This is not a love story but a story about love

Posted: 5 years ago

Earlier on, one of the members of the forum (I'm sorry I can't remember who it was)  uploaded a promo video of the show which aired prior to the show starting.  The producer was on stage with the four main characters and it showed Adi and Pooja dancing together and Zoya and Yash dancing together and then part way through, Pooja and Yash left their partners and then began dancing with each other.  

The producer said, "This is not a love story but a story about love."

There's obviously a murder mystery in the middle of it, tying everyone together, but we have to remember that it's a story about love.  That includes the other characters as well and it comes in many different forms. 

We are seeing sisterly love, brotherly love, a mother's love that is desperate to have her son reciprocate the love, in the case of Pooja's mom; she loves her daughter but is also heart broken by her because she hurt Adi, who she also loves like her own son.  As for Mr. Hooda, I don't think he knows how to love.  He is controlling and selfish and perhaps he does love Adi and the only way he knows how to show it is to protect him from whatever secret he's hiding, and trying to control Adi's actions.  

There is love that becomes jealous.

Love that becomes self absorbed. 

And love that will eventually become all encompassing.

Learning to love yourself.  

Edited by SuzanneH - 5 years ago
Hi! So I'm new to this whole thing, but if you don't mind, I wanted to throw my two cents to this idea (which by the way, you have penned brilliantly). I'd like to add that this show is also about learning to love yourself. Adi and Zoya had their whole lives revolve around loving their respective partners (Zoya especially), and when they realize their betrayal, AdiYa are forced to learn to put themselves first. Adi may seem like he's learning to do that from his exterior, but he still punishes himself by drinking excessively and when he's not doing that, he's projecting his feelings onto Zoya, calling her his source of entertainment, when in reality he just distracts himself from... well - him. Zoya's path is a little more easier to see where after she figures out what Yash had done to her, she goes on a path of self-loathing, with having Mahi as an excuse to survive. This brings me to the current track that they're going on. Yes it's a little foolish, and is definitely ott to catch some ratings, but, if the cvs know what they're doing (which I really hope that they do because LOOK AT ALL THE POTENTIAL), this track is simply leading to AdiYa realizing how dependent they are on others for their own happiness, and how with each others support, they can find a confidant in one another, but still learn the ropes to leading lives as individuals who can find happiness for themselves. I know thora zyada ho gaya, but I've been genuinely interested in an Indian TV show after a really long time, so I hope that it lives up to expectations and doesn't become the saas-bahu kitchen politics nonsense that seems to be the general format for these shows over the past years   Edited by jasleen77 - 5 years ago
Originally posted by jasleen77

Hi! So I'm new to this whole thing, but if you don't mind, I wanted to throw my two cents to this idea (which by the way, you have penned brilliantly). I'd like to add that this show is also about learning to love yourself. Adi and Zoya had their whole lives revolve around loving their respective partners (Zoya especially), and when they realize their betrayal, AdiYa are forced to learn to put themselves first. Adi may seem like he's learning to do that from his exterior, but he still punishes himself by drinking excessively and when he's not doing that, he's projecting his feelings onto Zoya, calling her his source of entertainment, when in reality he just distracts himself from... well - him. Zoya's path is a little more easier to see where after she figures out what Yash had done to her, she goes on a path of self-loathing, with having Mahi as an excuse to survive. This brings me to the current track that they're going on. Yes it's a little foolish, and is definitely ott to catch some ratings, but, if the cvs know what they're doing (which I really hope that they do because LOOK AT ALL THE POTENTIAL), this track is simply leading to AdiYa realizing how dependent they are on others for their own happiness, and how with each others support, they can find a confidant in one another, but still learn the ropes to leading lives as individuals who can find happiness for themselves. I know thora zyada ho gaya, but I've been genuinely interested in an Indian TV show after a really long time, so I hope that it lives up to expectations and doesn't become the saas-bahu kitchen politics nonsense that seems to be the general format for these shows over the past years  

Welcome, Jasleen!  Although you're new to this whole thing, your two cents have been well worth it!  I totally agree with you and can definitely add 'learning to love yourself' to the list because truly Adi and Zoya need to be kinder to themselves.

