Short Story:MY STOLEN HEART (Part 21Concluding Part updated page 102 )

WeRockTheWorld thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 5 years ago
Arranged Marriage?? A thought crossed my mind. I wanted to explore the path of arranged marriage for Sameer and Naina. And here I am with a new story..a short story.

PROLOGUE

I promised myself that I wouldn't dare to fall in love . I walked ahead to quench my thirst , head held high and happy about my resolution . After all, not every day people make such resolution. School playground was bustling with sounds of students playing different games, some chit chatting under the wide canopy of Rain Tree. There was nothing new in what I saw , the same old scene that one sees during the afternoon hours in a school. Amidst all this I noticed my sister Preethi and her best friend Swathi sitting under the tree and reading a magazine. I was sure they were talking about some latest romantic movie.

People have always asked me , if I ever understood anything other than books. Was , I not interested in love or romance?? Of course, I was just like any other girl of my age. To be honest a diehard romantic. But that is a secret that I kept to myself. For me love is not what you see in movies and you get entertained. For me love is life. I was in love with the concept of love because I have never had a taste of it and deep down, I knew it was like a forbidden fruit for me.

They saw me and waved their hands calling me to join them . I smiled , " I am going to the library to renew the book.

I walked to the corridor holding Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Nights dream book in my hand wondering what it meant when Shakespeare wrote "Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind, And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.

Guess what ??, a near collision with a boy whose name I didn't know , was not there in the school register. I was sure, never seen him till date. In that near collision, did we touch each other? No we didn't, we kept looking into each other's eyes trying to steady ourselves. His eyes, lord !! , there was something written which I couldn't decipher. I am sure he felt it too. He couldn't take his eyes of mine, he kept looking, as if searching for some answers from me. And then he moved away in a hurry . I stood there rooted while he turned back twice to look at me with the same searching eyes.

Little did I know that my resolution was soon going to go for a toss in the wind that just whisked me . Yes , the wind named Sameer , Sameer Jayaprakash Maheshwari !! And at that moment, I understood the love that Shakespeare tried to explain.

They say love will find its way and it did come my way but unfortunately it was ONE WAY.

He was unaware about my feelings for him. The whole world was!! Only I knew how my heart skipped a beat when he went by my side and sat next to me. Only I knew how irritated , I would feel when I see him smiling at other girls of my class. Only I knew , how sad I felt when my classmates would call me Behanji and he would laugh along with them. Only I knew , how jealous I was when I heard Kamya and him are friends . Only I knew , how humiliated I felt when he would ignore my presence. Only I knew , how my heart broke into million pieces when I heard that he was in love with Kamya.
The irony of life !! That's nothing new for me as I was proficient in handling such ironys , this was not the first. I decided to lock this love of mine deep down in my heart so that it doesn't surface again to see the light. The broken resolution was back in place with some exceptions like ...in dreams.

As time ticked , I graduated , BA in Literature. That's when I saw an advertisement in the paper for a job opening for the post of an Administrator , in an NGO which helped to empower women . They also had a cottage industry attached to it which taught women embroidery, stitching churidhars, shirts etc. They also published a monthly magazine for women. I was eager to get a job and be of some financial assistance to my Chacha and Chachi ji. I didn't want to burden them more.

I had to get Chachi ji's permission.   

"Naina , I thought you wanted to study further. So why this thought of going for work

"Chacha ji , I plan to do MA via distance education. In this way I can earn and gain experience too

Chacha ji was convinced and as expected . I got the job!! Was I happy ?? NO !! because there is one minor detail that I missed about the NGO. Well, NGO was run by Vishaka Aunty, Sameer's mother, which I knew ONLY after I joined. I feared if our paths would cross again but thankfully it didn't happen. After school , I had met him only in my dreams not in person.

The painful part was yet to happen. After a month into the job , I heard about his and Kamya's engagement. It was the talk of the town. Kids of two big business households going to get married. There wasn't much in me to be shattered . Would a broken glass be broken again ?? Probably can be powered rt? That was my situation. I put up a brave front and promised Vishaka Aunty that I would help her with the wedding tasks. She happily told me , that they were waiting for her second son Rohan to be back after his third year exam and they plan to have the wedding in the month of November 1995. She continued with her chatter saying that Sameer was taking over the family business and Nana ji was helping him.

I was happy for them, at least some people got whatever they wished in life. I was glad that Sameer had it all. At least I thought so.. till , I came to know that due to some reason they had to call of the wedding. He left Ahmedabad and went to Delhi with his grandfather.   People talked with the same spirit as their engagement was discussed. People even went on to say that Rohan , his younger brother was the reason for the breakup. I ignored all , and concentrated on my work and my studies.

