The Stories of Nar Narayan Why did Krishna love Arjuna that much?

ltelidevara thumbnail
Visit Streak 1000 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 6 years ago
The story of Nar Narayan from Maha Bhagawata

The Story of Sahasra Kavacha From Maha Bhagawata
King Dambodbhava did severe penance to please Suryadev.
Suryadev appeared before him." I am immensely pleased with your powerful penance. Ask any boon."He told Dambodbhav.

The King immediately asked." I want to be immortal.Grace me please."
Suryadev clarified." Dambodbhav, None can become immortal. Impossible."

Dambodbhav thought for a while.He then asked." Then grant me one thousand armours.My armour can be broken only if the person did penance for one thousand years. So if he has to break my one thousand armours he should do one thousand year penance for one thousand times. If any one breaks my armour he should die immediately."

Suryadev repented Now he could not escape without giving the boon. And he is sure that the king will use his invincibility for wrong purposes. Still he granted the boon. Then onwards Dambodbhava was called Sahasra Kavach.

Surya Dev was right. Dambodbhav became arrogant and started troubling noble people. He challenged many and defeated them with his might.

Those were the times when Daksha's daughter Murty married Dharma and got Twins.Nar and Narayan.Vishnu incarnated in two forms.The twins grew together and learnt the art of warfare.
They are always devoted to Sankar Shiv and worshipped him daily.
They lived in a hermitage in Badarivan and meditated .

Dambodbhav came to Badari van and started harassing people who live there. The residents of Badari Van complained to Nar Narayan." Save us from that wicked king." They pleaded with them.

Nar got up and went to Dambodbhava. He challenged him" King I challenge you to fight with me"
Dambodbhav looked at the tall dark person with magnetic eyes.He ridiculed him." Sage! You look young in age.You want to die so early?

Nara smiled and said." You better collect all your weapons. You need them very much."
Dambodbhava was irked by Nara's confidence.

The battle started and the king realised the superiority of his opponent. After one thousand years,Nara broke one armour of the King.

Dambodbhava laughed wickedly. He still have 999kavachas. But Nar will no more have life to fight with him.He was elated. Nar fell down dead.
Narayan ran towards Nar. Dambodbhav teased him." Your brother is a fool to break one armour of mine he lost his life.

Narayan was unperturbed. He closed his eyes and chanted mantras.Within minutes Nar got up as if from sleep.Dambodbhav could not believe his eyes. How could Narayan's penance help Nar break the armour? Even more shocking is the power of Narayan that brought back Nar's life.
Dambodbhav did not realise that Nar and Narayan have one soul though in different bodies.

This time Narayan fought and Nar did penance. When Narayan fell after breaking the armour Nar revived him again.

999 armours were broken by Nar and Narayan.Dambodbhav was left with only one armour.
He was horrified. He ran for his life. He went and hid himself in Surya lok.
That was the time when Treta yug ended and gave way to Dwapar yug.

Sahasra Kavach took birth as Karna with the grace of Surya Dev,
Nar Narayan also have to take birth and they graced the earth as Arjun and Krishna.
Destiny brought them face to face with their rival.

Indra took away the armour of Karna as his son can not do penance for one thousand years to break the armour in this birth.

Kurukshetr witnessed the way The death of Karna happened .
Nar Narayan fulfilled their unfinished work.

PS; In some versions only Nar fights and Narayan does penance.

In Mahabharata,Udyoga Parva Parasurama mentions Dambodhbhava story briefly.

Lakshmi. ( To be continued)
Edited by ltelidevara - 6 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

wayward thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8
The story of Nara-Narayana is really divine! Thank you for sharing it with us here!
ltelidevara thumbnail

Originally posted by: Radhikerani

The story of Nara-Narayana is really divine! Thank you for sharing it with us here!

Thanks Protiti . If I can call you so. It is my pleasure to praise the glory of Nar Narayan.
wayward thumbnail
^Sure! Can't wait for the next part. :)
ltelidevara thumbnail
[Sorry Double post.Edited by ltelidevara - 6 years ago
ltelidevara thumbnail
"Who are Nar Narayan? 

Mahabharat Santiparva answers this question. This was told to Yudhishtir by Bhishma who was on the bed of arrows.
Bhishma says that he heard this story from Narad .

