Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sea-Hawk thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago

Originally posted by: arshi_asya

Were people going to get their daughters get married to an 11 years old because of a show called "Pehredaar Piya ki". NO. But still it was openly criticized by prominent TV actors for that storyline & even Smriti Irani jumped in to shut down that show. (I didn't like it anyway)

The argument there was that the show was giving wrong message, promoting stupidity. Then why not apply the same arguments here as well. Just because people aren't learning anything from this show doesn't mean it can't be criticized for the Heavenly intervention in EMAs. Affairs are not God's  interventions, they are scandals as stated everywhere, even in Hollywood. Shouldn't that be pointed out?

So, what't the point of this argument? 

Wait it was about child marriage that too with an adult person. This is about two consenting adults .. sure, it is EMA and it is cheating. But, it is nowhere near what PPK was showing. That's a crime Indian government is trying to end for so many years. EMA doesn't matter how bad it sounds, many classic novels are written on it because it is about love at the end of the day. (Including India's most celebrated love saga ever which is an EMA as well that too with a relative's wife) Not socially approved and of course forbidden one but that doesn't make it a crime. Not supporting cheating but you can't actually compare a person involved in EMA with a pedophile. 
Edited by Sea-Hawk - 5 years ago
arshi_asya thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: g.sreedurga

Perfect!!

If one says it's glorifying bad and giving a stupid message, it doesn't mean he/she is going to follow it's footsteps and cheat their partners.

You preach or give an immoral message, you get slammed for that. As simple as that.

I think that's the fault/responsibility of makers who are trying to show a story. Actors shouldn't be brought personally since they really can't do much. As far as the characters are concerned, I think they can be criticized since makers are trying to say story through them.

This show was fine until they were trying to show an EMA, but he heavenly interventions- A big NO. Keep it real.
TheRowdiest thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Terenaina

I was reading a comment saying that this show will break up relationships. If you have a partner that'll cheat because what they saw in a show then I'm sorry you picked a dumb partner or someone who was going to cheat anyway so don't blame the actor or the show.

Ditto Naina ... OMG, I have almost said the same yesterday after reading few dumb comments on insta

the way people are hating this show , some are considering it worst than a crime , they have no issues with shows based on Rape , murders but have so much problem with this show . now people have started bashing Drashti and Shakti for playing these roles as if they are real life Kunal and Nandani  . Do they bash movie villains for playing bad characters ? did they bash Abhinav for playing abusive husband ? 

i was wondering why so much hate for this subject, why people are getting so touchy with this subject when it happens in our real lives . so often we see people cheat on in our real lives , people marry their wives's best friends , sister in laws and what not . 

I think people are so touchy because they are insecure in their real lives . they don't want to face this problem , don't even want to see it in a tv show and want to live in their perfect la la land. May be this show reminds them that their husbands can cheat on them or as you said they will start cheating after watching this show . 

so its their own real life insecurities and they are venting out on a show .

by closing our eyes , problems in our lives won't go away . By bashing a show , this cheating issue from the society won't get solved . 

kiransgirl thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sea-Hawk

Wait it was about child marriage that too with an adult person. This is about two consenting adults .. sure, it is EMA and it is cheating. But, it is nowhere near what PPK was showing. That's a crime Indian government is trying to end for so many years. EMA doesn't matter how bad it sounds, many classic novels are written on it because it is about love at the end of the day. Not socially approved and forbidden one but that doesn't make it a crime. You can't actually compare a person involved in EMA with a pedophile. 

I think the argument is not because we are watching the show and criticizing what we see as glorification of an extramarital affair means it influences our daily lives. The example given about the 11year old being married was that people saw it and criticized not because they were afraid their 11 year olds would somehow get married off but the concept was just bad and it projected the wrong message.
I am personally NOT afraid that my watching this show will somehow create cheating in my real life. I just don't want it be me construed as being ok. I don't approve. I don't believe glorification of an extramarital affair is ok. 
By the way, my boyfriend laughs that I watch this stuff. He's only into sports so he shakes his head and thinks its silly. My personal reaction to this show is I know someone who was cheated on and I learned a lot from her experience. For example, my boyfriend is a happy person. Happy with himself. He does not look outward to make him happy. He feels good about himself. The same for me. I think people who look outward for happiness is never content and therefore more apt to cheat.

arshi_asya thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sea-Hawk

Wait it was about child marriage that too with an adult person. This is about two consenting adults .. sure, it is EMA and it is cheating. But, it is nowhere near what PPK was showing. That's a crime Indian government is trying to end for so many years. EMA doesn't matter how bad it sounds, many classic novels are written on it because it is about love at the end of the day. (Including India's most celebrated love saga ever which is an EMA as well that too with a relative's wife) Not socially approved and of course forbidden one but that doesn't make it a crime. Not supporting cheating but you can't actually compare a person involved in EMA with a pedophile. 

Few things first, Pedophile is a person who is sexually attracted to a child. That show wasn't based on that. Marriage was not done because of sexual attraction. It was not Lolita based. It was some twisted thought of protecting the child by getting him married in that show.

No one is saying that show was showing a great storyline. (It came again with modifications & everyone was fine with it). But the  underlying question remains that the wrong is wrong & it has to be pointed out. 

