Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Fashion_2005 thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Associated Press

India Revives 'Millionaire' Takeoff

Associated Press 11.26.06, 2:57 PM ET

Star Entertainment India television channel is reviving the most popular show in Indian history with top Bollywood actor Shahrukh Khan as its new host, a news report said Sunday.

"Kaun Banega Crorepati" - based on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" - was scrapped in January following its famous host Amitabh Bachchan's illness. The program drew millions of viewers.

The channel will start shooting the program next month and expects it to go on air by the end of January, the Press Trust of India news agency quoted Samir Nair, chief executive officer of Star Entertainment India, as saying.

Khan is one of the biggest Bollywood heartthrobs of the past decade and one of the highest paid actors in the Indian movie industry. Khan said he was pleasantly surprised when the STAR network offered him the show.

"It is a huge act to follow, that of Bachchan ... But it also excites me that I am getting an opportunity to reach out (and) talk and interact with my audience through a medium where I began my career as an actor years ago," he said in a statement.

Bachchan had spent nearly three weeks in a hospital in Mumbai, India's financial and entertainment capital, in December after having surgery for an intestinal ailment. He resumed work in Bollywood movies but didn't resume the television program.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

http://www.forbes.com/business/manuf...ap3203837.html
Meet the little Shah Rukh Khan!
By IndiaFM News Bureau, December 29, 2006 - 13:10 IST

Kuch Sawaal Zindagi Badal Saktey Hain- This is not only Shahrukh's avowal but also the punch line for Kaun Banega Crorepati 3's latest campaign.

KBC Dwitiya, hosted by Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan, campaigned itself with the tagline Ummeed Sey Dugna. But the advent of KBC 3 has brought in a whole new promotional strategy. After a teaser campaign asserting how some questions can change a person's life, Star TV is launching the very first television commercial today which will be flashed on all the channels of Star Network. The 130-second long clip shows a highly inquisitive kid based in Delhi, played by four-year old Shrey Bawa.

The kid cannot stop himself from asking questions. For instance, one part of the advertisement shows the child asking for permission to do the deed. Similarly, the child continues to ask questions in every given scenario and annoys everyone around him. The kid leaves the capital in search of answers to his questions and reaches Mumbai! Finally his dreams start turning into reality. Finally he will ask, and people will answer. The ad then shows the boy grown up to be Shah Rukh Khan- the perfect host for KBC 3. This commercial has a tinge of humour and fun unlike the Ummeed Sey Dugna campaign, and therefore carters to a wider audience. The campaign is estimated to be a huge success not only because of Shah Rukh but also due to the mischievous looking Shrey. His lopsided grin, ruffled hair and sheer innocence are sure to win over hearts.

KBC 3 will commence from the 22nd of January next year on Star Plus.
Fashion_2005 thumbnail
Shahrukh to replace Big B as KBC host

Kshama Rao

Mumbai, November 26, 2006

Those who claim Shah Rukh Khan is a worthy successor to Amitabh Bachchan will be able to say it a little louder now. From January, Khan will play the quizmaster on Kaun Banega Crorepati (KBC). The deal was closed on Saturday.

"Sameer Nair ( CEO, Star Entertainment, India) had been discussing the idea with Khan for quite some time," says Shailja Kejriwal, senior creative director, Star India Pvt Ltd. "Khan has been signed on for two seasons of 52 episodes each."

Khan thinks the show will give him an opportunity to be in direct touch with his audience. "It is a show that is both popular and intelligent," he says. "I have always watched it, and it is a happy coincidence that Siddhartha Basu and Star feel I should now be the quizmaster."

Basu, creative director for KBC, says: "Even six years ago we were toying with the idea of whom to get on the show if not Bachchan. And Khan was one of the few names that kept popping up. His wit, charm, youthfulness, personality and charismatic will, to my mind, rejuvenate the show."

