Members Lounge

Do you prefer the term "Indian American" or simply "American"?

Posted: 3 years ago

This is a question to all the Americans out there; if you're a second or third (or fourth and so on) generation American, then which term do you prefer to use while describing yourself? 

"Indian American" or simply "American"? What's the reason behind your choice? 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Indian American if I am applying for a job or what not ! Due to affirmative action benefits and highlighting that I am multi-lingual. American most commonly. Because everyone in America is technically from somewhere else unless you are Native American. 

Originally posted by: grumpydwarf

Indian American if I am applying for a job or what not ! Due to affirmative action benefits and highlighting that I am multi-lingual. American most commonly. Because everyone in America is technically from somewhere else unless you are Native American. 

What affirmative action benefits do Indians get in the USA?

Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Mahisa22

What affirmative action benefits do Indians get in the USA?

Universities and some work places have to have a certain number of people from each race. It increases your chances of being selected basically. 

Ashley.Tisdale thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7

Wouldn't that be American only? I don't see the reason to mention Indian as you are not a citizen of India. 

Gigi and Bella Hadid are second gen Americans and they're called American, not Israeli-Dutch-American based on their parentage. Or like Nina Dobrev is Canadian, not Bulgarian-Canadian despite being born in Bulgaria. Lilly Singh is an Indian by origin but she is known as a Canadian. 

In case you want to mention your ethnicity or multi-linguality in a college or work application wouldn't you state American of Indian origin. Similar to how Alia was born in India but chose British citizenship (which she got due to her mom being British) and she is known as a British citizen of Indian origin. 

Grumpydwarf24 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Ashley.Tisdale

Wouldn't that be American only? I don't see the reason to mention Indian as you are not a citizen of India. 

Gigi and Bella Hadid are second gen Americans and they're called American, not Israeli-Dutch-American based on their parentage. Or like Nina Dobrev is Canadian, not Bulgarian-Canadian despite being born in Bulgaria. Lilly Singh is an Indian by origin but she is known as a Canadian. 

In case you want to mention your ethnicity or multi-linguality in a college or work application wouldn't you state American of Indian origin. Similar to how Alia was born in India but chose British citizenship (which she got due to her mom being British) and she is known as a British citizen of Indian origin. 

That is the only time I really highlight unless someone asks me. Of course I word it differently. I often get confused for being hispanic a lot. So I have to tell them that I am Indian. They start speaking spanish and I start feeling weird because I took french in school. 

HearMeRoar thumbnail

American.

Hyphenation is an idiotic idea when it comes to nationality because I'm not an Indian citizen.

If it is race, there is no American race to hyphenate with Indian ðŸ˜†.

So yeah, Indian ethnicity, American nationality.

Edited by HearMeRoar - 3 years ago
Sharpener thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Canadian. Ethnically yes I'm Indian but never lived in India, don't see why I should include that in my nationality. 

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

American.

Hyphenation is an idiotic idea when it comes to nationality because I'm not an Indian citizen.

If it is race, there is no American race to hyphenate with Indian ðŸ˜†.

So yeah, Indian ethnicity, American nationality.

I agree that its idiotic to hyphenate yourself. Because that makes you only half American when you're a person who is full-fledged born and brought up in the US. 

Teddy Roosevelt was right when he railed against using hyphenation to describe one's national identity. 

Maroonporsche thumbnail

I was born and raised in USA. But parents are from Pakistan.