FF- Sparkling Dreams (COMPLETED) epilogue pg 43

nj.123 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 7 years ago
Hi, to all of you who used to read my FF, I am terribly sorry, I know I left this story hanging midair. It's been three years and when I re-read this, I was tempted to just complete this one. I am extremely sorry for just abandoning this one, life got a little too busy. I'm posting all the parts here along with the new updates, the old thread was closed, yes it's been that long. For all those who wish to follow this story, do send me a buddy request in order to receive pm's.

PROLOGUE

The city that she had left behind, the place she had tried erasing from her heart, she was back where it all started.
She was back home.

'I have to leave' she tried making him see
'What about me?' she heard him say in a broken voice with hints of underlying anger and pain.
'You..You'l be fine without me, I ca..can't stay, please don't ask me to' she whispered trying to hold back the tears that were flooding her eyes.
'I won't' he said in a harsh whisper, his eyes displaying the hurt that she was trying to hide
He abruptly turned and walked away and she never called him back and never fullfilled the urge to pull him into her arms one last time.
This was right thing to do, she needed to get away.

She had been 18 then, too young to understand the reason why it had hurt so much
Too timid to stay and face it all
Too confused to know why it was slowly breaking her
Just wanting to get away from it all, a riddance from the tears that burnt into her pillow at night, an escape from the pain that promised to destroy her slowly
Now 8 years later, here she was again, a lot more confident, more healed and wise. Knowing that her vulnerable old self was left behind, thrown away in the process of growing up and now here she was, someone who had evolved into a woman who knew that in life the worst thing that you can do is run away, you do manage to get away from what hurts you the most but eventually realize that you have distanced yourself from the people that mean the world to you.

Edited by nj.123 - 7 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

nj.123 thumbnail
INDEX
Parts 1-6  PAGE 1
Part 7- PAGE 2
Part 8- Page 2
Part 9, 10, 11 (NEW UPDATE)-  PAGE 2
Part 12- PAGE 3
Part 13- PAGE 4
Part 14- PAGE 6
Part 15- PAGE 8
Part 16- PAGE 9
Part 17- PAGE 11
Part 18- PAGE 13
Part 19- PAGE 14
Part 20- PAGE 16
Part 21-PAGE 18
Part 22- PAGE 20
Part 23- PAGE 21
Part 24- PAGE 24
Part 25-PAGE 25
Part 26- PAGE 27
Part 27- PAGE 29
Part 28- PAGE 31
Part 29- PAGE 33
Part 30- PAGE 35
Part 31-PAGE 37
Part 32- PAGE 40
Part 33- PAGE 42
EPILOGUE- PAGE 43
nj.123 thumbnail
CH1- Suddenly Broken

Khushi walked along the quiet beach, her hand clutching her sweater close. The whispering cold winter wind slowly caressing her hair and face making her smile softly and embrace the memories that she had left behind, the memories she had run away from.

Khushi hurried through the college field, her fringes falling over her eyes and making her stumble a little but she kept running with out bothering, she needed to tell him, she had to she told herself firmly and laughed at how stupid she could have been to not know, she saw him standing there in there in his worn out jeans and sky blue t-shirt, her best friend and now something else as well she thought her heart filling with a sudden warmth at finally finding the courage to go ahead and tell him. She stopped before him a little out of breath at having run so long and bent on her knees to catch her breath and then looked up to smile at him, her heart accelerating a little at meeting the dark brown eyes looking down at her happily.

She stood up finally when her breathing slowed down 'I uh..need to tell you something' he said raking his hand through his hair, looking down with an odd smile on his face.
She looked at him quizzically and smiled, what she had to say could wait, the eager smile on his face told her that what he wanted to say was something very important to  him, 'Uh..its umm' he started off, 'Oho Arnav, will you just tell me, since when did you start stammering' she asked him with mock annoyance and punched his arm.

'I love her' he blurted out

The words hung in the silent air, her smile suddenly frozen, her heart suddenly stopping the somersault and slipping into a quiet realization and silent tears that she refused to pay heed to, 'I'll go tell her?' he questioned her in a quiet voice while she simply nodded, making her smile look as wide as possible, hiding the million tears behind her eyes.

'You should, wh-what are you waiting for?' she said trying to keep her voice steady and calm, he pulled her into a bear hug, 'I'm so happy Khushi, I love her so much, Naina is ...is I just love her a lot' he kept repeating unaware of the dreams slowly breaking in the eyes of the little girl with her head buried in his shoulder, trying to get a grip on herself. 

