Javed Akhtar: Priyanka Chopra's views were that of an Indian citizen

Shaitan-Haiwan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 4 years ago

Javed Akhtar defends Priyanka Chopra's views on Balakot airstrike: The fact remains she is an Indian

Priyanka Chopra has been accused of supporting a nuclear war between India and Pakistan when she came out in support of the Indian Air Force after the Balakot airstrike.

ADVERTISEMENT

India Today Web DeskNew DelhiAugust 22, 2019UPDATED: August 22, 2019 16:20 IST

Javed Akhtar said that Priyanka Chopra's views were that of an Indian citizen and if Pakistan had a problem, they could do whatever they wanted.

Javed Akhtar said that Priyanka Chopra's views were that of an Indian citizen and if Pakistan had a problem, they could do whatever they wanted.

Priyanka Chopra has been accused of supporting a "nuclear war" between India and Pakistan by the neighbouring country's human rights minister Shireen Mazari. In a letter addressed to the UNICEF chief Henrietta Fore, the minister demanded the removal of the actress as a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador.

Javed Akhtar defended Priyanka's support of the Indian Air Force after the airstrike on a major Jaish-e-Mohammad terror camp in Pakistan earlier this year, and said that her views were that of an Indian citizen.

"I know Priyanka Chopra personally. She is a cultured, decent and educated person and the fact remains she is an Indian. If there is some kind of a controversy and difference in point of view between an average Indian citizen (like Priyanka Chopra) and the Pakistani establishment, obviously her point of view will be an Indian point of view," the eminent lyricist told reporters at an event in Kolkata, reports PTI.

"If her comments have upset the Pakistani establishment, they can do whatever they wish," he added.

On February 26, hours after fighter jets of the Indian Air Force destroyed a major Jaish-e-Mohammad terror camp in Balakot, Priyanka lauded the Indian Air Force and tweeted, "Jai Hind." The airstrike was in retaliation to a deadly attack on a security convoy in Pulwama earlier that month, in which 40 soldiers were martyred.

PRIYANKAโœ”@priyankachopra

Jai Hind #IndianArmedForces ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ณ ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ

1:54 PM - Feb 26, 2019

10.3K people are talking about this

At the time, a petition originating in Pakistan sought the removal of Priyanka as a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador. "War between two nuclear powers can only lead to destruction and death. As goodwill ambassador of UNICEF, Priyanka Chopra was supposed to stay neutral and peaceful but her tweet in favour of the Indian armed forces after they invaded Pakistan's airspace shows otherwise. She doesn't deserve this title anymore," it read.

ADVERTISEMENT

The controversy resurfaced earlier this month, when at an event in Los Angeles, Priyanka was called a "hypocrite" by a woman of Pakistani origin for "encouraging nuclear war against Pakistan".

In the video that went viral on the internet, Ayesha Malik tells Priyanka, "It was kind of hard hearing you talk about humanity, because as your neighbour, a Pakistani, I know you are a bit of a hypocrite, because you tweeted on February 26, 'Jai Hind. #IndianArmedForces' You are a UNICEF ambassador for peace and you are encouraging nuclear war against Pakistan."

Priyanka responded by saying that though she was not in favour of war, she was patriotic. "Whenever you're done venting... Done? Okay, cool. War is not something I'm really fond of but I am patriotic, so I'm sorry if I hurt sentiments of people who do love me and have loved me. But I think that all of us have a, sort of, middle ground that we all have to walk. Just like you probably do as well. The way that you came at me right now... girl, don't yell. We're all here for love," she said.

Soon after the viral video, Pakistan human rights minister Shireen Mazari wrote to the UNICEF Executive Director, demanding that Priyanka's title as a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador be stripped.

"Her jingoism and support for violations by the Modi government of international conventions and UN Security Council resolutions on Kashmir, as well as support for war, including a nuclear war, undermines the credibility of the UN position to which she been elevated," the letter read.

"Unless she is removed immediately, the very idea of a UN goodwill ambassador for peace becomes a mockery globally," it added.

Shireen Mazariโœ”@ShireenMazari1

Sent letter to UNICEF chief regarding UN Goodwill Ambassador for Peace Ms Chopra

Edited by Shaitan-Haiwan - 4 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

NimbuMirchi thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Pehle woh Short dress blown out of proportion

And now this. 

PC is lucky. Log samne se aake Publicity uske jholi mein daal dete hai. ๐Ÿ˜†

Originally posted by: NimbuMirchi

Pehle woh Short dress blown out of proportion

And now this. 

PC is lucky. Log samne se aake Publicity uske jholi mein daal dete hai. ๐Ÿ˜†

I was saying the same thing when someone suggested that she should sue them for defamation...I was like, ulta she should be paying them or at the least send a thank you note for all the free ka publicity! ๐Ÿ˜†

Shaitan-Haiwan thumbnail

Originally posted by: cricketfan1

I was saying the same thing when someone suggested that she should sue them for defamation...I was like, ulta she should be paying them or at the least send a thank you note for all the free ka publicity! ๐Ÿ˜†

who knows, maybe Priyanka has orchestrated the whole thing? the girl loves attention and even got married for PR reasons. If someone can marry for brands sponsorship -they can do anything. 

Originally posted by: Shaitan-Haiwan

who knows, maybe Priyanka has orchestrated the whole thing? the girl loves attention and even got married for PR reasons. If someone can marry for brands sponsorship -they can do anything. 

You mean she hired an entire country? Quite possible!

Shaitan-Haiwan thumbnail

You mean she hired an entire country? Quite possible!

Sorry my mistake, I didnt realize that I have to type everything in spoonfeed  mode. Lets try this again - That girl that got up at the event and brought the issue could have easily been hired by Priyanka's team, she kinda looks like her team too . The the thing that started the whole thing.

Sorry my mistake, I didnt realize that I have to type everything in spoonfeed  mode. Lets try this again - That girl that got up at the event and brought the issue could have easily been hired by Priyanka's team, she kinda looks like her team too . The the thing that started the whole thing.

Spoonefeed mode: Priyanka may have hired that girl but how did an entire country get lead into it? Heck, they even have a government document issued against her....๐Ÿ˜†

Shaitan-Haiwan thumbnail

Spoonefeed mode: Priyanka may have hired that girl but how did an entire country get lead into it? Heck, they even have a government document issued against her....๐Ÿ˜†

Before that girl started venting nobody spoke about this issue or cared. That girl took a stand and it went viral. That girl became an icon overnight  - she embarrassed Priyanka and cornered her to the wall, Priyanka was stumped for once as she couldnt defend her actions. 

Only after that people have started issuing notices and illogical statements. 

BollyPC thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 8

Before that girl started venting nobody spoke about this issue or cared. That girl took a stand and it went viral. That girl became an icon overnight  - she embarrassed Priyanka and cornered her to the wall, Priyanka was stumped for once as she couldnt defend her actions. 

Only after that people have started issuing notices and illogical statements. 

Theyโ€™ve been begging Unicef to remove Priyanka since February when she tweeted Jai Hind and even then the petition had 100,000 signatures and there was outrage. Even though everyone said Jai Hind then they went after Priyanka because they want her removed from as Goodwill Ambassador. A whole country has been after her for months and yโ€™all want to make up conspiracy smh