Season came and went, life moved on, Sameer and Kamya's engagement was forgotten like the stories in the pages of history.

To be continued...

Chapters

Prologue - Page 1
Part 1     - Page 1
Part 2     - Page 5
Part 3     - Page 11
Part 4    - Page 16
Part 5    - Page 21
Part 6    - Page 26
Part 7    - Page 29
Part 8   - Page 37
Part 9    - Page 42
Part 10   - Page 47
Part 11 - Page 51
Part 12 -   Page 55
Part 13 - Page 62
Part 14   - Page 68
Part 15   - Page 73
Part 16 -   Page 80
Part 17 -   Page 84
Part 18 - Page 88
Part 19 - Page 94
Part 20 -   Page 98
Part 21 - Page 102 - Concluding Part Edited by WeRockTheWorld - 5 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

WeRockTheWorld thumbnail
PART 1
Vishaka, sat on her chair made of imperial leather talking to some one on the phone while Sameer entered her cabin and gave her wink. Quickly she ended the conversation . She couldn't believe her eyes , her son was back in Ahmedabad and that too at her office. She regularly talked with him via phone but was meeting him after 18 months. The last time she met was before him leaving for Delhi , when his engagement broke. She had never liked Kamya, infact no one in the family did. They all agreed just for him. When their relationship broke , she felt his ego had pricked. He had worked hard in that past months to become the youngest entrepreneur and the most eligible bachelor. Just that "Bachelor had lost faith in women and marriage!!

"You didn't tell me you were coming . What happened ??

"You are meeting your son after so many months , don't you think you should be asking ...how are you dear??

"Sameer !! stop playing around. I thought you didn't want to be back here.

"You are right , that's what I thought . But then time heals and you cant hide forever , can I ?? Besides there are few things that I need to check here and change few machineries at our Ahmedabad processing house. Nanu suggested that I should interact with people here and get to know their way of working . So here I am .

"Good !! so you are going to be here for few months?

"Nanu , feels I should be handling Ahmedabad side of business for sometime...will be here at least for 6 months.

"That's great, which means I will have some company other than your dad . I am happy

"Really ?? I don't think you were lacking for company. The way you were talking on the phone clearly showed that you have lots of people to keep you busy and entertained

"You are right. There is someone whom I have got close to. She is a lovely girl and I have gotten attached to her . When you were not around , she has helped me a lot

Sameer couldn't believe his mom. He shook his head and gave one of his famous smirk "Mom, smart one learns from others mistakes too. Girl and lovely !! all I will say is be careful . Don't get too carried away.

Vishaka couldn't blame her son . He was hurt in such a way that his broken heart was beyond repair. But she knew she had to do something to get him out of his hatred for women

"Don't blame others because you chose to walk with closed eyes my dear boy. Just because one cheated you don't blame the whole clan. Don't forget your mom happens to be from the same female clan. Hmmm...Sameer, there are so many men in this world who abuse women , does that mean , I should consider you one among them ??

The last sentence did hit hard on him. He didn't know how to respond or even react to that . He knew his mom was right.

"Mom...I didn't...

"Before you point fingers at a person , be sure you are on the right side. As far as that girl goes , poor thing lost her mom when she was very young. Her father didn't want the burden of having a girl child and his elder brother and family also didn't want to support her. They , decided to put her in the poor kids boarding run by your Nanu. Thankfully her fathers younger brother who was in Bombay decided to adopt her.   She lives with her chacha chachi and their two girls.

Today , when you came in , she had called me to say that someone is coming to see her so she wont be able to come to office. I just hope at least this time her marriage gets fixed. Every time on the name of dowry , she is rejected.

Sameer understood by the look on Vishaka's face that she cared for this girl.

"How educated is this girl mom?

"She joined our NGO after her BA in literature. Now she is doing her MA , distance education. I think this is her last semester

Anyways, lets go home. I think will ask one of them to hold the fort for me till tomorrow. I just hope everything goes for her fine.

"Mom!! Looks like you love her more than us. By the way whats her name?? Or should I call her Jr. Vishaka daughter of Vishaka??

Vishaka glared at him and then sniggered.

"She studied in PVKM. You must be knowing her . Her name is Naina,Naina Agarwal.

"You mean Behanji The moment he said that , he regretted it. Something told him it shouldn't have come from his mouth. Even in those days , he didn't like them teasing her, but he feared going against the crowd , so he used to become the mute spectator.

"Well , I mean ...yeah she was in the same batch as I was. She topped our batch.

"What do you mean Behanji?? Did you guys call her that ...if yes, then I must say, you boys are blind!!

"Sameer, don't tell anyone what I told you just now. This is something that no one knows. Even she has no clue about all this . She was barely 5 years when all this happened. She loves her dad , brother , Tau and Tayiji . I always pray to god that she should never know that she was officially adopted by her Chacha and Chachi.

