Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

basherz thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Originally posted by: Minionite

Sony actually cares more about TRP than the other channels. SP, Colors, and Zee might still keep a show on air for a few extra weeks to at least shows finish properly, but Sony will axe shows right away.

They ended YUDKBH suddenly because TRPs fell a little bit. Now they've left fans hanging about a second season. And yet they're showing YUDKBH again during lockdown.

@ Bold: Exactly. Just another week. Let the producers at least end the story respectfully. Give the fans some closure. The ending obviously won't be what we were looking for, but at least it'll be something.

Sony doesn't care about TRP much compared to others. YUDKBH had a long run & its also wrong stating no dailies ran for 2 years in Sony. To be on safe zone in Sony, you need to have a minimum 0.4+ TRP, the higher the better chances for show's survival. The bigger the budget of the show, the more TRPs you need.

Sony tends to rerun youth related shows mostly - CID, Crime Patrol - since YUDKHB falls in the same bracket, its getting a run as well.

BALH ran for 3 or 4 years, KHTV ran for more than 2 years as well, Ganesha & Sai are going on for more than a year or 2 now.   Most of the Sony shows are finite, if the ratings are terrible - they pull the plug. They are a business, can't do charity work.

The problem with Beyhadh 2 over here is.. Jennifer doesn't want to do webseries for Beyhadh, to show their conclusion.

Sony's later season is usually filled with KBC - which is a daily & TRP puller, most probably KBC would be back with in a month or 2 once the shootings resume.

Someone was talking about why IIM was shut, that show lost its track way back & the show was actually extended, as the next show of Sony wasn't ready. Show lost most of its fans long back. I have no clue about PB, so I won't comment.

Edited by basherz - 4 years ago
basherz thumbnail

But that's just it naa. Sony let the show run for 2 good years. No Sony daily show has run that long if I think about it. Weekend shows for sure, but not dailies.

And then the bigger issue was the way they just ended it abruptly. I haven't watched the show, but I used to moderate that forum and their biggest problem was that Sony just took the show off air almost within 2 weeks. There was no time for stories to wrap up properly.

Sony tends to do that,  most of their shows end with short notices. They don't like the drama of people sending petitions & what not.. if the decision comes a lot earlier. PH are usually given signs much earlier, the smarter ones grasp it.

And as in my earlier comment, Sony has even 4-5 year ran shows - BALH. Few war kindda stories had a long run as well.. Don't remember the name of the shows though but they had abrupt endings after the leaps - closing tracks with in a week sort of ones.

Minionite thumbnail

Originally posted by: basherz

Sony doesn't care about TRP much compared to others. YUDKBH had a long run & its also wrong stating no dailies ran for 2 years in Sony. To be on safe zone in Sony, you need to have a minimum 0.4+ TRP, the higher the better chances for show's survival. The bigger the budget of the show, the more TRPs you need.

Sony tends to rerun youth related shows mostly - CID, Crime Patrol - since YUDKHB falls in the same bracket, its getting a run as well.

BALH ran for 3 or 4 years, KHTV ran for more than 2 years as well, Ganesha & Sai are going on for more than a year or 2 now.   Most of the Sony shows are finite, if the ratings are terrible - they pull the plug. They are a business, can't do charity work.

The problem with Beyhadh 2 over here is.. Jennifer doesn't want to do webseries for Beyhadh, to show their conclusion.

Sony's later season is usually filled with KBC - which is a daily & TRP puller, most probably KBC would be back with in a month or 2 once the shootings resume.

Someone was talking about why IIM was shut, that show lost its track way back & the show was actually extended, as the next show of Sony wasn't ready. Show lost most of its fans long back. I have no clue about PB, so I won't comment.

I actually feel that Sony cares about TRP as much as the others. Yes their minimum is lower, which keeps most of their shows safe, but in their case the moment a show falls below that minimum it is mistreated.

