Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: Ennuyi

Its both economical and cultural thing.

India is a poor country, with huge population and very high realty cost. Not easy for every one to own a house. So if the parents own a house the children even when they are grown up live with the parents cos a) dont have to buy or rent a house b) they can take of their aging parents as when they were young their parents took care of them. 

India is anything but a "poor country". Not so when you look at the economy. India has high percentage of poor people, yes. Not the same thing as being a "poor country". 

hotchoco thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

No lifestyle choice determines if you are an adult or not. 

Adulthood is about how you think and how mature your mind is. 

Gul_bahar thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Charaiveti

I see both sidesšŸ¤”bcz of this living with parents thing in any crisis we hv more people to fall back on.also them being there can be such a guiding force n loving presence also.

But yeah it hinders independence.Doesnt let u be as self sufficient as you could be.also not to mention having totake permission from them even at late 20s

Best is living separate but very nearby in my opinionšŸ¤”

Best arrangement. One of the reasons I love Sarabhai v SarabhaišŸ˜†

Originally posted by: rkisnothot

No lifestyle choice determines if you are an adult or not. 

Adulthood is about how you think and how mature your mind is. 

Living with parents is more of a "cultural norm" rather than a choice. 

Ennuyi thumbnail

Originally posted by: Mahisa22

India is anything but a "poor country". Not so when you look at the economy. India has high percentage of poor people, yes. Not the same thing as being a "poor country". 

Its still a 3rd world country with huge no living in poverty, u can delude yourself by thinking otherwise.

Originally posted by: Ennuyi

Its still a 3rd world country with huge no living in poverty, u can delude yourself by thinking otherwise.

Being 3rd world means nothing. It simply meant a country which did not belong to either the US/NATO bloc or USSR bloc. 

And there's nothing to be deluded here. I said it has a high percentage of poor people, but that does not make s country poor. Look up the difference. 

tereliyex thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Answering this from a NRI perspective, but the cost of college and post grad is often so high here that people are burdened in student debt as soon as the leave college (most people I know finished their studies with around $70K+ in debt), the most sensible thing for them was to live with their parent while trying to stabilize their job and finances a bit. Obviously, some people still choose to move out but Iā€™m talking about the experiences Iā€™ve seen.

That being said, it is possible to live with your parents and not obey every word they say. Surely, moving out is a mark of independence, but I think a lot of people I know that live with their parents post-college have a mutual understanding with their parents. I know I do. They donā€™t keep tabs on where I am, they donā€™t know of my finances nor do they ask. Iā€™m not made to feel like a ā€œchildā€. However, I know that once my job is stable and so are my finances, I will move out. 

I donā€™t know if this post makes any sense but I kind of do think it is possible to be ā€œan adult in true senseā€ while still living with your parents. But then again, that depends more on the parents and how much of an understanding you have with them.

hotchoco thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Living with parents is more of a "cultural norm" rather than a choice. 

Yes but it became a norm because it comes with a lot of benefits. If you're single, it gives you a support system and there is always someone to come home to. It saves you from loneliness. If you're married, it can reduce some burdens. By then the parents are retired so they help with household chores or babysit the kids. It makes it much easier for everyone. 

I know in many cases it's a huge burden on the bahu but these days I've seen so many cases where everyone is happy. The in-laws are not like Hitler and everyone can do what they want. I've seen cases where the couple live with the girl's parents instead of the guy's too. I'm not talking about uneducated or small village type people but for most of the urban population, they are making their own choices about what kind of lifestyle they want. They're not doing it because of cultural norms.

Moodyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Depends on the parents ,child, the economic situation, really.

Maybe some people like living with their parents and they still can be adults, not mutually exclusive.

TrustNo1 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Grow balls maybe? And move out anyway. 

it's not like they are locking their kids inside the home. Parents don't agree with that decision and maybe emotionally blackmail that how can you leave your parents gave birth and looked after you.. 

Sadly most Indians kids don't have enough "balls" like you to say fu*k them and leave the house.