Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TrustYourSelf thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 17 years ago

KBC participants seek business advice from King Khan

Bollywood actor Shahrukh Khan, host of a top-rated Indian TV game show, says several participants have sought advice from him about getting into the film industry.

"I believe quite a few want to run their business plans by me,'' the daily Mumbai Mirror quoted Khan as saying in an interview published on Monday.

"A few of the participants are in touch with my secretary. They have been sending e-mails to my office as well,'' Khan said.

One of them even wants to direct a film, he said.

Khan, 41, replaced the venerated Amitabh Bachchan as host of "Kaun Banega Crorepati'' - based on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire'' - in January after the latter fell sick and opted out of the program.

The TV program offers a cash reward of Rs. 2 crores, for correctly answering 15 general-knowledge questions.

Khan said he didn't mind people helping out, but that "as for proposals for working together, I don't know what the future holds for me.''

His game show is scheduled to go off the air this week and likely to resume broadcast later this year.

http://www.santabanta.com/cinema.asp?pid=14085

Fashion_2005 thumbnail
SRK's plans to revive game show

With rumours of a constant fall in TRP ratings of his game show, we've heard that the King Khan has decided to take things in his own hands.

Apparently, he has decided to forego the scripted lines and replace them with spontaneity and humour.

That may just do the trick. After all, the audiences love 'originals' and SRK, too!

http://movies.indiatimes.com/quickies/1846839.cms
shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
'KBC' to shell out 'dough' for 2 weeks to drive eyeballs

By RENELLE SNELLEKSZ
Indiantelevision.com Team

(2 April 2007 5:00 pm)

MUMBAI: Desperate times call for desperate measures! An analysis of the duration of Star's big ticket show Kaun Banega Crorepati as it draws to a close in its third season, finds the network countering a dipping ratings scenario with special episodes galore. And voila, here's another - In its culminating two weeks KBC is willing to dish out Rs 1,00,000 to viewers that correctly answers the questions asked to the hot seat contestant with the 'Khelo India Saath Saath' special episodes to kick off on 9 April.

With the show currently in its final hours, this activity is not only looking to drive viewership, but also as shell out cash to more aggressively rake in 'moolah,' which from the looks of it, has fallen short of expectations. On an average 15 questions will be asked per episode at the rate of Rs 2.40 per SMS, for eight consecutive episodes.

Additionally, the show has consistently been distributing freebies in all shapes and sizes from the product portfolio of sponsors endorsed by host SRK. Infact, only last week, the channel ran a special episode giving away nine Santro cars to the 'Fastest Finger First' participants.

Coincidently, Sony's Virrudh was launched on the same day (26 March) at 9.30 pm. Subsequently, Zee TV also launched a 10.30 pm soap Teen Bahuraniyan which was strategically tackled by Star with a counter programming initiative by combining its top 'saas bahu sagas' Kahaani…, Kyunki…. and Kayamath into a one and half hour marathon episode.

Also amidst all the star studded appearances on KBC, with the likes of SRK's Bollywood comrades Preity, Rani, Boman Irani, Sanjay Dutt and others, he has also given away watches to participants from Tag Heuer which he also endorses . Interestingly, the 'Bollywood Badshah' is also set to give away Mushtaq Shiekh's coffee-table edition titled 'Still Reading Khan' on the episode to be telecast on 3 April.

Speaking to Indiantelevision.com Star India general manager - content and marketing Harsh Rohatgi asserted that the activity had been planned in advance and clearly pointed out, "This is not a money licking activity, but rather to take interactivity of the show to another level."

Now with cricket out of the way and as expected there will be viewers flocking back to GEC. Rohatgi expects that this activity alone will see a spurt of 15 - 20 per cent.

Spanning across two weeks from 9 to 19 April, the 'Khelo India Saath Saath' KBC special will allow viewers at home to play every question along with the hot seat contestant, to win Rs 1, 00,000 for each right answer, during the telecast of the show. Moreover, viewers can play for all questions asked during the episode and even if they get one wrong answer they will still be allowed to play for the next question with no limit on the number of entries sent by an individual per question.

