Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

IAmLuvBolly thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 3 years ago

I think in a weird way, and definitely to a much lesser extent, he’s going through that bad luck phase that Abhishek Bachchan went through.  Except Abhishek never got out of that phase, remains to be seen what happens with Varun.  

His masala movies worked well for him in the beginning (though some argue a movie like Dishoom was more of a PR hit than real hit) but ABCD was a hit, Badlapur wasn’t a flop and it was a huge huge critical success for him, almost as much as Highway was for Alia.  Again, both have amazing marketing that did wonders with averages or semi hits.  But he also had massive hits like BKD or Judwaa2.  Then he reached a point where even his marketing couldn’t do much a la Kalank.  

I do believe that while shooting Kalank everyone involved with it thought they were making the biggest hit of the year.  ABCD3 was a sequel to his 100cr film and I don’t think he expected it to flop. Sui Dhaga was a YRF and everyone expected it to work.  I remember him even signing that movie was made into a huge deal and was presented as Varun arriving in the big leagues.  October was expected to further his position as a “great actor” after Badlapur.  So all of these movies were part of his strategic plan.  He and his team thought they were covering all genres and gaining from it.  Unfortunately it didn’t work that way and now he’s significantly down from where he was in 2017-2018.  Let’s see if he’ll be able to turn it around or get kind of stuck like Abhishek.  

nonam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: IAmLuvBolly

I think in a weird way, and definitely to a much lesser extent, he’s going through that bad luck phase that Abhishek Bachchan went through.  Except Abhishek never got out of that phase, remains to be seen what happens with Varun.  

His masala movies worked well for him in the beginning (though some argue a movie like Dishoom was more of a PR hit than real hit) but ABCD was a hit, Badlapur wasn’t a flop and it was a huge huge critical success for him, almost as much as Highway was for Alia.  Again, both have amazing marketing that did wonders with averages or semi hits.  But he also had massive hits like BKD or Judwaa2.  Then he reached a point where even his marketing couldn’t do much a la Kalank.  

I do believe that while shooting Kalank everyone involved with it thought they were making the biggest hit of the year.
 ABCD3 was a sequel to his 100cr film and I don’t think he expected it to flop. Sui Dhaga was a YRF and everyone expected it to work.  I remember him even signing that movie was made into a huge deal and was presented as Varun arriving in the big leagues.  October was expected to further his position as a “great actor” after Badlapur.  So all of these movies were part of his strategic plan.  He and his team thought they were covering all genres and gaining from it.  Unfortunately it didn’t work that way and now he’s significantly down from where he was in 2017-2018.  Let’s see if he’ll be able to turn it around or get kind of stuck like Abhishek.  

even I thought kalank would be so big, how many years we heard about this movie, and I for other reasons, I thought madhuri would have a good role, songs etc, and expected so much but that movie was like "look we can be slb, and look alia can dance like aish, madhuri etc". nothing but a reel for alia

capricornrcks thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: nonam

even I thought kalank would be so big, how many years we heard about this movie, and I for other reasons, I thought madhuri would have a good role, songs etc, and expected so much but that movie was like "look we can be slb, and look alia can dance like aish, madhuri etc". nothing but a reel for alia

Kalank is guilty of a lot of sins. Cutting up Madhuri's Tabah ho gaye is No.1. They should never have made Alia dance. In fact why should she even dance? She came for music tuition, na? Only Varun and Alia's characters were properly developed. And Alia's character was poorly written as a spoiled young teenage bride who throws tantrums. Varun's Safar at least had a proper motivation and he performed exceptionally well whenever he had combo scenes with Madhuri. Madz got an unusual character arc. How often do we see a mother who abandons her son for her lover? Both her and Sonakshi should get the credit for making their characters come alive with only a handful of scenes.

loginidran thumbnail

Originally posted by: capricornrcks

I agree with you. But why would he change his philosophy when the same audience makes trash like Judwaa 2 a hit and ignore quality films like October and Badlapur? The latter gave him respect and credibility as an actor but the former gave him success and thereby extended his shelf-life

I do agree that he is OTT and unbearable in his father's movies. However I have a different opinion about his comic timing. He had quite a way with his witty repartee with Alia in the two Dulhania movies. Dialogue delivery rather than antics seem to be his strength. Kalank was a problematic movie in many respects. However I loved his scenes with Madhuri -especially the diagalogue-less  scene where he gets insulted in public while his mother witnesses his humiliation. Blame in his eyes and guilt in hers. I couldn't find any faults with his performance in Sui Dhaaga. The climax was weak. And while I agree that Sreeram Raghavan deserves credit for molding him to be a creditable actor, he proved to be an apt pupil. Why else would Sreeram cast him again in his next movie? After the success of Andhadhun he could get anybody. I think Varun has a long way to go and should definitely choose better movies  (No more Remo, Prabhudeva or his family's films) he's the best of the new lot since Ranbir Kapoor debuted.

You mean from the star kids?  Because after Ranbir debuted we have had the likes of Vicky, Ayushmann, Ranveer, RKR also debut other than Varun. 

OT: Varun is at best an average actor but what I like about him is the sincerity in his performances. I cannot put my finger to it but there is something about him which makes you want to give him another chance. I guess for one, he isn’t the one who takes his privilege for granted and really tries to make the best use of every chance he gets and that shows through his body language.

Edited by cutejodikangal - 3 years ago
2RsFan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

Movies like Judwaa 2 almost collected  in a day  what October collected in its lifetime . Even Sui Dhaga wasn’t a proper hit .  What do you expect him to do ?  IMO he should stop working with his father whose time has passed just the like the once great directors  such as RGV, Subhash Ghai, Mahesh B, Sooraj B, Aditya C etc 

Edited by 2RsFan - 3 years ago

The only thing he is good is at are serious roles, he looks like a clown doing any sort of comedy.

He should just do serious roles or maybe action. Thats it

columbia thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

I actually come from a different view. I think he needs to do both to help himself. In fact, only doing movies like October he will start to take himself way too seriously - something I feel Tapsee is doing and in the process become too one tone. 

I absolutely agree Judwa and this Coolie No 1 is the shytiest shyte that BW churns - frankly no different from that Student of the Year. These guys are lucky that there are writers like Raghavan, Sircar, etc around but even all these guys cannot guarantee money, it’s a business, both parties need each other to survive. 

For Raghavan to get money for his movie, he get a Varun, and a Varun can continue to be able to bring money as along as he does Coolie No 1 types. 

I think it’s good if the new crop does everything, then only writers and makers become true kings and not the stars. 

Maroonporsche thumbnail

The only issue was they cut the beach song. Missed out on that passion

Anyway I think he has enough resources to withstand this pandemic. I always refer to streamed movies as fake movies. An they are. But until that vaccine comes its streamed for now. So he can make 100's of more Coolies to stream. They'll make film purists cringe. But who cares 😆😆 Once it goes pack to a regular situation maybe make some different choices but don't loose your roots. I mean if I watch A Varun Dhawan comedy and don't seen half naked women than it looses its heart 😆

myviewprem thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Breaking records? Both collie and laxmi bomb are big flops

If someone broke record its Aashram on MX player 900 million views season 1 going to be 1 billion shortly 

and season 2 was 450 million views after first 3-4 days only

Rest are all lying - i doubt even 10 million watched laxmi bomb or coolie 

lets see how many watch this week

Edited by myviewprem - 3 years ago
myviewprem thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Varun dhjwan neither has looks, nor personality, nor charisma nor acting skills to be an hero