Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 5 years ago

Originally posted by: Charaiveti

I do think it was not in any of the ancient scriptures. Mind my ignorance as an atheist I am not very well read about this but I don't think Geeta or manusmriti had sati in them? Though I do have other problems with manusmriti as a woman, sati isn't there right? 

But I do think religion gets interpreted n evolves, sometimes for good sometimes for bad. Stuff keeps getting added. An example, in Christian wedding , there's the removing garter ceremony that's very objectifying the woman n voyeuristic to many. But people still do due to it being a traditin. But in reality it was not even a tradition,but in midieval age people would often follow the bride groom to their room to see them consummate cz people were meddling,thus the groom started showing the garter as a proof of we did it to avoid those people coming in.

Thus traditions get added to culture, which might not trace back to totally ancient scriptures. But it was something the hindus did, maybe only in the eastern region if u say so I won't argue cz I don't know much about other regions history with sati. Also when stopped,the backlash from Hindu Bengalis was immense. Thus it is connected to Hinduism,cz it's such a vast religion, always evolving, always different at every part of India. 

Belief in God has nothing to do with either Ramayana or Mahabharata. Bhagvad Geeta is a part of Mahabharta Book 6, Bhishma Parva. It contains no mention of Sati. Regarding Manusmriti, I haven't read the complete text. But I hear it's the most abused ancient text and a favourite among Hindu bashers. Also, Manusmriti isn't the only smriti. Padma Purana mentions 36 smritis, half of them being major ones. Each one is said to be applicable in different Yugas. I don't think any of those smritis prescribe Sati. Moreover, it's notable that neither Buddha nor Mahavira talked about Sati.

I know social evils get attributed to religion, but I believe it's important to separate evil and outdated social practises from Hindu/Sanatana Dharma to have a clearer view. 

Lastly, I'd like to add that Dharma and religion are not the same thing. A religion is supposed to have an origin, a founder, and a common book allegedly approved by a common God to follow. Dharma, on the other hand, is universal and not restrained to a specific community. It is something that's meant to be learned, followed and practised. It's an inherent duty, a role you're supposed to play...unlike religion which is all about forcing duties and owes its existence to human beings.

Charaiveti thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Wistfulness

Belief in God has nothing to do with either Ramayana or Mahabharata. Bhagvad Geeta is a part of Mahabharta Book 6, Bhishma Parva. It contains no mention of Sati. Regarding Manusmriti, I haven't read the complete text. But I hear it's the most abused ancient text and a favourite among Hindu bashers. Also, Manusmriti isn't the only smriti. Padma Purana mentions 36 smritis, half of them being major ones. Each one is said to be applicable in different Yugas. I don't think any of those smritis prescribe Sati. Moreover, it's notable that neither Buddha nor Mahavira talked about Sati.

I know social evils get attributed to religion, but I believe it's important to separate evil and outdated social practises from Hindu/Sanatana Dharma to have a clearer view. 

Lastly, I'd like to add that Dharma and religion are not the same thing. A religion is supposed to have an origin, a founder, and a common book allegedly approved by a common God to follow. Dharma, on the other hand, is universal and not restrained to a specific community. It is something that's meant to be learned, followed and practised. It's an inherent duty, a role you're supposed to play...unlike religion which is all about forcing duties and owes its existence to human beings.

well I have seen many religious people around me adhere to Geeta as the prime book of Hinduism that's why I said so. It's the one that my mother reads while doing her daily puja too I guess.

Manusmriti as far as I know was more of a book of law than religion? I am not sure.

My pov on religion is same. There's misogynistic n homophobic stuff in each one I can't ignore n I just am not able to blv in it. I do think there must be some higher power but I also think we human may never totally find about it .  I do enjoy the cultural part n festivities though. Maybe I'm an agnoistic Hindu,bcz there's atheism in Hinduism

well I have seen many religious people around me adhere to Geeta as the prime book of Hinduism that's why I said so. It's the one that my mother reads while doing her daily puja too I guess.

Manusmriti as far as I know was more of a book of law than religion? I am not sure.

My pov on religion is same. There's misogynistic n homophobic stuff in each one I can't ignore n I just am not able to blv in it. I do think there must be some higher power but I also think we human may never totally find about it .  I do enjoy the cultural part n festivities though. Maybe I'm an agnoistic Hindu,bcz there's atheism in Hinduism

You were once propagating a never heard before story of hindu men cutting their women's forehead  with an axe to fill their maang with blood so as to prevent other men from eyeing her which was really fascinating. I wonder if it's this mohan Roy dude who is your source of knowledge regarding all things hinduism ? You seem to have full faith in him from your writings. 😆

Britishers supported Roy but opposed Bose, a national leader who was much more popular among masses than even Gandhi.

Why?

