Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

SuzanneH thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago

Originally posted by: jasleen77

You know, it's really funny to see your perspective on this because I've honestly never paid too much attention to the gestures that they use. I guess that comes from the fact that I've always just seen people around me use gestures while talking, and I use them a lot too. But you being so excited about them... i guess it's just new. Also, what channel do you watch Bepannaah on?

I watch Bepannaah on YuppTV which is an online website.  I initially subscribed to it because I watch Zee TV on the actual TV and they have a frustrating practice of deleting some scenes from what is being aired in India.  So often the scenes were crucial to the main characters!  Argh!  I learned when I was on one of the Zee forums that other members from USA, UK and Caribbean also had deleted scenes so I think it must be the distribution to other countries.

So I would watch the show on TV and then go to another online site which showed the whole episode and watch the scenes that were deleted on TV but they were in Hindi (no subtitles) so I couldn't understand what was being said but at least I could see what I had missed.  I even emailed them and asked why was it that the air time was the same in India and Canada but they deleted some scenes but they insisted that they didn't delete scenes!  Um...yes there are definitely deleted scenes.  

I had hoped that YuppTV would show the same programs without deleted scenes but unfortunately they did as well.  Their package offered other channels and movies and I came across Colors and the promo for Bepannaah before it aired and I was totally intrigued.  So here I am.   I haven't checked if Colors on Yupp TV has deleted scenes or not as I would have to find an online site that showed it in its entirety.

I realize I could have answered you in one sentence, but I think I went with the whole ambience of the answer ๐Ÿ˜‰ .

SuzanneH thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago

Originally posted by: coolgal270

Hi Suzanne! Welcome to the forum!!
Its great to have a person from different culture watching the show...you might pick up on nuances which we could miss! Loved your post and you described the essence beautifully!!๐Ÿ‘

@bold: had me in splits...our Indian shows tend to get a bit dramatic๐Ÿ˜† you will surely see more of these mysterious happenings as you go along!!

I am Sumi, btw!!

PS: if you any problem in understanding any parts of the epi because of hindi, you are most welcome to ping me...will tell you if I know it๐Ÿ˜†

Hi Sumi, so sorry for the delay in my response as I've been swamped with work.  Thanks for your future help!

Another thing I've noticed is the amount of affection and respect the characters have for each other.  Part of your culture (or at least on these shows) is to address those who are older as aunty or uncle, and you touch their feet seeking blessings which is respectful and it gives a sense of treating everyone like family. 

It's more common for females to show affection to each other even in North American shows and in real life but I found the males in these shows are very demonstrative with each other, especially if they portray brothers.   When they hug each other, they hold their hugs longer as they're talking to each other or the sides of their heads touch each other when they hug, or they touch each other's faces etc.  all things that are not that prevalent in North American shows.   Even in real life here, if two guys are going to hug each other it's more of a quick motion, bump each other's chests and a hard slap on the back and break away.

I saw it as well on a Zee TV awards night where some of the actors were showing that same touchy affection with each other, which showed that they were like this in real life too!  They genuinely care for each other.  It's just refreshing to see.

I was in a department store the other day and a group of five Indian guys, probably 19-21 yrs old, came in to the make-up dept. Two of the guys walked with the sales clerk and the other three stood next to me and one of them said, "What are we doing in the cosmetics department, anyway?"  The other friend told him that their buddy needed some kind of pencil to fill in his beard better!  Oh my word, I had to laugh which drew the attention of these 3 guys who then started laughing as well and started nudging each other!  Again, the affection is endearing.   ๐Ÿ˜Š