Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Swetha-Sai thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: togepe30

I saw the film yesterday, damn good.

I hope Anushka dabbles in other genres also if she is going to bring us such nice scripts each time. I can't watch the NH10s and Paatal Loks, its the evil in the society that scares me more than any horror story can.

Thanks much for your review! šŸ‘šŸ¼

Will watch the movie asap.. 

BinKuchKahe. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

I saw the film yesterday, damn good.

I hope Anushka dabbles in other genres also if she is going to bring us such nice scripts each time. I can't watch the NH10s and Paatal Loks, its the evil in the society that scares me more than any horror story can.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Paoli was good. Binodini was one of the most complex characters, she was the only one who knew the whole story. I wish they had explored her character a bit more to show why she is the way she is [Maybe they did not want to invite sympathy for her or justify her evilness with a backstory. Good move if that was the reason.]

Her character was like a metaphor for all that is bad in the society: instigation, bad mouthing, that song she keeps singing to shame Bulbbul. Its a haunting song. Actually every character signifies a different section of the society.

Satya: Oh the irony in that name. Clueless 'educated' aadmi. Returns to see his childhood friend whom he conveniently left behind 5 years ago and never got in touch with, completely transformed into a new person who seems to care about no one.

Sees her with the doctor and immediately assumes she is drunk in power and cheating his 'poor' elder brother. Takes over the financial reins of the house immediately, ofcourse. Binodini didn't even have to do much to poison his mind. Magnanimously forgives Bulbbul for having and affair. When nothing works he regretfully tells her that he wrote to his brother asking him what to do with her and the best thing would be to send her to her maternal home.šŸ‘ šŸ˜”

It was fitting they did not directly show whom she married. Coz all three brothers used and abused her.

IKR, my heart broke when he told her that he has written to her brother and she said 'tum sab ek jaise ho'.. i was hoping he would be different. SIGH.

I am curious about one thing.. why do you think the writer/director decided to make both brothers twins?

Daebak thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: BinKuchKahe.

IKR, my heart broke when he told her that he has written to her brother and she said 'tum sab ek jaise ho'.. i was hoping he would be different. SIGH.

I am curious about one thing.. why do you think the writer/director decided to make both brothers twins?

I feel like a lot in the movie was left open to interpretation. 

MAJOR SPOILERS

@Bold: You know what, I have been wondering about that. Lemme know if you felt the same. For a sec during the rape scene I felt like it was Thakur and not Mahendra. Could have been my imagination but my friend felt the same. But then they didn't pursue that in the movie so I thought it was my perception error.

But coz of that split second, I feel like, maybe they tried to make a point about a sickness in the older brother, an infantile impulse that is sexual and deviant which he cannot express as he is too proud to resort to this as the Thakur.

Even at the worst he assaults her and abandons her.

Whenever twins are shown in movies who have drastically different personalities they are like a foil to each other. One twin can do what other cannot. The older one always very polite except when he loses control and beats her up, and then he also leaves instead of staying and torturing her. I am not saying that in any way absolves him from what he did, just pointing out a characterization.

Also, Mahendra had in two previous instances tried to come near Bulbbul, once when the child bride enters the house, he calls her gudiya and tries to touch her. He is admonished by Thakur and asked to leave. And the second time when he catches hold of her plait on the swing, when the family is enjoying a picnic sort of thing. He gets angry then and Thakur sends Satya to placate him.

As I said, I think they did not delve too much into Binodini and Mahendra so that no one feels pity for them. These characters were pretty much kept to the background unless they had some vile things to do/say. Also, its a 1.5 hour film, zyada cover nahi kar sakte.

Itne me hi I feel like they could have shortened it by 5-8 mins. Beech me I was a bit bored, but I understand they needed that time to establish the plot.

Edited by togepe30 - 3 years ago
BinKuchKahe. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

I feel like a lot in the movie was left open to interpretation. 

MAJOR SPOILERS

@Bold: You know what, I have been wondering about that. Lemme know if you felt the same. For a sec during the rape scene I felt like it was Thakur and not Mahendra. Could have been my imagination but my friend felt the same. But then they didn't pursue that in the movie so I thought it was my perception error.

But coz of that split second, I feel like, maybe they tried to make a point about a sickness in the older brother, an infantile impulse that is sexual and deviant which he cannot express as he is too proud to resort to this as the Thakur.

Even at the worst he assaults her and abandons her.

Whenever twins are shown in movies who have drastically different personalities they are like a foil to each other. One twin can do what other cannot. The older one always very polite except when he loses control and beats her up, and then he also leaves instead of staying and torturing her. I am not saying that in any way absolves him from what he did, just pointing out a characterization.

Also, Mahendra had in two previous instances tried to come near Bulbbul, once when the child bride enters the house, he calls her gudiya and tries to touch her. He is admonished by Thakur and asked to leave. And the second time when he catches hold of her plait on the swing, when the family is enjoying a picnic sort of thing. He gets angry then and Thakur sends Satya to placate him.

As I said, I think they did not delve too much into Binodini and Mahendra so that no one feels pity for them. These characters were pretty much kept to the background unless they had some vile things to do/say. Also, its a 1.5 hour film, zyada cover nahi kar sakte.

Itne me hi I feel like they could have shortened it by 5-8 mins. Beech me I was a bit bored, but I understand they needed that time to establish the plot.