'I'll go' he asked, his eyed displaying the same happiness and smile that she had on when she decided this morning that she would tell him, she simply nodded her head with a large smile on her  face, trying to hide the sudden pain that had seeped into her 'Go what are you waiting for' she said giving him a slight push, trying to look happy.

She stood still and watched as he ran ahead smiling, he looked back at her and winked, laughing nervously he turned around again and walked away. Leaving her standing there alone, feeling broken suddenly, deprived of the warmth that she was so used to having by her side. She simply closed her eyes and sighed, finally letting those hidden tears fall free, releasing her, breaking a part of her and making her chose a path that would change everything.

She watched the waves crashing against the shore violently and wondered why she remembered the most painful memory of all and closed her eyes. She had walked away like a coward then, she was too young to bear it and not very wise, she had walked away from her best friend, her love, just because she couldn't take a little heart break. Now she was here again, she knew that her love was not forgotten, not entirely erased but in all these years she had also learnt that sometimes love means staying away from the ones you care about just so that they can be happy, if she had stayed behind then, she would have been broken and seeing her broken would have snatched away all his happiness, in the time that she had been away she had learnt many things and the most important one was pretense, knowing how to show the world that you are strong, you are happy.

nj.123 thumbnail
Chapter 2 - WEDDING BELLS

Home. The only place that can give you warmth and comfort even when you are almost breaking apart within.

Nobody questioned her about her sudden need to leave, they were just glad she had decided to come back. 

'No Ma, I have decided to get a job here, I'm not going back' Khushi whispered and hugged her mother close, she knew she could not go back once she returned, this is where she belonged.
'Fine, now come down for breakfast, you have no idea how much I've missed you' her mother smothered her with a hug and lead her downstairs. Her mother had been longing to be close to her only daughter and those brief vacations with her were never enough.

Khushi smiled at the old familiar smell of Aloo Parathas, dipping them in curd and eating mouthfuls had always been a morning ritual for her. She noticed her father quietly observing her with a smile, he was never one to interfere and gauge out reasons, he was simply satisfied seeing his daughter home after her sudden need to leave, throwing 'education' as the reason at them, they knew it was more than that, they had not missed the breaking sadness hidden behind those hazel eyes when she had said good bye.

Khushi slung her handbag and threw on her shoes before heading out. This was not an easy thing for her, being back home did bring happiness but along with it there was also a fear that she would see him again and things would get too painful for her. Leaving him, her best friend was a difficult choice she had to make. It was either walking away or hiding a million tears everyday, she chose to walk away.

She walked into the bright reception area. She noticed how the interiors were done imaculately well and smiled at the brilliant choice. 'Khushi' she heard a familiar voice exclaim, she turned around and found herself enveloped in a hug even before she could breathe, 'Jiya' she squeaked, 'Can you please let me breathe' she laughed and pulled her friend back, Jiya had gone to university with Khushi and had decided to come back home and open her own Accounting firm. When she got to know that Khushi was back in Delhi, her excitement was unleashed. 'I missed you so much' Khushi said and smiled at her adorable friend who still chose to be dressed in bright colors that could blind anyone, the bright purple dress did made her look magnificent. 

Jiya lead Khushi to her office, 'I'm so glad you decided to return to Delhi, I could definitely use a partner here, there's just so much work', 'Its good to be back' Khushi sighed and plopped down on the chair, she then looked at Jiya and noticed how her always  bubbly friend was suddenly looking all around, even at the ceiling except at her, 'Okay Jiya, what is it, you're still not good at hiding things so will you just spit it out' Khushi said slowly and laughed when her friend looked at her guiltily. She gaped when Jiya held up her hand, 'You dufus how could you not mention that you were getting married!' she exclaimed and flung herself at her friend, 'I'm so happy for you' Khushi said and pulled back to look at Jiya's happy facing bursting with a million smiles, 'I thought that I would surprise you' she giggled and sighed. 

'Who's the unlucky bechara?' Khushi asked and winked at her friends red face, 'His name is Dhruv, and you know I hated him so much when I had to meet him at mom and dad's anniversary party and then that idiot just made me fall in love, Ah it feels so lovely you know, we're getting married in two weeks and you darling are going to help me out with all the planning' Jiya said and winked with a wicked smile while Khushi dramatically exclaimed 'Nahiii!!". They both ended up laughing like idiots after that.

Being back home was not so bad after all Khushi thought and smiled.

nj.123 thumbnail
Ch3  Through The Darkness

Khushi sighed as she flicked through the wedding magazine, every dress looked breathtakingly beautiful and choosing just one was proving to be more difficult than she had thought.

