How is Kajol not a female superstar but Madhuri is?

Maaya_Memsaab thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago
I just happened to check both of their filmography on box-office forums & to my surprise Madhuri who's known as the 'female superstar' had a horrible box office record in her prime.

On the other hand Kajol has the best box office record of all the top 90s heroines including Madhuri, Sridevi, Divya, Juhi, Manisha. Then why isn't Kajol considered a female superstar despite her having a much better box office record? 

Can someone please explain?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

HotFuzz thumbnail
Madhuri had more star power.. Few movies ran just because of her in spite of the story being pathetic . Raja was one of them and I also went only to see MD 😆
This is just my opinion
Maaya_Memsaab thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: HotFuzz

Madhuri had more star power.. Few movies ran just because of her in spite of the story being pathetic . Raja was one of them and I also went only to see MD 😆
This is just my opinion

If Madz had more starpower, then shouldn't she have more hit movies than flop?

PS. Kajol also made movies hit on her own like Gupt.
Fluffyalexis thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Just like how Sridevi is a bigger star than forgotten actress Meenakshi Sheshadri!! From 80's to early 90's Meenakshi  was one of India's top paid actress and starred in much more bigger hits than Sridevi.Yet its Sridevi  who was hailed as the female superstar by the trade and press . It might due to the fact that both Sridevi & Madhuri overshadowed their male costars with their wonderful acting.They were also hugely popular among the middleclass and the poor who form the major chunk of audience who watch the film in theatres. Kajol is neither a looker nor an iconic actress like Sri/Mads.So its no surprise she isnt considered as the female superstar.

needhelp2 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
KAJOL is also a superstar.. she also always won the most loved hindi actress surveys.. 
Resident_Evil thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
This whole superstar thing is BS. Madhuri undoubtedly was a huge star and Kajol was never able to reach her level but considering Madhuri's current situation she is no longer a superstar but a yesteryear icon. And besides Kajol lacked beauty and dancing skills and she was not the overall package that Madhuri and Sridevi were. 

Anyways i think Kajol is a superstar just not on the level of Madhuri and Sridevi. However she is a bigger star than Madhuri currently. 
Kyahikahoon thumbnail
IPL 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 15 Thumbnail + 3
I m not sure about the statistics but I guess Madhuri had a longer run without a break as a lead actress compared to Kajol..she also has more films to her credit. Even her dancing skills added a lot to her star power.. something which Kajol lacked
Fluffyalexis thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: niyati13

I m not sure about the statistics but I guess Madhuri had a longer run without a break as a lead actress compared to Kajol..she also has more films to her credit. Even her dancing skills added a lot to her star power.. something which Kajol lacked

Madhuri became popular only from 1988.It took her 3 yrs(1991) to reach Numero Uno Status. By early 1996 she lost that spot with back to back flops. 
MOTHERHOOD thumbnail
Number of hit and flops don't determine superstar. Sometimes people remember only one hit movie of yours and forget the flop ones. They keep watching the hit movie. Madhuri became a superstar because of Dhak Dhak. People still remember her as Dhak Dhak girl. Her hit/flop ratio does not matter.
MargaritaLover thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Kajol banked on Srk and Kjo majorly. While Madhuri was an independent performer. She had her own Monopoly.