Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RainyDays thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

As a tribute as well as an entry ice breaker, I would like to share kuch shabd that I have spent countless minutes listening to. It encapsulates so much more but really shows the mirror as to how helpless one really is in the face of love, and while we we are bound by it, it is what makes us truly boundless too. 

kab tak dil kī ḳhair manā.eñ kab tak rah dikhlāoge

kab tak chain kī mohlat doge kab tak yaad na aaoge

Translation as put in Ali Sethi's YT credits - 

How long does my heart get to be still? 

How long do you make me wait?

How long will you keep it tranquil

Before crashing through my mind's floodgates?

Apologies if it has been shared before. :) 

Whats-in-a-name thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: RainyDays

Hello! New Reader Alert! :) 

The epigraph lays such solid framework, its impact is hard to miss and is hard hitting. Heartbreakingly beautiful. 

Truly believe that resolutions made at a defining moment of one's life does stick with you, whether you are six or twenty six. And while your fluent writing makes it simple to imagine what is going through his mind, it is difficult to empathise with the child Arnav who had the misfortune of seeing the two most revered people of his life, so consumed in hate. Extremely saddening. His confusion and entire thought process that led him to decision is natural, and valid as would be to a six year old. 

The parents seem such good people, but sadly their union is the thorn of their life. Their background and history, I'm sure, would be interesting to read,  as well. Tbh, it feels so unfair for the child to have his whole life and mindset alerted for no fault of his, but what to say but it is what is; Its fate/destiny at play here.  😶

I have not read further yet, so my prediction to the present was that those words are spoken by Khushi who has confronted him on the grounds of his firm resolution of commitment and love, deeming the inability to trust as his weakness. 

It's is particularly great that I don't have to wait to judge my own prediction. 😛

A warm welcome to you :) Glad to have you join us here. You've put forth your thoughts on the prologue so beautifully, I couldn't be more grateful. So much love <3

As a tribute as well as an entry ice breaker, I would like to share kuch shabd that I have spent countless minutes listening to. It encapsulates so much more but really shows the mirror as to how helpless one really is in the face of love, and while we we are bound by it, it is what makes us truly boundless too. 

kab tak dil kī ḳhair manā.eñ kab tak rah dikhlāoge

kab tak chain kī mohlat doge kab tak yaad na aaoge

Translation as put in Ali Sethi's YT credits - 

How long does my heart get to be still? 

How long do you make me wait?

How long will you keep it tranquil

Before crashing through my mind's floodgates?

Apologies if it has been shared before. :) 

Beautiful, simply beautiful. How did I possibly miss this? The first thing I did after reading your comment was to check out the YT cover. Ali Sethi has a beautiful voice. I'm a fan of his cover of Ranjish Hi Sahi (no comparisons with Mehdi Hassan, that would be unfair). 

This ghazal in its entirety is poignantly beautiful, no surprises there given that the one in command of the pen is none other than Faiz. Leaving behind the missing lines from the YT version:

'faiz' diloñ ke bhaag meñ hai ghar bharnā bhī luT jaanā bhī

tum is husn ke lutf-o-karam par kitne din itrāoge

Faiz, 'tis the destiny of the heart to have its abode inhabited, then plundered

How long will you revel in the ephemeral munificence of beauty?

(Loose translation by yours faithfully)

Originally posted by: pakpearl

Pls edit the title n put page no of the recent update i.e Ch-3-a

Hi, isn't that how it shows presently? I think you've been viewing on your phone so perhaps the title is only partially visible to you.

And thank you so much for your thoughts on the chapter <3

RainyDays thumbnail

Originally posted by: Whats-in-a-name

Beautiful, simply beautiful. How did I possibly miss this? The first thing I did after reading your comment was to check out the YT cover. Ali Sethi has a beautiful voice. I'm a fan of his cover of Ranjish Hi Sahi (no comparisons with Mehdi Hassan, that would be unfair). 