The time frame to send the answers will start from the moment the question is asked on the show till the right answer is revealed (or the right answer turns green on the TV screen) on the screen.

The entry mechanism for all the questions will remain the same as 'Har Seat Hot Seat' so that BSNL / MTNL users can dial 1904-424-44240 followed by the correct option 1, 2, 3 or 4. Viewers can also participate through Airtel mobile and fixed line by dialing 5646 followed by the correct option 1, 2, 3 or 4. Or Airtel mobile users can also SMS or type 'KBC' and send it to 5646 with the correct option 1, 2, 3 or 4.

The only difference is that the options for the home viewers will change from A, B, C, and D to 1, 2, 3 or 4 in naming the answers. The name of the winner will be announced every alternate day from the day of telecast of the said episode.

http://www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/y2k7/apr/apr21.php

monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
First Look: Shah Rukh Khan gets waxed

Now London has its very own Shah Rukh Khan.

After much hype, Bollywood megastar Khan finally unveiled his waxwork at Madame Tussauds on Tuesday, April 3.

Only the third Indian to make it into the famed museum of celebrity sculptures, Khan follows Amitabh Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai in being honoured thus.

King Khan is one out of 15 figures the museum plans to unveil this year.

More Madame Tussauds fun: Spider-Man | Angelina-Brad's baby girl | Holy David Beckham

Photograph: Gareth Cattermole, Getty Images

Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago
monika.goel thumbnail

SRK's biggest fan? His saasu ma!
   By: A hitList Correspondent
   April 7, 2007
Thank you, mother-in-law: Shah Rukh and Gauri Khan

When the camera-shy Savita Chhiba dropped in to watch her son-in-law in action, everyone on the sets of Kaun Banega Crorepati 3 was surprised.

After all, it's not everyday that Shah Rukh Khan's mother-in-law drops in on him at work.

Gauri Khan's mother, who appeared on KBC3 a week before Women's Day (March 8), says, "It was the first time in my life that I faced the camera that day and I felt extremely shy."

Camera shy

Talking about her experience, Savita says she asked Shah Rukh for permission before she dropped by the set. "My sister, Sharda Gupta, was in town along with her husband.

Both are doctors and love watching Shah Rukh on KBC. I told Shah Rukh that we wanted to come by but I requested him to not ask me any questions as I am very camera shy. It's really difficult for an ordinary person to be unfazed by the spotlight," she admits.

How did she find the show in real life? "I loved it! Sharda loved it too. She was asked to come on the hot seat but declined as we are not used to facing the camera. Even my daughter Gauri doesn't like facing the camera or doing interviews," says Savita.

An avid KBC watcher and SRK fan, Savita says that she hasn't missed a single show ever since Shah Rukh took over as anchor.

"I have watched KBC right from the beginning. Besides, how can I miss any of Shah Rukh's programmes?

I was watching his appearance at Madame Tussaud's wax museum all day on the news on Wednesday. He is on top of the world," she says.

Captive audience

Savita adds that she likes watching KBC3 because of the sheer energy and fun that SRK brings to the show. "All my friends and the people in Delhi are going gaga about Shah Rukh.

He mesmerises people. I
guess one of the reasons people love him so much is because he is a very
good human being. People from all walks of society love him. My maids and drivers say they don't understand the questions but watch the show because Shah Rukh makes people laugh. They feel he's playing a funny game with the contestants and they laugh along with him."

No competition

As for those comparisons with Amitabh Bachchan, Savita feels it's unfair to compare the veteran actor with her son-in-law. "Shah Rukh has made it so different.

There was never any comparison to start with as both are very good. Mr Bachchan was effective in his own way and people now like the casual feel that Shah Rukh brings to the show.

Now that KBC is coming to an end, my friends keep telling me, 'What will we do now between 9-10 pm?'" Savita laughs.

Apart from the show, the doting mother and her husband Ramesh Chibba are avid watchers of SRK's films. "I have watched all his films and I love them.

Earlier, my husband wouldn't watch Hindi films but ever since Gauri married Shah Rukh, he only goes to the theatre to watch Shah Rukh's films.

In fact, we make it a point to watch his films first day first show.

