Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 7 years ago

Originally posted by: The.Lannister

I wasn't regular on the DOTS DT so many of you might not know me but I used to visit the thread regularly to read all your posts. Especially loved Sehar's reviews & Debo thanks for sharing all those videos from time to time😳

Now coming to the show, I had to make time to write this one post today as the show comes to an end. It will be a long one...😳

DOTS was the first Korean show that I have watched. I could have done it a lot earlier but I kept putting it off. But when Zindagi started airing Descendants of the Sun (DOTS) I decided to give it a try. I was always curious to know what people liked about Korean dramas because personally I find their actors look like kids & I tend to like older men. They just don't make me want to drool over them. But keeping my prejudices aside I started watching it on Zindagi. I got so hooked to this show that after the initial few episodes, 1 hour a day was not enough. I needed more of it & I needed the whole thing immediately. Hence off to kdramaz.com I went to binge watch.

What I liked:

I doubt there is anything to not like in this show. It is perfect in every way! 

Captain of the Alpha team Yoo Si-jin a.k.a. Big Boss. Si-jin breaks every stereotype of the definition of a hero. For many years now we have mainly had two types of heroes, the silent, brooding, sociopath who is rich & intelligent type OR the jovial but loser type. Si-jin picks up the best from both the types & we get our very unique yet realistic man. He is jovial but not in the gay manner portrayed in many shows. He can be tough but he can be equally gentle. This is most evident during the phase when Dr. Kang Mo-yeon broke up with him. He was the perfect gentleman. He took the rejection like a MAN. He kept his hurt to himself & never ever hurt her in return or even to prove a point. He kept his pride intact but never hurt hers. In a world full of assholes & abusive men which are so common on Indian TV or sociopaths which is all American & British TV specialize in nowadays, Si-jin is a fresh breath of air. Every man should learn how to be a man, when alone & even when with a woman, from Capt. Yoo Si-jin. Another quality of his which must be mentioned is the amount of respect he commands from his team members which is evident time & again. They dont respect him because of his designation or because they have to. They respect him because they want to, because he has earned it & not many superiors can claim that about their juniors.

Dr. Kang Mo-yeon. In a world of excessive feminism Dr. Kang is feminine, a feminist but not a feminazi. She isn't shown to be dealing death blows to terrorists in order to display woman power. But she takes a stand for herself & her ideals & even leaves the man she really loves for it. She earned my respect there even though my heart broke for Si-jin. She can be pragmatic enough to give up on her dreams of becoming a professor & turn into a doctor for the VIPs & the TV face of the hospital in order to pay the bills but the doctor in her who vowed service to humanity comes to the fore in the time of crisis.

Sergeant Seo Dae-young a.k.a. Wolf. Like Si-jin once says all the tough decisions fall to this guy. He loves Myeong-ju from the bottom of his heart but he maintains his distance out of respect for her father's love for her & his unwillingness to accept him as his son -in- law owing to his low rank in the Army. Once again the writers do not disappoint when we finally have Dae-young refusing to quit his job for Myeong-ju. I loved the part where he admits, matter -of- factly that he is a soldier & is great at what he does & he feels it would be wrong to deprive his country of his services. Such a fine way of showing that you can maintain your individuality even when you are in a relationship.

First Lieutenant Yoon Myeong-ju. This was one unique character. She is feisty but her love makes her helpless when facing Dae-young. She knows she is loved by this man & takes all her comfort from this one fact even when he is busy ignoring her. It is his love which makes her fight for him, to be with him. A less determined woman would have moved on in the face of such constant rejection a long time ago. But not her. Myeong-ju & Dae-young are the sort of couple you want to lock up in a room till they solve all their problems & resolve to never separate again.

The country or me? I think this is a question which every soldier must have faced from his better half. This is an often repeated scene in movies where the heroine asks the hero whom would he chose, her or the country. Of all the various replies I have heard, Capt Si-jin's was the best. There are some things which you cannot put a rank to. More often than not two or more things can be equally important.

Great writing: The show has a lot of firsts. The recorded confession is a hands down favourite of mine! The dialogues are all simple but very effective, be it Mo-yeon's confession, her rejections, their jealousies, Myeong-ju's letters, the will. Big Boss & Wolf share a lot of bromance & their banter is fun to watch.

