Sakti Pitha's Bhairav Who is he?

ltelidevara thumbnail
Visit Streak 1000 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 6 years ago

The show on Sakti Pith  Ke Bhairav made by Nikhil Sinha is being telecast on big magic. Ofcourse the topic itself generates curiosity and interest since all of us know how Sakti Pithas originated under the protection of Bhairav.

The show makers as usual will take resort to creative Liberty despite sticking to source version. It is inevitable for them to do so but it is always advisable to know what exactly is given in our scriptures..so that we will have the satisfaction of being aware of the basic story. Enjoy the show but get the facts right.

I would like to present whatever I know about Bhairav and Sakti Pithas as per the scriptures.

Who is Kala Bhairav?

kala bhairava was a mendicant(beggar) with a begging bowl in hand. the begging bowl was not just any vessel. it was the skull of brahma's fifth head. lord shiva cut it off to humble brahma and vishnu.

So here goes the story:

Brahma and Vishnu were disputing with each other for the status of supreme God and appealed to the testimony of the four Vedas, which unanimously proclaimed Rudra-Shiva as the Ultimate Truth of the Universe. But the disputants were unable to accept that Rudra, endowed with so many revolting symbols of impurity and degradation, could be identical with the Absolute Reality of Brahman.

Brahma laughed scornfully: "How could the Brahman, free of all attachment, lustily sport with his wife in the company of his  pramathas?" However, Rudra's supremacy was finally reconfirmed by the  ultimate sound-syllable, Omkra, quintessence of the Veda and most condensed symbol of Brahman, who pointed out that Shiva's wife mbodies his own blissful essence.

Just then an immense pillar of flame manifested itself in their midst, within which was recognized the towering figure of the three-eyed Rudra bearing his trident, serpents and crescent moon. But the fifth head of Brahm taunted him: "I know who you are, Rudra, whom I created from my forehead. Take refuge with me and I will protect you, my son!"

Overflowing with anger, Shiva created a blazing Bhairava in human form, addressing this Kalabhairava as "Lord of Time-Death" (kala) for he shone like the god of Death: "You are called Bhairava because you are of terrifying features and are capable of supporting the universe. You are called Kala-Bhairava, for even Time-Death is terrified of you." 

He ordered him to chastise Brahma, promising him in return eternal authority over his city of Kashi  the cremation-ground of the Hindu universe, where final emancipation is assured. In a trice, Bhairava ripped off Brahm's guilty head with the nail of his left thumb. 

Seeing this, the terrified Vishnu praised Shiva and devotedly recited his sacred hymns, followed in this by the repentant Brahma Thereby they gained his protection by realizing and acknowledging the supreme reality of Shiva. The severed head immediately stuck to Bhairava's hand, where it remained in the form of the skull, destined to serve as his insatiable begging-bowl

Shiva then directed Bhairava to roam the world in this beggarly condition to atone for the sin of Brahmahatya."Show to the world the rite of expiation for removing the sin of Brahmahatya. Beg for alms taking up the  rite of the skull (kapalavrata)." Creating a maiden renowned as '(Brahmahatya Shiva instructed her to relentlessly follow Bhairava everywhere until he reached the holy city of Kashi to which she would have no access.

Observing the Kapalika rite with skull in hand and pursued by the terrible Brahmahatya Bhairava sported freely, laughing, singing and dancing with his pramathas Stealing more than the hearts of all women, even the chaste wives of the Seven Vedic Sages (sapta-rshi) as he passed through the Daru forest, the erotic ascetic arrived at Vishnu's door to seek redemption only to find his entry barred by the guard, Vishvaksena

But Bhairav suppressed him and approached Vishnu. Then  he stood before Vishnu with outstretched begging-bowl the skull. Vishnu split his own forehead-vein  but the out-flowing blood, the only suitable offering, could not fill the skull though it flowed over

. Vishnu then tried to dissuade Brahmahatya from tormenting Bhairava in vain. Vishnu venerated Bhairava as the Supreme Being, untainted by sins like Brahmahatya and acknowledged that he is above these.

