KBC 3(with srk) : Concept and Articles - Page 5

Posted: 17 years ago
The Big B as a guest on KBC?

Sanghita Singh
Monday, December 04, 2006 19:24 IST

Updated at 7.45 pm

NEW DELHI: "I live in everybody's hearts. And compared to that, the small screen is bigger," said ShahRukh Khan in his trademark style as he officially announced his comeback to television with the new edition of 'Kaun Banega Crorepati'.

Khan, who will take the game show forward in January from where Amitabh Bachchan left, refuses to be called a replacement. "It is wrong for people to say that I am replacing Mr Bachchan. I am here today and tomorrow may be there will be a new host for KBC. There is no question of replacement — that happens only when the person wants to carry on and is not being allowed to. Mr Bachchan decided not to carry on and I was the second choice. Comparisons are okay, but they should not be degrading to any person, they should be made in a healthy manner. Mr Bachchan's shoes are too big for me. Hopefully I will not bring down the standard of the show," Khan said.

Shah Rukh was particularly excited about coming back to Delhi — his 'city of joy' — and restarting his tryst with television from the capital where his acting career took off with TV serials like 'Fauji' and 'Doosra Kewal'. "Delhi is where I spent my childhood. KBC will give me the opportunity to reconnect with the city. In fact, in my line of work, I rarely get to interact with the audiences I work for. This will be my chance to reach out and know all those people who love me and make all those who don't like me fall in love with me," said the actor betraying his superstar confidence.

About having celebrity guests on the show, Shah Rukh recounted his own experience adding if the show were to ever have Mr Bachchan as a guest he would go down on bended knees to personally invite him. "If Mr Bachchan were ever to come for the show, I would drive him down to the studio myself. It would be a great honour. I still remember the time when I came on the show for a charity episode. I was nervous but prepared for seven-eight days. And I think I fared well. As a host I plan to do my research well. I am going to download newspapers from the past two years and read them all," he explained.

[email protected]

www.dnaindia.com

Please let me be me: Shah Rukh

Arnab Banerjee

New Delhi, December 4, 2006
HindustanTimes

He is back. Yet Again. Breaking his stand on doing only- one- film- a- year, he hogs headlines as there was a flurry of shutterbugs and scribes at the special press conference he addressed at The Oberoi's in the Capital.

But this time the 'Badshaah' is making more news for what seems to be making history - He replaces the Big B in the Star televisions's game show Kaun Banega Crorepati, a rip off of the popular American show Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

While the organisers are tight- lipped about his remuneration, insiders reveal it 'has to be' the double the deal between the channel and the erstwhile host the Big B, who raked in close to 140 crores.

Charming and his wittiest best, the Don, as he is fondly referred too, has that secret up his sleeve but doesn't find it in any way, a 'downslide' from the humungous Karan Johar -Yash Chopra films that he is known for doing. A tete-a-tete with the King Khan.

What attracted you to the game show KBC?

Samir (Nair) had spoken to me about doing the show some time back and we had been in discussion for a while. I just thought it would be something different from what I have done so far.

Any apprehensions about replacing Mr Bachchan?

Mr Bachchan has been an icon. He is one of the greatest star actor hosts India has ever known. But please… comparisons are odious and as such should never be brought in. He is someone I have grown up watching and have been a great admirer of.

I think this whole business of replacing Mr Bachchan is blown out of proportion by the media. I was told that Mr Bachchan wouldn't be doing the show anymore and that they(STAR) wanted a replacement. If it hadn't been me, it would have been somebody else. Besides, he (AB) is family to me and I wouldn't think of 'replacing' him in any other way.

But the constant comparisons must be irritating? How do you keep your cool?

With due respect to Mr Bachchan and to the show organisers, I think while it is perfectly logical to look for comparisons here because of the huge popularity of the show when Amitji hosted it, I would request people to think intelligently and not get swayed by emotions alone, and allow the show to go on.

And I am sure, the show is much bigger than all of us and there are going to be even better hosts after me who would carry it forward.

Mr Bachchan gave the show his own individualistic approach with his chaste impeccable Hindi and personality into the show. What can we expect from SRK?