"Don't worry. No one will know from me. I promise !!

That night Sameer couldn't sleep. He was pacing his room like an angry Lion. Naina's face kept flashing. Every one knew that Preethi was her cousin and Librarian was her father. He couldn't believe that Rakesh sir was capable of disowning his daughter.

He remembered their first meeting . They had nearly collided with each other and the way she had looked at him was, as if she was looking at a puzzle that needs to be solved. Even when he was with Kamya, something would make him look towards this girl. Its her eyes , there was something about the way she looked at him which made him very unsettled . He never felt comfortable when people made fun of her behind her back.

Once when during maths class , teacher had asked her to check if all had brought geometry box she had cleverly skipped his name when she knew he hadnt. For some days , people used to tease him with her and he had hated it. Even thou , she was nice to him and helped him by giving her notes whenever he asked for it, he never felt close to her. He never wanted his classmates to know that they shared notes. Probably because he thought his hero image would be affected if they knew about or it could be that Kamya would get angry. Now at 23yrs and with life's experience , he was able to see her in a different light and he felt guilty of the way he behaved back then.

After listening to her story , he felt sad and even worried thinking , if the person who came to see her was good to be her husband.

8:30 AM

Vishaka was waiting for the driver to come when Sameer had got out ready for office.

"Arent you early Sameer?

"I thought , I was late . Its already 8:30 and need to be at the factory by 9:00.

"Really ?? When did people start working at 9:00. It starts at 10:00

"Oh!! It just skipped my mind. Alright , then I will drop you at your place and spend some time with you there.

"Sameer, this is not your first day here in Ahmedabad. So what are you up to my boy. Don't forget I am your mom. You came from my womb!!

Sameer knew , he was caught. How could he tell his mom that , he wanted to know if Naina's wedding was fixed. He wanted to know , who was going to marry her and if this so called guy was worthy of her hand. He had to divert his mom's thoughts.

"Mom, I wanted to spend some time with you.

"Sameer, you could have just told me that . Why play this drama

Hearing that statement , he blushed . Vishaka couldn't believe her eyes. Even when he had spoken to her about Kamya , he never felt shy or blushed this way. She felt there was something that has given a glow on his face .

"Shall we go??

"Alright , lets get going . I am eager to reach office and see Naina.

It was 9:10 AM . Sameer was sitting on the ground next to the table and sorting out old files for his mom , when Naina walked in. One look on her face , Vishaka knew even this proposal didn't work out. Her eyes were red as if she cried the whole night.

"This time what was the reason Naina ? Was it dowry?

"I said NO, and Chachi also felt the same. It was more like a barter system. They are my dad's friends relatives. This guy's sister would marry Arjun Bhaiya if I agreed to marry him. Swathi, Preeth's friend told Karan was not a good guy. I trust her . She wouldn't lie.

Hearing Karan's name , Sameer got up and asked "Karan Kumar ??He is a drug addict and god alone knows what all he does.

That's when Naina, realized there was another person in the room. She slowly turned around to meet the eyes of the person . The person whom she had never wanted to meet. The person who had kept her awake for so many nights . The person who had given her so much of pain. The person who had stolen her heart.

Time Froze !!

He couldn't believe his eyes . He felt his mom was right. All the boys including him was absolutely blind not to recognize this beauty. She was wearing a light blue cotton Salwar. Her hair was tied into a nice French braid . She was wearing silver jumkas and a watch with white strap. No chain . No bangles. She looked beautiful. Just Perfect.

Vishaka, was happily surprised. She was in fact loving what she saw. Her son totally lost seeing Naina. On the other hand Naina seemed not so happy to see Sameer. Now , she knew why Sameer wanted to drop her at her office.

It was Naina who recovered from the shock first.

"Hi Sameer, how are you. Hope, all good?

Even before Sameer could come out of his shock, Vishaka enquired "Looks like you both know each other very well.

"Aunty , Sameer and I were classmates in 11th and 12th . And during exam time , we used to share notes. He used to help me with English and I used to help him with Hindi and Maths.

"Really ?? I knew you both were at the same school but didn't know you were classmates.

"Aunty , I need to check the batch of shirts that needs to be send to Delhi. Will let you know once its ready. Bye Sameer. Saying so she walked out of the cabin.

"Batch Mates huh??

"Mom, batchmates can be also be classmates !! Glad she said NO to that guy. He would have ruined her life.

"Yes , she escaped this time. But I am sure some one would soon ruin her life. After some years, she will be forced to marry someone whom her family says. I don't think then she will be given a choice. She has a younger cousin too. More the delay in her marriage , the younger ones marriage will also get delayed and knowing her nature..she would eventually give in.

