Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

vsbarry thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Indian american

Born and raised in america but identify myself as Indian first although I self identify more as american today 

Edited by vsbarry - 3 years ago
Ashley.Tisdale thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: grumpydwarf

That is the only time I really highlight unless someone asks me. Of course I word it differently. I often get confused for being hispanic a lot. So I have to tell them that I am Indian. They start speaking spanish and I start feeling weird because I took french in school. 

Ooh thats silly man, I never assumed that a white person is from America or UK only, idk why they do this 🤦🏻‍♀️

I think u should say you are American and if they start speaking Spanish you start speaking Hindi or whichever Indian language you are fluent in lol.

On a serious note you would be an American and if people ask or do any Spanish fancy stuff you can say you are an American of Indian origin.

Saying American-Indian would mean you have both citizenships while you are actually 100% American. And India does not allow dual citizenship.

blue-ice.1 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 5

Indian American-One motto in my life is ...NEVER TO FORGET YOUR ROOTS.

vsbarry thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Universities and some work places have to have a certain number of people from each race. It increases your chances of being selected basically. 

Not for like med school though. Where your ethnicity is actually can hurt you as indians here tend to set high standards 

Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Ashley.Tisdale

Ooh thats silly man, I never assumed that a white person is from America or UK only, idk why they do this 🤦🏻‍♀️

I think u should say you are American and if they start speaking Spanish you start speaking Hindi or whichever Indian language you are fluent in lol.

On a serious note you would be an American and if people ask or do any Spanish fancy stuff you can say you are an American of Indian origin.

Saying American-Indian would mean you have both citizenships while you are actually 100% American. And India does not allow dual citizenship.

Yeah I def wouldn't American-Indian. I know I can get into big trouble with law regarding my marriage rights among other things. I say things like my parents were born in India. I should have added that little detail in my original post. 👍🏼

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: blue-ice.1

Indian American-One motto in my life is ...NEVER TO FORGET YOUR ROOTS.

This song always reminds of my roots 😆

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsMEaG08kOw

Ashley.Tisdale thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7

Yeah I def wouldn't American-Indian. I know I can get into big trouble with law regarding my marriage rights among other things. I say things like my parents were born in India. I should have added that little detail in my original post. 👍🏼

Yes your rights are very important as a citizen. A small hyphen could make a hell of a difference in the meaning i.e American-Indian! 😊

Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail

Originally posted by: vsbarry

Not for like med school though. Where your ethnicity is actually can hurt you as indians here tend to set high standards 

"We are all aware that in the socioeconomic race, some people in America have enjoyed a 300-to-400-year head start. Thus, if you want the game to be played fairly you have to do things to minimize the effects of that advantage on others in the race. In addition, you have to stop those who formally enjoyed an unfair lead from cheating to regain that lead. " This is the reasoning most politicians use for affirmative actions.

What it basically implies is that because I am women of color. Say if I and a white male had the same bachelors degree gpa and LSAT score and were applying to law school. I would be given an extra advantage because I am a women of color. Regardless if the school already had more people of Indian origin than whites. 

It might sound unfair it actually prevents a lot institutional racism that plays out on the ground level in America. For example, schools are getting segregated again based on zip code. People who are more poor live in neighborhoods that have schools that are not as great as schools in rich neighborhoods. And often times those people end up being African American, Hispanic or of another race. The richer neighborhoods are filled with white people. That is just what the statistic indicate. I am sorry to say. Whose kids would be more likely to succeed if it weren't for affirmative action?

In a study done by sociologist Deval Pager, it was shown that a white man with a criminal record is more likely to be hired for a job than an African American man without a criminal record. 

But you are right despite the fact that we didn't have a head start. Indian/Asians/Chinese people in American beat whites in majority of the races. There are more Indian/Asian/Chinese CEOs, they richer than whites, in fact most Indians are in the top 1% in terms of money in America, they are more educated, and they are less likely to ever be convicted of a crime. A lot of politicians use these facts to argue against affirmative action. 😆But I don't agree with them because it does help fight against the institutional racism for other races. 

The only race we have not lead is being head of government. My dad's friends says I can set the trend. But it will be such a headache and a political career makes you age faster so no. 

Edited by grumpydwarf - 3 years ago
Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail

I felt the need to explain affirmative action in detail so people don't get the wrong notion of it. 

galaxyfan thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

I'm not Indian/desi or American. However if I'm asked I say I'm Canadian.

The only people that ask me about my ethnicity is white people.

Yes you are Canadian but what is your background?🤔