Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

old_charm thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago
oh yess Aunty , PB was way better !

i think that way porus would be ending soon even before completing the planned no. of episodes .

Originally posted by: sashashyam

It does not seem likely, my dear Manasi. 

The Sony fiction shows always have poor TRPs, and seen  against this track record, the Porus TRPs are not bad. I suppose that because of the heavy costs, the channel  is not able to recoup its cost from the ads, and they are pulling the plug on the show. They did the same thing to the superb Peshwa Bajirao, which, except for the splendid Alexander here, was far better -  in terms of the script, the respect paid to history and the performances of the ensemble cast - than Porus,

Shyamala Aunty

inlieu thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
I'm going to look at the "bright" side and say that if indeed the show is ending soon, at least Rohit will be out of this fiasco and free to work on other good projects.
His last show also had a rushed ending, though much better than what's happening in Porus so I hope he will stay off historicals for a bit. 

Regardless of the ending or the outcome of the PH's decision, Rohit should be proud of his outstanding work throughout this show. There was not a single episode, scene, or millisecond where his performance was anything less than perfect.
Edited by inlieu - 5 years ago
sashashyam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Low TRPs for a low cost saas bahu serial would  be acceptable for Sony. Not for a high priced production like Porus, for which they would have had to shell out a  lot more than usual. 

When the TRPs and the ad rates fall, Sony will start losing money. No channel is  going to go on losing money on a show just because it is a finite, historical serial (though it is stretching a point to call Porus a historical😆). You wouldn't  like that if you were the Sony head honcho. It is, in the final analysis, a business, and a business is always about profits.

So Sony would want Swastik to cut their rates. Swastik would then  have to cut the production costs. Instead of that, they seem to have decided to cut down on the  show itself!

Shyamala Aunty

Originally posted by: taherav

And I have never understood this 😕 Sony seems to be in a low TRP rut all the time...I can understand if channels want to cancel fiction shows which have an unlimited number of episodes and are not garnering enough viewership but when it comes to historical shows, they could take a step back and let things run it course and not influence their decisions based on TRPs 😔

My dear girl, 

I don't think you quite understand how this works. 

A show is sold to the channel, with or without the intellectual property rights. In the case of Porus, as a first, it was without IP, because the production house footed the whole production cost,

Still, because of the heavy (alleged, at least) production cost, the producers, Swastik, must have charged Sony a lot more than usual even for a historical. Where will the channel recoup this cost from,  and then make its profit?

From the ads, The rates for the ads depend directly on the TRPs. See the link now? It is more like an iron chain!

If the TRPs are low, the advertisers will not pay top rates. As the TRPs fall, so do   the ad rates, At some point, the channel begins to lose money, and then pulls the plug on the show. I suspect this is what has happened to poor Porus. 

Shyamala Aunty

Edited by sashashyam - 5 years ago
sashashyam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
I would second that unreservedly, my dear. It was a great piece of luck for me having got to see him perform, for  I do not watch much TV. 

He is a superlative performer who gladdened my heart in every single scene. And no matter that the show might now collapse, he has been showcased very well, in extremely well scripted  scenes, and photographed to perfection. These are not negligible pluses  for him. Porus must, as you had noted elsewhere  have got him a whole new fan following.

God bless the boy and make him super successful!

Shyamala Aunty. 

Originally posted by: inlieu

I'm going to look at the "bright" side and say that if indeed the show is ending soon, at least Rohit will be out of this fiasco and free to work on other good projects.

His last show also had a rushed ending, though much better than what's happening in Porus so I hope he will stay off historicals for a bit. 

Regardless of the ending or the outcome of the PH's decision, Rohit should be proud of his outstanding work throughout this show. There was not a single episode, scene, or millisecond where his performance was anything less than perfect.

inlieu thumbnail
That's so true!
The camera loved him, as did the writers. There was never a dialogue or piece of action which I felt was overdone, cheesy, or out of place. It really has been quality over quantity the whole time he has been on screen. The other artiste I discovered through Porus is Sameksha - I love her portrayal of Olympias. 

During the show's launch event Rohit mentioned that Sid T had asked him to be 'selfish' about this role. I think I now know what he meant. 

He wanted Rohit to give it all in his portrayal of Alexander, think of nothing but himself and his character, and make his mark during whatever screen time he got, and boy did Rohit deliver on that! 👏

I would second that unreservedly, my dear. It was a great piece of luck for me having got to see him perform, for  I do not watch much TV. 

He is a superlative performer who gladdened my heart in every single scene. And no matter that the show might now collapse, he has been showcased very well, in extremely well scripted  scenes, and photographed to perfection. These are not negligible pluses  for him. Porus must, as you had noted elsewhere  have got him a whole new fan following.

God bless the boy and make him super successful!

Shyamala Aunty. 

Melkor thumbnail
Hearing all the compliments about Rohit makes my chest inflate with pride❤️He is one of the finest actors and performers in this industry though terribly underrated.His sheer talent and sincerity is evident in his highly nuanced performance.
I sincerely believe that everything happens for a purpose.Porus played it's part in bringing Rohit into the limelight.I hope this opens the door of several other opportunities for him and he gets his much due success and recognition and soars higher than ever.
It's high time this industry realises what a gem it has got.

