What is a web series ?

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 4 years ago

I am a bit confused. What exactly is a web series ? Can somebody please explain ? How are they different from TV shows. Are they exclusive to web ?  

Can Netflix Original shows be considered as web series ? 

Edited by Kartiki17 - 4 years ago

Web Series- Web series is also entertainment show of different genre broadcast on internet or on YouTube Premium/Netflix/Hulu/ALT Balaji/Zee5/Amazon Prime Video etc. Since it comes on web that’s why it is called web series. web series are very short. Length of one episode many be from 2 minutes to 30 minutes including commercial. Some web series are also long like TV series. Length may be 30 minutes to one hour.

TV series:- TV series is such show which broadcast a certain number of episode in a season on television. Again after a certain time period it appears on the TV screen with next level of story. It may be season -1,2,3,4, 5……….. so on. Generally, length of a TV series are 30 minutes or 1 hours including commercials.

That's the difference😳

Yes Netflix Original can be considered as Webseries. And They're exclusive to web

I think except duration, that too only to some extent, there is no difference between a web-series and a TV show. A TV show can be 'streamed' on the web while a web-series can be 'telecast' on TV.

For instance, If I am not wrong, House Of Cards was a Netflix web-series, but in India it was telecast on Zee Cafe. Similarly Netflix and other streaming platforms stream many TV show.  

@Leenaaa and @Surajhere. Thanks. Your explanations did clear things up.