Please… please.. let me be me…that's all. I think I am going to add to the show my won personality. Of course the game format remains the same – the prize money, four life lines, four options for answers et al. I would like to add some masala, the way one mixes masala to our kind of movies - into the show.

How did your family react to the news?

My son Aryan asked me when I mentioned in passing at night the day Samir asked me first to do the show. Do you know what his reaction was? He told me categorically that I should do the show only if Crorepati uncle (that's his term of endearment for Mr Bachchan) doesn't host it anymore.

And sure enough, he was relieved when I told him so that Amitji wouldn't be doing it, hence I am stepping in.

Are there any preparations on from your end?

I have been burning the midnight oil preparing questions (laughs).. No, that's not it… just kidding. I think I am going to read up a lot, visit the net, browse through a lot of information, dig out stories from some past year's newspapers to be ready with the questions. In any case, it's the research team at Siddharth Basu's Synergy Communications which does all the ground work.

So there's not going to be any homework from your side?

I wish it were that easy. You make it sound as if I don't deserve to be just doing that( laughs). Let me see, we haven't started shooting yet and I am sure I am going to do my bit too to add to the show's ratings.

Is television a come-down for icons like you?

I don't think television is any way less. In fact there's more hard work doing television than doing cinema. It's very paying as well. While not going into details about my pay package, let me tell you that it is very satisfying (grins).

What else did you think before accepting the offer?

I thought it would be one opportunity to interact with the countless fans I have across the country since otherwise the kind of lifestyle we (actors) lead, it's really not possible to get closer to the common masses.

www.hindustantimes.com

Edited by Fashion_2005 - 17 years ago
Shahenshah- Badshah Cold War Intensifies

[4 Dec 2006>

The already existing sour relations between the Bachchan camp and Shah Rukh Khan loyalists went to even higher pitch when King Khan signed Kaun Banega Crorepati 3 with Star Plus replacing Amitabh from the show. According to sources Amitabh was 'literally told to come back to work after his illness and shoot some episodes. He put his foot down and refused. Things started going downwards from that point onwards.' After this Star and Khan concluded a deal without any knowledge to Amitabh, who felt hurt at the way SRK did this. The cold war between the two camps has become so intense that even they avoid talking to each other than just exchanging formal greetings. It was more than clear at the birthday party of Anupam Kher's son where Amitabh's family with Aishwarya was sitting just opposite to SRK's table but they hardly spoke to each other except exchanging formal greetings. It seemed at one point of time of time that King Khan wanted to talk with Aishwarya but could not as she was sitting close to Abhishek all the time.

Even Shah Rukh and Amitabh's social and political affiliations are directly opposite to each other. While King Khan went to Mukesh Ambani's wife birthday party and made a great dhamaal, Amitabh Bachchan and family have always sided with Anil Ambani, the younger of the two sons of Dhiru Bhai. Amitabh prefers Amar Singh and can be seen on all the occasion with him, Jaya Bachchan being a member of parliament from Samajwadi Party of Amar Singh. On the other hand, Shah Rukh Khan hobnobs with Sonia Gandhi's Congress Party with whom Amitabh has strained relationship.

http://magnamags.com/magna_stardust/node/459
SRK in KBC: New dost on TV

Piyali Dasgupta

He wants to be the dost and not the host, on TV. When Kaun Banega Crorepati (KBC) returns to Star Plus in mid-January 2007, Bollywood's badshah will be at the helm.

KBC in its new GenNext avatar marks the return of ShahRukh Khan on TV. On a nippy Monday afternoon, SRK hosted a plethora of questions from eager Delhi scribes.

Incidentally, the idea of bringing 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire' to an Indian audience was conceived off at the same deluxe hotel which was the venue for today's event. SRK was a celebrity participant in Bachchan's KBC and would have hit the jackpot, but for a last-minute blooper.

The dominant blue of Amitabh Bachchan's KBC set has been replaced by a vibrant red, though the logo remains the same. A dapper SRK, accompanied by equally dapper bodyguards, took the stage, accompanied by the CEO of Star Entertainment India, Sameer Nair and Synergy Communications' Siddhartha Basu. KBC continues to be produced by Basu's Synergy Communications.

