Raun1245 thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago
With the initial reviews of Jab Harry Met Sejal looking not so positive, I am bound to think about the direction and storytelling of Imtiaz Ali.
Just yesterday I wrote an article on how he uses the same story but presents it differently each time and that is his magic (https://thecinephile20.wordpress.com/2017/08/03/imtiaz-ali-the-enigma/). But after reading the reviews, I wonder whether that is what the reason was for his failure. What do you think?

PS: I am using the term 'failure' based on just the initial reviews, so don't chastise me. 
Edited by Raun1245 - 6 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

desigal90 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
I think Imtiaz has really drifted away. As he drifted away from from the idea of marriage and love in his personal life, it started reflecting in his stories. The main characters seem ever more inclined to cheat, ever more rebellious. Also with each passing film, the element of "family" has gotten more scarce. 
I think his best work was Jab We Met and Socha Na Tha, and both these films had a very strong "family" element to them. The families were shown for both characters and that helps audience members really identify with characters. 
LegolasGondolin thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Iam shocked seeing the reviews, almost everyone has said its Imtiaz's worst film to date. 
The problem could be due to his over affinity to the set pattern of strangers meeting and embarking on a journey,them discovering their true selves, falling in love, other problems that pull them down. Its a mess.
The biggest problem with JHMS is that the characters dont seem real and the story also seems very un imtiaz like as per reviews. It just doesn't have any depth to it or a backstory Most of the reviews mentioned Sejal's character is problematic and it all seems a little forced.

I guess Imtiaz tried hard to gel SRK into his set pattern apart from JWM, Imtiaz films are always targeted at a certain set of audience not essentially a commercial one. He tries to bring in a loot commercial elements but falters.
briahna thumbnail

confused.

but happy he gave me jwm ❤️

Supari_khala thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 11 Thumbnail + 7
He has two good films JWM & SNT. Everything else is crap. Again, Highway was presented on TV 15 years or so before he became a director so I don't count that even though its a good film. 
He's a one trick pony post JWM.

Imtiaz Ali (born 16 June 1971) is an Indian film director and writer. He started his career with writing and directing television shows. He directed shows like Imtehaan, Naina and Kurukshetra. In 2005 he made his directorial debut with Socha Na Tha, that did not do well. Then he earned critical and commercial success for his direction of Jab We Met(2007). Love Aaj Kal (2009) and Rockstar (2011) made him known amongst youngsters.
Imtiaz Ali was born in Jamshedpur.[2] He traces his origins to Darbhanga.[3] He was brought up in Patnaand Jamshedpur.[4][5] His father Mansoor Ali did irrigation jobs. As a child he would sometimes accompany him which gave Imtiaz a view of what was going on in the innards of India.[6] He had his early education in St. Michael's High School, Patnaand later in D.B.M.S. English School,Jamshedpur,[7][8][9] He is the brother of director Arif Ali (who made his directional debut with the filmLekar Hum Deewana Dil).
Chudailpaapi thumbnail
JHMS should have been made with younger actor. No offense to SRK who has boatload of charisma but also has great deal of life experience. He can't be self doubting where as Imitiaz is following an arc where his character need to get the angst out of them.

JHMS was a closure to an arc that started with SNT and ended with JHMS protagonist returning back home. I guess like Ranbir, Imitiaz was ready to hang the mantle of man child and he needed some one from age group of Abhay/Shahid/Ranbir to close the arch. Even Saif would have worked. SRK was much too foreign and self assured to suit Ali's style.

Every successive movie, his character was drifting away from family, filled with self doubt and searching for something and finding love in process. With JHMS he finally reached back home.

Highway was not part of the set. So can't be included. 😳
Ranjali thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Besides JWM & Highway I never liked any of imtiaz ali's work. Tamasha was boring. So I had no hopes on JHMS. 
Manavi_kesari thumbnail
IPL 2023 Participants 3 Thumbnail Anniversary 12 Thumbnail + 4
who is dis ali?he is also human being after all,so poor soul may be on world tour n working after all after so many yrs of serving d society may be ,how hard working he is sacrificing his precious world tour for mango viewers entertainment   😆 oops 😭 he must be honoured with dada saheb phurr awardEdited by Eternal_Way - 6 years ago
BollyPC thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 8
An overrated director making the same repetitive movies over and over again. Sounds a lot like SRK. 😆