On arriving at Kashi  Brahmahatya sank into the nether-world, and the holy ground on which the skull fell, freeing Bhairava from his Sin  came to be known as Kapalamochana

. It was on the eighth day (ashtami) in the dark (waning moon) half of the month of Margasirsha that Lord Shiva manifested himself as Bhairava. Ever since, by performing worship  at Kapalamochana one can get rid of even the worst sin of Brahmahatya.and whosoever fasts on this day that is on Bhairavashtami in front of Kalabhairava in Kashi and stays awake at night is freed from great sins.

The original Kala Bhairava temple was located on the banks of the Kapalamochana Trtha itself, in the Omkareshvara area north of Varanasi where Bhairava remained as the 'Sin-Eater' to remove the accumulated sins of devotees and pilgrims. 

To be continued

Note: There are other versions that differ a bit reg the way the story unfolds.

Lakshmi

Edited by ltelidevara - 6 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ltelidevara thumbnail

Kalabhairava  functions as a protector deity and as a temple guardian. In fact, there is a popular belief that the city of Varanasi (also known as Kashi) is a temple in and of itself, and Bhairava in his form as Kalabhairava is the gatekeeper

. Entering the city of Varanasi is considered to be very difficult, so those pilgrims who do enter the city offer flowers, oil, and food to Lord Kalabhairava as a token of appreciation. Kala means both time as well as the color black. In many popular folktales, Kalabhairava roams the city of Varanasi as a black dog. 

There are various forms of Bhairava, 64 to be exact. Of these 64 Bhairavas, there are eight distinct forms and eight Bhairava who fall under each of these categories. The popular formula for meditation of Bhairava form describes this deity as red in complexion with scattered, matted red dreadlocks. He has three eyes and carries a skull cap, trident, drum, and noose.

In a temple, this form of Bhairava would be placed in a niche on the outer wall, surrounded by carvings of different forms of Shiva's attendants. This form of the god is nude and his vehicle is a dog. While many people believe that Bhairava is a violent form of Shiva, he is indeed a benevolent form to the sincere devotee. 

The noose in his upper left hand signifies the bonds we have in the world. Family, wealth, desires, and material objects are all things that bind a man to the world. As such, men and all other creatures bound to these objects and relationships are known as "pashu or literally those bound by the noose.

Being unclad, and having no possessions, Bhairava is known as "Pashupathi or the Lord of those bound by the noose. Devotees who invoke Bhairava in their lives are blessed by him and receive his protection.In some households across India, a statue of either a dog or of Bhairava is installed in the garden or near the front door. Just as he protects the temple, he also protects the house from evil spirits and bad energy.

ltelidevara thumbnail
IThere are 8 types of Kaal Bhairavas and they are known as Ashta Bhairavas. They are the Asithanga Bhairava Chanda Bhairava, Kapala Bhairava Krodha Bhairava Unmatta Bhairava Bhishana Bhairava Ruru Bhairava and Samhara Bhairava

Apart from these 8 forms or Ashta Bhairavas, there is an important form of Kaal Bhairav knowns as the Swarna Akarshana Bhairava. 

As per puranas, it is said that there are 64 forms of Kaal Bhairavas and they are grouped under 8 main forms. And each of these 8 forms signifies a different Shakti that grants boons to devotees. 

1. The Asidanga Bhairava bestows one with creative ability
2. The Ruru Bhairava acts as the divine educator
3. Chanda Bhairava bestows one with incredible energy to overcome adversaries and rivals
4. Kroda Bhairava grants one the power to take initiatives
5. Unmatta Bhairava helps an individual control their ego and arrogance, narcissism
6. Kapala Bhairava puts an end to all thankless work and action
7. Bhishana Bhairava nullifies the evil influences, spirits and all negativity
8. Samhara Bhairava helps to achieve complete dissolution of negative karmas of the past

The Swarna Akarshana Bhairava is a benevolent form whose name means Gold attracting Bhairava, i.e. when appeased this form of Lord Bhairava he will grant the devotees gold. This form of Bhairava is red complexioned and depicted wearing a gold coloured robe. He has a moon placed on his head, has four hands and carries a golden vessel. He is known to grant boons of wealth and prosperity. 

