CutiepieAD thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago
Saugandh Hai Song Video  ❀️

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m8lJVhH0j0[/YOUTUBE]
CutiepieAD thumbnail

Modi: Journey of a Common Man director Umesh Shukla: An honest attempt to show PM Narendra Modi's human side

Director Umesh Shukla reveals why he decided to tell the tale of the common man behind Prime Minister Narendra Modi through his Eros Now web series Modi: Journey of a Common Man.

While the release of Vivek Oberoi starrer biopic PM Narendra Modi has been postponed, Umesh Shukla's web series on the same subject started streaming on Wednesday. Titled Modi: Journey of a Common Man, the 10-episode series has Faisal Khan, Ashish Sharma and Mahesh Thakur playing different versions of the Indian prime minister.

Advertising

Filmmaker Umesh Shukla, who has films like OMG: Oh My God! and 102 Not Out to his credit, recently spoke exclusively to indianexpress.com about his web series.

Excerpts from the conversation:

Tell us more about the idea behind the Modi: Journey Of A Common Man.

It all started about a year back when I read the book Common Man's PM- Narendra Modi by Kishor Makwana. It was such an honest and wonderful read. While we started the process, I ended up having a conversation with Eros Now. And here we are with the web show. Mihir Bhuta and Radhika Anand have written the show. And I must tell you, we have not added any extra story. It's an honest attempt at showing the human side of the Prime Minister.

Advertising

While usually the powerful side of a politician is flaunted, what made you tell the story of his common man side?

I always felt that this side of the PM has never been seen or spoken about. I went to the tea stall at the railway station, where he worked as a young boy. Such a humble start he has had. Also, when we started speaking to people to understand his journey, we realised he has always been a spiritual person. He had the drive to know more about life and do something for others. Few stories that we learned about him are so heart-touching. I remember a tale where as a child, he chose to stay to help out others around him than go and celebrate his relative's wedding. Even when we hear stories from Steve Job's life, it's the human side that touches us. So why not tell the tale of the common man behind our PM.

Being a Gujarati, did it help you develop the show?

Of course, it did. I could relate to the story and it also came handy during the research. I met and interviewed his family. We even went to his school. For the series, we have spoken to around 80-90 people.

Why did you choose to have three actors play the PM's role?

We did not want to employ gimmicks. Using prosthetics on an actor to play different stages seemed an unsatisfactory proposition. Also, we would have to modulate the voices and take care of various other technicalities. We did not want to tamper with originality. All of us have these three stages in life and we felt it was only natural to cast three actors.

The web series was released just days before elections. There's a section of people who will tag it as a propaganda-driven project?

These things keep happening. When I made OMG, people abused me saying I was fighting against God. But it's okay. This is part and parcel of our profession. The show is my tribute to the man, the nation loves. And even if it's releasing before elections, what's wrong with that?

A film on the same subject is all set for release. Do you feel both will get pitted against each other?

They are both on very different platforms. This is a web show and that is a feature film. I wish them all the best. It has a lot of talented people involved it. Ours is a simple real story, that we want to tell to the audience.

Any plans to show the series to the PM?

With the elections just around the corner, I don't know how much time he has at the moment. But I hope one day he does see it. I would also be happy if he feels that we did justice to his story.

http://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/web-series/modi-journey-of-a-common-man-director-umesh-shukla-narendra-modi-5661582/

Edited by CutiepieAD - 5 years ago
CutiepieAD thumbnail

'Modi - Journey Of A Common Man' review: The web series idolises him, doesn't get propagandist

We all know about Prime Minister Narendra Modi's humble childhood as a tea seller, his rise to political glory via the spiritual route.

Published: 07th April 2019 07:40 PM  |   Last Updated: 07th April 2019 07:40 PM   |  A+A A-

A still from 'Modi - Journey Of A Common Man'. (Photo | YouTube Screengrab)

By IANS

A very thin line divides passion from propaganda. Films about figures we admire, specially the living ones, tend to lose their focus and blur the lines of objectivity as the maker is emotionally too close to the subject to give us a comprehensive picture of both the glory and flaws that constitute greatness.