KBC Dwitiya was abruptly shelved in January this year when Bachchan had intestinal complications which required prompt surgery. He could not complete the shooting for about 20 more rounds which he had signed on for. He has since said talks were on with the channel to finish the remaining. But Nair says: "Bachchan expressed his inability to shoot with us any further, and we respected that."

Khan is certain to cost Star big bucks. Sources, on condition of anonymity, say while Bachchan was paid Rs 50 lakh per episode for KBC, Khan is expected to take home around Rs 75 lakh. Nair, who has referred to Khan as a 'diamond' in the past, refuses to give details. But he does say something else: "Nothing in life comes cheap."

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1853094,0011.htm
Fashion_2005 thumbnail
ShahRukh Khan takes Big B's place in KBC 2

Usha Thomas
DNA-Mumbai
Sunday, November 26, 2006 15:13 IST

MUMBAI: In a move that surprised the entertainment industry, ShahRukh Khan was signed late on Saturday night to host the second edition of Kaun Banega Crorepati in place of Amitabh Bachchan. Khan sealed his return to television, the medium he began his career in, with the deal that will see him host two seasons of KBC of 52 episodes each.

Making the announcement, Sameer Nair, CEO of STAR Entertainment India, said, "We are extremely delighted to announce the Next Gen avatar of KBC and are even more pleased to present ShahRukh Khan as its host."

KBC Dwitiya was pulled off the air last December when Bachchan was admitted to hospital and advised bed rest for a few months. Bachchan had 28 episodes to complete in that season, but once he was back on his feet, his film assignments kept him busy.

Despite attempts by Nair to persuade Bachchan to complete the pending episodes, it is believed that the Big B politely declined, saying he had had his run. Nair said, "Bachchan gave no reason; he just asked to be excused from continuing to be host. I can't ask for more, as I am more than indebted to him for doing more than 350 episodes."

But as they say, the show had to go on. "And who better than SRK to take it forward?" said STAR senior creative director Shailja Kejriwal. "It was a unanimous decision to try to convince SRK. It did take some time but finally things fell into place."

She refused to put a figure on the amount STAR has paid, saying, "SRK is priceless.

In a media statement, Khan said, "I was pleasantly surprised when STAR offered me the show. I was a participant in season one of KBC... and little did I know one day I would be hosting it. It is a huge act to follow, that of Mr Bachchan... but it also excites me that I am getting an opportunity to reach out... talk and interact with my audience through a medium where I began my career as an actor years ago. So here's looking forward to coming round a full circle... guess, unlock kiya jaaye."

The new edition of KBC will, once again, be produced by Siddhartha Basu's Synergy Communications. Basu said, "Despite being associated with KBC since it began, this is literally a new beginning for me. SRK's wit, energy, excitement and enthusiasm will rub off on all of us. Together, we hope to create some magical moments. It is a challenge."
Fashion_2005 thumbnail
Big B's out, KBC gets Shah Rukh lifeline

TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ MONDAY, NOVEMBER 27, 2006 01:46:27 AM>

MUMBAI: The most talked about show in Indian television, Kaun Banega Crorepati is all set to be back in January, only this time not with the Big B, but with Shah Rukh Khan. Slated to be back in the coming new year, the third season of KBC 3 will be back on weekdays from 9pm to 10pm, encompassing the peak of prime time from Mondays to Thursdays.

Clearly, a weekday strategy, the leading general entertainment channel, Star Plus, is looking to spike audience levels as well as broad base its core target group from its tradition middle-aged women skewed audience to the 35 years and below population.

Star Entertainment India CEO Sameer Nair pointed out: "Kaun Banega Crorepati has redefined television viewing in India. KBC is very close to our hearts as it laid the foundation for Star Plus' unprecedented domination over the past six years. We are extremely delighted to announce the next generation avatar of KBC and are even more pleased to present Shah Rukh Khan, as its host."