Swarna Akarshana Bhairava is also known as Dhanakarshana Bhairava. 

SilverBell thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Wow Lakshmi
This Is A Very Informative Thread On Lord Bhairava.
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9
Thanks Lakshmi for info on different forms of Bhairav.
One of the strongest form is Swachchanda Bhairav, who is Lord Shiva himself. 
ltelidevara thumbnail

Originally posted by: SilverBell

Wow Lakshmi
This Is A Very Informative Thread On Lord Bhairava.

Thanks a lot.Even I feel great knowing and writing about him..

Lakshmi
ltelidevara thumbnail

Originally posted by: mnx12

Thanks Lakshmi for info on different forms of Bhairav.

One of the strongest form is Swachchanda Bhairav, who is Lord Shiva himself. 

Yes . He is the all powerful and Siva himself.Thanks for sharing Minakshi.

Lakshmi 
ltelidevara thumbnail
Swarnakarshana Bhairav

In times of crisis he averts all kinds of dangers. The one who worships Swarna akarshana Bhairava gets everything. He gets all the wealth and richness in his life and also is constantly protected from all the perils in his life. Above all, because Swarna akarshana Bhairava is the one of the Bhairava The manifestation of Siva he liberates us from all the patterns and karmas causing the cycle of birth and death.

Offering Dhan akarshana Bhairava Homa not only makes us successful in our efforts to gain in  abundance, but also makes us fulfilled in life, which ultimately leads to Enlightenment.

Swarna akarshana Bhairava Tantra depicts Him to be seated under the wish-fulfilling Kalpavriksha on a gem-studded golden throne in Sripuram the city of Devi Maha Tripurasundari. Mahalakshmi is stationed there to serve Him. The Swarna akarshana Bhairava Tantra says that once due to the curse of the sage Durvasa, Mahalakshmi lost her powers. Then Mahalakshmi had to worship Swarna akarshana Bhairava to regain her powers.

In the Dhan akarshana Bhairava Homa, the moola mantra that is chanted awakens the wealth consciousness' in us.By chanting Swarna akarshana or Dhan akarshana Bhairava mantra 108 times or writing mantra for 1008 or 10,008 times we will be blessed with well enough of assets and wealth.

There is also the benevolent form called Swarna Akarshana Bhairava (Gold Attracting Bhairava) who will bring gold from heaven instantly. The Swarna akarshana Bhairava has red complexion and clothed in golden dress. He has moon on  his head. He has four hands. In one of the hand he carries a golden vessel. With that he gives wealth and prosperity.

Dhan akarshana Bhairava Homa is the Homa performed to earn the grace of Sri Swarna akarshana Bhairava.

ltelidevara thumbnail

Kala Bhairava is the fearful manifestation of Lord Shiva. The word Kala suggests that he is the controller of time and the word Bhairav suggests that he is the most terrible form. Though his form is fearful, Lord Kalabhairav is highly merciful to his devotees and worshipping Him shall bestow several benefits. There are eight forms of Kala Bhairava. Worshipping each of them gives exclusive benefits.

1) Asitanga Bhairava: He appears in golden hue, carries four weapons namely trishula, damaru, pasha and khadga (sword) and rides on a Swan.

Mantra: Om Hreem Hraam Hreem Hrum Jam Klaam Kleem Klum 

Brahmi Devi Sametyaya Asitanga Bhairavaya Sarva Saap Nivartitaya Om Hreem Phat Swahaa

Meaning: I bow down to Asitanga Bhairava who appears with mother Brahmi Devi and removes all curses.

Benefits: Improves creative energy and brings about success in all ventures.

