Agni_Jytsona thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 4 years ago
  •  Karna that foremost of all wielders of the bow went to where the bow was, and quickly raising it strung it and placed the arrows on the string. And beholding the son of Surya--Karna of the Suta tribe--like unto fire, or Soma, or Surya himself, resolved to shoot the mark, those foremost of bowmen--the sons of Pandu--regarded the mark as already shot and brought down upon the ground. But seeing Karna, Draupadi loudly said, 'I will not select a Suta for my lord.' Then Karna, laughing in vexation and casting glance at the Sun, threw aside the bow already drawn to a circle.

• Then Arjuna approached the bow and stood there like a mountain. And walking round that bow, and bending his head unto that giver of boons--the lord Isana--and remembering Krishna also, he took it up. And that bow which Rukma, Sunitha, Vakra, Radha's son, Duryodhana, Salya, and many other kings accomplished in the science and practice of arms, could not even with great exertion, string, Arjuna, the son of Indra, that foremost of all persons endued with energy and like unto the younger brother of Indra (Vishnu) in might, strung in the twinkling of an eye. And taking up the five arrows he shot the mark and caused it to fall down on the ground

The above two stanzas are contradictory while first talks about drapaudi rejecting karna. The second talks about him not being able to even string the bow. 

Plus CE totally discard the sutputra comment as a later interpolation. So i am taking that Karna failed in the Swamyvaar. 

Edited by Poorabhforever - 4 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sanskruthi thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7

Karna is definitely a sahitaa(companion) in swayamvara also Dhrist clearly wants a person of equal lineage (Kuleya yuktam) to participate so karna's not participating and just being a companion is possible. Also him losing is very much possible as mentioned in NE and SE, c'mon he did not win all the wars.

The problem is until 19th century probably Bombay edition was considered one of the most trusted which has the in(famous) "na aham varyami sutam" first impressions are barely forgotten also unfortunately no Sanskrit translator provides explanation πŸ˜’

Bottom line KMG contradicts itself at many places. So ofc we can all log out and believe what we wantπŸ˜†

Edited by Sanskruthi - 4 years ago
Agni_Jytsona thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 9

Originally posted by: Sanskruthi

Karna is definitely a sahitaa(companion) in swayamvara also Dhrist clearly wants a person of equal lineage (Kuleya yuktam) to participate so karna's not participating and just being a companion is possible. Also him losing is very much possible as mentioned in NE and SE,  he did not win all the wars

The problem is until 19th century probably Bombay edition was considered one of the most trusted which has the in(famous) "na aham varyami sutam" first impressions are barely forgotten also unfortunately no Sanskrit translator provides explanation πŸ˜’

KMG contradicts itself at many places. So ofc we can all log out and believe what we wantπŸ˜†

True that s why i am thinking of re reading few portion and keep on adding here. 

CaptainSpark thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Radha's son - is it Adhirath's wife Radha and was Karna the only one there or his brothers were also present? πŸ˜†

Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Gita Press edition mentions in a footnote that Karna failed to string the bow. The C. Rajagopalachari version also mentions that he failed. 

Sanskruthi thumbnail

Originally posted by: Wistfulness

Gita Press edition mentions in a footnote that Karna failed to string the bow. The C. Rajagopalachari version also mentions that he failed. 

I'm aware of the foot note, what I'm saying is Dhrishtadyumn clearly states that the person with equal lineage would marry Draupadi.  She belongs to highborn Kshatriya clan now only Brahmanas/kshatriya's can win her.  Karna is considered lowborn one may argue Suta is subcaste of Kshatriya but nonetheless it's inferior. So it's one of the possibility he did not participate at all. So even if no Kshatriya could string the bow Drau was not running out of grooms, Brahmins were still left,  why'd they allow Karna? 

Like I mentioned "na aham varyami sutam" is a part of BE, so either he's about to hit or completely fails, CE just chose middle way I guess,  not like it changes many events she either way gets married to Ps so maybe they reached the conclusion that way. But yeah one can interpret it any way😊

Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

I'm aware of the foot note, what I'm saying is Dhrishtadyumn clearly states that the person with equal lineage would marry Draupadi.  She belongs to highborn Kshatriya clan now only Brahmanas/kshatriya's can win her.  Karna is considered lowborn one may argue Suta is subcaste of Kshatriya but nonetheless it's inferior. So it's one of the possibility he did not participate at all. So even if no Kshatriya could string the bow Drau was not running out of grooms, Brahmins were still left,  why'd they allow Karna? 

Like I mentioned "na aham varyami sutam" is a part of BE, so either he's about to hit or completely fails, CE just chose middle way I guess,  not like it changes many events she either way gets married to Ps so maybe they reached the conclusion that way. But yeah one can interpret it any way😊

That's quite a possibility. I wouldn't deny it. 

CaptainSpark thumbnail

I agree with you here, because there was no reason why Karna would be invited and allowed to participate here unless he was invited because he was the King of Anga. 

Sanskruthi thumbnail

Originally posted by: CaptainSpark

Radha's son - is it Adhirath's wife Radha and was Karna the only one there or his brothers were also present? πŸ˜†

Brishti dii Karna atleast was a king and did not even come with minimal advantages that Ps brought for her,  what good were his foster brother/s  why'd they be allowed? πŸ˜† 

CaptainSpark thumbnail

Brishti dii Karna atleast was a king and did not even come with minimal advantages that Ps brought for her,  what good were his foster brother/s  why'd they be allowed? πŸ˜† 

That's what I am thinking. I am still wondering why even Karna was invited if indeed Suta is inferior?