He further added that since Amitabh Bachchan was not keen to continue with the third season, and considering Star India has signed a five-year contract with Celador, who are the format owners of KBC, originally called, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, it made sense to rope in Shah Rukh Khan. The deal incorporates both the format and programme licence, and is the longest continuing licence that has ever been granted for the globally successful show.

Star India has signed on SRK for the next two seasons, which can be extended for the third season as well. KBC made a comeback in August '05, as a weekend property, to give a face-lift to Star Plus' weekend programming so as to build up the momentum for the weekend franchise.

KBC 2, as it was called was racy and hip and the Indian version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, for starters, was a total change with AB wearing the rapper's hat and his attire transforming from his first time in '01.

The doubled-prize money, which came in KBC 2, will be as it is for KBC 3 at Rs 2 crore. This time round, KBC, which is back as the prime-time weekday property is being attempted to ensure that competitors, such as Zee and Sony are kept at bay.

However, with the growing number of big formats across general entertainment channels, such as Sony's Big Brother called Big Boss and Zee's Cine Star Ki Khoj, the fight for eyeballs, is going to be a lot more challenging.

But then again, as industry experts state, that KBC with SRK will arouse a lot of curiosity, and though Star India at this point in time has not disclosed the change, clearly the plan seems to be only bigger, grander and with an edge.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...how/589243.cms
Fashion_2005 thumbnail
Amitabh se DOUBLE...Confident?

By: Upala KBR
November 27, 2006

Actor Shah Rukh Khan, who has signed a two-year contract with Star TV, will apparently be paid Rs 280 crore for Kaun Banega Crorepati's next two seasons to be aired on Star Plus, according to sources.

Amitabh Bachchan, the previous host, reportedly received Rs 140-160 crore for 390 episodes.

Shah Rukh will host about 102-120 episodes as per the show's new format, which gives him Rs 2.5 to Rs 2.75 crore per episode. The actor gets Rs 5-7 crore per film, according to industry insiders.

Siddharth Basu's Synergy Communications produces KBC, while Star has the copyright of the show.

But Sameer Nair, chief operating officer, Star India Network, refused to disclose figures.

"I cannot comment on the amount offered to Shah Rukh. It is not five but a two-year deal with an option to extend to three years," said Nair.

"I cannot comment on that (Khan will get more than Bachchan) but suffice to say the amount is more than adequate," said Nair laughing.

Zee was also in the running for a show with Shah Rukh but apparently lost out because Star outbid them.

Said Nair, "Zee was in talks with Shah Rukh for a show last year but nothing had been lined up for this year. Star was the only one in talks
with Shah Rukh this year. We had a specific job — someone to host KBC — and we have found him in Shah Rukh."

People feel that the SRK-KBC deal went through in a hurry. "It appears that way but we have been aware of it since July. Bachchan had expressed his disinterest in doing the show in July. I understand his feelings. We are indebted to him. We wanted to convince him to continue, but in October he finally told us he would not be able to do. That is when we approached Shah Rukh."

"We were talking with Celador of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire (the format is owned and licenced by the British production company), for the licence of KBC for the third trimester. This time it will be for five seasons with only 52-60 episodes per year, whereas last time we had a blanket run of 390 episodes."

Why did Star pick Shah Rukh after Bachchan? "Who better than Shah Rukh to pick up from where Amitji left? Shah Rukh brings with him enthusiasm, intelligence, wit and energy. He is very kicked about doing the show," added Nair.