2) Ruru Bhairava: Appears in white colour with many ornaments decked with rubies.

Carries akshamala , the ankusha, a pustaka (book) and a veena and rides on a Bull

Mantra: Om Hreem Shreem Kleem Shreem Shreem Kleem Shreem

Sarva Raja Vasikaraya Sarva Jana Mohanaya

Sarva Vasya Sheegram Sheegram Sreem Kleem Shreem Svaha

Meaning: I bow down to Ruru Bhairava who can bring all people under his control. Let him bless me to win over peole. 

Benefits: Helps conquer enemies and get people under your control

3) Chanda Bhairava: Appears blue with a pleasant face. Carries agni, shakti (spear), gada and kunda and rides on a Peacock.

Mantra: Om Hreem Sarva Shakti Ruupaya Neela Varnaya

Maha Chanda Bhairavaya Namaha

Meaning: I bow down to Chanda Bhairava who is blue in colour and the repository of all powers.

Benefits: Gives the highest self confidence and helps overcome competitions and enemies

4) Krodha Bhairava: Appears grey in colour and carries khetaka, a long sword and axe and rides on an eagle.

Mantra: Om Shreem Hreem Shreem Hreem Kleem

Sarva Vighna Nivaranaya Maha Krodha Bhairavaya Namaha

Meaning: I bow down to Maha Krodha Bairav who removes all obstacles.

Benefits: Gives you the power to make potential and crucial decisions in life

5) Unmatta Bhairava: Appears in white color with a pleasing face carrying kunda, the khetaka, the parigha (iron bludgeon) and bhindipala (javelin) and rides on a Horse.

Mantra: Om Hreem Vaaraahi Samethaya Maha Unmatta Bhairavaaya

Hreem Om Svahaa

Meaning: I bow down to Unmattha Bhairava who appears with mother Varahi. Let him bless me with a powerful speech

Benefits: Help gain control over your speech and blesses with an eloquent speech. 

6) Kapala Bhairava: Yellow in complexion, carries the same weapons like that of Unmatta Bhairava and rides on an elephant.

Mantra: Om Hreem Kreem Hreem Sreem

Kapala Bhairavaya Namaha

Meaning: I bow down to Kapala Bhairava and seek his blessings.

Benefits: Puts and end to all unproductive works and actions

7) Bhishana Bhairava: Appears red in colour and carries the weapons same as those of Unmatta Bhairava and rides on corpse.

Mantra: Om Hreem Bheeshana Bhairavaya Sarva Saapa Nivaranaya

Mama Vasham Kuru Kuru Svaaha

Meaning: I bow down to Bheeshana Bhairav who removes all curses and evil spells. May I be heled to conquer the evil spirits and negative forces. 

Benefits: Helps conquer all evil spirits and negativity

8) Samhara Bhairava: Appears like lightening and carries the weapons same as those of Unmatta Bhairava and rides on a lion

Mantra: Om Namo Bhagavate Sahra Bhairavya 

Bhuta Preta Pisacha Brahma Rakshasan  Uchataya Uchataya

Saharaya Saharaya Sarva Bhaya Chedana Kuru Kuru Svaha ||

Meaning: I bow down to Samhara Bhairava who vanquishes all evils like ghosts, devils, demons and others. Let him help me overcome all negative forces. 

Benefits: Helps in dissolving all the bad consequences of past actions.

ltelidevara thumbnail

The Lord Kalabairava wears the tiger skin and human bones and also wears the twisted serpents as his ornaments i.e, earrings, bracelets, anklets, and sacred thread. The celestial vehicle of Lord Bairava is the dog. The number 13 is auspicious for the Lord.

The Ashtami (eighth lunar day) thithi of each paksham (moon / lunar phase fortnight), particularly in the waning phase (that is, Krishna Paksha Ashtami), is important for Kalabairava worship.

Kala Bhairava Ashtami, which occurs in December/January is an important day for worshipping the Lord. The Siddha secret that the Kuligai time of each day is ideal for worshipping Kala Bhairava. 

