It is not a problem. According to Sastras you can remarry

shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 7 years ago
I couldnt help but talk about this line and the callous way in which it was told. According to Sastras a king can remarry. A kingdom needs queen. The sastras we see their use once again in MB. The funda of Niyog. Forcing a woman to have relationship with a rishi against her wishes because the kingdom needs heir. 
First and foremost Ambika and Ambalika are taken by brute force from their swayamvar. Once they become widows both the ladies doesnt want relation with Vyasa. But they are forced to have it, because the kingdom needs heir. 

Under normal condition a widow is not allowed to participate in any auspicious things. But she can be utilized to get heir .  If a widow falls in love and if a young man willing to give her second chance in life it is blapshemy. There is a beautiful Malayalam movie Parinayam where Mohini questions the orthodox people with the Niyog funda. 

So when Sanskriti wants, they will use Shastras to abuse Prakriti. For most woman even today it is a struggle. Because men succumb to the lure of Sanskriti. They do not have in them to stand up to the injustice that is given to their better halves. 

You need a Ram to change Sanskriti who simply refused to rise to the bait and circumvented the rule in his own way. A woman's struggle becomes meaningful only if she is able to choose a man who will be able to give her identity if she is getting married. 
Who will not use the shastras the wrong way to abuse her. Once again I stress on this point to all the young girls in the forum. 

Whenever you are choosing a man observe him, his actions, his behaviour the most. Test him with moral conflicts. Know his opinion on various issues from mythology and around the world. Talk, talk and talk more. I am telling this because we are moving towards a generation where you might be choosing your partners than your parents. Be prudent in choosing. And if your parent or your elders are disagreeing dont rebel blindly, understand why they are telling what they are telling. Check if some truth is in it or not. 
Unless you choose a man who is not the slave of money and one who considers you part of him, you will not have independant identity post marriage. Get the right knowledge and preserve your identity the right way. Because you need a man to support you, guide you in dealing with Sanskriti as far as marriage goes. This is not applicable to girls who are planning to stay single. They can carve their identity on their own 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Siya-Ram thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Ram did indeed circumvent the rules.

Di have u read this. An interesting read. If read ignore 😃

http://devdutt.com/articles/indian-mythology/mahabharata/rules-do-not-make-ram.htmlEdited by Cluny123 - 7 years ago
shruthiravi thumbnail
I will check the article Sanju
avalonhigh1234 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Shruthi ,I tell my children that traditions and religion are to be questioned and analized but God has to be understood and accepted.For I feel that as a society we have managed to botch up both .When you read Manusmriti it seems to tilt favourably towards the male.Maybe my perception is biased but I have always felt that it mainly deals with the subjugation of woman and self proclaimed superiority of a man.Ram and Krishna both stood against the prevailing norms of their times.Ram did it more subtly by seemingly following them but bring them in open so that they could be dealt with.Krishna from the beginning marches to his own tune.Sadly we are so obsessed in following the traditions without even checking  for their validity and completely sidelining the path laid out by Ram or Krishna...
Savita

shruthiravi thumbnail
@Savitha we have mixed both. That's the problem. Tradition is mixed with worship. Whereas we do not recognize what is the quality that is needed so that one can be worshipped. Fear of questioning is drilled into our head from childhood. Don't question parents, don't question teachers. Do we even realize how confused the younger generation is. Because the words and actions of the elders don't match.
Manusmriti and to an extend Ramacharitamanas is also male oriented. If you see Valmiki Ramayan it is much neutral, but it is Ramacharitamanas that lifts Ram to God, if you read Rajagopalachari this masculine aspect of Ram shines through more with lines like Ram asking Laxman how can you listen to a foolish woman's irrational fears. Whereas if we truly worship Vishnu, the thing we need to accept is that Vishnu can never derogate woman. Maybe the man who understood him wrote it the way he felt it. Edited by shruthiravi - 7 years ago
ramaasita thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Beautifully put😊 Kudos to you girl! I agree totally. Unfortunately, with all the independence we've gotten from our parents, we feel we might make a better decision in knowing what's good for us and think that we know better, but it's important that out modernity considers tradition too. It's a two-way street. 
shruthiravi thumbnail
@Bhavss we need to understand one thing. Core values of tetra yuga and core values of Kaliyuga are the same. Our elders have something which we don't have. Experience. So to overlook their experience is foolhardy to say the least.
If you ask me they are certain things in a boy that sends alarm ringing through me. Believe me it is not that he had bunked classes and watched a movie, or has a slight MCP streak. But what rings the bell for me is the goody goody behavior. Treatment of you like a queen with no apparent reason. And without reason he will barge in and solve all your problems 😃 
deejagi thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
@ Shruthi & Savita, I completely agree with you too about tradition and worshiping. To be frank with I do follow tradition, and I do worship but never hero worship anyone even if it is the God unless I am satisfied why I should worship him. The things have changed now for the current day kids as no one ask them to keep quiet and not to question. That is more in schools as the teachers will ensue all the kids in the class room are equally participated in discussions which was a rare case few years back. The self confidence is built in the kids from pre nursery stage by making them participate in plays, singing and speech etc. which will make the girls bold and boys respectful. Yes one needs to question the tradition but not always with scientific argument.