She ran her fingers over the bright red colors absentmindedly  and then let out a sudden deep breath when she when she noticed the dress that screamed 'perfection'. The simple embroidered borders and intricate bead work with the vibrant red design on the choli made it look enchanting.

Khushi knew it would look marvelous on Jiya. She flung a paper ball at her friend who was engrossed in the catering menu.

'What the hell Khush...She then trailed off and gaped widely at the magazine 'Oh good heavens that is so freaking beautiful!' she exclaimed, 'I know right, you're going to look gorgeous' Khushi sighed dramatically, wiping off imaginary tears while Jiya giggled and let out a dreamy sigh.

--------------------------------------------------------

Dhruv was a charming man with dark brown eyes and a dimpled smile, Khushi liked him as soon as she met him over dinner. Jiya and him made an adorable couple.

''So Dhruv, tell me how did you manage to impress my princess over here?' Khushi asked with a naughty smile while he simply laughed and flung an arm casually around a glaring Jiya 

'I just had to buy her a double chocolate chip muffin every time we went out, take her dog for a walk everyday and spend an entire month taking her to boring chick flick movies' he sighed with a mock sympathetic look on his face while Jiya smacked him playfully and said 'Lier, I don't even have a dog' while he simply grinned at her funny annoyed face.

Khushi toyed with her food and smiled at the comfort level the two shared. Jiya was right, they were absolutely in love and she was happy that her friend found someone so special. 

'Dhruv  tomorrow you're gonna come with us to meet the caterers, be ready at six' Khushi said, 'Oh yum when did I ever say no to food' he exclaimed and rubbed his hands together in glee while Jiya rolled her eyes mockingly and muttered 'Hog' which made the table erupt with loud laughter making people turn their heads and examine the three people who seemed mad.

----------------------------------------------------

Arnav Singh Raizada walked swiftly into his room and flung his briefcase on the bed. In a few minutes he was already standing beneath the shower, the hot jets of steaming water slowly relaxing his tensed muscles.

Another deal taken over,another victory but these battles that he fought to reign over hardly drove away the pain that still lingered in his heart.

He was now a broken man, this was not the man he saw himself becoming one day. No, this was a cold ruthless being who had driven away all vestiges of love and warmth from his life.
He had changed, he had lost too much to be able to let some light seep into the enveloping darkness that filled his life.

He leaned back on the recliner and fingered the photograph as his eyes clouded with tears. He saw how his mothers eyes smiled back at him through the photograph, an absolute contrast from the dying fragile woman who had made him promise to hold on and not break down.

That's what he had tried doing, but his life had fallen apart in every way possible and in the process of not breaking down he had ended  up destroying who he was.

------------------------------------------------------

Khushi sighed and rolled over on her side. The happiness she saw in Jiyas eyes today reminded her of a once bubbly girl with endless dreams that had suddenly fallen apart. 

She had closed her heart to love after that, she feared to have to endure that pain once again. She did not have it in her to walk away from life all over again.

'Arnav' she whispered the name after so many years and closed her eyes at the sudden rush of pain and memories it brought along with it. Walking away from someone so close to your heart is never easy but she also knew that watching the person you love be within reach physically but yet miles away from you is unbearable.

She knew loving someone so intensely again was impossible, she knew she probably could never love again. So she buried the memories once again, switched off the lights and let the darkness wash away the resurfacing pain .

It was always easier to try and forget instead of staying and watching the pain bring you down. 

nj.123 thumbnail
CH-4  COLORS

'Family, they understand even when you don't say anything'

Khushi pushed back her hair and snuggled more into bed as she flipped through the pages of the novel. Reading had become a habit for her, especially when she was away from home, it allowed her to forget and escape to a world that was so unlike hers. She looked up startled when someone knocked, her mother walked in with a glass of hot chocolate and seeing this familiar sight again made her widen her eyes and smile. She pushed aside the duvet and giggled as she took the steaming mug, 'You still make this?' she asked with a surprised smile and sipped with her eyes closed. 'No, I haven't made this after you left' she said laughing softly and observed her daughter who had grown up so much. Parents are always amazed at how years fly by and they find their little babies turning into adults that think they can take on the world and for Khushi's mother her little baby had changed so much that she sometimes wondered how it all happened so fast.

