Was the Mahabharata real?

CaptainSpark thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 4 years ago

This question is something which intrigues me and I have been trying to read up on this. I know there is no YES or NO as an answer, but if you all have any points regarding this please do share. 

Is what we know as Mahabharata actual history or just fiction? 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Mannmohanaa thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3

I feel the Bhagvad Gita is the biggest written validation that the Mahabharata existed and is REAL.

And these are some additional points:

https://www.speakingtree.in/allslides/mahabharata-might-have-actually-happened

CaptainSpark thumbnail

Wasn't Bhagvat Geeta not originally a part of the epic? Mahabharata was never written down until much later. It passed on as a tale of the bards. I think there's enough evidence that much has been added later on into the epic including the Bhagwat Geeta. 

Mannmohanaa thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3

I have no technical idea into this but logically speaking, how can Bhagvad Geeta not be a part of Mahabharata? Cause it was very much a part of the war with Arjun and Sanjay both being audience to the divine words.

And question - If Ved Vyas had 'written' the epic then that should be the original text isn't it? 

ImaginativeGirl thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Yes, there is no YES or NO here. 

People of faith will believe it definitely happened.

Historians will say that it's probably myth as no such significant archaeological proof is available.

According to Aryan Invasion theory and Western theory, the great battle happened around 950 bc.

However now the Aryan Invasion theory has been questioned and many think it's a western propaganda to make us believe that the Aryans came to India from the West.

I personally want to believe it happened and would like to have proof of the same, however, even if it turns out that Vyasa was just a master story teller and nothing happened in real, I would still respect and love Mahabharata from the core of my heart.

Many  literature pieces are just fiction, but I love them the same as if it were real.

My two cents ðŸ˜Š

CaptainSpark thumbnail

Originally posted by: Mannmohanaa

I have no technical idea into this but logically speaking, how can Bhagvad Geeta not be a part of Mahabharata? Cause it was very much a part of the war with Arjun and Sanjay both being audience to the divine words.

And question - If Ved Vyas had 'written' the epic then that should be the original text isn't it? 

Ved Vyas did not WRITE anything. There is no text written by Vyasa. It is mentioned in the Mahabharata that 

Vyasa TOLD the story to Vaishampayana, his shishya. 

Vaishampayana was called to Janamejaya (Arjun's great grandson and Parikshit's son)'s Yagya where he narrated the story to Janamejaya to explain to him why the Nagas killed his father Parikshit. (Due to revenge for Khandavdahan). 

Vaishampayana also told the story to Janamejaya. In this yagya, many Sautis aka the bards (whose job is to tell stories around in the form of songs) also heard the epic and went around telling this great tale to the next generation and this generation told the next one. 

This is mentioned in the epic. Hence, when the epic was being written down, it wasn't Vyasa who was writing it but the one who was the first to say this story to his shishya. 

Also, Bhagwat Geeta was definitely not a part of the epic then. I will find you some dates and facts and elaborate more on this. 

sonnet11 thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

MB has always been seen as an itihaas. Itihaas literally translates into 'this is witnessed by me' which equates to Ved Vyasa, the original author to whom it is attributed, has actually witnessed it. 

It is also very possible that it was really written on leaves or other substances but those materials could not survive because of their biodegradable nature. 

However, the epic has gone through a lot of editions for almost more than 3 millenials. 

I also read some newspaper articles where archaelogists have unearthed materials which act as evidence of the Kuru era. I don't have the links to those articles right now. But you can search on the internet regarding some recent excavations. 

NoraSM thumbnail

I don't think it's real 

It's fascinating like Harry Potter world, Game of Thrones world and Marvel Universe with millions of theories

The writer of Mahabharata is definitely a good one considering how he handled so many characters and gave them an arc

CaptainSpark thumbnail

Originally posted by: AnkitaPurka66

Yes, there is no YES or NO here. 

People of faith will believe it definitely happened.

Historians will say that it's probably myth as no such significant archaeological proof is available.

According to Aryan Invasion theory and Western theory, the great battle happened around 950 bc.

However now the Aryan Invasion theory has been questioned and many think it's a western propaganda to make us believe that the Aryans came to India from the West.

I personally want to believe it happened and would like to have proof of the same, however, even if it turns out that Vyasa was just a master story teller and nothing happened in real, I would still respect and love Mahabharata from the core of my heart.

Many  literature pieces are just fiction, but I love them the same as if it were real.

My two cents ðŸ˜Š

If we totally disregard all dynasties before the Nanda kings, we will also be trusting the Westerners. This is so as the Westerners are the ones who came to India and noted the existence of this Kings and hence it's considered authentic. Many say Kautilya and Chanakya are not the same and whether Chanakya was one person as we imagine today. So, only Westerners can't be trusted. 

Now, there were definitely rulers before Nandas. And the kingdoms mentioned in MB did exist. Kuru, Panchal, Dwaraka as well. So what I gather is, I think the war did happen, but whether all the characters existed for real is questionable. 

I am very very eager to research on Krishna's existence. I personally don't believe he was God. (no wish to hurt any sentiments. This is my view and I respect all those who workship him. It's their view.) If he really did exist, he was the greatest strategist and politician by a mile, beating Chanakya who is considered to be one of the best strategists in India. 

But yes, as a literature student, MB will never fail to intrigue me. 

sonnet11 thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: CaptainSpark

Wasn't Bhagvat Geeta not originally a part of the epic? Mahabharata was never written down until much later. It passed on as a tale of the bards. I think there's enough evidence that much has been added later on into the epic including the Bhagwat Geeta. 

Like the entire epic has gone through a lot of edits and additions, I am of the opinion that so was BG. I don't think it would be correct to say that it was not the part of the epic neither would it be right to say that it was part of the epic in its entirety. The truth is somewhere in between. 

BG is the Indian philosophy regarding God, liberation (moksha), life, universe and in a way, a summarized version of the Vedas and the Upanishads. One can view Lord Krishna as the ultimate Source of all that is which is the Dvaita school of philosophy (like the likes of Meerabai) or can interpret it in Vishista Advaita way or can take the course popularized by Adi Shankaracharya, Advaita or can simply use it as a guide in everyday life.