Tenali Rama

Info on Maharani Tirumala Devi aka Tirumalamba [updated]

mystic786 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago

So I wanted to share this info on Krishnadevaraya's wife Tirumala Devi, who has been shown as the junior wife in the show. This is wrong. She was actually Krishnadevaraya's senior wife and his chief queen as well as the mother of his heir-apparent. 

Chinna Devi , a courtesan, was his junior wife. But Contiloe have shown the opposite and I have absolutely no idea why. They're showing a courtesan as his senior wife and chief queen. It's disgusting. πŸ˜‘😑😑

Tirumala Devi (also known as Tirumalamba)[4] was the senior wife and chief queen[4][5][6] (patta mahishi) of Emperor Krishnadevaraya, who is considered to be the greatest ruler of the Vijayanagara Empire.[7][8] She was also the most honoured wife of Krishnadevaraya,[9] and the mother of his heir-apparent, Prince Tirumala.[5]

By birth, Tirumala Devi was a princess of Srirangapattana, a sub-kingdom of the Vijayanagara Empire, which was ruled by her father King Veerappodeya.

Marriage

Tirumala Devi was one of the daughters of King Veerappodeya, who ruled Srirangapattana. She was married to Krishnadevaraya most probably in 1498 and was crowned as his chief empress upon his accession to the Vijayanagra throne in 1509. Tirumala Devi lived on apparently for the entire period of her husband's reign and accompanied him constantly. She also played a dominant role during this period as the chief empress and accompanied Krishnadevaraya during his military campaigns, including the Kalinga war.[10]

Tirumala Devi was very much interested in poetry. She had her own treasury, her own female servants and she had complete independence, she was also a great devotee and a great donor. As she was Krishnadevaraya's favourite, she enjoyed all the power and privileges in the court.

Nandi Thimmana (popularly known as Mukku Timmana), the celebrated Telugu poet and one of the Astadiggajas at Krishnadevaraya's court, was a gift from Tirumala Devi's father to his son-in-law. Mukku Timmana was the second great poet of the royal court after Allasani Peddana. His life-work Parijatapaharana (which occupies a very high place in Telugu literature) was dedicated to Krishnadevaraya and composed to resolve a fight between Krishnadevaraya and Tirumala Devi.[11]

Tirumala Devi was the most honoured wife of Krishnadevaraya.[9] The suburb of Tirumala-devi pattana (around the present Sannakki Veerabhadra temple in Hospet) was laid out during the reign of Krishnadevaraya in honour of Tirumala Devi,[12] while Nagalpura was named after Krishnadevaraya's mother Nagala Devi.[13]

Issue

Tirumala Devi bore Krishnadevaraya three children: a daughter and two sons. The daughter, Tirumalamba married Araviti Ranga's son, Ramaraya who, after the marriage, came to be known as Aliya Rama Raya.[14]

Tirumala, the eldest son and heir-apparent was born in 1518. On this occassion, Krishnadevaraya and Tirumala Devi paid a visit to Venkateswara Temple in Tirumala on 16 October 1518. The prince, however, died young. The death of his heir seems to have greatly unsettled Krishnadevaraya and the last five years of his reign were somewhat disturbed and unhappy on this account, during which period the administration was carried on, in his name, by his brother Achyuta Deva Raya.[15] 

One more son was born to Tirumala Devi towards the end of Krishnadevaraya's life time. His name was according to some sources, Ramachandra. He also died young, at the age of eighteen months.[14]

Philanthropy

A highly religious woman, Tirumala Devi is known for her religious and charitable donations to various temples in South India. In 1514, Tirumala Devi presented a costly Chakrapadakam to Venkateswara Temple in Tirumala and granted Pirattikulattur village for five Tirupponakam offerings to be made daily.[16]

Dowager empress

As dowager empress Tirumala Devi proposed to crown Rama Raya as 'Son-in-law Regnant'.[17]

Edited by mystic786 - 6 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Therealbiggboss thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
OK
It's not good to show wrong history
But this is contiloe show and they keep playing with history(remember Ashoka serial)
But I am not keeping check on these things as this is comedy show
I am just enjoying it
DurgaS thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Thanks for the info. I was having my doubts that Chinnadevi, as the name suggests must have been the younger queen. Also, it's odd watching Tathacharya, a staunch Vaishnavaiite, uttering Lord Shiva's name. These are small but important points. 
But this is not the first time such mistakes have been made in historical tv shows. There have even been characters added about whom we've never read before. 

Anyway, in spite of these errors, compared to other shows, Tenali Rama is a better watch. 
mainkyanaamdoon thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Thanks for the info. Nice to learn things like this.
Actually I think chinna devi was his wife as there is supposed to be a statue with both his wives

Edited by mainkyanaamdoon - 6 years ago
mystic786 thumbnail
I don't think you read the info properly πŸ˜†

Chinna Devi was Krishnadevaraya's wife but she was his junior wife not his senior wife. She was also a courtesan not royalty.

Tirumala Devi, who was a princess, was his chief queen and his senior wife. They've shown the opposite thing in the show.

Originally posted by: mainkyanaamdoon

Actually I think chinna devi was his wife as there is supposed to be a statue with both his wives

Originally posted by: mystic786

I don't think you read the info properly πŸ˜†

Chinna Devi was Krishnadevaraya's wife but she was his junior wife not his senior wife. She was also a courtesan not royalty.

Tirumala Devi, who was a princess, was his chief queen and his senior wife. They've shown the opposite thing in the show.

Oops my bad! sorry I didnt read that you had mentioned junior wife. just read the word courtesanπŸ˜ƒ.
But in a way glad that I did as I got to research a bit and found this photo. Quite an interesting read 
Ashi_ thumbnail
Ya right, But Here in the show thay have made a mockery of the Royal queen Tirumalamba and her charecter too shown dumb when compared to chinnadevi. Edited by Ashi_ - 6 years ago
mystic786 thumbnail
Exactly. They've made a mockey out of Krishnadevaraya's most honoured wife and his chief queen. πŸ˜‘😑 How can they even compare Tirumala, a princess, to a courtesan like Chinna? And they're actually glorifying Chinna πŸ˜‘😑 This maybe a comedy show but why the hell did they do this? 

Originally posted by: Ashi_

Ya right, But Here in the show thay have made a mockery of the Royal queen Tirumalamba and her charecter too shown dumb when compared to chinnadevi.

mystic786 thumbnail
Yeah, I read that her name actually means "younger" and "petty", do you know the Kannada language? πŸ˜Š @bold Yes, it's not the first time that this has happened but why did they do this? It's absolutely ridiculous. They've even given a fake royal lineage to Chinna, a courtesan, her brother is a "Rajkumar" and whatnot. It's laughable. 🀣

Other films and TV series on Tenali Rama have rightly shown only Tirumala Devi as Krishnadevaraya's chief queen. It's only Contiloe who've made this blunder. 

Tenali Rama's concept, sets, visuals, actors etc. are brilliant, as always is the case with Contiloe shows but honestly the show is turning out to be a drag and has too many filler episodes. It really gets annoying. Only some episodes are worth watching. 

Originally posted by: DurgaS

Thanks for the info. I was having my doubts that Chinnadevi, as the name suggests must have been the younger queen. Also, it's odd watching Tathacharya, a staunch Vaishnavaiite, uttering Lord Shiva's name. These are small but important points. 

But this is not the first time such mistakes have been made in historical tv shows. There have even been characters added about whom we've never read before. 

Anyway, in spite of these errors, compared to other shows, Tenali Rama is a better watch.