The direction & screenplay. The scene where team Alpha arrives at the earthquake site, descending from the chopper, only their silhouettes visible against the chopper light with the dust flying everywhere & the soldiers assembling in a line to salute their Captain, that scenes manages to make me tear up every single time. Multiple emotions & thoughts race through me every time I see that scene. I feel pride seeing how much the soldiers respect their captain, I feel grateful that the best have come back in this time of need, I chuckle a little when I see Si-jin searching for Mo-yeon (no matter what he said about him doing his duty & that being that to her earlier !) Other than this epic scene we have a lot of small scenes which convey a wealth of meaning like the one where Mo-yeon breaks off her heels to work better  in the disaster area & is later offered shoes by a site worker, or the one where Dae-young slips & falls in a pit & Myeong-ju's hands still while she is operating on her patient. You can feel her panic & anguish but she continues working. You share her relief once you see Dae-young is safe & sound. In fact the episodes covering the earthquake, right from when it began with children playing & butterflies flying away, the episodes are a work of genius in terms of direction & screenplay & acting. The entire team deserves every award for those two episodes alone! And while we are talking about tragedy, the writer once again manages to balance it off with healthy doses of comedy. The comedy is always clean, never insensitive. The actions sequences were fantabulous! I had assumed a Korean show based on military life would have Jackie Chan/ MI type action sequences (which I am not a fan of personally!) but the fight scenes were EPIC! My personal favourite was the one in the parking lot when Si-jin & Capt Ahn were injured.

What I didn't like:

There is actually nothing to dislike about this show, except...

WHY DIDN'T THE CAPTAIN PROPOSE MO-YEON WHEN THEY RETURNED TO URUK?

I had been waiting for him to propose to her. When he kissed her I was dead sure he would do it now but instead all he did was talk some more. The dialogues like always were meaningful but some scenes demand certain things be done in a certain way πŸ˜›

Like who says things like now let us spoil your lisptick' & then goes on to actually spoil it by writing out a warning sign on a wodden board with it? *Facepalm*πŸ˜†

Other than that one disappointment, the show is perfect on every level. It is the sort of thing which will make you laugh & cry, and make you fall in love with all of them each time you watch it. I have already watched it multiple times & I am sure will continue watching it again n again. Cannot get enough of these guys😳

loved your review...and about the confessing thing..I think it is bcz he is too old fashioned for that..he said it to her mom..that I am too old fashioned...πŸ˜†
Jais1 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: OtakuGirl-Debo

loved your review...and about the confessing thing..I think it is bcz he is too old fashioned for that..he said it to her mom..that I am too old fashioned...πŸ˜†

Yeah, and I think before proposing mo-yeon, he will first ask mo-yeon mother permission, like you said he is too old fashioned.Edited by ---jais--- - 7 years ago
Jais1 thumbnail
Aww so sweet post .
I loved this show and really really loved the show character . They all were so awesome.
I spend a very good time here. As much I will miss this show , I will miss you guys also.
Jais1 thumbnail
@The.Lannister-
Fantastic post. You have described every character so beautifully. I loved all of them.
sishtyfan thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: ---jais---

Aww so sweet post .
I loved this show and really really loved the show character . They all were so awesome.
I spend a very good time here. As much I will miss this show , I will miss you guys also.

Thanks jai !!
Yeah me too !! 😳
OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
this is what Zindagi's FB page posted..this is the first time they posted something like this..after this do I need to say more about this show?..I guess no..tomorrow they will show a special episode..full series in 1 hour..so don't miss it guys...

Thank you for your overwhelming love towards the show and making it a huge success! Catch the final episode of Descendants of the Sun tonight.

The.Lannister thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: OtakuGirl-Debo

Yes could be! πŸ˜†
Lumos-Maxima thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: The.Lannister

I wasn't regular on the DOTS DT so many of you might not know me but I used to visit the thread regularly to read all your posts. Especially loved Sehar's reviews & Debo thanks for sharing all those videos from time to time😳

Now coming to the show, I had to make time to write this one post today as the show comes to an end. It will be a long one...😳

DOTS was the first Korean show that I have watched. I could have done it a lot earlier but I kept putting it off. But when Zindagi started airing Descendants of the Sun (DOTS) I decided to give it a try. I was always curious to know what people liked about Korean dramas because personally I find their actors look like kids & I tend to like older men. They just don't make me want to drool over them. But keeping my prejudices aside I started watching it on Zindagi. I got so hooked to this show that after the initial few episodes, 1 hour a day was not enough. I needed more of it & I needed the whole thing immediately. Hence off to kdramaz.com I went to binge watch.

What I liked:

I doubt there is anything to not like in this show. It is perfect in every way! 

