Chhapaak And Panga - Small Films But Big LOSERS

Maroonporsche thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Thursday 30 January 2020 12.15 IST Box Office India Trade Network

Google+ Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Twitter logo link

Chhapaak and Panga which were released over the last few weeks have turned out big losers. It is said that its difficult to lose in small films in the business nowadays as there are digital rights as well as satellite and music which can form most of the recovery but slowly more and more films are becoming losers.

The reason for the big losses of these two films is that they looked small but the costs are not exactly small in the context of what the films look for the audience. Both films have cost around the 50 crore mark to produce and release. Normally these films would not go past 35 crore but those films have leading ladies who are probably lower down in the pecking order. 

Both films looked bad from the trailers and met with a poor fate but still the expectations would be to get to 45-50 crore nett and be safe. Coincidentaly both the films were produced by the same studio which did very well last year with films like Total Dhamaal, Chhichhore and Housefull 4 but these were acquisitions.

Chhaapak had a production budget of 38 crore and 12 crore P&A and had a recovery of 26 crore from satellite, digital and music so needed another 24 crore but will do just 19 crore. This is a 5 crore loss but due to the total rejection of the film the revenue for satellite and digital is sure not to come in as its been put on the books. so the loss is pretty sure to be much more.

Panga was made at a cost of 39 crore and 10 crore P&A and had a 25 crore recovery from satellite, digital and music and also needed 24 crore to cover but will hardly do 14 crore from theaters giving it a lost of 10 crore. Again that does not take into account the losses that will have to be suffered on the account of non theatrical revenues as rejected by the public.

These type films only have a theatrical audience at multiplexes and even the ones that do well at these multiplexes suffer post release and are unable to find an audience and Chhapaak and Panga will have no audience in any format as they missed the boat in the theatres.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Illyrion thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

I don’t have a lot of faith in BOI and their supposed “Gold Standard” collection numbers so I’m not sure producers have inflated collections as much as BOI claims. However, I do believe them on the budget. I remember the budget being reported at 40 Cr when the movie was announced. How often do films come in 15 Cr UNDER budget as Panga team is now claiming? Bottom line, I don’t know whether Kangana inflates box office but she definitely has a lengthy history of deflating budgets when the films tank. What am I saying? It is lying liar Kangana.  When she’s definitely lying on the front end she’s probably lying on the backend too 😆. 

.Lonewalker. thumbnail

Originally posted by: Maroonporsche

Thursday 30 January 2020 12.15 IST Box Office India Trade Network

Google+ Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Addthis

Twitter logo link

Chhapaak and Panga which were released over the last few weeks have turned out big losers. It is said that its difficult to lose in small films in the business nowadays as there are digital rights as well as satellite and music which can form most of the recovery but slowly more and more films are becoming losers.

The reason for the big losses of these two films is that they looked small but the costs are not exactly small in the context of what the films look for the audience. Both films have cost around the 50 crore mark to produce and release. Normally these films would not go past 35 crore but those films have leading ladies who are probably lower down in the pecking order. 

Both films looked bad from the trailers and met with a poor fate but still the expectations would be to get to 45-50 crore nett and be safe. Coincidentaly both the films were produced by the same studio which did very well last year with films like Total Dhamaal, Chhichhore and Housefull 4 but these were acquisitions.

Chhaapak had a production budget of 38 crore and 12 crore P&A and had a recovery of 26 crore from satellite, digital and music so needed another 24 crore but will do just 19 crore. This is a 5 crore loss but due to the total rejection of the film the revenue for satellite and digital is sure not to come in as its been put on the books. so the loss is pretty sure to be much more.

Panga was made at a cost of 39 crore and 10 crore P&A and had a 25 crore recovery from satellite, digital and music and also needed 24 crore to cover but will hardly do 14 crore from theaters giving it a lost of 10 crore. Again that does not take into account the losses that will have to be suffered on the account of non theatrical revenues as rejected by the public.

These type films only have a theatrical audience at multiplexes and even the ones that do well at these multiplexes suffer post release and are unable to find an audience and Chhapaak and Panga will have no audience in any format as they missed the boat in the theatres.

Really? I have no idea about Panga, but for Chhapaak, I am hearing this for the first time. The budget was reported to be around 35 crores, not 50 crores as far as I know.

And it did just 19 crores at the box office? 😲 I remember reading various articles saying it did a little over 30 crores in domestic box office & over 57 crores worldwide. 

From where are these new figures coming? The movie is a flop, ok. But this article is reducing its collection to less than half. Is it some new calculation that I am failing to understand? 🤔

YoursTrulyOne thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: .Lonewalker.

Really? I have no idea about Panga, but for Chhapaak, I am hearing this for the first time. The budget was reported to be around 35 crores, not 50 crores as far as I know.

And it did just 19 crores at the box office? 😲 I remember reading various articles saying it did a little over 30 crores in domestic box office & over 57 crores worldwide. 

From where are these new figures coming? The movie is a flop, ok. But this article is reducing its collection to less than half. Is it some new calculation that I am failing to understand? 🤔

that 19 crs is distributor share not net collection. Recovery depends on distributor share which is assumed to be half of total net collection

.Lonewalker. thumbnail

Originally posted by: YoursTrulyOne

that 19 crs is distributor share not net collection. Recovery depends on distributor share which is assumed to be half of total net collection

Okay. I don't understand this distributor share thing. How is this calculated? 

YoursTrulyOne thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: .Lonewalker.

Okay. I don't understand this distributor share thing. How is this calculated? 

a part of total net collection ( after deducting entertainment tax ) is paid back to the distributor by the theater owners , that is distributor share .   explained in detail here 

https://www.indicine.com/movies/bollywood/indian-box-office-model-explained-in-detail/

josh135 thumbnail

I watched Panga and it was wonderful and very motivating. So full of positivity. Both men and women should watch it. Lovely messages. Thats how a husband and wife should be. Such a lovely movie.

.Lonewalker. thumbnail

Originally posted by: YoursTrulyOne

a part of total net collection ( after deducting entertainment tax ) is paid back to the distributor by the theater owners , that is distributor share .   explained in detail here 

https://www.indicine.com/movies/bollywood/indian-box-office-model-explained-in-detail/

Thank you😊

luv_serials thumbnail

they may have not done great financially but generated well in terms of critical response no?