Didn't understand the term nepotism first, says Bobby Deol

Just_Say_Cheese thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago

Bobby Deol is playing a character with negative shade in Race 3.

Actor Bobby Deol started his second innings in Bollywood with Poster Boys, and now he is all set to make a mark with Race 3. In a conversation with film critic Anupama Chopra for Film Companion, he talked about the life when he became alcoholic and didn't have much work to do.

Bobby said, "When I started my career, it was more like a traditional way of working in cinema. When I came to the industry, it was changing. The work used to come to me rather than me going and asking for work. Then things slowed down because I wouldn't do this. Others got the roles I could have got.

He is back to limelight now, but doesn't want the word nepotism attached to his name. He said, "I got Yamla Pagla Deewana 3, but I wanted to get out of the whole thing that I am working with my brother and dad, because people have started using this new term, nepotism, which I didn't understand first.

His kids and wife were his support during the lean phase. He broke down while narrating his experiences. "I wanted them to not look at me and say he is a loser. I didn't want my kids to look at me and say he has given up. I want to be their inspiration as my father is to me. That's most important thing for me and my wife who believes so much in me.

The trailer of Race 3 shows him shirtless with Salman Khan, but Bobby says he is a shy person in real life. He said, "When I was working with Ramesh Ji in Soldier, they wanted me to go shirtless. I didn't understand the logic, why should I go shirtless?

"I never thought myself as a star. I want people to love me as much as they love my father. I never realised it, but it's never too late, adds Bobby.

He seems ready for a changed Bollywood. "Nowadays it has become a full package thing. An actor has to dance, needs a great physique, all those things. I am just trying to live a healthy lifestyle basically, said Bobby.

Race 3 will hit the screens on June 15, 2018.