Announcing the launch of KBC, Sameer Nair said SRK's wit, charm, energy and style, coupled with the rock-solid foundation of the show will come together to give audiences an incredible television viewing experience.

SRK was repeatedly asked why he chose to frequently follow Bachchan's indubitable lead. In trademark style SRK said comparisons de-valued an actor. "Bachchan saab ki jhote waise bhi mere liye kaafi bara hai ." KBC did wonders for Bachchan's career when the superstar was going through a bad patch professionally. SRK was asked if he was vacating the Bollywood badshah slot for Hrithik Roshan or Abhishek Bachchan. "Without an abdication there can be no crowning of another king. Forgive me if I am sounding pompous, but I am here and I am staying," said Shah Rukh.

With films and live shows, was Shah Rukh spreading himself too thin? "I have been working on 3 films per year for the last 17 years. Also some live shows and I have other engagements. This is a job like any other and we have worked out timelines," was the star's reply.

Incidentally, SRK's son Aryaan had urged him to take up KBC only if 'Crorepati Uncle' would not do it any more. Sameer Nair clarified that Bachchan had intimated to Star as early as July this year that he would not continue with the show. SRK had prepared for about a month when he was a participant on KBC. This time around, as host or rather the dost, on TV, its no different. He plans to 'look up old issues of newspapers on the Net.' Take it with a pinch of salt, but one thing is sure, he plans to approach the anchor's role (and Siddhartha Basu dubs him as one who is a natural anchor) with the same tenacity and effort he puts in his films, or live shows.

What's the real reason for SRK making an appearance on TV again? He wants a way in which he can connect to with the common man. "As actors, the nature of our jobs makes it difficult to be in touch with ordinary people. This is one way I can be in touch."

Will SRK do a Big B on TV? One hopes not. Rather KBC, the stakeholders and the public should want SRK to just say, 'main hoon na.' Enjoy!
With the launch of KBC, Star India has signed a 5-year contract with Celador (the creator of the original show) for this format. The deal incorporates both the format and programme license, and is the longest continuing license that has ever been granted for the global show.

Indiatimes

'There's no question of my moving on…'

Star CEO Samir Nair says that he's too busy with KBC to think of quitting the channel now.

Reports stating that Star's CEO Samir Nair is moving on seem to be untrue in most part. In a conversation with Mumbai Mirror, Star's top honcho laughed dismissively on being asked the question about his resignation. "Where did all this start? I've been inundated with anxious calls and messages all morning. For the record, I was on the sets of Kaun Banega Crorepati all night. We're looking at getting the programme jump-started. There's absolutely no question of my moving on… yet."

So is Samir planning a move in the near future? "See, there are lots of discussions, debates and meetings happening. We'll see how things go.  Perhaps by the end of next week, the picture will be clearer. There's no point in jumping the gun on this one.

It will be improper for me to deny all plans of a change in the Star hierarchy.  But as far as I'm concerned, there's no definite plan yet to move. At the moment, I'm completely taken up with KBC.  I was on the sets last night. I'll be there on Saturday and Sunday nights. Then, on Monday, we'll start shooting after a puja at 9 am. Does that schedule belong to a man who intends to leave his job?"

* At the moment, I'm completely taken up with KBC.  I was on the sets last night. I'll be there on Saturday and Sunday nights. Then, on Monday, we'll start shooting after a puja at 9 am. Does that schedule belong to a man who intends to leave his job? — Samir Nair

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/net/mmpaper.aspx?page=article&am p;sectid=12&contentid=200701130232359313b58b99

Indian Television 2007

By: Arya Aiyappan
Tuesday, January 09, 2007  
Subscribe to Newsletter

Television is growing by leaps and bounds. 2007 promises to bring in a lot of new visual wonders for the audience. 2006 slowly went by after having revived the reality shows and talent hunts with "Nach Baliye", "Business Baazigar". 2007 promises a string of surprises with the CAS conferring power into the hands of the spectators.