She did see glimpses of her carefree, high spirited daughter but she just found that sparkle missing and it had been missing a long time. Mothers notice small things like that and it did not miss her eye how her daughter suddenly wanted to move away from the place she loved, she did not miss that heart breaking smile that never seemed to reach her eyes all those times she said she loved being away and doing something independently. She knew it was not independence that Khushi longed for, she was running away from something and Garima waited patiently until a time would come when Khushi would chose to tell her what happened voluntarily.

Khushi noticed her mother lost in taught and snapped her fingers 'Ma, I'll be working with Jiya on expanding her firm, she is getting married next month. She'll come home and personally invite you and dad tomorrow' she said and pulled her hair into a high ponytail. 

'Jiya is getting married, that's so nice, ladka kaun hai?' her mother asked.
'His name is Dhruv and they met at an anniversary party, he's very nice I met him last night over dinner' Khushi said and smiled at her mother who looked back at her daughter with a happy smile 'So you've decided you're going to work here, I'm so happy I finally have someone who loves my hot chocolate' her mother laughed and wiped away the cream that clung to Khushi's upper lip, 'Yeah...ma the hot chocolate, you never missed this lovely, fabulous daughter did you?' Khushi asked with a mock sad face, 'Which daughter?' Garima asked mischievously and frowned as Khushi lost her patience and tickled her, she wrestled with her gently. They giggled and Khushi finally gave up the fight after hitting her with a pillow and laid her head on her lap. The sudden silence was comforting and being close to her mother was one thing Khushi really really missed, she felt her mothers fingers stroke her hair softly, Khushi closed her eyes as she listened to her softly hum one of those lullaby's that put her to sleep every night until she was five, it was surprisingly soothing even after so many years. 

'Ma, is it possible to erase things that cause us pain' Khushi whispered. Garima looked down at her daughters closed eyes and sad smile, she was right there was something she did not know. 'It depends on what we are trying to erase Khush, something we don't care about never causes pain, in the end it always comes down to whether we are willing to erase it and get rid of it from our life'  she answered and watched her tired daughter murmur a 'hmmm' and fall into quiet sleep.

-------------------------------------------

Arnav looked at his over enthusiastic sister who was acting like she was getting married as she looked through the various decorations. He hated the house right now, there were flowers everywhere for some ceremony out of the millions that were a compulsion for every wedding in the family. He frowned at the tons of stocked up sweets and made his way to his room, he hated weddings, the noise, the unnecessary drama and faked smiles but he could  not escape this one. It was Dhruv's wedding and if he dared miss it, he would probably be guillotined by his sister the next day.

He walked out into his garden and fingered the tiny white flowers, he sighed and watched as each petal seemed to bloom so beautifully, perfectly. He wondered why life was not the same, why things suddenly turned different. He shut his eyes thinking that it would prevent the hurt from seeking deeper and concentrated on pulling out the weeds carefully.

So deep was he lost in thought that he hardly noticed Anjali sneaking up behind him and smearing his face with color. He turned around angrily and glared at his annoyingly happy sister dressed in a white kurta that was soaked and smeared with every colour of the rainbow. 'Di, the wedding is enough of a nuisance, now what?!' he asked irritatedly, 'Arey Idiot, its Holi, can you please try and act a little excited' she said and smacked his arm playfully, he wiped his face on his sleeve and looked at her with a fake smile 'Really, well here you go then, you asked for it' he said and emptied the entire packet of dark purple color all over her head. She blinked a few times and shrugged 'Well atleast that made you play Holi' she said and stuck out her tongue at him and smiled mischievously.

'Di you know that festivals and all this  noisy excitement annoys me so go have fun with Dhruv or Nk'  Arnav said and turned back to his plants, he stopped midway when he felt his sisters hand on his shoulder, 'It did not annoy you a few years ago, time heals Arnav and its time you allow yourself to be healed. How long are you going to let the past hold you back from being happy' she said and questioned him with sad concerned eyes, 'Di I'm fine and its time you stop thinking that I'm not happy, its just that I have changed, lets say I've grown up unlike some people' he said and looked down at her with a smirk. Anjali played along with his trick of changing the subject and drowning it with sarcasm and mischief, 'Ok then Mr Grownup-I-don't-have-fun-anymore-Raizada keep talking to your deaf and mute plants' she said ran away after smearing his face and shirt with more bright orange color.

Arnav smiled at his sisters concern, it wasn't that he had grown up, its just time changed everything and he was unprepared for all the sudden changes and daggers life suddenly threw at him. Everything changed so swiftly that in the end he failed to believe in these very colors that once brought him joy, he found himself standing abandoned and deprived of love and from then on he had started looking at things a little differently, he stopped believing. Anjali knew that and he smiled sadly to himself thinking of all the vain efforts she had put into trying to make things the same way they were a few years ago.