In Saivite legends and puranas Lord Kalabairava is considered as the Kshetrapalaka or guardian of temples of Lord Shiva. . In honor of this, all Shiva temple management will ceremonially submit the temple keys to Lord Bairava after locking the temple complex at temple closing time and are received from him at opening time. The Lord safeguards the entire temple complex. 

The worship of Kala Bhairava is very important for those living in foreign countries. There's nothing more precious than time. Those who are desirous  to spend, manage or ration their time in a proper manner should pray the Lord Kalabairava. 

Lord Kalabairava is often presented as a folk deity or Grama Devata who safeguards the devotee on all eight directions (ettu tikku) and hi is also considered as the guardian of travelers. 

Those who venture travel especially during  night time should pray for the blessings of the Lord and seek his protection during travel. 

The Tamil Siddhas used to instruct the travelers to offer the garland of cashew nuts and light ghee lamp before commencing the travel.  Lord Bhairava is also known as Vairavar in Tamil. 

Kaala Bhairava Gayatri Mantra

Om Kaalakaalaaya vidhmahey

Kaalaatheethaaya dheemahi

Thanno Kaala Bhairava Prachodhayaath.

Chant this Gayatri mantra 108 times at sunrise and request Lord Kala Bhairava to help you use your time effectively throughout the day.

Namo bhutanatham 
Namo Pretanatham

Namah Kalakalam

Namo runda malam

Namah Kalika 

Premalolam karalam

Namo Bhairavam 

Kasikakshetrapalam

I salute to the Lord of Bhutas and Pretas

I salute to the death of death

I salute to him who wear the garland of skulls

I salute to him who is immersed in Kali's love

I salute to the protector of Varanasi.

Kalabhairava Ashtakam ..Adi Sankaracharya

Devaraja sevyamana pavanagni   pankajam,l
Vyala yagna suthra mindu shekaram krupakaram,ll
Naradadhi yogi vrundha vandhitham digambaram,l
Kasika puradhi nadha Kalabhairavam bhaje ll 1

Bhanu koti bhaswaram, bhavabdhi tharakam param,l
Neelakanda meepsidartha dayakam trilochanam ll
Kalakala mambujaksha maksha soola maksharam,l
Kasika puradhi nadha Kalabhairavam bhaje ll 2
I
Soola tanga pasa danda pani madhi karanam,l
Syama kaya madhi devamaksharam niramayam ll
Bheema vikramam prabhum vichithra thandava priyam,l
Kasika puradhi nadha Kalabhairavam bhaje ll 3

Bhukthi mukthi dayakam prasashtha charu vigraham,l
Bhaktha vatsalam sthitam,samastha loka vigraham ll
Vinikwanan manogna hema kinkini lasath kateem,l
Kasika puradhi nadha Kalabhairavam bhaje ll 4

Dharma sethu palakam, thwa dharma marga nasakam,l
Karma pasa mochakam,susharma dayakam vibhum ll
Swarna varna sesha pasa shobithanga mandalam,l
Kasika puradhi nadha Kalabhairavam bhaje ll 5

Rathna padukha prabhabhirama padayugmakam,l
Nithyamadwidheeyamishta daivatham niranjanam ll
Mrutyu darpa nasanam karaladamshtra mokshanam,l
Kasika puradhi nadha Kalabhairavam bhaje ll 6

Attahasa binna padma janda kosa santhatheem,l
Drushti pada nashta papa jala mugra sasanam ll
Ashtasidhi dayakam kapala malikadaram,l
Kasika puradhi nadha Kalabhairavam bhaje ll 7

Bhootha sanga nayakam, vishala keerthi dayakam,l
Kasi vasa loka punya papa shodhakam vibum l1
Neethi marga kovidham purathanam jagatpathim,l
Kasika puradhi nadha Kalabhairavam bhaje ll 8