This ghazal in its entirety is poignantly beautiful, no surprises there given that the one in command of the pen is none other than Faiz. Leaving behind the missing lines from the YT version:

'faiz' diloñ ke bhaag meñ hai ghar bharnā bhī luT jaanā bhī

tum is husn ke lutf-o-karam par kitne din itrāoge

Faiz, 'tis the destiny of the heart to have its abode inhabited, then plundered

How long will you revel in the ephemeral munificence of beauty?

(Loose translation by yours faithfully)

Absolutely, no comparison. To be able to devour the artfulness of those lines in whichever form, is a gift; Comparison, truly, is a thief of joy. 

Words fail to capture the essence of these lines. To be awed and marvelled is the only rational emotion. Your translation is remarkably wonderful! 

pakpearl thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Whats-in-a-name

Hi, isn't that how it shows presently? I think you've been viewing on your phone so perhaps the title is only partially visible to you.

And thank you so much for your thoughts on the chapter <3

I can see it now 😊

Absolutely, no comparison. To be able to devour the artfulness of those lines in whichever form, is a gift; Comparison, truly, is a thief of joy. 

Words fail to capture the essence of these lines. To be awed and marvelled is the only rational emotion. Your translation is remarkably wonderful! 

"Comparison, truly, is a thief of joy"- Well said! 

Thank you so much :) 

RainyDays thumbnail

Chapter 1 -

Reading those lines at the beginning took me straight to YT. :)

Your words paint such a beautiful picture (creating just the right atmosphere! ;) )

The line ‘I have been used to consider poetry as the food of love’ by Jane Austen seems tailor fit for Khushi here! 

Chuckled along the Khushi-La conversation, their characters are so zany! Such friendships are one to aspire for!

As for the teaser and the entire piece - The poetry imbibes such subtle romance. The appreciative and inquisitive theme underlying it is powerful beyond measure. Sigh!

Hearing this would rouse the most blasé person, creating an inclination to meet the one for whom such rumours were spread and such lines spoken; then who are we to resist!

Oh, and these penultimate lines in the poem sounds like the likely intent that would be directed after the meet -

kahāniyāñ hī sahī sab mubālġhe hī sahī 

agar vo ḳhvāb hai tābīr kar ke dekhte haiñ

With the scene set, this definitely makes it exciting for what’s in offing at the Open Mic.

Edited by RainyDays - 3 years ago

Chapter 1 -

Reading those lines at the beginning took me straight to YT. :)

Your words paint such a beautiful picture (creating just the right atmosphere! ;) )

The line ‘I have been used to consider poetry as the food of love’ by Jane Austen seems tailor fit for Khushi here! 

Chuckled along the Khushi-La conversation, their characters are so zany! Such friendships are one to aspire for!

As for the teaser and the entire piece - The poetry imbibes such subtle romance. The appreciative and inquisitive theme underlying it is powerful beyond measure. Sigh!

Hearing this would rouse the most blasé person, creating an inclination to meet the one for whom such rumours were spread and such lines spoken; then who are we to resist!

Oh, and these penultimate lines in the poem sounds like the likely intent that would be directed after the meet -

kahāniyāñ hī sahī sab mubālġhe hī sahī 

agar vo ḳhvāb hai tābīr kar ke dekhte haiñ

With the scene set, this definitely makes it exciting for what’s in offing at the Open Mic.

Austen, poetry, and your beautifully worded thoughts. What more could I ask for?

Thank you for leaving behind the missing lines from the ghazal. This particular piece hits me differently each time I read it :) The wizardry of Faraz! 

Also can I just say how happy I am to have made acquaintance with yet another poetry lover here? A little something to welcome you to this mehfil-

aaj is bazm me.n aa.e ho ba.Dii dhuum ke saath

be-KHudii mahv-e-nazaara hai tumhaarii KHaatir

-Azmi

Gurmeet4Drashti thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Just so you know: 

Kisi sabab se agar bolta nahi hu main,

To yun nahi ki tujhe sochta nahi hu mai...

-Iftikhar Mughal