TOI Review- Zayed fails to impress

Alikhan2158 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 6 years ago
Siddharth P Malhotra's new show Haasil marks the debut of Bollywood actor Zayed Khan on the small screen. It also sees popular TV stars Nikita Dutta and Vatsal Shethreturning to TV. The finite series which premiered on 30th October did not quite match up to our expectations, given the stellar cast it boasts of.

The show starts on a dark note with a girl thrown out of a car and then raped by a few bikers at night. It then takes on a lighter vein as the next day we see Aanchal (Nikita Dutta) at her home. She is the judge of a culinary competition between her mother and brother. Caught in a fix between the two, she declares both of them winners. It is shown that Aanchal's mother is keen for her to settle down with a man like Ranvir Raichand. And that's how Zayed Khan's character is introduced on the show. So far, so good.

Getting off the plane, Ranvir is an industrialist. He is shown to be loved by the masses who wait with hoardings outside his gate, since the tycoon celebrates his birthday. The special occasion is covered by the media and the viewers see his generous side as he gifts one crore, a flat and sweets amongst his workers. Now this becomes a little too difficult to digest. Like really! Ranvir's brother is quite a stark contrast to his brother. Since he cannot own a yacht that he really wants, he blasts it with a time bomb. Ranvir reprimands him for the act but then lets go. How come is it that easy for him to play around with bombs and then go scot-free?

Aanchal meets the same girl Meenu Mudgal, who had met with an accident at the start of the show. She then reaches the Raichand residence and asks Ranvir to be arrested on account of rape. This shocks everyone as they expect Ranbir to do such an act, not Ranvir. Ranvir's mother (Rati Pandey) threatens Aanchal. However, she remains unfazed and stands by the truth. Later, she gets a call informing her that Ranvir's body has no marks, which clearly indicates he is not the one to have committed the crime. She is asked to meet the caller if she wants to know the truth.

TOP COMMENT

zayed you need to work harder in life. Everything is coming too easy for you.Guru Jojo

The show is exaggerated. The scenes depicting Ranvir Raichand's life are over-the-top. Giving insane amount of wealth to workers on occasions like birthday is unreal and then the yacht scene, too, is out of context. The dialogues of the show are not relatable. Who would say 'Jis cheez par meri nazar hoti hai na, usse aur koi dekh nahi sakta' in this day and age?! The pace of the show is bearable. However, the dark element might not sit too well with the small screen audience. Unnecessary drama and larger-than-life visuals could have been easily avoided.

Zayed Khan has few dialogues in the first episode and sadly, he isn't too convincing. When it comes to the actors it is only Nikita Dutta who does justice to her character and looks somewhat real in this made-up show. Vatsal Sheth is average. Even though it may be too early to judge, this one does not hold much promise.
In Video: TV show Haasil's launch with Zayed Khan, Vatsal Seth and Nikita Dutta

Get latest news & live updates on the go on your pc with News App. Download The Times of India news app for your device.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Almas. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Well i wud say to the writer that Shut up n watch or just DONT
Tahira-2013 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
2 episodes mein article bhi write kar diya 🤔
anyway i think the writer is getting harsh on Zayed, just because one person doesn't emote much doesn't mean he's a bad actor, maybe his character is all about that, maybe RR is expressionless.

Zayed is not playing some simple saas bahu character, jahan pe ek scene mein jail jao aur dusre scene mein itani badhi beard aa jaye, just to prove a point ke dekho bechare pe kitna zulm hua hai, neither does he cry ke maa maine yeh nahi kiya aap toh mera wishwas karo. bechare Ranveer ki toh koi biwi bhi nahi joh sindoor girne se samaj jaye ke uspe koi problem aane wali hai.

Just 2 epis man enjoy the show.
Almas. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Tahira-2013

2 episodes mein article bhi write kar diya 🤔
anyway i think the writer is getting harsh on Zayed, just because one person doesn't emote much doesn't mean he's a bad actor, maybe his character is all about that, maybe RR is expressionless.

Zayed is not playing some simple saas bahu character, jahan pe ek scene mein jail jao aur dusre scene mein itani badhi beard aa jaye, just to prove a point ke dekho bechare pe kitna zulm hua hai, neither does he cry ke maa maine yeh nahi kiya aap toh mera wishwas karo. bechare Ranveer ki toh koi biwi bhi nahi joh sindoor girne se samaj jaye ke uspe koi problem aane wali hai.

Just 2 epis man enjoy the show.

LMAO hilarious thing i read today👏
Tahira-2013 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Almas.

Well i wud say to the writer that Shut up n watch or just DONT

No he wont, some people can't appreciate something new.
anshvi thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
This review is too harsh in my opinion 
I think Zayed firstly is supposed to not emote too much as that his how his character is...Writer himself wrote that he had few dialogues and on basis of that he has passed a judgement which is a tad bit unfair in my opinion...as if the writer had already formed a opinion beforehand. 

Also Haasil is all about being larger than life...so I don't think that was unnecessary at all...Kabir bombed the yacht coz he is shown as impulsive and can do anything out of impulse...this was a larger than life way to establish the basic traits of his character !

Yes 1 crore and flat was a little too much..so no arguments there 😆

But this show is about the larger than life visuals and that is what makes it interesting. 

The pace is fast in my opinion coz otherwise in the first epi only intros are there but here story moved for a change which was refreshing 

Yes the show has a dark theme...Umm...It is supposed to be a thriller and thrillers are dark ! what is wrong in that ! This is not a saas bahu drama 

This genre is different and Indian audiences have seen dark thrillers in the past...even Beyhadh was dark.

I am glad there are makers who are tying to experiment and thus bringing interesting and different concepts...One can keep making Naagin and Machar makhi shows ! 

I am satisfied with the 2 epis and m hooked to the show...All 3 leads are good so far 
Alikhan2158 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I know- don't understand why people r bad mouthing Zayed already- many people r, not just this writer!!
Zayed Khan is actually my far away uncle- I just found out
NiShI678 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
writer of this article is another Kabir 😆
Had they listen to the IV of actors and producer they are delivering what they promised 

this is not going to be a typical story 
darkwarrior200 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
First of all I'll start by saying that i have NEVER been a Zayed Khan fan, not even by 1%, Not even in his biggest hit movie - Main Hoon Na.
BUT 

In this serial, although he didnt impress me all that much, there is one thing about him that hooked me to him - his steel-cold eyes. they are so emotionless yet emoting a lot. What a combo😲 Never expected this from him, this was such a pleasant surprise on his part.

HENCE

It's too early to comment anything about him. Let's just give him the benefit of doubt shall we ?
I have a feeling he wont disappoint 😳
PenguinBaby thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Umm, judgemental much?
In only twenty minutes, this person has studied the whole character so deeply? At least wait a week before making such articles! And I believe that this person hasn't understood the character at all nor has he tried to! This is RV's character! Calm and cool from the outside, a storm and hurricane in the inside! And I'm not saying this because I'm a RVian but because I have seen the show, seen the promos and spent hours analysing them in my mind! And ZK is giving his best! Cut him some slack, it's his first time doing something like this! If they can't encourage him at least don't discourage him! 
RV is a mask. That's it. 
In my opinion, we shouldn't even give importance to such negative things! Support the actors, support the characters, support the show!