EMAs are raw, hard-hitting real. There shouldn't be no wrapping in nice jumbo-mumbo to cater to audience. Nishabd, KANK, so many Pakistani shows are based on EMA, just keep it real, raw & leave it to audience to grasp it on their own. And yes, in IPC, EMAs/ adultery is crime till now.
TheRowdiest thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Were people going to get their daughters get married to an 11 years old because of a show called "Pehredaar Piya ki". NO. But still it was openly criticized by prominent TV actors for that storyline & even Smriti Irani jumped in to shut down that show. (I didn't like it anyway)

The argument there was that the show was giving wrong message, promoting stupidity. Then why not apply the same arguments here as well. Just because people aren't learning anything from this show doesn't mean it can't be criticized for the Heavenly intervention in EMAs. Affairs are not God's  interventions, they are scandals as stated everywhere, even in Hollywood. Shouldn't that be pointed out?

So, what't the point of this argument? 

u have mentioned Smriti Irani so yaad aaya ...she got married to her best friend's husband who left his wife for Smriti ðŸ˜‰

anyways ... clearly you are not getting the issue. Don't compare oranges with apples . this show is about adults . Good, bad , ethical , unethical can be discussed but Pehredaar was about a kid romancing an adult , even though that was also debatable , issue got over hyped , but that case was different, don't use it to justify your issues with this subject . 

Cheating happen in our every day life around us . i can give you so many examples of many people around me . but i don't wanna bore people because I am sure everyone see such things around them . 

didn't Salman's character cheat on his wife in biwi no 1 ? didn't Anil Kapoor's character cheat on Raveena's character with Rambha in Gharwali Baharwali movie and had a kid too and none was ever shown bad in that movie . shows like Hasratein and Saans ... this subject has always been there, its just that now days audience has become regressive and don't wanna face the reality .  
g.sreedurga thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

I think that's the fault/responsibility of makers who are trying to show a story. Actors shouldn't be brought personally since they really can't do much. As far as the characters are concerned, I think they can be criticized since makers are trying to say story through them.

This show was fine until they were trying to show an EMA, but he heavenly interventions- A big NO. Keep it real.

I'm referring to makers obviously not actors at all. Where did I bring actors personally? I am slamming makers because they're 'glorifying' it. Had they shown it real, it would just be a narrative not an immoral message.
arshi_asya thumbnail

Originally posted by: TheRowdiest

u have mentioned Smriti Irani so yaad aaya ...she got married to her best friend's husband who left his wife for Smriti ðŸ˜‰

anyways ... clearly you are not getting the issue. Don't compare oranges with apples . this show is about adults . Good, bad , ethical , unethical can be discussed but Pehredaar was about a kid romancing an adult , even though that was also debatable , issue got over hyped , but that case was different, don't use it to justify your issues with this subject . 

Cheating happen in our every day life around us . i can give you so many examples of many people around me . but i don't wanna bore people because I am sure everyone see such things around them . 

didn't Salman's character cheat on his wife in biwi no 1 ? didn't Anil Kapoor's character cheat on Raveena's character with Rambha in Gharwali Baharwali movie and had a kid too and none was ever shown bad in that movie . shows like Hasratein and Saans ... this subject has always been there, its just that now days audience has become regressive and don't wanna face the reality .  

Well the marriage promo seemed like it was about kid romancing the adult. But there was no romance & it wasn't even about romance since I caught the first few episodes of that show.

Balika Vadhu revolved around child marriage only where child marriage was shown as an evil. I don't think anyone got motivated for the child marriage.

When that show again showed Anandi's infant daughter getting married to a grown up man in the show, I don't remember the same uproar happening because of that. It was welcomed since it was showing it as an evil, Right?  But few years later, the uproar was so huge for this particular show PPK which was trying to show child marriage as some good thing to protect children. (which was right on part of the audience to protest, the whole attempt was repulsive by makers).

Saying it again, EMA isn't a problem in this show, the way it was executed in such horrible ways with such dialogues & background music is the major problem most of people in forum have talked about. The script was so rushed to where it is now, otherwise this could have gone for many days in the show. Saying it again, EMA here wasn't shown as wrong until now with bringing of Heavenly intervention & Noor-e-khuda song. 

Biwi No 1, and other movies were comedy and those eventually showed the hero coming back to their wives. 

They weren't serious take on EMA like Nishabd, KANK. Silsila is a supposed to be a serious take on EMA to provide hard-hitting, raw content without mumbo-jumbo.

The genre of the show & that execution makes the whole difference.

And even in the most progressive societies of the world, EMA is portrayed as a scandal even now. How is that about regressive, since people still don't get that EMAs are common, face this reality & frown upon that. Something that has common happening, doesn't make it progressive by its occurrence.
Edited by arshi_asya - 5 years ago
arshi_asya thumbnail

Originally posted by: g.sreedurga

I'm referring to makers obviously not actors at all. Where did I bring actors personally? I am slamming makers because they're 'glorifying' it. Had they shown it real, it would just be a narrative not an immoral message.

Chill sweet heart. It's the makers. There was another post about actors going on my head, so it came out here. Sincere apologies for that. No, you didn't mention the actors, my diverted attention brought them up. ðŸ˜Š
kiransgirl thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: TheRowdiest

Your assumption about the audience is quite amusing. I AM in the audience and I don't think of myself as regressive at all. I live in the US, so this topic of extramarital affairs is treated at great length. Nor do I live in some fantasy world, as If I don't  have a real life. ðŸ˜• I do. That doesn't mean because it is a common place occurrence that I approve of it. I do not. I will criticize it as long and as loud as I want. I don't care if everyone wraps it in a bow and present it as sacred, I will label it as disgusting and not to be sanctioned. Clearly, the point of the oringal post was to draw some skewed correlation between opponets of this travesty of EMA as being insecure about our partners cheating. I really think it is unwise to attribute any personal intentions/characteristics to any anonymous person online. I am pretty sure that not because people oppose EMA, they are insecure and fear their partners will cheat. We do it because it is immoral. NO other reason.