Speculations are soaring high and more channels and programmes are vying for visibility. Pranoy Roy's NDTV 24x 7 is launching a new entertainment channel with Karan Johar's Dharma Productions. Celebrities are venturing into the small screen trying to disseminate their charisma with Shahrukh Khan following Amitabh Bachchan's trail in "Kaun Banega Crorepati" (KBC) and action hero Suniel Shetty joining the train with "The Biggest Loser", an adaptation of a American reality show focusing on health, fitness and inspiration. As the super stars are contending for recognition on the small screen there, the possibilities of exploiting the screen space is enormous.

Remake spree is still on its way to infect many as the small screen is all geared up to remake classics with Doordarshan and Famous Studios intending to remake the epic film Mother India into a serial "Dharamputra" with Mrinal Kulkarni playing the lead. As the first Indian serial to be shot on High Definition camera format, this serial has much to its credit. Though the essence of the film would be the same as the classic the ambience would be in sync with the spirit of the age with the city as its backdrop.

Akin to KBC enters into its third season MTV's Semi Girebaal is all set to greet the New Year with a host of new guests and a follow-up of Ghoom 2 (a take-off on Dhoom2). Nach Baliye and Jhalak Dikhla Jaa are also planning to come up with their respective sequels this year. Channel V with its two new veejays -Tanvir Gill and Neil Bhoopalan is geared up for a dazzling musical show, Big V concert in Mumbai. With satellite films in demand and movie channel increasing every other day Set Max has bought Dhoom2 and Kabul Express.

2007 also heads for a swapping of shows and stars. Star One and Zee are simultaneously showcasing "Antakshari" with the similar system, but a revamped look and new faces. Gajendra Singh walked out of Zee to join Star One, followed by Annu Kapoor who managed to get a prime time for "Antakshari-The Great Challenge" with the former consenting to produce it from the beginning of February. Nonetheless Zee latches on to its brand name in airing Antakshari from January 5 with Zee Challenge 2005 winner Himani Kapoor and Laughter Challenge (Star One) winner Sunil Pal as presenters. With the endless set of replacements on the way, Star Plus' prime time show Karam Apna Apna has roped in Yash Tonk to essay the lead role of Shiv when Iqbal Khan decided to quit.

Top-notch heroines of television are in for some exciting roles this year. Smriti Irani of Kyunki fame will be seen in her home production "Viruddh" along with some of the finest talents Sushant Singh, Ashwini Kalsekar, Vikram Gokhale, Achint Kaur, and Govind Namdev on Sony, written by Kamalesh Pandey. Mona Singh of Jassi fame and Jhalak Dikhla Ja winner 2006 is to host a show "Extreme Makeover" centering on people who cannot lead normal lives due to defects wherein a group of doctors, dentists and crew would help them overcome it and relate to the audience the success stories. With this aiming to capture the afternoon and early evening slot, Sandiip Sikcand creative director of Sony plans to telecast "Durgesh Nandini" based on the Bankim Chandra Chatterjee novel.

Balaji Telefilms and Ekta Kapoor is put up yet another soap Kis Rishtey Se based on a popular novel spinning around the mayhem in the life of two stepsisters and their life with most sought after actors Shabbir Ahluwalia, Karan Wahi and Ronit Roy. Renuka Shahane makes a comeback after her hiatus from the small screen with "Jeete Hain Jiske Liye" an adaptation of telenovella La Madratssa, which has been unlawfully used in the generation leap in "Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki".

Luck is twice benevolent upon ESPN-STAR Sports having secured the broadcast rights not only for UEFA league and French Open Grand Slam tournament rights for five years but also the ICC events from 2007 to 2015. Mandira Bedi will continue to host Mandira "Extraa Innings". Television is a fast booming industry and time has proved it again and again.

Bachchan best: SRK

- KBC pioneer's boots too big for King Khan

PRATIM D. GUPTA

New Delhi, Dec. 4: Who is the best man to be Kaun Banega Crorepati host?

Amitabh Bachchan.

Lock kiya jai?

Of course.

At least, so thinks Shah Rukh Khan, who today dismissed all talk of competing with Bachchan, his predecessor as host of the most popular Indian TV show ever.

Terming comparisons with Big B as "odious and harmful", Shah Rukh said he was always the "second-best choice". It was only because Bachchan had declined to return to the famous black chair that "anybody in their heart and mind" could pick him.

