Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Melkor thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago
About Porus and Alexander being of the same age and being born on the same day in this show,well,I believe this is a creative liberty taken by SidT for the purpose of pure entertainment.
It makes it more dramatic to show Alexander and Porus as two sides of the same coin.
Afterall a TV series needs to be entertaining too ๐Ÿ˜›
GrumpyCat thumbnail

As some of us discussed in this forum, it is safe to assume that some of the prime characters in the show may be fictional as very less information  is available about porus family but I've heard that his sons died in the battle (his sons will be shown in the show too as an actor named shane luke mentioned on his social media that he played one of porus' sons in the promo).

Sid Tiwary says they have researched from Greek sources but you are right we cant trust it to be 100% historically correct as most historical shows have fictional elements. 

Moreover I've never read or heard that porus grew up with the dasyu (pirates) and later married a pirate girl Laacchi ๐Ÿ˜† so it definitely seems they have added a bit of fiction in the story in order to make it entertaining.

GrumpyCat thumbnail
I'm not sure whether king parvatak also called parvateshwar (who had a son named malayaketu) and porus are the same person or not. One version of the story is that Malayaketu (army commander of Porus) ascended the throne after porus  was killed by eudemus. Another version is that Malayaketu was son of porus (parvateshwar). 
Meself thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Roxelana

I am very excited for this show, though again this show has fictional elements in it but it is going to show patriotism as its main story so well... here it goes

• Porus's real name was Puru or Purushottam. 
Porus's real name was Parvatkar. His father was Puru. Although his mother is hardly mentioned, she was no way related to Ambhi. Besides Parvatkar was older than Alexander III Macedon.
  • Anusuya is clearly a fictional character and Bamni too.
As I said above, Porus's father was Puru. Bamni I have never read about. There was a dynasty in medieval times in Deccan called Bahamani though.
  • It is mentioned in history Porus was very much in love with his wife and Alexander was not.
Can't be claimed with certainty. We don't know who was Parvatkar's wife as her name hardly comes up. Roxanne was important to Alexander but he wasn't a hearts and flowers kind of guy who would give up his ambition for so and so. Besides I pray to all the gods above that there is goddamn love story here.
  • It is possible that Porus won Battle of Hydaspas if we go by the facts correctly.
Again a fact that cannot be claimed with certainty. Battle of Hydaspes is something shrouded in mystery. The Greek texts claim Alexander to be the victor while Indian writing bring the onus to Parvatkar. Also the immediate alliance between Greeks and Indians and Alexander's subsequent retreat is what has made historians revisit about authecity of the claim that it was Alexander who won the Battle of Hydaspes.
  • Porus's sons lost their lives in battle of Hydaspas (jhelum)
Not true. Parvatkar's son was Malayketu who sided with Chandragupta Maurya in the battle that was led against the Nanda Empire.
  • He was famous in all Europe and India for his bravery.
  • He had a friend called Mereos (Maurya)
  • He had enmity with Taxiles (Ambhi) but due to Alexander's efforts his one daughter was married to him for cooperation between them.
  • It is possible Parvatak who helped chandragupta Maurya in defeating Dhana Nanda was none other than Porus and chanakya killed him by treachery and his son Malayketu though Mudrarakshasa was written decades later. However greek sources say porus was killed by Eudemos again by treachery.
Chankya had Ambhi killed and not Parvatkar. Paurvas were an ally of Mauryans. It was the Taxilities who posed as enemies.
  • Chanakya had contacts with Porus and Ambhi and he was very active in revolt against alexander.

Edited by Meself - 6 years ago
FlauntPessimism thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
I will comment only on the winner of the war part. Since the references of the war which we rely upon are only Greek so we tend to believe them saying that Porus lost but then it becomes a very unrealistic things that immediately after this war Alexander decided to forget his dream to win the world. And other fact that can not be negated is that he died while returning and this was the last battle he fought.
Considering these facts many western historians are now thinking that probably the Greek accounts are not completely accurate (Just like Chand Bardai made Prithvi Raj Chauhan a winner at the end by saying the blind king killed Ghori which is far from truth) 

They are now researching on this fact and are no longer conclusive on who was the winner (that is why the US movies on Alexander don't show him or rather no longer show the result of the war and end it at the part when Alexander was overpowered by Porus)

Thanks you concluded it pretty well
Melkor thumbnail
@Meself,Yo Pitaji!!๐Ÿ˜Ž
Remember me??๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜†Knew I would find you over here๐Ÿค—

P.S.So you finally watched GOT??Can't tell you how happy I am to see Jonerys in your siggyโค๏ธ

Originally posted by: GrumpyCat

I'm not sure whether king parvatak also called parvateshwar (who had a son named malayaketu) and porus are the same person or not. One version of the story is that Malayaketu (army commander of Porus) ascended the throne after porus  was killed by eudemus. Another version is that Malayaketu was son of porus (parvateshwar). 

In most versions that I have read Malayketu was the son of Parvatak and he was contemporary to Chandragupta Maurya making Porus a generation elder but if we go by this show then Chandragupta n Porus should be of the same age.

I am a bit confused
Melkor thumbnail

Originally posted by: FlauntPessimism

In most versions that I have read Malayketu was the son of Parvatak and he was contemporary to Chandragupta Maurya making Porus a generation elder but if we go by this show then Chandragupta n Porus should be of the same age.

I am a bit confused

Actually here is how it goes.
Porus was elder to both Alexander and CGM.Infact CGM was only a kid when Alexander invaded.

Malayketu the son of Porus was a contemporary of CGM.

In this show they did a major Natakiya Rupantar by showing Porus and Alexander being born on the same day.This disrupts the historical flow๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

But I guess it was done to show some soul connection between Puru and Alex๐Ÿ˜†

Originally posted by: --BlackSheep--

Actually here is how it goes.

Porus was elder to both Alexander and CGM.Infact CGM was only a kid when Alexander invaded.

Malayketu the son of Porus was a contemporary of CGM.

In this show they did a major Natakiya Rupantar by showing Porus and Alexander being born on the same day.This disrupts the historical flow๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

But I guess it was done to show some soul connection between Puru and Alex๐Ÿ˜†

The second reason being they don't want to show a middle aged Porus fighting a young dashing Alexander so made this guy young. So Ambhik who was a generation younger to Parvatak becomes his contemporary here
Although CGM was not a kid when Alexander invaded. There are accounts that he in fact worked in the Greek army for a few days to understand their war tactics