Daksha's daughter Murty married Dharma in Kritayug.Narayan the supreme soul took birth to them in four forms. Nar,Narayan,Hari and Krishna.

Of them Nar and Narayan went to Badari van and engaged themselves in severe austerities. 
Badari van existed on Gandha Madhan mountain.

The Devine sage Narada visited them and was awestruck on seeing the splendour of the twin sages.
He wondered what could be the fruit of their penance. They themselves are Narayan Ansh. 
When he asked the same question Narayan Rishi replied that they concentrate on the supreme soul,the Param Purush Narayan and the purpose of their penance is welfare of the universe.

Nar and Narayan hence are Vishnu's Ansh roop. They look so good and are brahmacharis.
Both of them took birth as Arjun and Krishna to remove the burden of the earth.

Interestingly Narayan knows their reality but Nar doesn't know.

Reason is through Narayan the Supreme soul Vishnu descended on earth as Krishna the complete incarnation.

Lakshmi.
wayward thumbnail
^That is so very interesting!
ltelidevara thumbnail
The Birth Of Urvasi

The penance of Nar and Narayan created fear in Indra. He thought they may cause him dethroned. So as is his habit he called Kama Dev ,Vasant and he himself accompanied them to
Badarivan.He also took apsaras to disturb their penance. As soon as they reached apsaras started
dancing much to the irritation of Nar who fumed at them.

Once Narayan saw all three of them coming he treated all of them with respect. As he was aware of the reasons for their arrival, he decided to give them a surprise. He made the figure of a beautiful woman on his thigh with a flower. The next moment, the figure transformed into a live woman, which surprised all of them.

For Kamadev, the beautiful woman resembled his wife Rati. He became so infatuated by her beauty that he forgot about the actual purpose of his visit. Vasant and all the Apsaras stood mesmarised. Everybody who had come with the desire of victory had actually become a victim.She was called Urvashi,as she was created from the uru,thigh.

Seeing all of them surprised and amazed, Narayan told them that the beautiful woman was created by him from his thigh. He also instructed them to take away that beautiful woman to heaven. Kamadev and Vasant  realised Narayan's power. They became terrified. They went back to heaven accompanied by Urvashi.  Even Indra was stupefied.In a short time, the amazing deeds of Narayan spread in all the directions and the various lokas.

Prahlada's fight with Nar Narayan

Once, Prahlada- the son of demon King Hiranyakashipu asked sage Chyavan about the most revered and sacred place of pilgrimage in the whole world. Sage Chyavan told him about Naimisharanya- the most sacred place of pilgrimage on the earth. Prahlada visited Naimisharanya accompanied by many other demons. 

After reaching there, all of them took bath in a river. While roaming about in the forest  Prahlada saw the trunk of a tree pierced with numerous arrows. Not far from the tree, he saw two hermits doing penance. Two divine bows and a pair of quiver were lying by the side.

Prahlada was confused as to why the hermits would require weapons. He revealed his thoughts to the hermits. Both the hermits replied that a person who works according to his capabilities, earns respect. Nar said they can do penance and handle intruders as well.

Prahlada became angry at their reply. He asked them  what skills they possessed in warfare.Both of them told Prahlada that they are  invincible and nobody could defeat them in battle. Prahlada's anger crossed all limits. A tremendous battle ensued between Prahlada and Nar-Narayan.

Years passed but Prahlad could not defeat them. He who is a Vishnu devotee went to Vaikuntha and asked the Lord why he was unable to defeat those hermits.

Vishnu smiled and enlightened him." Prahlad!  in a way you tried to defeat me. Is it possible for you? Those hermits are my anshavtar. They are one soul in two bodies. And that soul is me know it as the fact. No one can defeat them. They will take up the task of removing the burden of Earth in Dwaparyug. I will manifest myself completely through Narayan while Nar,who is my alter ego will take birth as my accomplice. They will be inseparable and invincible."

Prahlad went back and begged pardon before Nar Narayan. The twin sages blessed him with a smile.

Salutations to the supreme power that got devided into two forms.

Lakshmi
Edited by ltelidevara - 6 years ago
wayward thumbnail
Wow! I never knew about the Prahlad bit!
SilverBell thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Wow Very Interesting.
Thanks For Sharing The Amazing Story Here.
I Learned Something New.