Captain of the Alpha team Yoo Si-jin a.k.a. Big Boss. Si-jin breaks every stereotype of the definition of a hero. For many years now we have mainly had two types of heroes, the silent, brooding, sociopath who is rich & intelligent type OR the jovial but loser type. Si-jin picks up the best from both the types & we get our very unique yet realistic man. He is jovial but not in the gay manner portrayed in many shows. He can be tough but he can be equally gentle. This is most evident during the phase when Dr. Kang Mo-yeon broke up with him. He was the perfect gentleman. He took the rejection like a MAN. He kept his hurt to himself & never ever hurt her in return or even to prove a point. He kept his pride intact but never hurt hers. In a world full of assholes & abusive men which are so common on Indian TV or sociopaths which is all American & British TV specialize in nowadays, Si-jin is a fresh breath of air. Every man should learn how to be a man, when alone & even when with a woman, from Capt. Yoo Si-jin. Another quality of his which must be mentioned is the amount of respect he commands from his team members which is evident time & again. They dont respect him because of his designation or because they have to. They respect him because they want to, because he has earned it & not many superiors can claim that about their juniors.

Dr. Kang Mo-yeon. In a world of excessive feminism Dr. Kang is feminine, a feminist but not a feminazi. She isn't shown to be dealing death blows to terrorists in order to display woman power. But she takes a stand for herself & her ideals & even leaves the man she really loves for it. She earned my respect there even though my heart broke for Si-jin. She can be pragmatic enough to give up on her dreams of becoming a professor & turn into a doctor for the VIPs & the TV face of the hospital in order to pay the bills but the doctor in her who vowed service to humanity comes to the fore in the time of crisis.

Sergeant Seo Dae-young a.k.a. Wolf. Like Si-jin once says all the tough decisions fall to this guy. He loves Myeong-ju from the bottom of his heart but he maintains his distance out of respect for her father's love for her & his unwillingness to accept him as his son -in- law owing to his low rank in the Army. Once again the writers do not disappoint when we finally have Dae-young refusing to quit his job for Myeong-ju. I loved the part where he admits, matter -of- factly that he is a soldier & is great at what he does & he feels it would be wrong to deprive his country of his services. Such a fine way of showing that you can maintain your individuality even when you are in a relationship.

First Lieutenant Yoon Myeong-ju. This was one unique character. She is feisty but her love makes her helpless when facing Dae-young. She knows she is loved by this man & takes all her comfort from this one fact even when he is busy ignoring her. It is his love which makes her fight for him, to be with him. A less determined woman would have moved on in the face of such constant rejection a long time ago. But not her. Myeong-ju & Dae-young are the sort of couple you want to lock up in a room till they solve all their problems & resolve to never separate again.

The country or me? I think this is a question which every soldier must have faced from his better half. This is an often repeated scene in movies where the heroine asks the hero whom would he chose, her or the country. Of all the various replies I have heard, Capt Si-jin's was the best. There are some things which you cannot put a rank to. More often than not two or more things can be equally important.

Great writing: The show has a lot of firsts. The recorded confession is a hands down favourite of mine! The dialogues are all simple but very effective, be it Mo-yeon's confession, her rejections, their jealousies, Myeong-ju's letters, the will. Big Boss & Wolf share a lot of bromance & their banter is fun to watch.

The direction & screenplay. The scene where team Alpha arrives at the earthquake site, descending from the chopper, only their silhouettes visible against the chopper light with the dust flying everywhere & the soldiers assembling in a line to salute their Captain, that scenes manages to make me tear up every single time. Multiple emotions & thoughts race through me every time I see that scene. I feel pride seeing how much the soldiers respect their captain, I feel grateful that the best have come back in this time of need, I chuckle a little when I see Si-jin searching for Mo-yeon (no matter what he said about him doing his duty & that being that to her earlier !) Other than this epic scene we have a lot of small scenes which convey a wealth of meaning like the one where Mo-yeon breaks off her heels to work better  in the disaster area & is later offered shoes by a site worker, or the one where Dae-young slips & falls in a pit & Myeong-ju's hands still while she is operating on her patient. You can feel her panic & anguish but she continues working. You share her relief once you see Dae-young is safe & sound. In fact the episodes covering the earthquake, right from when it began with children playing & butterflies flying away, the episodes are a work of genius in terms of direction & screenplay & acting. The entire team deserves every award for those two episodes alone! And while we are talking about tragedy, the writer once again manages to balance it off with healthy doses of comedy. The comedy is always clean, never insensitive. The actions sequences were fantabulous! I had assumed a Korean show based on military life would have Jackie Chan/ MI type action sequences (which I am not a fan of personally!) but the fight scenes were EPIC! My personal favourite was the one in the parking lot when Si-jin & Capt Ahn were injured.

What I didn't like:

There is actually nothing to dislike about this show, except...

WHY DIDN'T THE CAPTAIN PROPOSE MO-YEON WHEN THEY RETURNED TO URUK?