Let's talk about a few examples:

• CID - The moment the show fell below 1.0 TRP, Sony started playing with its timings. Sometimes they would air an episode at 10:30, sometimes at 10, sometimes they just wouldn't show it. Then they gave only a notice of like 2 weeks. PH didn't have time to give a proper closure to a show that ran for over 20 years.
  • Humsafars - The show was a finite series that was cut short when TRPs fell one week. PH had to rush to wrap up the show and even then it was not a great ending by any means.
  • 2025 Jaane Aage Hoga Kya and Tujhko Hai Salaam Zindagi - I've given these examples before. These shows weren't even given proper endings. Like B2, IIM, and PB, they were just pulled off air. Friday they had an episode with a precap, Monday a new show was airing in their timeslot.
  • Amber Dhara - This show aired at a time when dailies easily ran for years and years. Pulled off air within a 2-week notice period.
  • Maharana Pratap - This was a historical. It ran for over 2 years. But they suddenly leaped from teenage years to adulthood and then rushed through that entire historical time because Sony wanted to end the show.
  • Ek Deewana Tha, Ek Duje Ke Vaaste, Ek Rishta Saajedhari Ka, Ek Nayi Pehchan, Hum Ladkiyan - These are all shows that were finite series that were not allowed to run their course because TRPs fell. But they've decided to bring back a second season of EDKV.

Sony allows some shows to run their course, but more often than not they will pull shows off air early and in at least 2 cases they pulled the shows off air before they even finished their stories. To date I have no idea how both shows were planned to end.

On B2, IIM, and PB, I think I can understand Sony's thinking.

• B2 was high cost and not high TRPs. So, of course, it got pulled.
  • IIM is like you said. It got extended, but the story went to pieces.
  • The same is with PB. They suddenly killed Hanuman and Babita and those 2 were the soul of the show. It just wasn't the same without them.
xNandix thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

I actually feel that Sony cares about TRP as much as the others. Yes their minimum is lower, which keeps most of their shows safe, but in their case the moment a show falls below that minimum it is mistreated.

• CID - The moment the show fell below 1.0 TRP, Sony started playing with its timings. Sometimes they would air an episode at 10:30, sometimes at 10, sometimes they just wouldn't show it. Then they gave only a notice of like 2 weeks. PH didn't have time to give a proper closure to a show that ran for over 20 years.
  • Humsafars - The show was a finite series that was cut short when TRPs fell one week. PH had to rush to wrap up the show and even then it was not a great ending by any means.
  • 2025 Jaane Aage Hoga Kya and Tujhko Hai Salaam Zindagi - I've given these examples before. These shows weren't even given proper endings. Like B2, IIM, and PB, they were just pulled off air. Friday they had an episode with a precap, Monday a new show was airing in their timeslot.
  • Amber Dhara - This show aired at a time when dailies easily ran for years and years. Pulled off air within a 2-week notice period.
  • Maharana Pratap - This was a historical. It ran for over 2 years. But they suddenly leaped from teenage years to adulthood and then rushed through that entire historical time because Sony wanted to end the show.
  • Ek Deewana Tha, Ek Duje Ke Vaaste, Ek Rishta Saajedhari Ka, Ek Nayi Pehchan, Hum Ladkiyan - These are all shows that were finite series that were not allowed to run their course because TRPs fell. But they've decided to bring back a second season of EDKV.

Sony allows some shows to run their course, but more often than not they will pull shows off air early and in at least 2 cases they pulled the shows off air before they even finished their stories. To date I have no idea how both shows were planned to end.

• The same is with PB. They suddenly killed Hanuman and Babita and those 2 were the soul of the show. It just wasn't the same without them.

Don’t forget Pritvi Vallabh and Bade bhaiya ke dulhania. The former was supposed to be a biweekly finite show for 80 episodes but Sony cancelled it after 45 episodes. The latter was another finite show for 100 episodes I think yet the channel axed the show after 57 episodes. 

Sony is just as TRP minded like the other channels. 

Minionite thumbnail

Originally posted by: xNandix

Don’t forget Pritvi Vallabh and Bade bhaiya ke dulhania. The former was supposed to be a biweekly finite show for 80 episodes but Sony cancelled it after 45 episodes. The latter was another finite show for 100 episodes I think yet the channel axed the show after 57 episodes. 

Sony is just as TRP minded like the other channels. 

Oh if I named every show I could think of, my list would have been about 3 pages long on Word. I just chose a few.

Bade Bhaiyya Ki Dulhania was a good show. I enjoyed watching that. Was sad when it got cancelled suddenly like that, but I'm used to it with Sony.

basherz thumbnail

I did say Sony does care for TRP & they pull plug off their shows with only a week or 2 notice as well - but they're better compared to the other channels & we don't get to weird leaps in shows compared to other channels. Take an example of Rang Rasiya in Colors, story used to change almost every week for the last month or 2 - hero who hated mom his entire life, forgives her in a single episode.