280cr
Amount Shah Rukh Khan would get for KBC over two years

140cr
Amount Amitabh Bachchan got from KBC for 390 episodes

11cr
Amount Shah Rukh Khan gets per film

2.5cr
Amount Bachchan gets for a film

Note: All figures in rupees. Shah Rukh Khan's remuneration per film is based on his last release Don, for which he also held distribution rights. Otherwise, his asking rate is Rs 5-7 crore per film

www.mid-day.com
Fashion_2005 thumbnail
Shahrukh Khan to replace Amitabh yet again

By IndiaFM News Bureau, November 27, 2006 - 05:31 IST

First Don, and now it is Kaun Banega Crorepati. King Khan seems to love wearing the shoes in which Amitabh has already set foot in. Shahrukh Khan will now be the new host of the ever popular television serial Kaun Banega Crorepati. Shahrukh has been signed for two seasons of the show and he has the option to continue for another season if he chooses to renew his contract.

The show is expected to go on air in January 2007. Earlier Amitabh Bachchan was offered to continue with his stint but he was not very keen on continuing. Shahrukh however loved the idea of hosting the show of which he was once the contestant of. The fee Shahrukh is taking is unaware of, but if rumors are to be believed, it is double of what Amitabh's fees were. Let us hope Shahrukh lives up to the expectations and standards which Amitabh Bachchan has set.

http://indiafm.com/news/2006/11/27/8289/index.html
Fashion_2005 thumbnail
SRK brandwagon may park at KBC

SONALI KRISHNA

TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 28, 2006 02:09:01 AM>

MUMBAI: The KBC deal will not only add to ShahRukh Khan's brand power, it may also work wonders for Star India's TRPs If the original series of KBC in 2000 changed the face of Star India, and KBC 2 took the show to another level, KBC 3 as a business proposition may not only generate cash flows for Star, but also maintain status value and draw audiences who may have migrated to other channels. At least, that is the expectation of Mr Nair and his ad sales team.

To place KBC in the 9-10 pm prime time slot from Monday to Thursday makes sense as this band is currently the weak link for Star Plus. The channel has Viraasat, followed by Karam Apnaa Apnaa. But both are not leadership programmes and the band is currently being shared equally by Star Plus, Zee and Sony. Audience loyalty factor is yet to set in. With the KBC strategy, Star Plus is looking at an overall expansion of its audience base.

This will also help it attract more viewers across the prime time belt of 8:30-11:30 pm. While the launch of KBC in 2000 took place on Star Plus, which was then a weak platform, KBC 2 in 2005 launched on the strongest general entertainment platform in the country. In 2000, there were only 25 million C&S homes; this figure is now close to 60 million.

Also, while KBC 2 allowed for the new entry mechanisms via SMS, internet and landlines with the entry question being aired frequently on prime time, KBC in 2007 will take that to the next level, with Star India also getting aggressive about new media.

However, media professionals say that advertising sales for KBC this time round will be a lot more challenging considering close to Rs 425-450 crore is what television at large gets in a single quarter.

Let's not forget that the last quarter of 2006-2007 will have to factor in the upcoming tour of West Indies to India, Sri Lanka's tour to India followed by West Indies hosting the World Cup. That apart, there seems to be a resurgence at Zee, and Sony seems to trying out its own programming spikes to better its ratings.

However, KBC always seems to be a new opportunity from an advertiser's point of view, and with SRK playing host this time, Star India officials are trying hard to get in the numerous brands that he endorses.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...how/609650.cms
Fashion_2005 thumbnail
SRK on Hot seat!

Monday, 27 November, 2006

Three letters that spell magic, three letters that spell excitement, three letters that every Indian knows SRK and KBC, and now they are declared to be together.

Kaun Banega Crorepati (KBC), the most awaited show on television is back… And how! To reach out to an India where 2/3rd's of the population is below 35, KBC will be back in its Gen Next avatar with a new host - none other than the Badshah of Bollywood, ShahRukh Khan.

Sameer Nair, CEO, STAR Entertainment India, says, "Kaun Banega Crorepati has redefined television viewing in India. KBC is very close to our hearts as it laid the foundation for STAR Plus' unprecedented domination over the last six years. We are extremely delighted to announce the Next Gen avatar of KBC and are even more pleased to present ShahRukh Khan, as its host. We promise to engage and deliver to our audiences a whole new entertainment experience".