King Khan today appeared for the first time as the new KBC host after the hurried announcement a few days ago when he was away in Melbourne shooting for Chak De India.

"Unke joote mere liye bahut barein hai (Bachchan's shoes are too big for me)," he said in a lighter vein.

"The idea is not to outdo anybody but to maintain the levels of class and beauty that Mr Bachchan took the show to. I am just genuinely excited, after a long time, to be part of something which has made history."

SRK admitted that having seen him play Bachchan's Don just a month ago, people might be expected to think he was now trying to do a Bachchan on the small screen.

"The real reason I took up the STAR offer is that I wanted to spend more time with the people who have kept me employed for the last 17 years," he explained.

"The format of the show is such that I will be able to interact with everyone out there. My biggest challenge is to be able to extend that love, to be the dost (friend), not the host."

Shah Rukh was happy to launch KBC in the city where he had started his television career.

"I wouldn't say this is a comeback for me because I never left the medium," he insisted. "I started out on TV and then went on to movies; and movies today form a huge part of TV. The small screen is no longer small. It has a bigger reach than movies and now I am hoping to become a bigger star. It's a step up for me, not a step down."

Shah Rukh had never made a secret of his admiration for the quiz show. In best friend Karan Johar's popular chat show Koffee With Karan, he had said that the one thing Bachchan had and he hadn't was KBC.

STAR maintained that Shah Rukh had been the channel's only choice right from July when Bachchan expressed his lack of interest.

"Shah Rukh was in a list of one," said STAR entertainment chief executive officer Samir Nair. "KBC made STAR number one from number three in just seven days, and we believe that Shah Rukh will make the show even bigger."

Producer Siddhartha Basu said viewers wouldn't miss Bachchan once the show returned on STAR Plus in mid-January.

"The original game is on in 106 countries and Mr Bachchan doesn't host all of them," he said. "Shah Rukh will bring his own wit, intelligence and style to the show. He thinks on his feet and there was an anchor waiting inside the actor in him all this while."

As for the game, STAR said it's the same: "The same Rs 2 crore to win, the same four lifelines, the same 15 questions, the same four options."

But as the new campaign for KBC goes, with King Khan around, "something feels new".

http://telegraphindia.com/1061205/asp/frontpage/story_709552 8.asp
Shah Rukh Khan wants to do it his own way

05th Dec 2006 09.01 IST
By Agencies

Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan insists on doing his own thing as the host of the super-duper game show 'Kaun Banega Crorepati' than ape its illustrious former anchor mega superstar Amitabh Bachchan .

"With all humility, I will do it my way. Please allow me a chance to be me and respect me for that." This is what SRK had to say on being the chosen one to succeed Bachchan, while talking to the media in New Delhi.

Asked whether he would be able to match Bachchan in style and poise, rather "fit into his shoes," SRK said: "They are too big for me. I am too small for them."

But he was quick to add that it was the show's concept that made it so popular in as many as 106 countries. "Obviously, as time goes by, anchors change. I am not a permanent person, may be."

SRK said he will bring in his personality to the show but "maintain the beauty of Amitabh."

SRK, who has been signed on for two series or roughly 100 episodes for an undisclosed sum, is set to don the mantle of the quizmaster from January 2007.

"Shah Rukh is undoubtedly our reigning King of Indian cinema. His wit, charm, energy and style, coupled with the rock solid foundation of the show, will come together to give audiences an extraordinary TV viewing experience," Star Entertainment CEO Sameer Nair said.

Siddhartha Basu of Synergy Communication, the production house for the show, said SRK was "never the second choice to Bachchan but the next alternative."

Bachchan, for whom KBC served as the much-required catalyst to boost sagging professional fortunes in 2000, called it quits due to poor health and the TV network said it supported and respected his decision.

KBC will offer a mega prize money of Rs 2 crore to a contestant who answers 15 correct questions, and Star and Synergy said they add "some new things" to the format of the show in the new season with SRK.

Asked whether the re-entry into television would be at the cost of films, SRK said he was equally conscious to his career in cinema. "I do three films in a year and each film takes about 80-90 days. I still have a lot many days for this show," he said, adding: "I never went away from the small screen."