To expect any kind of blemish in character to emerge in this biopic would be unrealistic. However, director Umesh Shukla and his writers Mihir Bhuta and Radhika Anand have attempted to give us a comprehensive, sincere and factual view of a life remarkably rich and mottled. This adherence to the straight and narrow path tends to make the narrative somewhat sluggish and tedious.

We all know about Prime Minister Narendra Modi's humble childhood as a tea seller, his rise to political glory via the spiritual route. The series gives us a fairly insightful look into the Modi saga, the Modi-fications, so to speak.

ALSO READ: Little worried, says Umesh Shukla on Narendra Modi web series coming under Election Commission radar

Shukla, a Gujarati, is obviously a Modi follower. He doesn't alow his evident hero-worship to get the better of his narrative. Shukla digs deep into Modi's self-philosophy. Through lengthy debates and monologues, which can be taxing for the non-believer, the series builds a convincing if not compelling construction depicting the phenomenal rise to power of a contemporary politician who defines a self-built legacy.

While the young actor Faisal Khan who plays the teenaged Narendra Modi passes muster, Ashish Sharma who plays the young adult version of Modi brings in plenty of credibility to his part. The supporting cast is shadowy and constantly eulogistic.

Little incidents and forgotten anecdotes from the PM's past are resurrected with warmth and sincerity. These may not interest the average web watcher who binge-watches "Sacred Games". But "Modi: Journey Of a Common Man" has a certain sincerity in its tone of narration. Though budgetary constraints tend to bog down the series' spiralling ambitions, the authentic Gujarati locations go a long way in ratifying Modi's long journey to statesmanship.

Even on the level of hagiography, this web series shows admirable restrain and a genuine faith in the politics of a national leader who wants to change the face of Indian politics.

Web series: Modi - Journey Of A Common Man on Eros Now 

Director: Umesh Shukla 

Cast: Ashish Sharma and Faisal Khan 

Rating: 3/5

(The views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in the article belong solely to film critic Subhash K Jha, and not necessarily to organization, committee or other group or individual.)

http://www.newindianexpress.com/entertainment/review/2019/apr/07/modi---journey-of-a-common-man-review-the-web-series-idolises-him-doesnt-get-propagandist-1961418.html

CutiepieAD thumbnail

Honest Review of Eros' web series on PM Modi

From a humble tea seller at Vadnagar in Gujarat to a rebellious activist during the Emergency, to leading the world's largest democracy, PM Narendra Damodardas Modi has seen it all. Famous filmmaker Umesh Shukla thought it better to pay a fitting tribute to the legendary personality of our incumbent PM, which is how Modi Journey of a Common Man' saw the light of the day.

Plot:

Based on Kishore Makwana's book Common Man's PM', the web series, divided into two seasons of 5 episodes each, tells the poignant tale of the making of PM Modi. Focusing mostly on the teenage years of PM Modi, as well as his stint during the dark days of the Emergency, the web series tells the journey of Narendra Modi from a humble tea seller to India's Prime Minister.

What's Good:

It is never easy to portray the life of an individual on screen. It becomes all the more difficult when the subject of your web series is the person, who is now the Prime Minister of India. However, Umesh Shukla, well known for flicks like OMG Oh My God', 102 Not Out' etc, has ensured that the web series doesn't only serve the purpose, but also ensure that the masses are thoroughly entertained.

One of the major risks that Umesh Shukla had taken was to not include any major star in his project. Mostly character actors, with a distinguished record, have been included in this project, and to our delight, none of them have disappointed us in their respective roles.

What's Awesome:

One of the brilliant things about this web series is the subtle, but profound attention to some of the most crucial teachings of our shastras. Often our native culture and our literature, including the shastras have been looked down upon. However, in the web series Modi', the very shastras have been pondered upon in a simple, yet remarkable way. From holy mantras, to pure Hindi without the unnecessary adulteration of Urdu, you name it and they have it.

Also, Ashish Sharma and Faisal Khan should take a bow for essaying the role of Narendra Modi with such eloquence. Often we've seen that in portraying the principal characters, the actors either go to the extent of lionizing their roles, or completely underwhelming the importance of the role in hand. However, there is nothing of that sort with the two actors playing the role of teenage Modi and adult Modi. Although Faisal has some rather cheesy moments, his performance is intense, as well as engaging.