ShahRukh Khan added, "I was pleasantly surprised when STAR offered me the show. I was a participant in season one of KBC... and little did I know one day I would be hosting it. It is a huge act to follow, that of Mr. Bachchan... but it also excites me that I am getting an opportunity to reach out... talk and interact with my audience through a medium where I began my career as an actor years ago. So here's looking forward to coming round a full circle... Guess unlock kiya jaaye".

STAR India has signed a five year contract with Celador for Kaun Banega Crorepati. The deal incorporates both the format and programme license, and is the longest continuing license that has ever been granted for the globally successful show.

Kaun Banega Crorepati will be produced by Siddhartha Basu's Synergy Communications. Says Siddhartha, "KBC with SRK will bring a whole new set of audience to STAR Plus. Although I have been associated with KBC ever since it began, this is literally a new beginning for me. SRK's wit, energy, excitement and enthusiasm will rub-off onto all of us and together as a team we hope to create some magical moments on television".

ShahRukh Khan is currently out of the country and STAR India will be hosting a press conference in Delhi and Mumbai in the first week of December to enable members of the press to interact with him and "quiz" him on KBC.

http://www.indya.com/news/srk_kbc3.html
Fashion_2005 thumbnail
web edition

Back to basics

After Hours Correspondent

Monday, November 27, 2006 23:50 IST

Life takes a 360 degree turn for King Khan who started his career with television in 1988 — in 2007, he will be back on television. After Hours traces the superstar's amazing journey through four people who have accompanied him in different phases of his amazing career...

Phase 1: Contrary to popular belief, 'Fauji' was not Shah Rukh's first television appearance. He made a 5-second appearance in 'Wagle Ki Duniya'!

Anjan Srivastava, who played the lead role of Mr Wagle remembers, "Shah Rukh played a boy who was supposed to be my son's age in an episode of 'Wagle Ki Duniya'. Even then he was tremendously enthusiastic and constantly asking for my opinion the takes he gave. SRK was like a student, constantly seeking and asking questions. Even then I could sense his ambition and passion. I recommended his name to a filmmaker but he turned him down. Now he's regretting that decision."

Phase 2: Shah Rukh's first film was 'Deewana', directed by Raj Kanwar.

Raj Kanwar says, ""It's good news that Shah Rukh is doing KBC. He will certainly bring his own style into the game. Without doubt Amitji has popularised the show, but I am sure Shah Rukh will take it to another level. His attraction, appeal and energy makes him a very special star. Success hasn't changed him either. I keep meeting him often and he always has time for friends. Whenever he's shooting nearby, I drop in, and he receives me with great love. That's Shah Rukh. All that has changed about him over the years is that he has become more responsible. Otherwise, he remains what he always was."

Phase 3: Shah Rukh reached the King Khan status post 'DDLJ' and his good friend Karan Johar's films like 'Kuch Kuch Hota Hai', 'Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham' kept him firmly there

Says Karan Johar, "I would never want to go on a film set where he's not there. Right now, I can't think about it and I hope I don't have to. He's a part of me and he gives me a lot of strength, emotionally and professionally."

Phase 4: From that five second role in 'Wagle Ki Duniya' to playing host to a game show in the 19 years, demanding a sum that runs into hundreds of crores, this one is truly a success story! Shailaja Kejriwal, Senior Creative Director, Star TV says, "We believe Shah Rukh's presence will bring with it a new vitality, youthful energy and reach out to new audiences in India where two-thirds of the population is below 35 years of age."

Rs 30 lakh per episode!

Shah Rukh Khan has signed a contract with Star TV for two seasons of 52 episodes each.

While Star has rubbished speculation of SRK being paid around Rs 280 crore, After Hours has learnt through reliable sources that the deal is actually worth Rs 32 crores.

For 104 episodes, it roughly translates to Rs 30 lakh per episode!

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1066501