Sometimes, we even book the entire hall and call our friends and relatives to watch the film."

monika.goel thumbnail

SRK waxed twice

From London to Kanyakumari: SRK's waxen body double shows up in Indian theme park

Back to Section Stories Posted On Saturday, April 07, 2007
Mail this Article Print this Article Search
View Comments Rate this Article Comments

Sandipan Dalal

Shah Rukh Khan has reason to rejoice. After he unveiled his wax figure at Madame Tussauds recently, here comes the news that a desi version of a waxen SRK is housed at a theme park called Baywatch in Kanyakumari. Artist Sunil Kandaloor, who has been making wax figures over the years, managed to create Shah Rukh in wax within a month and a half. Strangely, Kandaloor has never met the actor and the measurements were taken depending entirely on a life size poster of the actor that the artist had acquired. Says Kandaloor, who functions out of his residence in the Alleppey district of Kerala, "I wasn't fortunate enough to meet Shah Rukh and take his measurements as professional from Madame Tussauds did. I believe Bollywood actors are not easily accessible. I finished the figure with the help of only one helper."

Shah Rukh's wax figure was unveiled yesterday at the theme park, which boasts to have about 20 wax figure of public figures including PM Manmohan Singh and South superstar Rajnikant.

When we informed the actor about his desi wax figure sporting denims, white tee and denims, Shah Rukh says, "I didn't know about this wax figure being unveiled at Kanyakumari. Maybe I'm doing something right. Maybe people prefer my statue over me. Either way, I'm thrilled by this importance given to me and humbled at the same time."

SRK and Saddam's wax figures at Kanyakumari
Wax professional Kandaloor who is presently working on figures of Indira Gandhi, Mother Teresa and Amitabh Bachchan says he specifically enjoyed working on Khan's dimples. "He's a superstar with a perfect smile. I maybe be living in the Southern tip of India but I'm aware of Shah Rukh's celebrated films. Unlike Madame Tussauds' figure, my creation has a more casual look. However, I'm yet to decide which is a better work of art." Kandaloor is set to visit the Madam Tussauds museum at Baker Square, London next month. Well, you'll know the truth at the House of Wax.

Fashion_2005 thumbnail
MISTER GUESS AGAIN

As Kaun Banega Crorepati winds down for the season, Mintty Tejpal looks at what Shah Rukh Khan has done for the show

Question : What kind of TV show is Kaun Banega Crorepati?

Answer: A. Soap opera; B. Reality show; C. Quiz show; D. All of the above

So what's the correct answer then? Under the Big B's tutelage, one could safely lock 'quiz show', but ever since Shah Rukh Khan began playing host, option D seems the correct choice. Breaking through the reserve and distance with which the Big B used to host the series, Khan has brought in oodles of fun and laughter. He's dancing with celebrity contestants, hugging ordinary folks ad nauseum, cracking jokes with the audience, even joining them in song. Whew.

So I go to the kbc sets to find out how the magic works. It begins with the food. I walk into Set No. 7, Film City, Mumbai, the cordoned-off kbc compound; hordes of people are seated outside in the muggy heat, eating. It's the audience, carted in for the shoot. Elsewhere the contestants and their companions are being fed separately. You want to keep a group of noisy Indians under control, feed them extra oily food, specially designed to lull them into torpor. At one side, people are lined up in a ragged row, waiting to get their passes checked — they seem a bit pissed off. I wonder why. "Because Shah Rukh decided to have a press conference", a Star TV fellow tells me. Whaaat, where, I splutter.

I scurry inside the large airconditioned hall to find an army of over a 100 people crowded into the centre. They look like journalists, for they are armed with news cameras, popping flash bulbs and some very stupid questions. A TV reporter wants to know if SRK ever dreams of sitting in the hot seat and winning Rs 1 crore. Yup, right. Even SRK took time to understand that one, getting the reporter to repeat the question again. I mean the guy is earning that kind of money hosting a single show, so what kind of a question is that, hunh? But only I seem to be getting ruffled. The man of the moment sits in the middle, fending off ridiculous questions with a laugh.