Kalabhairavashtakam patanthi yea manoharam,l
Jnana mukthi sadhanam,vichithra punya vardhanam ll
Soka moha dainya lopa kopa thapa nasanam,l
Thea prayanthi Kalabhairavangri saniidhim druvam ll 9

Meaning of the Ashtakam

I sing praise of Kalabhairav, Who is the ruler of the City Kashi, Who is adorned by lotus-feet which is reverred and served by Indra (Devaraj), Who has a Yagya-thread made up of snake, Who has the moon on His forehead, Who is the abode of mercy, Who has been sung by Narad and other celestial singers, and Whose clothes are the directions.||1||

I sing praise of Kalabhairav, Who is the ruler of the city Kashi, Who is resplendent like millions of sun, Who absolves the ocean of cycle of rebirth, Who is supreme, Who has a blue neck, Who bestows us with our desires, Who has three-eyes, Who is the end of Kaal, Who has lotus-like eyes, Who has immortal monodent weapon, and Who is immortal.||2||

I sing praise of Kalabhairav, Who is the ruler of the city Kashi, Who has monodent, spade, a cord and punishment in His hands, Who is the cause behind the beginning, Who has a grey (smeared) body, Who is the first Deva, Who is imperishable, Who is free from illness and health, Who is immensely mighty, Who is the Lord, and Who loves the special Tandava dance.||3||

I sing praise of Kalabhairav, Who is the ruler of the city Kashi, Who is the bestower of desires and salvation, Who has an enticing appearance form, Who is endears His devotees, Who is static, Who takes various manifestations and forms the world, and Who has a beautiful golden waist-thread with small melodious bells.||4||

I sing praise of Kalabhairav, Who is the ruler of the city Kashi, Who is the maintainer of righteousness, Who is the destroyer of unrighteous paths, Who liberates us from the ties of Karma or deeds, Who bestows us with shyness, Who is splendid, and Whose organ-groups are decorated with a beautiful cord of golden color.||5||

I sing praise of Kalabhairav, Who is the ruler of the city Kashi, Who has feet adorned by two sandals made of gold which is possessing a resplendent shine, Who is eternal, Who is induplicable, Who bestows our desires to us, Who is without desires, Who destroys the pride of death (as in is supreme to death), and Who liberates soul by His teeth.||6||

I sing praise of Kalabhairav, Who is the ruler of the city Kashi, Whose loud roar is enough to destroy all the manifestations created by the lotus-born Brahma, Whose (merciful) glance is enough to destroy all the sins, Who is the powerful ruler, Who gives the eight-powers, and Who wears a garland of skull-caps.||7||

I sing praise of Kalabhairav, Who is the ruler of the city Kashi, Who is the leader of the ghosts and spirits, Who showers immense glory, Who absolves people dwelling in Kashi from their sins and righteous deeds, Who is splendor, Who has explained the path of righteousness, Who is eternally old, and Who is the controller of the universe.||8||

Those who studies these eight verses on Kalabhairav which is enticing, which is a source of knowledge and liberation, which increases righteousness of a person, and which destroys grief, attachment, depression, greed, anger an heat will move towards the proximity of the feet of Shiv (Kalabhairav).||9|

Benefits of Chanting the Ashtakam

Every stanza of the ashtakam describes Kala Bhairava, speaks of His greatness and offers salutations. It is recited to make your journey through time or life free from troubles and dangers.

Chanting the Kalabhairava Ashtakam regularly and especially on days dedicated to His worship such as Kalashtami and Kalabhairava Jayanti has manifold benefits. One is recommended to chant the Ashtakam and offer pujas to Kala Bhairava on such auspicious occasions. Some of the benefits of chanting/ listening to this ashtakam are, it

• frees one from the effects of bad karma (committed both in the past and present janma),
  • guides one on the path of dharma, 
  • mitigates the malefic effects of Rahu, Ketu and Shani doshas
  • gets rid of effects of black magic
  • relieves one from long pending unresolved problems
  • bestows one with peace and prosperity
Edited by ltelidevara - 6 years ago