-------------------------------------

'Happy Holi beta' Khushi's father smiled at her and gently smeared a little of yellow on her cheek, Khushi looked up at him mischievously and returned his gentle smear by rubbing a bright blue color all over his face 'Happy Holi' she said in a high joyous voice and hid behind her mother as she watched her father pick up  one of the water guns, she swiftly ran across the lawn away from her father who was intent on taking revenge when she found herself suddenly drenched in purple water, she looked up at to see Jiya laughing loudly and holding the empty bucket over Khushi's dripping form, she looked at her friend who was still dressed in a squeaky clean white T-shirt and emptied all the colors she was holding all across Jiya's face and clothes, they tumbled to the ground giggling and trying to smear as much color on each other as possible when both of them looked up startled to find water splashing on them from all directions, 'ATTACK!' Sashi yelled and the entire neighborhood joined in to try and make the other person look as ugly and colorful as possible.

Khushi smiled through all the colors drifting and flying across the lawn, her own face caked with every color imaginable and looked up at the clear sky and sighed, her heart was brimming with warmth that was missing in her life for so long. She smiled contentedly when another bucket of color and numerous water guns were targeted at her, there is no way her family was going to spare her today.

nj.123 thumbnail
Ch 5-  Anxious 

Khushi lifted the thaal of flowers and rushed upstairs to provide instructions to the decorator, the haldi ceremony was today and everybody was in an absolute rush. She later checked if all the things she had ordered were in place and hurried to Jiya's room. She smiled at Jiya who was busy combing her hair for an unusually long time, 'Have you realized you've already brushed your hair 50 times since morning' Khushi looked back and told Jiya mockingly after placing the heavily laden thaal on the bedside table.

Jiya looked at Khushi and smiled sarcastically 'You counted?' , 'No, I din't but you've spent almost an hour doing nothing but brushing your hair, if its like this today I can't imagine your state on the wedding day' Khushi dramatically said and laughed loudly pulling Jiya into a bear hug. 'Now if you're done can you please come down before Dhruv's family arrives' she said and left the room hurriedly. 

The house was noisy and filled with almost every member of Jiya's extended family, neighbors and many friends, there were yellow flowers adorning every wall, staircase and even ceilings and snacks were being served nonstop as people gathered in groups and gossiped munching on samosas and sipping hot tea. Khushi helped Anu aunty, Jiya's mother to set up the place where the bride and groom would be seated and the haldi ceremony would take place. Dhruv and Jiya had already planned that every function will take place together with both their families present.

An hour later Dhruv's family finally arrived, Khushi was soon introduced to Dhruv's mother Manorama who never quit trying to perfect her English, his father Manohar a very kind and gentle man and his Dadi who was a lovely wise woman whom Khushi liked at once. The house was even more noisy now that everyone had arrived and people were enthusiastically exchanging greetings and hugs. 'Uncle do you mind if we wait for some time until Anjali Di arrives' Dhruv requested Sharma Uncle, 'No problem beta, come have a seat, everyone is enjoying snacks right now so the ceremony can begin after some time' Uncle said and guided the family to where all the snacks and beverages were served. 'Khushi beta can you please ask Jiya to come down' Anu aunty asked Khushi.

Khushi ran up the stairs once again, admiring the sweet smell of flowers that hung in every corner of the house, She barged into Jiyas room and loudly announced 'They have come!' , Jiya looked over at Khushi surprised 'Oh No' she exclaimed quickly pinning the white beaded dupata to her shoulder, the lehnga with sparkling silver designs looking absolutely gorgeous on her. Khushi led her friend down the stairs and walked her over to where everybody was seated and all at once there were appreciations filling the air, Jiya greeted Dhruvs family and smiled mischievously at him, complimenting him on the white kurta that looked perfect on him  before taking a seat next to her parents who were discussing about the various events for the Sangeet.

-------------

'Di can you calm down' Arnav said angrily, his sister was grumbling about being late and all he could do was roll his eyes at her, she was the one who insisted on going to the temple before the haldi ceremony and now she was dumping all the blame on him for not driving fast enough. 'What calm Arnav, we are late for Dhruvs haldi! How do you expect me to be calm, drive faster!'she exclaimed and looked at her watch and let out a sigh.