SRK is wearing a cool T-shirt and jeans, his hair is slicked into place and nary a frown creases his fair forehead. Before him is not a pack of ferocious newshounds, but a bunch of lapping puppies, yipping gleefully at their master's voice. Khan artfully obliges, telling them what he wants them to know — "I am closest to being myself on kbc. But of course there is an individual style to what I've done — for better or worse. Like kachcha kachcha pakka pakka." Then, over the next half hour, SRK demonstrates his sense of humour and his talent for putting people at ease before leaving for his make-up rooms.

In a show where the audience is a prime component, getting them into the correct groove is critical. The Synergy Adlabs team has it down pat. The 200-plus audience is herded into the 130x95-foot studio floor, and seated on the smart, cozy set. Two floor managers take them through the drill — no prompting, clap loudly, keep smiling. Then the Fastest Finger First contestants are brought in, and the computer systems explained. An assistant reads them a set of dummy questions which they practice answering. Again and again and again. Importantly, they are shown which camera to look toward during introductions. The problem is that the camera is diagonally opposite the large off-set video screen in which they can see themselves waving. So that distorted perspective makes them wave their arms in that peculiar puppet-like fashion.

I have a specific question for Siddhartha Basu, the series' director-producer since its inception. Does the host know the correct answer when asking the question? No, says Basu, not till it's frozen. Then he takes me over to the host's computer and explains. As host, SRK has a number of clearly designed parameters on his screen — question, answer, options, prize money etc. Most importantly he has an empty space where Basu can prompt him from the control room. So there is an element of direction even after the host has asked the question.

Then suddenly SRK walks in, now looking dapper in a comfy suit and tie, and the audience breaks into squeals and cheers. I hear girls cheer: "Shah Rukh, you make us crazy" and "We love you Shah Rukh." SRK responds with an expansive air kiss and a wave, as he individually greets all the Fastest Finger First contestants. Then he takes his spot and the show kicks off. He is amazing to watch. In the three episodes I observed, he never made a single error, shooting as close to real time as possible. In between breaks, he continues to chat with the hot seat contestant, relaxing him or her. Pradeep Rana, a participant from Hisar in Haryana, is feeling awkward, so SRK eases him in by discussing wrestling in a Haryanvi twang. Another contestant is a closet poet and wants to recite a sher — SRK listens, claps, then admits he didn't understand a word. The audience loves SRK — he knows when to joke, when to plead, when to plug a sponsor. Plus his Hindi is flawless.

The other amazing thing about SRK is that he never sits still. Never ever. He is constantly twitching his fingers, licking his lips, scratching his nose, folding his tie, shaking his feet and swivelling his chair. That nervous energy one had heard about — well, it's for real. Post show, he has an equally gruelling routine. After each show, he shakes hands with all 10 contestants, then shakes hands with screaming members of the audience. A middle-aged lady wants to read him a poem — SRK obliges, even calling her down. Then he poses for photos with all the contestants with their companions. Then photos with persistent audience members, then more visitors. And he does all of this with a smile and a laugh. Wow.

I spend two days hanging around the set, observing the last two days of the shoot. Basu, bang in the middle of a tight schedule, graciously offers me five minutes with SRK. I regretfully decline. Five minutes is pointless. I am content to simply observe. The most startling thing I notice is that SRK has cheated us all along. In his films, he always plays a single character on screen — the goofy, stuttering lover boy — whereas in reality he is just the opposite. Sharp, intelligent and highly focused. That's ingenious. To ride a two-dimensional goofball image into superstar status, while actually being a super-smart genius.

Ajay Vidyasagar, Executive Vice President, Star TV, confirms that kbc is a hit. It opened with trps of 12, and then settled down between 7 and 10 trp points every week, ever since. It has been among the top three shows in India, with 40 percent more smss received than the last season. In all, over 150 million calls from landlines and mobiles have been booked in the last five months, making kbc the hottest telephony property in India. Though everyone is at pains to attribute it to team work, the crucial difference clearly is Shah Rukh Khan. He brings in a freshness and energy unlike anything Celador, the original format creators, could have ever imagined. As Siddhartha Basu, himself an iconic quizmaster, sums up: " Mr Bachchan wasdiligent and reserved, while Shah Rukh is playful and romantic, more of an entertainer. A bit like Bhishma vs Krishna." Quite.