Interestingly, the major focus of the first season is how PM Modi developed his instincts during the days of Emergency. While flicks like Indu Sarkar have failed to do justice to the subject, the web series has paid significant attention to how the Emergency affected the Indians as a whole, even though there was no mention of Indira Gandhi or her cronies, who called the shots during the period. Even when Modi was seen working in the relief camps at the site of a calamity, attention was paid to every single detail, which shows how much the makers cared for historical accuracy.

Makarand Deshpande in the role of Laxmanrao Inamdar aka Vakil sahib, has shocked one and all with his effortless dedication to the role (He even trimmed his trademark bushy hair and shaved off his moustache). Jimit Trivedi as Som Modi has shown promise, while actors like Darshan Jariwala & Prachi Shah as Modi's parents have done justice to their respective roles.

What could've been better:

However, there were a few things that denied the web series on Modi the status of a masterpiece. The special effects were rudimentary, to say the least. Some of the scenes, including the moment when Narendra Modi distributes anti Emergency pamphlets, looks quite weird and badly placed.

However, despite the noticeable flaws, Modi The Journey of a Common Man' is a sweet journey that leaves you wanting for more. It should be not missed at any cost. I'd go with an honest 3.5 out of 5 stars. We hope that the second segment is even more interesting.

http://rightlog.in/2019/04/pm-modi-web-series-01/

Thushi thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Wish i was more active ... super lazy nd nowadays doesnt feel lyk cuming to IF πŸ˜†

Can I appreciat Eros .. after seeing SP ji nd nd espl my spl luv sony dear πŸ€’πŸ˜† was happy to c Ashu show being promoted well .. πŸ˜†

nd nd as usual powerful fans wishes getting fulfilled by eros ji too .. We got MV just the day I was talking abt expected a MV nd we got it πŸ€£  

Now cuming to WS .. I m glad Ashu choosed this as his digital debute (though he has already done few SF but this is his first WS ) 

When we got news I had no idea i would luv the show this much ... not a fan of modi .. dont even knw abt him .. so for me this is just an another Ashu show nd lyk we always start becuz of him watched for him nd luved ittt .. best part is there r no unneccessry scene at leastt for me i think  .. nd lyk partu pointed in TT  the show revolve around Modi only .. his presence ...  he is in every scene be it the younger part or Ashu part πŸ˜²

. And Ashuuu wat can i say as usual was phenomenal in those 5 epis we got ... he is nailing every bit .. i saw lyk only 2/ 3 clips of modi nd  he is luking lyk modi only his body language the way he talks  ... only he can do ...  I m also luving Modi nd his friend .. nd the Vakil Saab scene πŸ˜›  In sum of the scenes he is sooo cutuu .. that dancing part the scene of Vakil saab nd Modi .. the one wid kids ..  to be frank wish we got one epi per day it so we could dicuss everything in detail .. 

apart from Ashu I m luving the cast too .. all of them r gud in their part espl faisal is cutu as young modi .. nd luking lyk school boy in those school scenes .. his scene wid his teachers πŸ˜†  and wid his bro make me want sum scene of AShus Modis nd his bro :(  

Wat can I say more .. another great show from ashu for us wid sum fab acting direction .. The Promos, MV & the show is filled wid Ashu ... totally Ashufied .. πŸ˜³

SO BGM master following Ashu or did they borrow SKR bgm ... always sum or other thing following Ashuu πŸ˜†.. Suprisingly Nag Saab spared me πŸ˜²πŸ˜†  

And  man the pressmeet &  screeening β€οΈ How gud Ashu luked πŸ˜³ but cheating no solo pics from him πŸ˜‘πŸ˜† 

I luved all the seg .. glad we got Ashu Faisal too .. I espl luved restau... so cutuu it was .. nd the selfie we got of them  They luked lyk two bros #AshFa πŸ˜³

Edited by Thushi - 5 years ago
CutiepieAD thumbnail

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5BQTEqn8AM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ORS2Oqx9QY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEu-bKRubhk[/YOUTUBE]

CutiepieAD thumbnail
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHMc86RQ9EQ[/YOUTUBE]