Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Maroonporsche thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: insideroutsider

True till you enjoy both it's fine but that's not what happens right? People are obsessed with others failure and use BO to pull down films and actors and that's pretty unfair.

They do that with awards, reviews , actors bank balances, size of houses. Pankaj is just ranting and raving 

myviewprem thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Pankaj Tripathi is right o some extent 

Many classic movies were flops

Like Pyasaa, Mera Naam Joker, Jane bhi do yaro, andaz apna apna 

Even many movies that re run on TV again and again are not truly super hits like sunny deol and govinda movies of 90s 

SRK, Salman and amir may have had biggest hits and super stars of 90s but tell me who watches kuch kuch hota hai or K3G or DTPH or raja hindustani or HAHK again and again on TV. Its all one or max two time watch except for songs 

The movies that audience can watch 10 times without getting bored are govinda and sunny deol kind of movies like ghatak, damini, hero no.1 etc 

Same goes for 50s and 60s movies too 

Filmistan thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

He's not wrong, but that doesn't mean he has an entirely valid point.

Commercial, massy cinema can coexist with pure, offbeat cinema. In India, there's this weird trend where Ayushmann's social comedies are considered part of the latter. That's not true. His movies are as commercial as a Rowdy Rathod. It's simply an issue about genres and reach of the star/makers.

We have ample space for a Dabbang and a Tumbbad to coexist. People who seek entertainment will watch Dabbang. That's the majority. People who want to be stimulated by great cinema will watch Tumbbad. For me, Tumbbad is arguably the best film of last decade. I also believe that Dabbang is one of the greatest masala movies of all time.

Somehow, these actors who don't see much box office success always complain about these 100 crore clubs. It doesn't always have to be that way.

Notebook, for me, was amongst the best movies of last year. It was a disaster and was ignored by major critics. I'd have been happier if it ended up doing 100 crores at the box office. It didn't happen. It also didn't change my perception of the movie.

Fans celebrate the success of their favorites because that is the whole concept of fandom. If the fans were indifferent, there would be no such thing as fandom. Cinema would cease to exist as a mass institution and would become a niche topic like philosophy.

This fandom aides smaller films too. In any healthy industry, there is balance between commercial products and niche products. I'm pretty sure Fogg sells more than Versace.

Masses have and will always dictate cinema. Why do popcorn romantic books sell more than deep philosophical books?

It's entertainment and attachment. Attachment to films/stars/genres, entertainment derived from those films/stars/genres.

You can't dictate what fans need to do, how they need to act, what they need to watch. You can't blame audiences. It's their time and money. It's because of them people are getting work. Without the masses, film industry would die an excruciating death.

That's how it is.

So, stop blaming audiences. Stop judging fans. Just do your work. You're getting paid for it. Please spare us with the moral high ground.

GrumpyTheCat thumbnail

I just love the way he speaks. 

pali001 thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Maroonporsche

If people just enjoy films than good

If others find enjoyment in the accolades and success their fav gets thats also good

Somehwat living vicariously through them... thats why most popular actors of that time has more fans as they are more likely to win (since award functions are basically popularity contests). If they dont win they start twitter wars #unfairawards. 

Really skilled and trained actors have no fandoms.