajkumar. The mainstream ones.

Ranbir is the man child

Amitabh was the angry young man

Ayushman is the Delhi boy

It's just that people like to categorize things into neat little boxes. And if we're honest there is a small kernel of truth to a lot of these. 

A detractor may use it to pigeonhole someone. But that doesn't mean it always has to be taken as negative criticism. Just because any character falls into a trope does not mean that there is no diversity and range within the trope. 

In fact, I would go as far as to say you can literally play the same character every time and still make it a different person each time. I mean if you couldn't make the same story be so different each time there wouldn't be remakes. 

As a fan, it's been really disappointing to see Ranbir doing the same acting over and over in every movie. He's charming as hell on screen of course and has a lot of depth in his acting, but no range. 

Originally posted by BornWithASmirk

RKs character might be different from each other but the way he executes them all the same - they come out as a man child. May be he highlights that quality more then it is his shortcomings as an actor.

Compare that to Ranveer, he blends with character perfectly. You can't tell Khilji is the same person who played Bitto or a Murad. 

Ranveer is versatile but sometimes I feel lacks depth. RK has depth but is one dimensional.

DP too same (has depth but monotonous).

the only difference between khilji and bitto are the clothes anf the era apart from that both performances can easily be termed as overacting of century 

if changing clothes is versatile then yes ranveer is a versatile actor 

there is absolutely no similarity between samar ved barfi and bunny neither in way character was written or in the way it was excuted

but please do define man child as much as i know it means an immature man 

i dont see how a man as cunning as samar comes into that category 

or bunny who was shown as ambitious hard working man 

or even barfi who was very clever the way he survived in this world 

Originally posted by Maroonporsche

Yes He’s always gotta find himself. πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

I’d like another APKGK

i have asked this before i will as again please do tell how exactly was samar bunny barfi and even happy singh were trying to find themselves 

Originally posted by aish.

A man who refuses to stop being a child.

Also you could say that about RSDP off screen but not their filmography. The range is insane compared to RK.

please do tell how was a man as cunning as samar pratap singh being a child 

or barfi who very cleverly survived in this world 

or even bunny who was an ambitious man who had clear goals and was shown to be working hard to achieve them right from his college days 

or even happy singh who very smartly estbalished his own bussiness and outsmarted everyone 

hell even ved cant be considered a child he was just an average guy you see everyday 

and deepika has no range she is overrated as hell

ranveer is decent bajirao was his best and khilji can easily be termed ad overacting of this century 

Edited by Krishnapanchali - 3 years ago

Originally posted by Krishnapanchali

i have asked this before i will as again please do tell how exactly was samar bunny barfi and even happy singh were trying to find themselves 

When they would stare aimlessly into the sky for what would feel like years πŸ˜†

Originally posted by Maroonporsche

When they would stare aimlessly into the sky for what would feel like years πŸ˜†

what?? that does not make sense at all 

you are just trolling 

Originally posted by Krishnapanchali

what?? that does not make sense at all 

you are just trolling 

OK im sorry I dont know what else to say. πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

These characters seemed similar in nature and behavior to me. With the exception of Prem from APKGK. If they dont to you thats super cool. πŸ‘πŸΌ

Originally posted by HearMeRoar

I was debating whether to respond when I saw this. 100% agree.

None of the new gen BW-ians are anything more than mediocre AT BEST. Not talking about the likes of Nawaz or Rajkumar. The mainstream ones.

Certainly ! Then fans will say Nawaz or Rajkumar cannot do DDLJ or Yeh Jawani....Govinda is amazing at what he does...he does not need to do A Amitabh, Dharmendra etc to say he is very good. 

Its like saying you are no good (lets say for a scientist) ... even if u win a Nobel . You are not a Nobel Laureate unless you win it in every category  πŸ˜•  not just in single category.

There is nothing wrong in being just good(actor in this case)and still be an fan/admirer...i dont understand the hyperboles.