Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 4 years ago

Originally posted by: RegressiveThug

Simbaa also had women empowerment messages, will you call it feminists movie?

No because it was 80s "man taking revenge for sister's rape" storyline which is regressive. 

Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Looney86

No because it was 80s "man taking revenge for sister's rape" storyline which is regressive. 

So same way, this movie is about the rape reality of India in general and Kota city in particular as a backdrop with the main story being a police officer trying to find a psycho killer who is playing games with the law, and killing and raping girls as a means to unsettle them. The main focus of the movie is a cat and mouse chase, and not women empowerment. What message will this one have? Same as any male lead movie where hero gives two three lines about how women should be respected.

This isn't about systematic supression of women story like Pink, English Vinglish, Queen, and so on, and how women break free or shows a different side of women, besides the traditional roles. The only thing is the lead role is played a woman, but I don't think a lead role by a woman, makes it a feminist movie. And knowing Rani, I doubt she even cares about feminism.

Pain-in-ur-Neck thumbnail

Mardaani term denotes a woman who has bravery and strength of a man! ... Ofc without a doubt it's a sexist term and Ofc regressive. Just becoz it has a root to some ancient female poem doesn't mean it should get a leeway LMAO! 

I find the term not very pleasant and wouldn't use to describe a woman. At the same time I can't stop others from not using it!

Mardaani released many years back ... not sure if there was any backlash then and even now I don't see any backlash .. People have gotten comfortable with the word it seems! 

bips thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 8

We are all evolving.  ... 

Like parents say 'yeh meri beti nahin beta hai'or' beta jaisi hai'..... In their mind they are being progressive as their own parents differentiated between genders and they want to emphasise that for them the daughter is equivalent to a son.... 

However, our generation will realise that the statements are problematic... But it doesn't mean that the parents are misogynists.. The parents are doing their best as per their understanding and conditioning... 

So i feel we should acknowledge both that some things are problematic and also that their intent does not come from a sexist place.... Acknowledge, change and move on... 

But in common hindi language, people use mardaani to describe someone having masculine traits. Many times it's used for someone who is a tomboy.

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: RegressiveThug

So same way, this movie is about the rape reality of India in general and Kota city in particular as a backdrop with the main story being a police officer trying to find a psycho killer who is playing games with the law, and killing and raping girls as a means to unsettle them. The main focus of the movie is a cat and mouse chase, and not women empowerment. What message will this one have? Same as any male lead movie where hero gives two three lines about how women should be respected.

This isn't about systematic supression of women story like Pink, English Vinglish, Queen, and so on, and how women break free or shows a different side of women, besides the traditional roles. The only thing is the lead role is played a woman, but I don't think a lead role by a woman, makes it a feminist movie. And knowing Rani, I doubt she even cares about feminism.

In my opinion, whenever you have a female perspective or investigation into rape/sexual assault, it becomes inherently feminist. That is why Law & Order: SVU is considered feminist instead of just a cop show. Olivia Benson's evolution as a character and her perspective on the crimes make it feminist. The Millennium is considered a feminist film and not just another crime thriller because of the focus on how rape/sexual assault shapes Lisbeth Salander as a person. The Netflix series 'Unbelievable' is considered feminist because the entire premise is why a female perspective on rape helps smalltown police departments nab a serial rapist while Seattle PD messed up the whole investigation. 

I'd also say that having a woman as a cop and having the movie bereft of cliched romance plots is a break from traditional roles.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Rani Mukherjee doing Kung fu for 2-3 hours in some multiplex

ill pass 🤣🤣

HearMeRoar thumbnail

I don't know I'd call it misogynistic as much as paternalistic.

Still, it doesn't take away from the fact the movie is a giant step forward in how women are portrayed in Hindi cinema.

I've decided to believe perfect is the enemy of good. Mardaani is good in content. Plus, the title was not intentionally offensive I think. Perfection can come later.

PS. I have objections to how a cop is shown to behave in the movie. He/she should know better than to brag or give silly deadlines.

Edited by MahanalayakKarn - 4 years ago
Swetha-Sai thumbnail

Excellent topic.. ⭐️

Loved reading various POV here. 👍🏼