Frequent Posters

avchowdhury thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 4 years ago

Very interesting update.

jyothirockz thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

It hurts to see Khushi all into Shyam while she hates even to see Arnav’s face. But, I agree with Payal about the proposal ...

coderlady thumbnail
Most Comments (2023) 1 Thumbnail Most Comments (July 2023)  1 Thumbnail + 8

Hope Khushi will listen to Payal. Shyam does not seem to be interested in a long term relationship.

Sur_01 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Chapter 09 - Common Ground

"Are you here for the free alcohol?" Khushi slid next to him almost noiselessly, startling him. His drink splashed around in his glass but didn't make it to his suit.

"I owed the speaker so did my part. The discussion was better than I expected, so there. What's your excuse?" he raised his glass towards her.

"Had to mark my attendance for 'business development events'." She shrugged and clinked her wine glass against his.

"So how long until you slip out of the back door?" Arnav sipped his drink and stared ahead.

"Twenty minutes. I'm just circling the room to avoid the Walrus." Khushi signaled, pointing at a vivacious man with a booming voice. Arnav took a quick look and burst out laughing.

"The level of pretentiousness in this room is cringeworthy, really." She began her rant. He finished his drink and leaned back against the pillar. 

"Introductions start with who knows who, as a bid to prove that they belong. The membership is exclusive and hierarchal but they all sincerely believe in meritocracy. After a long session of intellectual masturbation on equality and how the less privileged benefit from their work, the man in the blue suit will casually request his son gets to "learn from the best" without batting an eyelid. And then, a lowly manager like me will need to spend the next six months trying to cover up for a spoilt brat instead of hiring somebody who really needed that job and made my life easier." 

"Aren't you a part of the club as well, Raizada?" She asked after a pause. He cocked his head at her.

"Very much. All the rich kids get together on weekends in Lonavla for an orgy and do coke." He deadpanned. Khushi stared at him incredulously and he grinned after a long moment. His expression toned down and he closed his eyes.

"I have received a lot of quality guidance from my family and I'll never be as naive to deny that Khushi. I was lucky to be born with a nice safety net of my father's business. But I was never really cut out for business like him and wanted to branch out on my own. That... complicated the situation around succession a bit and I burned some bridged in the process. So, no fancy introductions for me. But still, I already knew some people in the industry and that definitely helped."

Khushi stares at him in awe as he flicks back his wavy locks and crosses one leg over the other.

"That is... interesting." Khushi said slowly and smiled at him. "But it all turned out fine, right I mean..?" she asked and immediately regretted it as his expression darkened.

"Well, I think so. I got invited to a couple of family gatherings eventually but we never really managed to have a proper conversation about it. They died in a car accident when I was twenty."

He almost choked on the words weirdly and looked away. Why on the earth was he having this conversation with her?

She spluttered and stared at his grim expression. Suddenly, she saw something familiar in his eyes - the sense of loss that had haunted her for long, reflected in the most unlikely pair she would have ever imagined.

"I'm... I am really sorry Arnav, I did not mean to bring that up at all." She finally managed, extending her hand to touch his arm. He started at the touch but did not pull away.

"It's been a long time. Are you going to reciprocate with something about yourself so that I feel like less of an idiot?" he handed her another glass of wine from the passing waiter.

"Well... I like it when you feel stupid, self-realization is important... Alright. I'm from Lucknow, brought up by my bua. So yeah, I get it." She smiled sadly and it was his turn to be shocked.

"Twenty minutes are up, I see the party approaching us. Care for some dinner?" he asked, recovering quickly. She nodded vigorously and followed him out.

"What exactly is the difference between eating that and swallowing half a kg of sugar in one go?" Arnav asked sincerely as Khushi stuffed a jalebi in her mouth.

"Keep going at it, Arnav. Even you can't spoil the happiness I can feel right now." She smiles as she tucks another piece into her mouth. 

The sound of his name as she speaks it almost feels like a punch in his gut. He purses his lips but grins anyways. She had suggested a placed styled after a dhaba for dinner and they had driven in silence. He had felt an odd sense of comfort and turned on the radio. They had hummed an old song together all the way. Who knew dead parents could be effective ice-breakers. 

He cringed at the sight of melting butter but was quickly enamored by the taste. As he finished off his fourth parantha, Khushi continued to dig into the plate of jalebis.

"What did you finally decide about the offer?" he broached the topic carefully. 

"Well... there are some personal dynamics involved for me but objectively I like it. Rishabh has been my boss for quite a while and I enjoy working with him. Between the partners and us, I think we have a decent chance of showcasing a credible track record and building the pipeline. What are your thoughts?"

"Similar... Just that I'd be moving from a much bigger fund to a brand new one, which is always a tough choice. I do think that the team is great."

"Does that include me as well, your royalty?" she raised an eyebrow and smirks.

"I'd say you've earned some favor" he humored her. "So by when do you think you'll make your decision?"

"I think I already like the job. It's the location that is a bit of a challenge. I'm not sure about moving to Hong Kong and there are... some things I'd like to clear out. Hopefully, by the end of next week, I'll have an answer."

swtsam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 4 Thumbnail

Amazing....read all chapters in a go...

Loved it ....plzzz pm me ur updates...

rockingsoni thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

This job is going to change their lives....yayyy...

Uzii thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

The new job is definitely going to change their present equation n also their personal lives  n I really hope that khushi get rid of that Shyam.

coderlady thumbnail
Most Comments (2023) 1 Thumbnail Most Comments (July 2023)  1 Thumbnail + 8

This is their first comfortable interaction with a sense of understanding. Hopefully more to come.

jyothirockz thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Love that their conversations are improving from hostile to civilized to acquaintances, may be friends next... I really hope that if their is any hidden truth of Shyam’s dual face, it comes out to both of them in a way bring them together..

Mimima thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 3

Loving it yaar,...

Both almost at the same level professionally,  trying to out do the other. 

This Shyam business is creepy....

Hope you update soon. ...

Please..😊