Your favourite Hema Malini film?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
DriftInfinitely thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago
The Dream Girl of Bollywood, Hema Malini, turns 69 on 16th October, 2017. ⭐️
Post your favourite scenes, songs, interviews and articles about her here! 🥳

---------------------------------------------
Hema Malini (born 16 October 1948) is an Indian actress, director, producer, dancer and politician. In 1963 she made her acting debut in the Tamil film "Ithu Sathiyam" as a dancer and supporting actress. Malini first acted in a main role in Sapno Ka Saudagar (1968), and went on to feature in numerous Bollywood films, primarily as the lead actress. In most of her films, she starred opposite her husband Dharmendra, Amitabh Bachchan, and with Rajesh Khanna and Dev Anand.Malini was initially promoted as the "Dream Girl", and in 1977 starred in a film of the same name. She has played both comic and dramatic roles, as well as being a dancer. She has appeared in more than 150 films.

During her career, Malini received eleven nominations for the Filmfare Award for Best Actress, winning the award in 1973. In 2000, Malini won the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award and also the Padma Shri, the fourth-highest civilian honour awarded by the Government of India. In 2012, the Sir Padampat Singhania University conferred an Honorary Doctorate on Malini in recognition of her contribution to Indian cinema. Malini served as chairperson of the National Film Development Corporation. In 2006, Malini received the Sopori Academy of Music And Performing Arts (SaMaPa) Vitasta award from Bhajan Sopori in Delhi for her contribution and service to Indian culture and dance. In 2013, she received the NTR National Award from the Government of Andhra Pradesh for her contribution to Indian cinema.

From 2003 to 2009, Malini was elected to the Rajya Sabha, the upper House of parliament, as a representative of the Bharatiya Janata Party. In 2014, Malini was elected to the Lok Sabha. Malini has been involved with charitable and social ventures. Currently, Malini is also a life member of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON). She was the top successful actress of her time. She has been praised by critics for her dancing and acting.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzpKv1b_mhQ[/YOUTUBE]

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okQ-hUubqJU[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFYu3gxF07c[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjcMGcTaRPI[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AKIR2gTCNU[/YOUTUBE]

Hema Malini: 'Life always teaches you, but in silence'

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hindi/bollywood/news/hema-malini-life-always-teaches-you-but-in-silence/articleshow/60446728.cms

TNN | Sep 10, 2017, 11:11 IST

Actor Hema Malini on what life has taught her about love, relationships, and art.

Q. What does happiness mean to you?
Happiness is state of mind.
You need to see the world through your eyes. If you see it from someone else's eye, then it might not look the same. The choice is yours. You can only see the negativity and get depressed or see the same thing and see a silver lining.

Q. What are the dream-girl's dreams right now?
If you see around today, you will notice that age is just a number. People assume that they will retire at 60 and die when they are 70. If you can think positive, live a healthy life, listen to your body and follow a regime, then you can live for 100 years, healthy and happy.

Q. When you were called 'dream girl', was there immense pressure to look good?
I have never done anything consciously. I think I have aged gracefully. 'Dream girl' was suggested by B Ananthswami, who launched me in 'Sapnon ka Saudagar'. Later, the media started tagging me as the 'dream girl' and it got attached to my name.
There is no pressure as such. Also, if one is beautiful from within, it will naturally reflect on his/her face.

Q. You made a bold choice when you married Dharmendra. Would you still make the same choice if you could go back in time?
I would not like to change anything.
Whatever I did, it was my decision. I don't think I was bold. I fell in love with a man, and decided to live my life with him. I think it's romantic and true love.

Q. What makes you keep innovating. Don't you want to sit back and relax?
Age has nothing to do with doing new things. If you have it in you, then you will be able to do it. It's about your will power.

Q. What are the new things you want to learn and do?
I want to learn Sanskrit and do a bhajan album in that language.

Q. What inspires you to live a full life?
I don't look out for opportunities.
They come to me naturally and I accept them as challenges in my life. We all have energies stored, but it's human nature to think that we are not capable of multi-tasking. My gurus taught me that the best way to maintain our outer beauty is to nurture yourself from within.
It's a fact that we will all age. No one can hold the process - but you can delay it by maintaining a restricted lifestyle. You cannot abuse your body and expect it not to change for the worse. I am either reading or meeting various people due to my political commitments. So I keep hearing their stories, which inspires me to do many things in life.