Yes Polygamy was accepted then not because of MCP issue but because of the scarcity of able grooms. With the wars and all, the young men who were in army were tend to die and the gender balancing was not 1:1 but the number of girls were more than number of boys and since it was not allowed to have an unmarried girl, they made a provision that a man can have more than one wife, if he could support them. And that was true with a Prince or king as he had abundant money to spare on women and also to keep a balanced relationship with neighboring states, it was a practice to marry the princess of the other state, so that both states have some respire of wars. So to make it easy for the condition of their state by making their King to have many wives, they have written that phrase in the Sahastras that " Rajano Bahuvallabhaha" means a king is a synonym of man with many wives.

At times, that is required to keep the harmony of the people like Krishna marrying all the 16000 Gopikas who were in custody of Narakasur and we did accepted that as a great deed of our lord to save the virtue of so many female. But he the same was done by the kings of Kaliyug like Tippu, Vishnuvardhan, Vikramadithya, Akbar, we called it as their weakness for women or they were lust. So things which were right in one era need not be right in the next era also. Tippu had to face many hurdles for allowing his soldiers to marry the widows from Kerala after his victory as that was called his brutal act to suppress those ladies to when the queen married (sorry I have forgotten her name, will recollect and write later) had to marry him to save her women folks. She asked for their freedom as her wedding gift from Tippu. Vikramaditya had to face severe wars for him to marry Chnadala Devi at an age of 65 while she was just in her teens. Vishnuvardhana had to face the consequences with his first wife who took "Shayana Sanyasa" when he went ahead and married 2 more girls though with her consent. The fourth one became the reason for the downfall of his kingdom (Hoysala dynasty) an dwe all know w]what all Akbar had to face or his wives because of this many wives syndrome.

And about girls watching out for indications from boys, I don't think that will be easy as everyone will try to showcase what they want to, to their Girl friend or to be wife and the reality will pop up only after they are married. So for better knowledge, one needs to check on their family back ground and his fried circle. Friend circle will be the better to know his personality as it is difficult to find a fresh fruit in a basket of rotten fruits though it may not be impossible. So better watch his friends and how they behave with girls etc. to get to know your man.
shruthiravi thumbnail
Such a lengthy post Jaya. I agree to your views on polygamy. I also know it happened because of the above said reasons. Shastras were written to use those rules when the situation demanded it. Yes intend of the action. Why you need to marry. All problems happened when shastras were twisted for personal gains.
The classic present case I can cite is the triple talaq issue raging in SC. When the woman of the community itself has signed petition, certain self appointed people are citing something in holy books and opposing it. And coming to boys. You put forth a very valid point. Friends and family circle. That's why in arranged marriage not just the boy, but the family is also looked into, also you check on the acquaintances. These days when a proposal came for the relative of mine, that aunty asked me to check the guy on social media. Yes the face book posts, twitter tweets what or who he follows gives you not a complete idea, but still an idea of what kind of a person he or she is.

Interestingly to write my fiction Seven Vows I had done some research on widows status in north India, some reading on scriptures and came across something that is claimed to be  written in Manusmriti

" That a  widow should live a pious life even if she doesn't have kids till her last breath without thinking about another man irrespective of her age" I am not sure whether Manu wrote it, or someone else interpreted it. But I felt very sad reading it.  Why you want to torture a young girl because of a misfortune that happened to her.

avalonhigh1234 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
 Thanks Jaya. For me puja and prayers have nothing to do with tradition but are just a way of remembering your faith in God .I still miss those navratri celebrations and the the ram leelas ending with the destruction of the effigys of Ravan, Meghnadh and Khumbkaran. The decorating of golus and visiting numerous homes in the evenings. So many celebrations throughout the year. Though I have managed to retain the essence of them for my children, I still miss the grandeur and the family gatherings. But unfortunately the word tradition is moulded and used now for propagation of rigid rules and narrow minded perceptions of a so called traditionalist society. It makes me very uncomfortable when I come across those rules like the treatment of widows or other restrictions for women or even girl children. The problem is we are concentrating on only one aspect of changing perceptions by mainly focussing on the women and not on the male  counterparts. Basically the thing that has to radically change is the mind of a man not the attire or attitude of women. Here is where understanding Ram or Krishna and their ideals and principles can make us move forward in this direction. For a Sita to triumph over the prevalent traditions of those times or for Draupadi to have her justice it is necessary for an enlightened or progressive Ram or Krishna to stand with them not for support but as a believer. Can you imagine how perfect our society could be then?
Savita