Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

How did Shammi Kapoor gain weight so quick?

Posted: 6 years ago
His last movie as hero was Andaz in 1971, he was a bit over weight in it, but nothing extra ordinary, then he took a 3 year break and came back in 1974, in those 3 years, he gained over 200 LBS, his overall weight reached over 400 LBS and people started calling him Hathi Kapoor, what exactly happened during those 3 years? he remained obese for the rest of his life till 2011 when he died
Edited by Mard - 6 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Anachronist thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
He ate burger , chicken tikka masala , tasty tasty khaana and uske alwa jam ke soya , dopahar mein khas kar toh ho gaya mota . Tum bhi try karo ðŸ˜›
Justmoi thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
1. Have a seance
2. Call his spirit
3. Ask

🤔
ZestyZeniaZetas thumbnail
this is from one of his interview..

He also made a successful transition from leading man to character actor. "I started life anew. Got married again. I lost my parents. I started acting again. For two years nearly, I didn't act. I closed shop.

"Had I continued as a hero, trying to still do it-which I couldn't, I started putting on weight and I had broken my knees many times. Whenever I had a knee job to be done, we didn't have surgery in those days, but you had these Indian plaster lagaanewaleyroj plaster lagata tha, I would lie in bed and drink beer in the afternoon, get up in the evening, have a drink. There was no other choice, I couldn't walk. My transformation happened from there, because I started putting on weight. I couldn't do what I was popular for doing and what I enjoyed doing. I never had any pretensions of being a very good actor. But I am a very good performer with my music. Basically I'm an expressionist of what the music contained. I never had a choreographer or dance master going one-two-three-four. Even I didn't know what I was going to do. I gave it a lot of thought, then I worked on it."

(Later, he invites us into his computer room, to see his impressive multiple hard disk twin-monitor set-up. He boots up and from one screen, flips a video over to the other. The Chaand Sa Roshan Chehra' song from Kashmir Ki Kalipours out over the speakers. "See?" he says, "I'm not dancing. But I'm expressing every beat of the song. Most of my songs were like that." And, indeed, he is very literally rocking the boat, in time to the beat! He bolsters the point with the Aasman Se Aaye Farishta' from Evening in Paris, where, as Sharmila Tagore water-skis', he spends most of his screen time either dangling from a helicopter or on the prow of a speedboat, moving all the time.)

"So when I stopped enjoying that, I said there's no sense. I'll end up uselessly doing side roles and be very unhappy. So I closed shop and said, Finished, I will not act any more.'

It gave me a chance to be near my parents. My father and mother both had cancer. And my brothers were both very busy. Rajji was busy after Mera Naam Joker; he was making Bobby. Shashi had just got stardom: he was like a taxi, he had signed so many movies, two, three shifts a day.

I had time, and I spent it with my parents. I travelled to Juhu practically every evening to listen to the BBC news at eight with my father. I would have a drink with him, keep him company, and that's how I served him, it gave me a chance to be near to them."

"After they died, I started a new chapter in my life. I started directing. Irma La Douce, I made that as Manoranjan. And I started my career again as a character actor. I enjoyed doing it. I got a very good chance of working with some very wonderful people. With Dilip Kumar. With Raj Kapoor, my brother, I had never had a chance working with him until I became a character actor.

"So it was a different color all together. A good color that happened in my life, a good chapter. Till this happened. 2003. Both my kidneys.

"My passion for cars is fantastic. I haven't driven a car in the past four months because I lost a lot of toes on my feet. But I've been driving otherwise. I gave myself the best car possible. I used to take my grandchildren for a movie, drive down to Lonavala, my wife would call, asking where are you by the way?' I would say, At Lonavala, having a cup of coffee at Fariyas!' I've been doing that and I love to do that and I'll continue to do that if I can. That's the short story of my life."

chahat4u thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Even though this topic seems to have been made on just another curious note. But still, since this pertains to a deceased person, this is in a bad taste for me. Besides Shammi ji was full of life till his last breath. What with making informative videos on YouTube, connecting with fans and all, loving life. I don't think he deserved or even now deserves a topic like this. On a lighter note though, Kapoors' love for food is well known. 
chahat4u thumbnail
I'd rather focus on  his positives;e.g., the informative personal YouTube videos he left for us as a legacy. 
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOwwUKPodBs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymiF4es7DaM[/YOUTUBE]
Originally posted by: chahat4u