Q. Wha's the secret to your good glowing skin?
That's a secret, na? (Laughs)

Q. What do challenges signify to you?
It means there is a lot more to do in life. And that one shouldn't hang their boots too soon. Life is about walking, and letting destiny decide your retirement day.
I think we all evolve with time - in different ways, due to our individual circumstances in life. And I find this process of human evolution -where we all learn different things -to be quite magical.

Q. How would you define love?
Everything begins with love. Love and passion though are restricted to a certain age, after that it's understanding and compatibility. Eventually, it's respect that matters the most.

Q. What is the secret of a happy marriage in today's world?
I think today's generation is much more understanding and has a better way of handling relationships. We always compare the younger generation with our generation, that's incorrect; their environment is different. The world is constantly evolving around us.

You keep innovating yourself...
It's about your will power. I've just done a bhajan album called 'Gopala ko Samarpan'. Now, I'm busy with bringing Synergy, an Indo-Georgian dance fusion group, that'll present their national ballet, Sukishvili. I was thoroughly impressed with their moves.

Is there any particular way to control the mind?
Initially, it is always the visual beauty that conquers your mind but ultimately, it's your personality and goodness that helps conquer hearts.Unless there is a decent balance, you won't be able to rule your mind.

Q. Life lessons that are important...
Life teaches you, but in silence. Only you know what you are learning.That's the magic.
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA6LgLkOrOM[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuN-kT9PJF8[/YOUTUBE]
Blast from the Past: Hema Malini's Stardust Interview from the sets of Razia Sultan

I'm Immune To Box-Office Now: Hema Malini
Kamaal Amrohi was strolling down the streets of Paris, when his eyes fell on a beautiful painting in a famous art gallery. He stood transfixed at the portrait of a woman, painted by a French artist. She looked Indian, familiar and regal she was Razia Sultan. Kamaal stared at the painting of the Indian queen which adorned an alien wall, and read Immortality' written on her face. He knew instinctively that he had to fly back home and find out enough about this famous historical figure to make a film which would not only live for posterity, but would also make him immortal. He looked at the face again, and there was an instant flicker of recognition she had a striking resemblance to Hema Malini. Kamaal Amrohi had found his Razia Sultan!

A close friend-cum-confidante of Hema Malini once stated that if Razia Sultan, for any reason, bombed, she would be emotionally shattered. I wanted to know if this was true. "Rubbish! she exclaimed. "In this particular film, it's the actress in me which has been satisfied. I don't care whether it's a hit or a flop. As far as I am concerned, I have tasted both flops and hits. I'm immune to box-office now. I know how it is. Films that you think are terrible, click and are considered great hits, and the ones for which you work so hard, and in which you think you have given a good performance, flop. I have enjoyed working for Razia Sultan, and at this stage of my career, I am more bothered to satisfy my urge to act than to get box-office returns. Besides, by the time this releases, I'll be out of the industry, she added matter-of-factly. She winked at me and flashed her smile again.

Did that mean that Razia Sultan would be her last film and that she would gracefully drop the curtain on her career with a film that would immortalise her as Razia Sultan? "How can I say that? she counter-questioned. "Actually, I was advised by my well-wishers to make Meera my last release, but things like these are not possible in our industry, she said and hastily added, "I am tired.
I would love to end it all with this film but ... she broke off and looked vaguely into space. And since buts' are never questioned, especially when they come from Hema Malini, we can only wish Hema gets what she wants.

Just for the information: this interview happened on the sets of Razia Sultan, which was a typical Kamaal Amrohi set; an exquisite, exclusive and expensive replica of the palace of the old Slave Dynasty. The courtyard was filled with warriors on horse-backs with their steel armours glittering in the afternoon sun. Pathans in colourful costumes stood on one side, waving their silk scarves as the war hero, Vijayendra Ghatge, rode in victorious. A mosque stood in a corner. The massive palace gates were thrown open. Guards in red uniforms walked up and down with their baronets. The horses lazed in the sun, their coats shining with sweat.

Sitting in the Diwane-e-Khaas of Razia Sultan's palace, I was trying hard to recall history lessons from school. In the background, I could hear a ghazal in a deep voice. I was lost in the realms of the past. Just then, Kamaal Amrohi walked towards Hema and a warm smile broke on her lips when her director bent low and wished her, "Salaam Walekum, Razia Begum.