SRK said the "intelligence of the show" as well as its people-centric format were reasons that prompted him to take it up. "Through this, I can be interactive and will be able to meet people. I can come a lot closer to my audiences," he said, adding that he would make an effort to be a "loving friend" of the participants to make them comfortable.

SRK has had a sneak preview of KBC when he was invited as a guest on the show. Asked whether he would like to invite Bachchan to his show, he said: "I will go on bended knees to invite him."

http://apunkachoice.com/scoop/bollywood/20061205-0.html
I hope to bring my personality into KBC: Shah Rukh

IANS

Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan, who succeeds Amitabh Bachchan as the new host of STAR Plus' highly popular game show "Kaun Banega Crorepati", said Monday he would try to bring his personality into the show even while making sure it did not lose its earlier appeal.

"It's very special for me because I am going to host such a beautiful show," Khan said at a press conference here. He was named to host the show last week in place of Bachchan who steered the show from 2000 for two seasons.

"It is very, very close to my heart like to the millions and billions of people in the country. It is smart, classy, cool and hopefully I will not bring it down and keep it as it was earlier," Shah Rukh said. The show goes on air in January next year.

To a question, he said: "The show has a set format. In fact, it has an international format. And I hope, I will bring my personality into it. Undoubtedly, the current popularity of the show is due to Mr. Bachchan and I hope I maintain that."

"I am honoured that Sameer Nair (CEO STAR Entertainment India) and Siddharth Basu (quiz master) thought that I am good enough to join the show."

"The second part of my happiness is that I am being able to do it in my city of joy, that is New Delhi. I am also very happy that once again I am coming back on television from where I started my career."

Commenting upon the format of the show he said: "We will surely present it in a new way. There would be something new in the show. You will find changes in the format. Technically also we have moved ahead - like the number of phone calls and SMSes have gone up. As far as the actual creativeness is concerned, we will start working on it now."

Nair, who was present at the conference, said that KBC was the most important show of STAR because it had boosted its ratings and catapulted it to No. 3 from No. 7.

"We have signed a fresh contract and now KBC will be on air till 2012, but it is going to be a seasonal thing. We will have 52 to 60 episodes per calendar year," said Nair.

Nair said he was confident that Shah Rukh Khan would take the show on the road to success.

"When Amitabh Bachchan declined the offer we thought Shah Rukh is the only person to carry it further. We are thankful to him for accepting the challenge."

Basu was equally confident about Shah Rukh, and said: "Shah Rukh is classy, charming and smart. He is one of the most entertaining actors. He is going to be superb on the show because he has got the wit and intelligence."

The show will be telecast four days a week - Monday to Thursday.

http://www.glamsham.com/movies/scoops/06/dec/05_shah_rukh_kh an_kaun_banega_crorepati.asp
Shahrukh Khan to host 'SRK KBC'

Monday, December 04, 2006 03:19:29 pm

Shahrukh Khan at the STAR TV press conference in Delhi

Brand SRK is all set to bring KBC back. The Badshaah of Bollywood will take the reins of the show that has created television history when it is introduced in its next avatar.

STAR India has signed a 5 year contract with Shahrukh Khan for Kaun Banega Crorepati. The deal incorporates both the format and programme license and will be produced by Siddhartha Basu's Synergy Communications.

King Khan and STAR India held a press conference in Delhi to allow members of the press to interact with him and "quiz" him on KBC and him filling into the shoes of the Big B.

"I was pleasantly surprised when STAR offered me the show. I was a participant in season one of KBC, and little did I know that one day I would be hosting it," said Shahrukh.

"It is a huge act to follow, that of Mr. Bachchan; but it also excites me that I am getting an opportunity to reach out, talk and interact with my audience through a medium where I began my career as an actor years ago. So here's looking forward to coming around full circle, guess 'unlock kiya jaaye'", he added.

Video:

http://www.timesnow.tv/Sections/Entertainment/Shahrukh_Khan_ to_host_SRK_KBC/articleshow/710328.cms Edited by Fashion_2005 - 17 years ago