Same. During the rape scene, I was also thought it was Thakur, because his expressions in the scene were so Thakur-ish & very unlike Mahendra who had a childlike demeanour to him throughout the rest of the movie. Also, it was pretty much after the incident when Thakur beat Bulbbul out of his jealousy so when he entered the room, I almost knew that he was going to rape her. It was only when he started running to his room that I realised it was Mahendra. 

And you are right about Mahendraā€™s sexual deviances because Binodini was not at all surprised. The way she repeated the whole ā€˜chup rehnaā€™ dialogue to Bulbbul, it sounded like she was desensitized to the whole thing.

Makes me wonder why did Thakur marry young Bulbbul? Couldnā€™t he find a woman appropriate his age? I understand it might have been the tradition back then to marry young girls but still.. I wonder why. 

And what was his relationship with Binodini exactly? Because you see in the scene after Satya is sent to London, Binodini clearly tries to seduce Thakur & heā€™s unnerved, like heā€™s already used to it. 

And lastly, where did he go after beating Bulbbul? Why did he leave? 

Personally, I felt that the film was pretty flawless. Yes I have questions that were unanswered, but I think it was pretty good in telling Bulbbulā€™s story yet giving us a mere peek into the characters around Bulbbul. This show definitely could have shown us more, had it been a miniseries. But now that I think about it, are my questions really important? I donā€™t think so. The two biggest things they wanted to show came across very well - Bulbbulā€™s plight & her journey, society & how they have treated women.

Daebak thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

And what was his relationship with Binodini exactly? Because you see in the scene after Satya is sent to London, Binodini clearly tries to seduce Thakur & heā€™s unnerved, like heā€™s already used to it. 

And lastly, where did he go after beating Bulbbul? Why did he leave? 

Thakur was having an affair with Binodini.

In the chup rehna dialogue Binodini's last one was 'if he cannot, his brother will give you want you want'. That hinted at lust I guess. She hints at her relationship with Thakur more than once.

- When she comes to get young Bubbul who is playing with Satya. She says Thakur is calling for you, I dont know why since I take care of all his needs. Bulbbul ko to sirf Satya chahiye.

- She gets jealous in the park scene where Thakur is sweet-talking Bulbbul and trying to hold her hand.

- She wants that power that comes with being the Badi Bahu as is made apparent when she talks about silk and jewelry. Also jealous to see Thakur and Bulbbul, coz she can never have that with her husband since he is not mentally sound.

The chup rehna dialogue seemed like something she was told by her family when they got her married to an unstable person. Obviously she was forced into it and accepted it as her destiny and distracted herself from the marriage by having an affair with Thakur and being obsessed with clothes and jewellery. She said what was said to her maybe:

'Thoda pagal hai but paisa milega, respect milega, silk and jewels milega' etc. She probably was transported to the time when he hurt her similarly. She dresses Bulbbul like a doll, fake and lifeless.

Edited by togepe30 - 3 years ago
falsePromise thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8

The film is a visual treat... excellent cinematography...but weak script

FanofAreebsMum thumbnail

Makes me wonder why did Thakur marry young Bulbbul? Couldnā€™t he find a woman appropriate his age? I understand it might have been the tradition back then to marry young girls but still.. I wonder why.

i thought they implied that he was a paedophile.. when the sister in law says he is asking for his bride (when Bulbbul was 5 or 6) i was starting to get very upset thinking they'll show the aftermath..

the movie shows how every man in Bulbbul's "family" were grade A assholes.. including Satya.. he was so quick to jump into conclusion that she was having an affair.. so what if she was? if he had any ounce of humanity in him he would show empathy and think maybe she has a right to love too ...

Edited by Bulbbul_Pandey - 3 years ago
MaxMayfield thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Spoilers everywhere in the post below:

Was she terrific or what! I thought Vile Binodini was the perfect foil to Innocent Bulbul.  

The scene where she comes to tend to Bulbul after the horrific incident, it was one of the best piece of writing and dialogues I have seen..so impactful - in one of the reviews, somebody has written that the perpetrator is also a victim and hence the lines get blurred.  Binodini became the way she did, because of how horrifying her own life was. But it also showed how women are each other's worst enemy..for someone who was having an affair with her own brother in law, she judged Bulbul harshly too and became a catalyst in the crimes meted out to her - maybe because she thought Bulbul got everything - Badi Bahu and Thakurian status, Thakur himself and Satya as a friend too.   

Satya and Bulbul never really had an affair from what I understood right - theirs was a platonic relationship, with underlying undercurrent of attraction and first love because they both were such good friends and of same age and understood each other.  

Also can I just say how beautiful was the equation between Sudeep and Bulbul - true friends who stood by each other.  Loved it <3

Edit - I think some critics have judged this movie too harshly - it was never a true blue horror genre, but a commentary or a satire on "horror" of a life that women led or continue to lead..and chudail is just a personification for Maa Kali..so I found it rather dumb for them to wonder why there were no jump scare moments or why Chudail gets shot and bleeds? Isnt it clear that Bulbul was alive just like a normal human being, but got supernatural powers to avenge the wrongs done to her and other women, after the domestic violence and rape.  She wasnt a ghost or a celestial body still..its only right in the end when she comes to haunt Thakur as a ghost.

Edited by -FreeLancer- - 3 years ago
Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: RegressiveThug

Hate Story is child's play, watch her in Chatrak.

Ill be on the lookout šŸ˜Ž

FreeTheNipple thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

That's why I voted for Hate Story in sheep game, got eliminated!! šŸ¤”