We have to remember that there are so many secrets still hidden and we may not know where their actions are heading because we don't know what's ahead.  There's still too many unknowns especially with Mr. Hooda and Mr. Siddiqui who hint at being instrumental in the demise of Pooja and Yash.  Again, another mystery to unfold.

As for me, I only started watching Indian serials a year ago.  I'm Canadian and speak only English.  Don't know Hindi at all, although, since watching these shows, I've learned a lot!  I really enjoy them because they're different than the North American soap; first of all, it's a different culture, with all the hand gestures, it becomes very animated during conversations and my favourite - the mysterious eye-lock that brings on the wind even inside a house!  That's true love!

Anyway, I'm enjoying it   πŸ˜Š

Originally posted by SuzanneH

Welcome, Jasleen!  Although you're new to this whole thing, your two cents have been well worth it!  I totally agree with you and can definitely add 'learning to love yourself' to the list because truly Adi and Zoya need to be kinder to themselves.

We have to remember that there are so many secrets still hidden and we may not know where their actions are heading because we don't know what's ahead.  There's still too many unknowns especially with Mr. Hooda and Mr. Siddiqui who hint at being instrumental in the demise of Pooja and Yash.  Again, another mystery to unfold.

As for me, I only started watching Indian serials a year ago.  I'm Canadian and speak only English.  Don't know Hindi at all, although, since watching these shows, I've learned a lot!  I really enjoy them because they're different than the North American soap; first of all, it's a different culture, with all the hand gestures, it becomes very animated during conversations and my favourite - the mysterious eye-lock that brings on the wind even inside a house!  That's true love!

I'M CANADIAN TOO!!! Small world :) Only difference is that thanks to my mom (and sometimes my dad), I've been watching these shows my entire life, so I'm familiar with a lot of the tricks they have up their sleeve lol. But what I'm curious about is how you got into Indian shows

Hey Suzanne, first of all, welcome to the forum! This is the first time I am seeing a non desi/Turkish/Spanish/MENA/Indonesian audience watching Indian shows. The sentence in bold is such a cute description of the customary eye-locks that are staple of Indian TV shows. What others have you watched that "bring on the wind inside the house"? Just curious!

-Jaz

I live in BC and we have the OMNI channel  which shows Asian programs and one night I was going through the channels and came across a show that had English subtitles.  I stopped for a few minutes to read what was going on.  A week later while flipping, I came across the same show again and stopped to watch it.  I was intrigued and started watching Kumkum Bhagya.  Then after a few months, it went off the air and I was bummed because by then I was already rooting for Abhi and Pragya!   

Telus gives you some free channels each month to entice you to buy more channels and they offered Zee TV  for free for the month and I started watching more shows!  Then I joined IF because I was watching Aisi Deewangi and it happened to air the same day in Canada as it did in India so I was able to be on the same page as the other members.  I totally enjoyed it and learned a lot.  There was a girl from Ontario in the forum who was so helpful and answered my many questions regarding the Hindi language and translations and I was then able to pick up a few words and sentences without reading the subtitles!  πŸ‘

As for the wind, it made an entrance in Kumkum Bhagya, Kundali Bhagya, Aisi Deewangi and Woh Apna Sa to name a few.  The couple would have an intense eye lock and the music would play and the wind would come into the room and gently blow the woman's hair around.  Nothing like a hurricane to blow the strands of hair across her face, but a gentle controlled wind making her beautiful long hair flow behind her  as he became lost in her eyes.  Well until something brought them both out of their dream state and then just as suddenly, the wind would disappear.  You know it's love when it even affects the wind!   That wind never shows up on something like The Young and the Restless!

Anyway, I'm totally hooked on them. 

Hi Suzanne! Welcome to the forum!!
Its great to have a person from different culture watching the show...you might pick up on nuances which we could miss! Loved your post and you described the essence beautifully!!πŸ‘

@bold: had me in splits...our Indian shows tend to get a bit dramaticπŸ˜† you will surely see more of these mysterious happenings as you go along!!

