Did Bhansali really do wonders for Deepika's career?

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 3 years ago

Yes, I know it's a big deal he chose her as his muse or whatever and gave her those much-coveted roles as Leela, Mastani and Padmavaati. But did he really concentrate on Deepika's acting skills or just try to make her look beautiful? I think her worst performance till date is Padmavat. Bhansali thought he had cracked the code for her by showing her stoic face - keeping her dialogues minimal - not giving her tough scenes, etc. Her performance centred around her beauty and elegance. 

I feel he didn't really exploit her acting skills like say, an Imtiaz Ali or Shoojit Sircar could. He typecast her and now people have a hard time remembering what she's capable of.

Good thing is, Chapaak, despite is its commercial failure, did more for her career than all 3 films of Bhansali's combined. She was really good as Malti. If people can forget the ugly controversy just before it, I think they will remember her perf. in the movie as the main highlight.

Discuss.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ponymo thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

I don't think Chhapaak made any impact whatsoever. People just skipped the film. At least in Bhansali films she got some good songs that people will remember for a long time.

Acting wise, yeah SLB did not help her. She hoped for him to do what he did to Ash's career (HDDCS and Devdas are her favourite films). That didn't happen.

She couldn't capitalize on her 2013 peak to scale more heights, and over-dependence on SLB and confused strategy wrt Hollywood were major reasons.

Renee.Clare thumbnail
Most Liked (January 2024) 1 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 5

More than Deepika, Bhansali did wonders for Ranveer Singh for sure. Despite of good debut with Band Baja Barat, it was Bhansali's movies which made him to get into the league of top stars. While, Deepika was more criticised in Bhansali movies in comparison to her other movies like Piku . So, I don't think Bhansali actually did wonders for her. And Deepika herself said that Piku is her most favorite film over Bajirao mastani and Padmavat that proves she herself thinks that movies like Piku (which didn't belong to Bhansali established her as a better actress than Mastani and Padmavat). And in Bhansali movies, it was Ranveer her co star got more credit than her and even awards. 

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Ram Leela was good 

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Curious_Renee

More than Deepika, Bhansali did wonders for Ranveer Singh for sure. Despite of good debut with Band Baja Barat, it was Bhansali's movies which made him to get into the league of top stars. While, Deepika was more criticised in Bhansali movies in comparison to her other movies like Piku . So, I don't think Bhansali actually did wonders for her. And Deepika herself said that Piku is her most favorite film over Bajirao mastani and Padmavat that proves she herself thinks that movies like Piku (which didn't belong to Bhansali established her as a better actress than Mastani and Padmavat). And in Bhansali movies, it was Ranveer her co star got more credit than her and even awards. 

Exactly👍🏼

you2 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

Yes.

He gave her songs and dances,which will be remembered decades later.

The Deewani Mastani look,the entire  song and dance..will never be forgotten.

The 3 title roles,the aura that he has given her..Someday,someone will debut to match her.

Taify thumbnail

You conveniently forgot Ram Leela and concentrated solely on Padmavat.

Cpt.DudleySmith thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 3

His last 2 films did nothing for DP. She could have practically sat at home for 5 years post Piku and she would still be in the same position that she is today.

anjs thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Ram leela was good but after that Ranveer became his muse and I think Deepika also didnt mind cause she was dating Ranveer and wanted him to do well..... also she never thought that it will be this big gap for her career in future.......

if that movie with Irrfan Khan had happened then it wouldve been another feather for her above Bansali movies and wouldve consolidated her career further.......unfortunately for her that didnt work out and her hollywood move also became a dud........

blUeNoSed thumbnail

Say whatever you want about Bhansali, his films have a very long life. His films are an introduction to Hindi cinema for lot of non-Hindi watchers. So if anything it has cemented her position very firmly in Bollywood for a long time, like Aishwarya. His films have been watched and remembered long after the release,.esp the songs. 

She definitely has way better performances in Tamasha and Piku, but these films will make her an Icon if not already.