Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Rhimjhimsawan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: Bulbbul_Pandey

was she the snide sister in law? yeah she was good too...

a question ..the middle aged pedo marrying a 5 year old.. was this the norm back in the day?  the movie was so unsettling ..

I don't know the exact facts but it seems like a common practice. Not sure if 5 year olds were married to middle aged men though. I always knew my grandmother was married at age 13 but only recently I realized my grandfather was in his late 30s if not in his 40s when they got married. I think even now West Bengal has the highest number of girls being married off before 18. 

Rhimjhimsawan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: togepe30

I saw the film yesterday, damn good.

I hope Anushka dabbles in other genres also if she is going to bring us such nice scripts each time. I can't watch the NH10s and Paatal Loks, its the evil in the society that scares me more than any horror story can.

SPOILERS AHEAD

It was fitting they did not directly show whom she married. Coz all three brothers used and abused her.

Oh!! I didn't even think of that. That was very good screenplay. 

I had to stop watch NH10 because it became too much for me and Paatal lok still gives me nightmares. The evil in people are way more scary than ghosts and chudails. 

Charaiveti thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Rhimjhimsawan

I don't know the exact facts but it seems like a common practice. Not sure if 5 year olds were married to middle aged men though. I always knew my grandmother was married at age 13 but only recently I realized my grandfather was in his late 30s if not in his 40s when they got married. I think even now West Bengal has the highest number of girls being married off before 18. 

No its Bihar then Rahasthan then Jharkhand then Up then Wb as per statistics.still very high no.Its such a shame.My own paternal grandmother was married when 15 i think n my grandfather was 25

Daebak thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: Rhimjhimsawan

Oh!! I didn't even think of that. That was very good screenplay. 

I had to stop watch NH10 because it became too much for me and Paatal lok still gives me nightmares. The evil in people are way more scary than ghosts and chudails. 

I may be reading too much into it. But I felt that was why they never showed whom she got married to. 

Siddu246 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: togepe30

I may be reading too much into it. But I felt that was why they never showed whom she got married to. 

I think she got married to all 3 of them. If you notice there is a glimpse of all 3 of them standing looking like grooms as a foreshadow. And it was actually common back then for them to marry off child brides to multiple men from the same family. This is why all 3 of them were shown to be infatuated with her. But only Indranil claimed her because he had the power over the other two, one is mentally unstable and other is just a child so he took her for himself only. That's why he was so jealous to verge he almost killed her and that's probably one of the reasons Mahendra raped her because Indranil was gone and he could do what he wanted to since the day of the wedding night. 

Moodyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

She was a product of this society, abused and carrying out the abuse, she couldn't break the cycle. Bulbbul realised that, even though she could kill her , i think not being able to dress up in expensive jewellery and exquisite sarees was her punishment.

The actress was phenomenal.

DanmeiLover thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Siddu246

I think she got married to all 3 of them. If you notice there is a glimpse of all 3 of them standing looking like grooms as a foreshadow. And it was actually common back then for them to marry off child brides to multiple men from the same family. This is why all 3 of them were shown to be infatuated with her. But only Indranil claimed her because he had the power over the other two, one is mentally unstable and other is just a child so he took her for himself only. That's why he was so jealous to verge he almost killed her and that's probably one of the reasons Mahendra raped her because Indranil was gone and he could do what he wanted to since the day of the wedding night. 

Not true. Only Indra got married to her . Satya was the " Neet Bar " of the wedding . Neet bar ( fake groom)   and some times even Neet Koney ( fake bride) is a standard part of any bengali wedding , where a little boy from the groom's side is dressed exactly like the groom and accompanies him , same goes for Neet koney. It's still very much part of Bengali weddings. However they take no part in marriage rituals for obvious reasons . Their role is limited to accompanying the groom. 

A special Aarti and Tilak are done to the groom by usually the bride's mother or elder sister , which in this case you'll notice had been done to Indra nath only , thereby showing that he is the groom. However due to Satya's neet bar attire Bulbul confused her as the groom. 

In those days , let alone marrying three people , even considering a woman marrying another man after the husband's demise was considered a grave sin and in the life time of husband , no other men were usually even allowed to touch a married woman , not even her father or brother . There was no exception to this rule. So no, it was not common , not even rare.

Even in these age and times , 10 years age difference in marriage is still pretty common in many bengali households and during those days 15 years was considered the standard scripture indicated age difference between man and woman . Even 20 years age difference was pretty much common. Even Rabindranath Tagore married a woman at least 12 years younger than him and by the time she was pregnant , she was only 13.

So these things were very common and encouraged by society . By the time a girl reached 14 , she's usually married , if not , then that is an exception.

The notion of paedophillia and perversion in the idea of sleeping with a child etc. these came with modern age and liberation movements. The time we see this story set in , usually as soon as the girl would start menstruating , she would be having regular intercourse with her husband and expected to conceive and produce a child as soon as possible,

So the marriage part at least was not perversion by any standard , considering the backdrop and set up of the story. 

Edited by HeartQuake - 3 years ago
Renee.Clare thumbnail
Most Liked (January 2024) 1 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 5

Just watched Bulbbul and she was really good. 

LadyMacbeth thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

Paoli was simply amazing in Bulbul....she, Rahul and Param.....they are seasoned, polished, brilliant actors.....so of course they'd shine ❤️❤️

LadyMacbeth thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: HeartQuake

Not true. Only Indra got married to her . Satya was the " Neet Bar " of the wedding . Neet bar ( fake groom)   and some times even Neet Koney ( fake bride) is a standard part of any bengali wedding , where a little boy from the groom's side is dressed exactly like the groom and accompanies him , same goes for Neet koney. It's still very much part of Bengali weddings. However they take no part in marriage rituals for obvious reasons . Their role is limited to accompanying the groom. 

A special Aarti and Tilak are done to the groom by usually the bride's mother or elder sister , which in this case you'll notice had been done to Indra nath only , thereby showing that he is the groom. However due to Satya's neet bar attire Bulbul confused her as the groom. 

In those days , let alone marrying three people , even considering a woman marrying another man after the husband's demise was considered a grave sin and in the life time of husband , no other men were usually even allowed to touch a married woman , not even her father or brother . There was no exception to this rule. So no, it was not common , not even rare.

Even in these age and times , 10 years age difference in marriage is still pretty common in many bengali households and during those days 15 years was considered the standard scripture indicated age difference between man and woman . Even 20 years age difference was pretty much common. Even Rabindranath Tagore married a woman at least 12 years younger than him and by the time she was pregnant , she was only 13.

So these things were very common and encouraged by society . By the time a girl reached 14 , she's usually married , if not , then that is an exception.

The notion of paedophillia and perversion in the idea of sleeping with a child etc. these came with modern age and liberation movements. The time we see this story set in , usually as soon as the girl would start menstruating , she would be having regular intercourse with her husband and expected to conceive and produce a child as soon as possible,

So the marriage part at least was not perversion by any standard , considering the backdrop and set up of the story. 

^^^^ These 👏

I don't know why no one reads about our history, what used to be the norm not many years ago....what is still going on.....unless we became aware of the evils that were common social practice, we can't shape the future the way we want. 😔

Edited by LadyMacbeth - 3 years ago