EKDV was pulled because of Nikita, there were lots of gossips back then. Nikita was unwell, she wanted a long break - PH wasn't ready to give a long break & Channel decided to pull the plug. Even  Nikita gave a interview later, as she was made a scapegoat by the PH - for some reason I can't find them anymore.

Pratap was a high budget show not breaking even after the leap, I recall reading some financial aspects back then by someone from production team, it was leaked on social media. Show was running around 10-20% loss.

lol ! Lets not talk about 2025, that was one horrible piece of story I have ever seen, an experiment gone horribly wrong. I didn't like Humsafars or the pairing - so no comments on it. This is the 1st time I'm hearing about Zindagi.

The worst probably I have seen was Punar Vivah on Zee, on how 1st season was abruptly ended, season 2 started immediately by the same PH of YUDKB .. actors of season 1 were short of words on how to explain the happening. The same happened on another show on Zee which I used to watch - owner's daughter falling in love with her servant, she moves in with him after marriage - don't recall the name of the show (hero used to call leading lady as "Baby ji"), show was pulled off in Sony style - with just 1 week notice, the show had decent ratings too - it was Ego probs with CV & channel.

CID was going haywire for a long while.. Its a bit like Adaalat.. so I don't mind if they didn't give proper ending, it wasn't like the English shows like NCIS or NYPD series, which had continuation from their earlier episodes & series.

Basically my expectation from tv channels is really low, doesn't matter whether its Indian show or English 😆

Minionite thumbnail

Originally posted by: basherz

I did say Sony does care for TRP & they pull plug off their shows with only a week or 2 notice as well - but they're better compared to the other channels & we don't get to weird leaps in shows compared to other channels. Take an example of Rang Rasiya in Colors, story used to change almost every week for the last month or 2 - hero who hated mom his entire life, forgives her in a single episode.

EKDV was pulled because of Nikita, there were lots of gossips back then. Nikita was unwell, she wanted a long break - PH wasn't ready to give a long break & Channel decided to pull the plug. Even  Nikita gave a interview later, as she was made a scapegoat by the PH - for some reason I can't find them anymore.

Pratap was a high budget show not breaking even after the leap, I recall reading some financial aspects back then by someone from production team, it was leaked on social media. Show was running around 10-20% loss.

lol ! Lets not talk about 2025, that was one horrible piece of story I have ever seen, an experiment gone horribly wrong. I didn't like Humsafars or the pairing - so no comments on it. This is the 1st time I'm hearing about Zindagi.

The worst probably I have seen was Punar Vivah on Zee, on how 1st season was abruptly ended, season 2 started immediately by the same PH of YUDKB .. actors of season 1 were short of words on how to explain the happening. The same happened on another show on Zee which I used to watch - owner's daughter falling in love with her servant, she moves in with him after marriage - don't recall the name of the show (hero used to call leading lady as "Baby ji"), show was pulled off in Sony style - with just 1 week notice, the show had decent ratings too - it was Ego probs with CV & channel.

CID was going haywire for a long while.. Its a bit like Adaalat.. so I don't mind if they didn't give proper ending, it wasn't like the English shows like NCIS or NYPD series, which had continuation from their earlier episodes & series.

Basically my expectation from tv channels is really low, doesn't matter whether its Indian show or English 😆

@ Bold: That's best. No to low expectations. At least you don't feel hurt when channels and PHs do this to your shows. I've come to expect nothing from Indian TV now. Yet somehow I'm still hurt over Beyhadh 2's unceremonious ending like this.

I don't think I've watched a show on Zee in a long time. I watched Woh Apna Sa for like a month, but that was the last Zee show I watched I feel. I think before that the last show I watched on Zee was probably Hum Paanch.

mayavi_26 thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Well for whatever reasons sony off air their fictions soon they will recover their lossess with their trump card kbc I read it will get back soon , post lock down .they air kbc in daily soaps slot & will recover atleadt 60 % lossess unka kuch nahin jayega
asmaanixx thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 3 years ago

I completely understand the TRP game here, but I still find it unfair and disrespectful for the viewers, PHs, actors etc. Pulling a show off air is fine, but at least have the decency to let these stories to come to a satisfactory conclusion.