Payal is right wingers wannabe swarabhasker but I have no issues with her calling Roy a traitor. Maybe he was, maybe he wasnt...we dont know much...its good that it's up for discussion.

Charaiveti thumbnail

Originally posted by: Tinaa11

You were once propagating a never heard before story of hindu men cutting their women's forehead  with an axe to fill their maang with blood so as to prevent other men from eyeing her which was really fascinating. I wonder if it's this mohan Roy dude who is your source of knowledge regarding all things hinduism ? You seem to have full faith in him from your writings. 😆

I remember it vividly, I said it was a story my grandaunt told me ,and no I didn't say cutting their head with axe🤣 Noone survives that. I said giving a wound witha pointy small rock. I never claimed it was 100 percent true, everyone was speculating so I added what I've heard n then clearly said I don't know if it's true. 

Also I remember a very unhinged weird mid attacking me on that post with personal attack n all, similar like u,n then he got banned🤔 hmmmmmmm. 

Pretty weird of you to think I learnt stuff from someone who died centuries ago🤔do u talk to ghosts yourself.

Also do change your way if talking next time you post from a mid, otherwise what's the purpose,gives it all away

I remember it vividly, I said it was a story my grandaunt told me ,and no I didn't say cutting their head with axe🤣 Noone survives that. I said giving a wound witha pointy small rock. I never claimed it was 100 percent true, everyone was speculating so I added what I've heard n then clearly said I don't know if it's true. 

Also I remember a very unhinged weird mid attacking me on that post with personal attack n all, similar like u,n then he got banned🤔 hmmmmmmm. 

Pretty weird of you to think I learnt stuff from someone who died centuries ago🤔do u talk to ghosts yourself.

Also do change your way if talking next time you post from a mid, otherwise what's the purpose,gives it all away

I got so much knowlege about hinduism just by reading that story. I am sure a learned one like you wouldn't waste so much time n space had there been no authentic source. You raise the intellectual quotient to a level no one has ever seen or experienced , especially in this forum. You are to me what Roy dude is to you. Big fan...thankful to you for inspiring me to create new Id after the ban. Now please dont try to get rid of me by casting shades of doubts on my genuinity. I am as much a genuine member as your knowlege on roy and hinduism.

Charaiveti thumbnail

Originally posted by: Tinaa11

I got so much knowlege about hinduism just by reading that story. I am sure a learned one like you wouldn't waste so much time n space had there been no authentic source. You raise the intellectual quotient to a level no one has ever seen or experienced , especially in this forum. You are to me what Roy dude is to you. Big fan...thankful to you for inspiring me to create new Id after the ban. Now please dont try to get rid of me by casting shades of doubts on my genuinity. I am as much a genuine member as your knowlege on roy and hinduism.

😂I know who you are,n you are so very predictable. Carry on

Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Bhagvad Geeta is placed after the Vedas and Upanishads. But the 4 Vedas and 108 Upanishads are voluminous bodies of ancient Indian text and are too complex and vast for an individual. In contrast, the Geeta consists of 700 shlokas and has the wisdom of all Vedas and Upanishads. Plus it's easier to follow. That's why it's deemed the most sacred Hindu text.

Manusmriti is a book of laws, one of the many Hindu Dharma-Shastras.

Waise ibnbatutta,I dont think you will get the answer you are looking for. Inn bengaliyo ka I tellect sirf bhakt bashing tak hi limited hai. Aadha Bengal kho chuke hai, Baki bachakucha didi nipta rahi hai. Every day Bengal is in news for violence, lawlessness and illegal infiltration par yeh atheism wale yaha aake baki hinduataniyo ko din raat secularism aur atheism pe gyan pelte rehte hai. Jsise ki bangal ko inhone Switzerland bana diya hai par apne ideology se ....and Hindus/ Hinduism are taking the rest of the India backwards, lol

They definitely feel superior to the rest of Indians who are rooted in their culture/religion. I am sorry to sound rude but what's there to feel proud about being rootless, conused lot called atheists? What's so superior about not feeling the pride in who you are and where you come from or not showing loyalty to your parental or ancestral religion?😆infact these people are easy target for soul vultures and jihadists as most of them lack guts to take on theirviolent ideology. Ganfattus muh oothake aa jate hai jab hi duism ki baat aati hai toh.🤣

Sati was only prevalent in Bengal!

Silent sobs beneath her shrine of virtue

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sati: a medieval tragedy

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Only prevalent in Bengal!!

Image link

1)Rare eyewitness of Maharaja Ranjit Singh's funeral

2)‘Sati’ choice before Maharaja Ranjit’s Ranis

Sati pyre burning for 247 years in Orissa

Even in modern times, Sati ONLY PREVALENT IN BENGAL!!!!

Roop Kanwar's Sati greeted with shock.

Chattisgrah village celebrates Sati

Yes, Sati existed ONLY in Bengal and not any other part of the country! 🙃