I hope Laksh recovers from his injuries completely.As someone who has witnessed his growth from a non actor to a really good actor I feel happy for him.His improvement is tremendous.The boy is only 22 and he has a long way to go.He is far from perfect but he is doing really well and has the potential to do better.

Rati was an amazing actress and will always be and this show has made me realise what a brilliant performer Sameksha is.Long back when I was watching Arjun,I had no idea that the actress playing Arjun's sweet wife Roshni is actually a powerhouse of talent⭐️
I hope both the ladies bag lead roles and not get typecast.

The sweet Suhani has improved a lot too since MB days.I hope she keeps on working and possibly gets paired opp Laksh in another show.A contemporary love story would do.Ironically in their first show together they couldn't end up with each other coz he was the hero and she was the vamp and in this one even though they will end up together their romance couldn't be shown properly.They say the third one is the charm so fingers crossed.

I wish all the best to the rest of the cast and the crew too.Especially the guy who plays Ambhikumar.😳😆

P.S.Does this sound like a farewell post as if today was the last episode?😆
inlieu thumbnail
@bold, I agree 200%.

I am consoling myself by thinking of this show as a stepping stone for Rohit to open his eyes up to more opportunities, and look beyond Swastik too. Besides, if this PH is having financial troubles, I don't think they will come back with a massive show like this for a while. Rohit says he always wants to do bigger and better projects each time, so he should try to look elsewhere and at different genres. There is some good stuff coming out nowadays. He always gets offers and after this show I expect him to be inundated. 😃 

Originally posted by: LawlessLawyer

Hearing all the compliments about Rohit makes my chest inflate with pride❤️He is one of the finest actors and performers in this industry though terribly underrated.His sheer talent and sincerity is evident in his highly nuanced performance.

I sincerely believe that everything happens for a purpose.Porus played it's part in bringing Rohit into the limelight.I hope this opens the door of several other opportunities for him and he gets his much due success and recognition and soars higher than ever.
It's high time this industry realises what a gem it has got.

I hope Laksh recovers from his injuries completely.As someone who has witnessed his growth from a non actor to a really good actor I feel happy for him.His improvement is tremendous.The boy is only 22 and he has a long way to go.He is far from perfect but he is doing really well and has the potential to do better.

Rati was an amazing actress and will always be and this show has made me realise what a brilliant performer Sameksha is.Long back when I was watching Arjun,I had no idea that the actress playing Arjun's sweet wife Roshni is actually a powerhouse of talent⭐️
I hope both the ladies bag lead roles and not get typecast.

The sweet Suhani has improved a lot too since MB days.I hope she keeps on working and possibly gets paired opp Laksh in another show.A contemporary love story would do.Ironically in their first show together they couldn't end up with each other coz he was the hero and she was the vamp and in this one even though they will end up together their romance couldn't be shown properly.They say the third one is the charm so fingers crossed.

I wish all the best to the rest of the cast and the crew too.Especially the guy who plays Ambhikumar.😳😆

P.S.Does this sound like a farewell post as if today was the last episode?😆

taherav thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: inlieu

@bold, I agree 200%.

I am consoling myself by thinking of this show as a stepping stone for Rohit to open his eyes up to more opportunities, and look beyond Swastik too. Besides, if this PH is having financial troubles, I don't think they will come back with a massive show like this for a while. Rohit says he always wants to do bigger and better projects each time, so he should try to look elsewhere and at different genres. There is some good stuff coming out nowadays. He always gets offers and after this show I expect him to be inundated. 😃 

Rohit should start looking out for other big production houses and channels beside Sony TV. I am not a fan of Ekta Kapoor brand of shows but heck, I would not mind him doing an Ekta Kapoor show as well...the lady knows how to give solid exposure to her lead actors when it comes to a popularity contest!
taherav thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Low TRPs for a low cost saas bahu serial would  be acceptable for Sony. Not for a high priced production like Porus, for which they would have had to shell out a  lot more than usual. 

When the TRPs and the ad rates fall, Sony will start losing money. No channel is  going to go on losing money on a show just because it is a finite, historical serial (though it is stretching a point to call Porus a historical😆). You wouldn't  like that if you were the Sony head honcho. It is, in the final analysis, a business, and a business is always about profits.

So Sony would want Swastik to cut their rates. Swastik would then  have to cut the production costs. Instead of that, they seem to have decided to cut down on the  show itself!

Shyamala Aunty

I feel bad for all those international broadcasting agencies who have bought the rights to air this show in their respective countries...they have been majorly duped!
inlieu thumbnail
I agree with what you aside about Ekta! Also, being a rich lady, she can afford lavish spending on promoting her leads. 😆
Not sure Rohit will be able to commit to roles that are not well sketched, as is usually the case with Ekta's shows. Not that I would mind Rohit playing a rich businessman and ladies' man. I am sure he will ace any role. 

As for releasing this show in other countries, especially where the title has been changed to Alexander, people are going to wonder what on earth is going on. Perhaps they will edit out some of the PR scenes to make it more evenly balanced? It will take nothing away from their story if they do. 😆

Originally posted by: taherav

I feel bad for all those international broadcasting agencies who have bought the rights to air this show in their respective countries...they have been majorly duped!

Edited by inlieu - 5 years ago