"He refuses to call me Hema, she explained. "He insists that everyone calls me Razia, not only on the sets, but also at home! Sitting on the bejeweled throne, she continues, "Just sitting on this throne gives me a terrific feeling. I feel like a shehzadi. Her hovering dress designer interrupted to show Her Highness' her war costume which she was to wear for the next shot. She looked at it and said, "It's nice, with approval and admiration.

Her dress designer bowed and walked away. She then looked at the dress she was wearing and said, "Shamim, the dress designer of this film, is really good. As soon as I get ready for my shot, with my wig and my dress, I change from Hema Malini to Razia Sultan. And then, I forget my real identity. I'm a queen and I behave like one. Once I'm out of the sets, I'm not even Hema Malini, just Hema. With that, she flashed her Hema Malini' smile. "A true actress should be good at switching on and switching off otherwise, if she lives her part even after pack-up, she will go mad in no time. Can you imagine me going around town relieving the role of Razia Sultan? People will throw stones at me.

While she signed autographs for a few fans, I pictured Razia Sultan with a feather and an ink-pot, signing royal charters. "All my costumes are simple. I don't wear jewellery while Parveen Babi wears beautiful dresses and a lot of ornaments, she said. I asked her if she would have preferred to wear attractive costumes and if she feared being overshadowed, and she replied, "I'll stand out with my simplicity. Everyone around me will be richly dressed except me, so I will get more attention. Of course, the credit for all this should go to Kamaal saab.

When told that most heroines feel that she was lucky to bag the role, she beams, "Oh yes! I consider myself extremely fortunate to have been selected for this, especially at this stage of my career. Working with Kamaal saab is wonderful. He's not only a good director, but a unique filmmaker. It's fascinating how much he knows about the subject he's dealing with. Pointing to her dress, she continues, "Can you hema2believe it? He goes to the market to buy the material for our costumes.

Hema feels that Razia's role was an open challenge thrown in her direction to prove her acting talent. The way Raj Kapoor accepted Zeenat Aman's challenge as his own while filming Satyam Shivam Sundaram, Kamaal accepted Hema's challenge as his own. He personally wanted Hema to make her own study of Razia by reading up history. But he realised she was a busy star and he couldn't expect her to do the homework. Eventually, he studied Razia Sultan in such depths that he says, "I feel I've known Razia all my life! He moulded Hema according to his knowledge.

"I've left it in his hands. I do what my director wants me to do, she says, adding, "If I'd read some books on Razia, my conception could have differed from Kamaal saab's. Our views would have conflicted, and created problems. So, don't you think it's best this way? Not that Hema didn't work on her character; she devoted time to listen to Kamaal Amrohi's tapes of her Urdu dialogue and improve her diction. It helped that he had shortened and simplified her lines, leaving no scope for her south Indian accent to creep in.

Hema cautiously didn't claim that. She instead said, "Razia is the best and biggest film ever made. This is a role of a life-time. It can make one immortal. Optimistically, she added, "This film will go down in the history of Indian cinema. People who'd seen the rushes felt Hema was not only terrific, but the role also fitted her like a glove. The film so far was made beautifully, and it was a surefire hit.

I asked her if it would be a personal victory for her if this film became a hit, and she says, "No. Everyone is working hard, so how can I possibly take it as a personal victory? It will be a victory for all of us.

Kamaal, who shares the ambition, knows that a lot of Razia Sultan's future depends on Hema. He said, "I've already warned Hema that the responsibility of the film lies on her shoulders. All the critics, especially the Muslims, will be sitting in the theatres, waiting for her to make one small mistake, and if they find even one word mispronounced, they'll tear her apart with their criticism. But if on the other hand, she can win over their sympathy and their emotions as the film proceeds, she'll get the loudest acclaim, and a thunderous applause. This will be the best performance of her career!

https://tanqeed.com/blast-from-the-past-hema-malinis-stardust-interview-from-the-sets-of-razia-sultan/
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJZ-vXd6Sx4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-f8tROLwlE[/YOUTUBE]
Hema Malini's biography is releasing on her birthday this year! The foreword has been written by Narendra Modi.

Hema Malini Verified account @dreamgirlhema  Oct 14

I am truly honoured that Narendra Modiji has penned the foreword to my biography.

