Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

surabhi01 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 3 years ago

How many times bhima was called as parth in this link. ? Only once  

Check virat parv and even drona parv where  it is only arjun called as parth many times  

The link which I gave in previous page  where arjun as parth  mention many times in kmg version

HearMeRoar thumbnail

No one has the obligation to.provide all citations of Bheema or Yudhishtira being called Partha. Chilli provided one. I've given you a few others. 

Unless you have inside track information on the situation in Aryavarta which contradicts the texts, the elder 3 Pandavas were all called Parthas at various points.

Side note: what a meaningless argument when Partha simply means Son of Pritha.

Edited by HearMeRoar - 3 years ago
FlauntPessimism thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: surabhi01

But when it is abhimanyu age as 16 clearly in kmg which is considered as reliable source then why it is not believable  

If I am not reading kmg version and stating facts with out reading kmg  then how I am giving link of kmg version 

I think I am. Wasting my time by giving link of kmg version which is considered  as reliable source

Because the KhandavDahan happened after Abhimanyu and it is this that Arjun got Gandeev. During Virat Parva, Dhritrashtra says that that Gandeev has been with Arjun for 33 years. 

Obviously KMG and CE are the earliest sources. But they do have contradictions in themselves, because they were not written by Vyas but by writers years after the death of Vyas. 

Hence we were discussing on which among the two verses could be true-- Abhimanyu being 16 or Arjun having Gandeev for 33 years. Both definitely can't be correct

surabhi01 thumbnail

Check this link where arjun called as so many times partha,  in comparison to bheem and yudhistar in virat parv

https://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m04/m04063.htm

Bheem and yudhistar rarely called as parth in comparison to arjun 

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Read Narada's conversation with Yudhishtira. So many references to him as Partha.

I'm not entertaining this discussion any longer. Pointless and migraine-inducing to debate when other person refuses to even look up freely available texts. 

NoraSM thumbnail

Check this link where arjun called as so many times partha,  in comparison to bheem and yudhistar in virat parv

https://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m04/m04063.htm

Bheem and yudhistar rarely called as parth in comparison to arjun 

I didn't know Arjun was called Parth because of Kunti, though I did read Bhima being addressed as "Parth" and all Pandavas (Including NS) were addressed as "Parthas", I assumed it meant warrior or something like that so I didn't look for the meaning 😯😯

The origin from Kunti is a fact

The name Parth got popular from Krishna-Parth relationship so I am assuming the meaning people are listing, is associated with Parth being Arjun's name, Arjun wasn't named Parth because it had a meaning related to archery 

PS - I can't help but think about Parth Samthan

Edited by NoraSM - 3 years ago
surabhi01 thumbnail

I have check rajlabh parv under sabha parv   in kmg where narad  refer to yudhistar as yudhistar only 

And this is link of kmg  where parth is written  and inside braces it is written arjuna 

It is like written this in partha ( arjuna)  in this link

https://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m01/m01210.htm

FlauntPessimism thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

I have check rajlabh parv under sabha parv   in kmg where narad  refer to yudhistar as yudhistar only 

And this is link of kmg  where parth is written  and inside braces it is written arjuna 

It is like written this in partha ( arjuna)  in this link

https://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m01/m01210.htm

Yes because there are many Parthas, so to specify which one is being referred here, they have put the name of the correct one in brackets

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Chiillii

Satyaki was addressed as Sini's descendent.

Also Patronym (father's name) matronym (mother's name)  and terranym (kingdom's name)  are not unique. For eg. All the 5 brothers were addressed as Pandavas. Kunti's three sons are addressed as Partha. Similarly two princesses from the same kingdom will be addressed by the same kingdom's name. So both Sita and Urmila are Vaidehi and Janaki. They can be addressed so in the presence of both as well. 

Infact in the epic I think when Pandu returns from Digvijaya his mother and step mother both are called as Kasya (princess of Kasi).

Just like people presume Parth is name of Arjun alone because in Gita Krishna addresses him a couple of times as Parth

It's not,  in war Parva at several places Bhima is addressed as Parth too. Similarly if Lakshman or even Rama or anybody else in their family has to address Urmila publicly they will use Vaidehi for her

I thought that Parth - son of Pritha - was reserved for Kunti's youngest son: while Kaunteya would have worked for Yudhisthir and Bhima as well, any 'private' names of Kunti that she had before she was adopted out from Surasena to Kuntibhoj could only be used on the youngest of her sons.  Which is why I've never read of either Yudhisthir, Bhima or even Karna being refered to as Parth.  Reason being that Pritha was Kunti's name when she was Surasena's daughter, and she was renamed to Kunti when he handed her over to Kuntibhoj

Chiillii thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

I thought that Parth - son of Pritha - was reserved for Kunti's youngest son: while Kaunteya would have worked for Yudhisthir and Bhima as well, any 'private' names of Kunti that she had before she was adopted out from Surasena to Kuntibhoj could only be used on the youngest of her sons.  Which is why I've never read of either Yudhisthir, Bhima or even Karna being refered to as Parth.  Reason being that Pritha was Kunti's name when she was Surasena's daughter, and she was renamed to Kunti when he handed her over to Kuntibhoj

Pritha was always Pandu's first wife's given name. The name was never changed. Kunti was her surname. When she got adopted by Kunti Bhoja her formal address by Surname changed to Kunti. 

All the three pandavas are Parth and all the three pandavas are Kounteya. Whenever one son was the main character in an event that son was addressed as Partha or Kounteya. In Dyut Sabha Yudhishtir was the main character he is addressed as Partha when Vyasa is taking about Bhima Karna fights Bhima is addressed as Partha. When Krishna is giving Gita gyan to Arjun he calls Arjun as Partha

That is why I was asking Surabhi to read the entire epic each sentence. 

When each character is talked about in Public they are either addressed by father or mother's name of respect. 

Yudhishtir and Bhima were born the same way from Pritha as Arjun was,  I specifically asked people to read War Parva because there Bhima is addressed as Partha every time he fought with someone or killed Duryodhan's brother.  When he fights with Rakshasa in his younger days there too he is addressed as Partha

Similarly when Vyasa talks about Arjun he uses Partha. When he talks about Yudhishtir doing something he uses Parth again

It is common sense, I am really sick of explaining  Kunti was Pritha's surname from her father it was not her name

Partha was all the three brothers surname from their mother it was not Arjuna's name he does not have copyright over it 

Really  can no one understand the difference between name and surname. You know the famous actor Anil Kapoor. If everyone calls him Mr.  Kapoor that will not become his name

Because it is his surname. his older brother is also called Mr.  Kapoor because he is Boney Kapoor. His younger brother is also called Mr. Kapoor because he is Sanjaya Kapoor. If Anil Kapoor has more work and is more publicly present does it give him Copyright to be called Mr.  Kapoor

Year thoda Dimag ka upyogg Bhi Kar liya karo

Edited by Chiillii - 3 years ago