YUDHISTHIR'S RIGHTEOUSNESS?

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 4 years ago

YUDHISTHIR is the eldest of Pandav brothers AKA Dharmaraj. In the epic Mahabharat Yudhisthir after ruling Hastinapur walks with his brother s, draupadi and a dog to heaven where he loses his brothers and draupadi one by one.  In the end , As he enquires about his brothers and draupadi he is shown the door of narkalok before entering swarglok. This is based on his action in his lifetime when dronacharya asks him if weather ashwattama is slain in the battle, and he says half a lie. 

In the chauser, when the play commences he allows the opposition to set all the rules, puts out everything ( his wealth, kingdom, all the das/ dasis, people of indraprast, his brothers, wife ) Is this not against the principles of dharma? 

In a different yug, lord ram an epitome of righteousness put s up interests of people of his kingdom at the highest peril. Also, so does King Bharat ( Ancestor of Yudhisthir )

How is the justice of Yudhisthir with regards to his karma right in this context?

Originally posted by Vibhav1981

YUDHISTHIR is the eldest of Pandav brothers AKA Dharmaraj. In the epic Mahabharat Yudhisthir after ruling Hastinapur walks with his brother s, draupadi and a dog to heaven where he loses his brothers and draupadi one by one.  In the end , As he enquires about his brothers and draupadi he is shown the door of narkalok before entering swarglok. This is based on his action in his lifetime when dronacharya asks him if weather ashwattama is slain in the battle, and he says half a lie. 

In the chauser, when the play commences he allows the opposition to set all the rules, puts out everything ( his wealth, kingdom, all the das/ dasis, people of indraprast, his brothers, wife ) Is this not against the principles of dharma? 

In a different yug, lord ram an epitome of righteousness put s up interests of people of his kingdom at the highest peril. Also, so does King Bharat ( Ancestor of Yudhisthir )

How is the justice of Yudhisthir with regards to his karma right in this context?

The only thing Yudhisthira achieved was to reach Indra's Swarga Lok in his body. Please note Indra's Swarga lok is NOT the ultimate moksha. Vaikuntha is.

Further even Arjuna, Nahusha etc people had reached Swarga lok. Even Duryodhana and every warrior who dies on the battlefield is granted swarga lok. 

With regards to Swargarohanika parva - some people say it is a later interpolation and not part of original Mahabharata.

My interpretation of Swargarohanika parva is that the one with least sins got moksha first :)

I think Yudhishthir did make alot of mistakes in his lifetime. He was human, I don't consider him to be perfect. 

But the reason why Yudhishthir and the others achieved moksha first, is because they were much better human beings than the others. Yes, I am not a fan of Yudhishthir but he never had bad intentions in his mind. 

Yes, he did bet all his brothers and his wife. At Dwapar Yug, respecting elders was considered to be of utmost importance. Dhrit wanted the game to happen, hence he did not wish to disobey him. Secondly, yes during Drona he made a mistake but you see as per law of karma- what you do comes back to you. Drona wasn't exactly very righteous. But yes, I still consider it wrong. 

However, Yudhishthir did do more good than bad, and hence he is considered the pillar of righteousness. Also, there are several theories than suggest the Swargyarohan Parva as an interpolation or later addition. However, that's a separate debate. Considering everything as part of the epic, I still believe this to be a story of humans and humanity, and it's upto us to judge who is the good and who evil. 

I can never respect someone like Yudhishthir who for all his talk of righteousness failed his wife and brothers at every step. I can't imagine Draupadi's peril to have to live with someone like him after everything and someone who really has no spine. Atleast she had Bheem who always did everything she wished. It's a tragedy that Yudhishthir got to sit on the throne coz out of the five Pandavs he was the last who deserved it both on merit and in character. 

Edited by Armu4eva - 4 years ago

Righteousness is subjective and I understand they forgave him their blind love for him but how can a man who gambled away his Kingdom, his people, be a good King? 

Posted: 3 years ago

Reasons why Yudhisthira is a wretch:

https://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m02/m02066.htm 

Vaisampayana continued,--"The Suta, hearing these words of Yajnaseni, came back to the assembly and repeated the words of Draupadi. But all sat with faces downwards, uttering not a word, knowing the eagerness and resolution of Dhritarashtra's son.

"Yudhishthira, however, O bull of the Bharata race, hearing of Duryodhana's intentions, sent a trusted messenger unto Draupadi, directing that although she was attired in one piece of cloth with her navel itself exposed, in consequence of her season having come, she should come before her father-in-law weeping bitterly. And that intelligent messenger, O king, having gone to Draupadi's abode with speed, informed her of the intentions of Yudhishthira.

🤢