I had been waiting for him to propose to her. When he kissed her I was dead sure he would do it now but instead all he did was talk some more. The dialogues like always were meaningful but some scenes demand certain things be done in a certain way πŸ˜›

Like who says things like now let us spoil your lisptick' & then goes on to actually spoil it by writing out a warning sign on a wodden board with it? *Facepalm*πŸ˜†

Other than that one disappointment, the show is perfect on every level. It is the sort of thing which will make you laugh & cry, and make you fall in love with all of them each time you watch it. I have already watched it multiple times & I am sure will continue watching it again n again. Cannot get enough of these guys😳

Wow!! You just spoke my mind. Agree with your every word!!
I never thought I would fall in love with this serial this much. 
sehar mehrotra thumbnail
I'm a little late to party πŸ˜†. Sorry I didn't know we had a Goodbye Thread too πŸ˜†

@Shruti- Girl even though you weren't a part of the regular day to day discussions, I always knew that you were a silent reader coz there was always your Likes on our posts πŸ˜³πŸ˜³.

And by writing all that you did, you hit a sixer right away πŸ‘πŸ‘

I agree with every single word you wrote, word for word. I couldn't have written it better. πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ 

You described everything so beautifully, now I'm just mad why weren't you part of the chats at the DT

Like @Shruti has already said, we are all used to such heroes on our TV screens who need to either always be in the face of women showing off their manliness asthe ultimate protector or act abusive yet the females still fall in love with them. I'm sick to death of such characters. Indeed in a world full of such Pseudo Males we come across a guy, Captain Yoo Si-Jin, who doesn't need to dominate the woman he loves, just to satisfy his male ego. He never needed to twist her arm hold her to the wall or get overtly physical to show his love for her. He was always the Perfect Gentleman. 

Even when she left him, because she came to realize that they were both very different people with contrasting ideologies in life and towards life. She chose the Dignity of Life and he chose the Dignity of his profession and Country. They parted ways in the Maturest way Possible. He took it like a man. Yoo Si-Jin always put his job first, he was a soldier at heart who believed that love for one's country surpassed all else. Yes he was happy-go-lucky and jovial but when the situation demanded he rose up to his comrades and their honor.

Kang Mo-Yeon as I've always said was a very real person. Her fears and emotions were very real. That's why even after being in love with Yoo Si-Jin she always found it hard to accept his profession. It was in direct disparity with hers. She was the only lead without a Military Background, yet she stood her ground when the situation demanded. Before she came to Urk she had no idea of her own strengths and capabilities, but the earthquake brought out the real doctor in her.

Seo Dae Young, I believe he was always born to be a soldier. The only unfortunate thing was that he was Non-Commissioned. He had the respect of his peers and subordinates, the love of a General's Daughter, but he could never act on it. He loved Myeong with all he had yet he always ran away, because he thought of himself as an unworthy suitor  for her. He wanted her happiness over his own and was ready to let her go instead of making her succumb to a life less worthy just to be with him. SDY's integrity and his moral fibre set him apart from all.

Myeong Joo, well she was something else. A little insane but very passionate, be it in her job or her service towards her nation or be it in her immense love for Seo Dae Young. A dialogue of hers, "I don't care about my pride, I know how much he loves me" just goes on to show the kinda love she had towards this man. MJ was always a straight forward no-non sense girl who didn't need a guy to help her when she fell, she was no damsel in distress. She was able enough to take care of herself as well as others. I reckon she was just as strong as YSJ and SDY coz she wasn't just a soldier, she was a doctor as well, who along with fighting for her country had the gift of saving lives. The two men she loved the most in this world brought her the most pain, be it her father or her boyfriend. But still she didn't give up on either of them.

I wouldn't call the Medical team and Alpha team a supporting cast coz they were just as important as the 4 of these. All of them had a part to play and a story to tell. Be it the crazy Doctor Song who was always the joker of the team, but when the time to lead befell he rose up and handled his doctors beautifully. Sister Ja and Min-Ji as the nightingales of the Medical team. Chi-Hoo as the cute little rich boy who evolved as a Man and a Doctor in Urk. Ji-Soo who was always Mo-Yeon's rock. 

Snoopy/Sgt. Choi, Piccolo, Harry Potter, these Alpha Boys and their dedication for the team and their superior officers was commendable. They stood their ground with their Captain even when they knew that they were breaking the first and foremost rule of the Army "Following Orders". They gave All For One And One For All a whole new meaning. 
Edited by sehar mehrotra - 7 years ago
SaRun. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Never imagined falling for a Korean show. 
 I'd always stayed away from those K Dramas BUT DOTS has actually changed my life and how. 
I am so glad I decided to give it a shot. 
EVERYTHING about this show is absolute love and nothing else. The friendships, relationships, emotional bonds, the patriotism, duty towards your work and nation. 

I swear to god this show made me feel like becoming a soldier and a doctor! It hit me so hard, yes!