Even though this topic seems to have been made on just another curious note. But still, since this pertains to a deceased person, this is in a bad taste for me. Besides Shammi ji was full of life till his last breath. What with making informative videos on YouTube, connecting with fans and all, loving life. I don't think he deserved or even now deserves a topic like this. On a lighter note though, Kapoors' love for food is well known. 

no doubt, this is what amazes me about him, all through his obese years, he was so happy and positive about life, no wonder he actually lived till 80, despite the fact he was obese since his early 40's, if he was depressed, he would have passed long ago. Shammi Kapoor was a very inspirational person, whenever I think of him, my mind starts thinking positively, we could all learn from him so much. For me, he will always be Shri Shammi Kapoor!
Edited by Mard - 6 years ago
Originally posted by: MinzPie

this is from one of his interview..

He also made a successful transition from leading man to character actor. "I started life anew. Got married again. I lost my parents. I started acting again. For two years nearly, I didn't act. I closed shop.

"Had I continued as a hero, trying to still do it-which I couldn't, I started putting on weight and I had broken my knees many times. Whenever I had a knee job to be done, we didn't have surgery in those days, but you had these Indian plaster lagaanewaleyroj plaster lagata tha, I would lie in bed and drink beer in the afternoon, get up in the evening, have a drink. There was no other choice, I couldn't walk. My transformation happened from there, because I started putting on weight. I couldn't do what I was popular for doing and what I enjoyed doing. I never had any pretensions of being a very good actor. But I am a very good performer with my music. Basically I'm an expressionist of what the music contained. I never had a choreographer or dance master going one-two-three-four. Even I didn't know what I was going to do. I gave it a lot of thought, then I worked on it."

(Later, he invites us into his computer room, to see his impressive multiple hard disk twin-monitor set-up. He boots up and from one screen, flips a video over to the other. The Chaand Sa Roshan Chehra' song from Kashmir Ki Kalipours out over the speakers. "See?" he says, "I'm not dancing. But I'm expressing every beat of the song. Most of my songs were like that." And, indeed, he is very literally rocking the boat, in time to the beat! He bolsters the point with the Aasman Se Aaye Farishta' from Evening in Paris, where, as Sharmila Tagore water-skis', he spends most of his screen time either dangling from a helicopter or on the prow of a speedboat, moving all the time.)

"So when I stopped enjoying that, I said there's no sense. I'll end up uselessly doing side roles and be very unhappy. So I closed shop and said, Finished, I will not act any more.'

It gave me a chance to be near my parents. My father and mother both had cancer. And my brothers were both very busy. Rajji was busy after Mera Naam Joker; he was making Bobby. Shashi had just got stardom: he was like a taxi, he had signed so many movies, two, three shifts a day.

I had time, and I spent it with my parents. I travelled to Juhu practically every evening to listen to the BBC news at eight with my father. I would have a drink with him, keep him company, and that's how I served him, it gave me a chance to be near to them."

"After they died, I started a new chapter in my life. I started directing. Irma La Douce, I made that as Manoranjan. And I started my career again as a character actor. I enjoyed doing it. I got a very good chance of working with some very wonderful people. With Dilip Kumar. With Raj Kapoor, my brother, I had never had a chance working with him until I became a character actor.

"So it was a different color all together. A good color that happened in my life, a good chapter. Till this happened. 2003. Both my kidneys.

"My passion for cars is fantastic. I haven't driven a car in the past four months because I lost a lot of toes on my feet. But I've been driving otherwise. I gave myself the best car possible. I used to take my grandchildren for a movie, drive down to Lonavala, my wife would call, asking where are you by the way?' I would say, At Lonavala, having a cup of coffee at Fariyas!' I've been doing that and I love to do that and I'll continue to do that if I can. That's the short story of my life."

Thanks, this gives a good insight!
chahat4u thumbnail
Originally posted by: Mard

no doubt, this is what amazes me about him, all through his obese years, he was so happy and positive about life, no wonder he actually lived till 80, despite the fact he was obese since his early 40's, if he was depressed, he would have passed long ago. Shammi Kapoor was a very inspirational person, whenever I think of him, my mind starts thinking positively, we could all learn from him so much. For me, he will always be Shri Shammi Kapoor!

😃 yeah, an inspiration always and someone who always beings smile on face even as a memory. thanks for being positive dear. 
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
I think it was a combination of depression, bad habits, and genetics.