40 replies 57 retweets 511 likes
Reply 40   Retweet 57   Like 511    

-----------------------------------------
Here's the cover:

And an excerpt:

Exclusive: When a drunk Dharmendra landed up at Hema Malini and Jeetendra's wedding

Actor Hema Malini's biography, Beyond The Dream Girl, will be out on October 16, her birthday. Here's an exclusive excerpt from the book revealing how Hema almost' married actor Jeetendra.

Truth was, Hema was intensely in love with Dharmendra by then, as was he with her. When Jaya got a whiff of the situation, not surprisingly, she raised hell, but this time she held no sway. For the first time in her life, Hema kept the relationship a secret from her parents and did everything she could to keep meeting him. Once, to the horror and utter disbelief of her family, she disappeared for an entire day. When she came back, they were too relieved to rebuke her, but Jaya increased her watch over them. The couple had little choice but to restrict their meetings to film sets, which was often enough, since they were doing so many movies together by then. It was about now that Jaya felt that getting Hema married seemed the only way out of the situation. She didn't need to look too far. At the time, Hema was working with Jeetendra on two films Dulhan (1974) and Khushboo (1975) and it was obvious that the two got along famously. Jeetendra also had a soft corner for Hema and had been pursuing her for a while. When Hema consistently showed disinterest, he finally made peace and the two settled on becoming good friends.

Over the years, Hema and Jeetendra grew to become each other's confidantes. Hema, in fact, was one of the few who had known about his affair with Mumtaz. But although theirs was a platonic friendship, Dharmendra was never happy about it. It is believed that he had always been suspicious of Jeetendra, and being the possessive lover he was, he once went as far as to storm on to the sets of a Hema Jeetendra production and drag Hema into the makeup room in a rage, while the latter stood dumbfounded. Meanwhile, Jaya kept working on her plans. Every day was spent convincing her daughter to marry Jeetendra. She managed to coax Hema to meet his parents, and once Hema did, things started spiralling. Jeetendra's family was ecstatic they could hardly wait for the alliance. A close friend of Jeetendra's remembers him saying, I don't want to marry Hema. I am not in love with her. She is not in love with me. But my family wants it, so I might as well. And she is such a good girl.'

For all practical purposes, it was to be a marriage of convenience. It had to be quick before either party changed its mind and it had to be a clandestine affair, so that no untoward trouble' could take place. Hema, Jeetendra and their families had flown to Madras and the wedding was supposed to happen there. But an evening daily got a whiff of the sensational news and their next issue carried the big story'. It left much of the industry in a state of disbelief but more importantly, it gave Dharmendra a jolt he was clearly unprepared for. Recovering his wits quickly, he rushed to Shobha Sippy's house then Jeetendra's airhostess girlfriend and the two took the next flight to Madras to take matters into their hands.

When they reached Hema's house in Madras, the scene, ironically, was no less dramatic than a blockbuster. Hema's father couldn't contain his rage and almost physically pushed Dharmendra out of the house. Why don't you get out of my daughter's life? You are a married man, you can't marry my daughter,' he repeatedly yelled. But a pleading, helplessly sentimental and slightly inebriated Dharam could not be budged. Finally, they agreed to let him talk to Hema alone in a room, while everybody else Hema's parents, Jeetendra's parents and the registrar of the marriage bureau waited outside on tenterhooks.

Inside the room, the two were going through an emotional turmoil of catastrophic proportions. Dharmendra, distraught and on the verge of falling to pieces, kept begging Hema not to make such a big mistake'. Outside, it was Shobha's turn to give vent to her rage. When a nonchalant Jeetendra announced to Shobha his decision to marry Hema, apparently all hell broke loose.

When Hema finally came out of the room puffy-eyed and visibly shaken her voice quivered as she asked everyone if they could wait for a few days. Jeetendra and his parents, livid by now, declared that that was not an option. The marriage had to happen now or never. As everyone waited desperately for an answer, Hema quietly shook her head. The insult was far too much for Jeetendra and he stormed out of the house with his parents.

This is excerpted from Hema Malini: Beyond The Dream Girl, authored by Ram Kamal Mukherjee. The book published by HarperCollins releases October 16.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/books/exclusive-book-excerpt-when-a-drunk-dharmendra-landed-up-at-hema-malini-and-jeetendra-s-wedding/story-caxdWsJHUOuFvyAkP95zZO.html

Edited by DriftInfinitely - 6 years ago
Amrita thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3