"Why should she give in mom? She has job here and her sister could get married before her. Why should she compromise??

"Sameer , this is a small town in India. There are certain social norms that needs to be followed and it cant be broken. Look at her situation Sameer, who would marry her ?? In her community ,people ask for a lot of dowry and her father is not willing to pay a single penny . Its her Chacha ji who will have to get her married. He got his elder daughter married few months back . How much will that poor man give..with three girls its not easy my boy.

Vishaka , could sense Sameer's anger. She knew he was attracted to Naina and she decided she was going to play along. She felt Naina is the right girl for Sameer.

"Forget it Sameer. You and I will only end up arguing. There wont be a solution for this. Somethings are destined to happen and people just have to go thru it. This is her fate , she has to live with it.

"What do you mean she has to live with it? Why wouldn't she get married to a nice guy from a good family. She is intelligent, well mannered, educated, is financially independent and above all very beautiful. What else would a boy want in his wife??

"Dowry and a family that can be called hers. During her wedding truth will come out Sameer. There will be questions asked as to why she is living with her Chacha Chachi etc. To top it all her Tayi ji goes around telling people that she is very unlucky for the family. Which boy would want to marry such a girl.

"Common mom , we are not living in 1930s. This is 1997

"Is that so ?? Then let me ask you something Sameer Jayaprakash Maheshwari, are you willing to give her a life ?? I have the guts to accept her as my DIL and without dowry. Do you have the backbone to marry Naina Agarwal??

Sameer stood there looking at his mom's face , absolutely confused.

"Silence ??!!..wondering how you will tell the world...your friends that you are going to marry "Behanji of your "batch...Its ok Sameer... Its very easy to talk but when it comes to actions it's a different game altogether. Only very few men rise up to stand by a woman...not because they sympathise them...but out of respect..

Hmmm ...I think its time ...if you don't start now you will be late...I mean late to office.

Vishaka knew her son...a tough nut and knew he would surely rise. She just need to patiently wait till he convinces his brain...it was clear that his heart was already convinced.

Next day early morning , Sameer came to Vishaka's room.

"Mom, yesterday you asked me a question, I thought over it and my answer is YES , I would want to marry Naina.

"Sameer, this is no child's game and no turning back in the last moment

"I am not Kamya . I wouldn't change my mind like the way she did when she saw Rohan who was pursuing his studies abroad. Once I commit its for life mom. Me agreeing to marry Naina is not out of sympathy ...its also for me... I think its high time I let go my past and move on.

"Are you sure Sameer??

"YES Mom!!

To be Continued...

Edited by WeRockTheWorld - 5 years ago
WeRockTheWorld thumbnail
Have updated PROLOGUE and PART 1 Let me know if you all liked it..awaiting for your comments.Edited by WeRockTheWorld - 5 years ago
SixteenAgain thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 5
Awesome start! It's a very interesting concept to give these two the arranged marriage scenario.. after all there are so many ways to fall in love!

seems like for Naina it is always going to be love at first sight :) but then Sam remembers seeing something in her eyes which always unsettled him.. so the awareness of the undercurrent was always there for him too!

I liked seeing Vishakha as a central character in this story. And here she has a very strong mother's instinct... just by seeing Samaina's interaction for a few minutes she knew which buttons to push 😉

Eagerly awaiting the next part!
WeRockTheWorld thumbnail
Originally posted by: SixteenAgain

Awesome start! It's a very interesting concept to give these two the arranged marriage scenario.. after all there are so many ways to fall in love!

seems like for Naina it is always going to be love at first sight :) but then Sam remembers seeing something in her eyes which always unsettled him.. so the awareness of the undercurrent was always there for him too!

I liked seeing Vishakha as a central character in this story. And here she has a very strong mother's instinct... just by seeing Samaina's interaction for a few minutes she knew which buttons to push 😉

Eagerly awaiting the next part!

Thank you so much !! Yes , here No step dhadhi..and Somani is a nice person. 😉 Grey characters , are limited to Agarwal side...and few friends... 😆Edited by WeRockTheWorld - 5 years ago
JaySee thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Superb story.
Loved each and every characters.
Eagerly waiting for next part.
Sindhujalincy thumbnail
Wow loved the concept nice to see changed matured sameer can't wait for the next awesome update
hanishank thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
good one ...am loving the story
_shweta98 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Loved it! A very different concept!
Please continue soon! Waiting waiting...😳
Laksh2000 thumbnail
Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.
U have portrayed nainas one sided love so beautifully. Sameer was always attracted towards her subconsciously.

Jaldi update Kar do. Ab aur intezaar nahi hota.
Edited by mrinalinimenon - 5 years ago