I am Sumi, btw!!

PS: if you any problem in understanding any parts of the epi because of hindi, you are most welcome to ping me...will tell you if I know itπŸ˜†

I live in BC and we have the OMNI channel  which shows Asian programs and one night I was going through the channels and came across a show that had English subtitles.  I stopped for a few minutes to read what was going on.  A week later while flipping, I came across the same show again and stopped to watch it.  I was intrigued and started watching Kumkum Bhagya.  Then after a few months, it went off the air and I was bummed because by then I was already rooting for Abhi and Pragya!   

Telus gives you some free channels each month to entice you to buy more channels and they offered Zee TV  for free for the month and I started watching more shows!  Then I joined IF because I was watching Aisi Deewangi and it happened to air the same day in Canada as it did in India so I was able to be on the same page as the other members.  I totally enjoyed it and learned a lot.  There was a girl from Ontario in the forum who was so helpful and answered my many questions regarding the Hindi language and translations and I was then able to pick up a few words and sentences without reading the subtitles!  πŸ‘

As for the wind, it made an entrance in Kumkum Bhagya, Kundali Bhagya, Aisi Deewangi and Woh Apna Sa to name a few.  The couple would have an intense eye lock and the music would play and the wind would come into the room and gently blow the woman's hair around.  Nothing like a hurricane to blow the strands of hair across her face, but a gentle controlled wind making her beautiful long hair flow behind her  as he became lost in her eyes.  Well until something brought them both out of their dream state and then just as suddenly, the wind would disappear.  You know it's love when it even affects the wind!   That wind never shows up on something like The Young and the Restless!

Anyway, I'm totally hooked on them. 

The wind, the tripping over random objects only to fall into each others eyes, but you missed the era when one slap across the face would mean that they replayed it three times with fake lightning crashing in the background and a panorama of the shocked faces of every cast member present in the scene, complete with this really weird background music... those were the days. But I didn't know OMNI also played Indian TV shows... I thought they only showed Hindi movies on Sundays... the more you know :)

(Quoted by Jasleen77)
The wind, the tripping over random objects only to fall into each others eyes, but you missed the era when one slap across the face would mean that they replayed it three times with fake lightning crashing in the background and a panorama of the shocked faces of every cast member present in the scene, complete with this really weird background music... those were the days. But I didn't know OMNI also played Indian TV shows... I thought they only showed Hindi movies on Sundays... the more you know :)

LOL, some of the shows I watch have the slap replayed 3 times but definitely no lightning!  I like that they use so many hand gestures when speaking, emphasising their speech.   It's more expressive.  

I didn't notice too many shows on OMNI except for when I saw KKB with the subtitles.  Most other programs on their station don't have subtitles.  I would sometimes watch for a few minutes a show called "Everyone Loves Raymond" which was on the same premise as the American show with the same name but this one was of course Hindi.  It didn't have subtitles and sadly I couldn't make out what they were saying except for a few words or phrases but their expressions and body language made it very entertaining and I know it was funny.

(Quoted by Jasleen77)

LOL, some of the shows I watch have the slap replayed 3 times but definitely no lightning!  I like that they use so many hand gestures when speaking, emphasising their speech.   It's more expressive.  

I didn't notice too many shows on OMNI except for when I saw KKB with the subtitles.  Most other programs on their station don't have subtitles.  I would sometimes watch for a few minutes a show called "Everyone Loves Raymond" which was on the same premise as the American show with the same name but this one was of course Hindi.  It didn't have subtitles and sadly I couldn't make out what they were saying except for a few words or phrases but their expressions and body language made it very entertaining and I know it was funny.

You know, it's really funny to see your perspective on this because I've honestly never paid too much attention to the gestures that they use. I guess that comes from the fact that I've always just seen people around me use gestures while talking, and I use them a lot too. But you being so excited about them... i guess it's just new. Also, what channel do you watch Bepannaah on?