Not exactly related to the show!

couchyC thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't know, if I'm even allowed to make a topic on something which isn't completely and directly related to the show, but, I think, this is the best platform to ask this question.

So, the question is, why do you all watch Indian TV shows? It's not a surprising fact that, Indian shows lack immensely in terms of quality. They're highly illogical and over the top dramatic. Usually aimed at housewives who can watch these shows while doing household chores. But, on India forums, there are many working people and students too. So, why do you all watch these shows, when there are many other great shows with quality content and based on reality are available online? Like, Foreign shows on netflix, Indian web series, etc.

Is it due to 'romance'? I have watched some 1 or 2 Indian TV shows and I watched them solely for the romance. Both were where the leads fall in love after the marriage and I like that kind of romance; 'unexpected'. One was with a significant age gap between the leads, which again, I have a thing for. And, I can hardly find such romance, i.e, 'unexpected' anywhere else. Yes, there are also some korean, turkish, etc shows and they aren't great too but, much better than the Indian shows. So, I do watch them sometimes to satiate my romantic fantasies. But there were hardly days when I did not cringe while watching Indian shows. One was 'Bade acche lagte hain' and the other one is currently on air, ' Guddan tumse na ho payega'. So, I watched BALH because, it started off well and appeared like a fresh mature story and my parents used to watch it initially. Also, I was 13 or 14, and hopelessly romantic at that time and balh wasn't that bad and illogical. As in, it was still bearable. So, that was the reason, I watched it. And, I came across GTNHP accidentally and liked the concept of people from two different generations forced in a marriage. So, thought of giving it a chance. Though, I think, I'll soon discontinue it. 

So, I'm genuinely curious as to why people watch Indian shows when there are so many great shows available online? If it's only to satiate the romantic fantasies, there are again many better shows in the romance genre, available online. So, why do people still continue to watch such shows? Because, the audience watch such shows and give the makers great TRPs, they make such shows. That is why, good quality content with a mature storyline and real, relatable characters are not produced on Indian TV as people are happy watching those kind of shows and giving them TRPs. So, even when  Indian makers try to come up with a good show, audience fails them. We had good shows in 90s but since then, Indian TV is only deteriorating and if this continues, the Indian TV scenario will never change. 

So, a genuine question, why do you watch these shows? (Again, I asked this question here, as I think, this is the best platform to ask it.)
Edited by couchyC - 5 years ago