Apr 14 , 2006

http://www.tehelka.com/story_main28.asp?filename=hub140407Mi ster_guess.asp
Fashion_2005 thumbnail
KBC participants seek business advice from King Khan

Bollywood actor Shahrukh Khan, host of a top-rated Indian TV game show, says several participants have sought advice from him about getting into the film industry.

"I believe quite a few want to run their business plans by me,'' the daily Mumbai Mirror quoted Khan as saying in an interview published on Monday.

"A few of the participants are in touch with my secretary. They have been sending e-mails to my office as well,'' Khan said.

One of them even wants to direct a film, he said.

Khan, 41, replaced the venerated Amitabh Bachchan as host of "Kaun Banega Crorepati'' - based on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire'' - in January after the latter fell sick and opted out of the program.

The TV program offers a cash reward of Rs. 2 crores, for correctly answering 15 general-knowledge questions.

Khan said he didn't mind people helping out, but that "as for proposals for working together, I don't know what the future holds for me.''

His game show is scheduled to go off the air this week and likely to resume broadcast later this year.

http://www.santabanta.com/cinema.asp?pid=14085
TrustYourSelf thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

SRK… anything for a Friend

By Subhash K Jha

Shah Rukh's generosity of spirit doesn't only stretch to giving away watches on KBC. He knows how to repay old debts. And producer Viveik Vaswani found that out recently when he approached the Khan to make a guest appearance in his new production Dulha Mil Gaya.

Not only did SRK readily agree to make an appearance in the comedy he has also agreed to let his role be extended to more than double what it was meant to be originally.

This isn't the first cameo appearance SRK has done for a friend. Recently he made fleeting appearances in Silsilay, Kuch Meetha Ho Jaye and I See You.

"These were for friends. And although I don't like making cameo appearances I can't say no to a friend if he asks me to be in his film. Viveik is someone I've known from the time I came to Mumbai. And yes, he requires more of my dates for his film. So why not?" reasons SRK.

http://www.santabanta.com/cinema.asp?pid=14199
Fashion_2005 thumbnail
KBC News - The week that was...

Round up of all the action from last week.

KBC this week began with a patiently waiting Manish Singh. Manish had just made it to the Hot Seat the week before last when the hooter went off and the following day was the Holi Special so the railway engineer from Ghaziabad had to wait to the start of last week to resume his chance at 2 crores. However Manish couldn't get very far in the game as he steadily used all his life lines in the early part of the game. He exited after winning 1,60,000 rupees.

Next on the Hot Seat on Monday night was Yousuf Qaseem from New Delhi. Shah Rukh seemed to enjoy himself as he reminisced about his days in Delhi with Yousuf. Yousuf was accompanied by his wife who is expecting their first baby. By the end of the day's play he had won 80,000 rupees but had no lifelines left.

Tuesday night witnessed Yousuf resuming play. However, he couldn't get any further in the game and quit at the very first question of the evening. Yousuf's exit bought Nagendra Biyani from Hyderabad on the Hot Seat. Nagendra didn't get ahead in the game and exited pretty soon when his friend gave him the wrong answer. Rohit Tripathi from Navi Mumbai replaced Nagendra and became the third Hot Seat contestant of the evening.

Rohit resumed his game on Wednesday night and steadily reached the 12,50,000 rupees question. Unsure of the answer he risked and it payed off. He finally quit after winning Rs. 25 lakh. Dr. Jeenu Priya from Meerut replaced Rohit that night. A fan of Shah Rukh's she definitely seemed to be enjoying her time with him. Although she won only 1,60,000 rupees she said the time she spent with SRK was priceless for her.

But the highlight of the week came on Thursday. Ajith Tharakan from Kerala joined SRK on the Hot Seat. Slowly but steadily he answered all the questions correctly to become the highest winning contestant till date on this season of KBC when he reached 50 lakh rupees.

This week has definitely seen it all – the highs and the lows – and as KBC reaches the half way mark all we at KBClive can say is that things are definitely heating up!

Stay tuned…

Monday, March 12, 2007

http://kbclive.indya.com/news/news_wtw.html