'That street, take a right turn' Anjali directed and looked out of the window anxiously as Arnav tried looking for a place to park. He drew up before the white house with a large lawn, the noise  and loud bollywood music blaring out of the speakers assured him that he was at the right place. 'Di you go ahead, I'll park and be there in a while' he said. 'Fine' Anjali said and got out slowly.

Arnav heaved a sigh of relief, he did not want to be here for the haldi but when his sister had asked him to drive her over, he just couldn't refuse, now if he tried making an excuse and slipping away she would never spare him.

He pulled into the empty parking space and got out of his car, slipped his keys into his pocket and looked at the large house, he couldn't escape from this one he thought helplessly and walked towards the front gate.

-------------

Khushi placed the plate of Jalebi's on the counter after munching on a dozen of them, she had insisted that Jalebi's would be abundantly ordered for every ceremony and Jiya had made sure that the caterers had supplied more than enough. Jalebis were her favourite especially when she was really sad, really happy or really nervous, today Khushi could not recognize the reason behind her sudden craving for them. She could not place her finger on it but for some reason she felt a little anxious, troubled and worried. She wondered if it had anything to do with finally being back home and walked out of the kitchen after drinking a large glass of water. 

Khushi stilled near the entrance and observed Jiya's happy smile as she giggled over something funny with Dhruv, she felt so happy for her friend and planning this wedding was a lot of fun especially because Jiya and Dhruv made sure that they participated enthusiastically in each plan that was being made. 

Khushi stopped to enquire about the Sangeet venue with Anu aunty when she suddenly turned around at the commotion, she watched Dhruv and Jiya being hugged by a woman in a stunning lemon yellow saree, Khushi watched as Jiya exclaimed in an angry mock voice 'Anjali Di you are late', 'What can I do, your my darling brother drives the car at tortoise speed' she giggled and pulled Dhruv's cheeks. Khushi could not see Anjali's face but something seemed familiar about her, she did not have time to ponder over her thoughts since everyone was moving towards the tiny tent like structure set up for the haldi. 'Your Bhai will come Dhruv, sit he's just parking' she heard Anjali say cheerfully as the family pulled over the curtain between Dhruv and Jiya.

Khushi did not know why but a sudden feeling of unease had settled within her as she carried the mixture of haldi . She mechanically handed the bowl to Jiya's mother and wondered why she felt like something was going to change, it frightened her that she felt the same way she did many years back when she walked out of her home to lead a life where everything changed. She could sense that something was going to change and it made her feel anxious because she really din't know what it was.  
nj.123 thumbnail
Ch 6-  So Cold

'Life has a weird way of throwing at us  the exact things we are trying to run away from and forces us to confront them'

Arnav stepped into the noisy house, he could see people bustling and moving around everywhere, noise, loud laughter and lots of people, he found himself trapped at that moment. He spotted Anjali standing behind Dhruv, they were seated in front of a large white sheet separating both the families, ridiculous tradition Arnav smirked to himself and walked over to where his family was busy smearing Dhruv's face with haldi, he felt really bad for his poor cousin who looked ridiculous in yellow. 

'Having fun, Dhruv?' Arnav smirked and watched Dhruv roll his eyes at his overenthusiastic mother who was determined to not to miss a spot on Dhruvs face, 'Bhai, this is torture' he moaned as Mami smeared the mixture all over his nose and even his forehead.  'Its not torture, you'l see its brilliant effect when you look stunning on your wedding' Anjali replied and took a handful of the mixture. 'Yeah you'll look like you have jaundice' Arnav joked and scrolled through his emails expecting a sudden punch from Anjali but none came, instead he soon felt fingers over his cheek rubbing the yellow paste thoroughly. He glared at his sister who was giggling along with Mami and everyone else who found the incident very funny but right now he just wanted to get out of this place and get rid of the yucky paste. 'Wheres the washroom?' he asked Mami and walked away before glancing at Anjali and assuring her that he would take revenge. 

He wiped his face with his handkerchief and quickly strode to the washroom when he suddenly bumped into someone who was in an absolute hurry, 'I'm sorry' he heard the girl murmur and rush ahead with something in her hand, he watched her disappear through the doorway without even glancing back, the bright yellow salwar kameez catching his eye and the murmur seeming to be so faint but yet it held something so familiar, he also heard the tinkling of her anklets slowly fade away as she walked out into the hall.He simply shook his head at his bizarre thoughts and walked into the washroom to get cleaned.

He walked out of the washroom, his face scrubbed clean with soap. He made his way to the hall, all ready and set to make an excuse and leave the place. He met Dhruv and the rest of the family already, he decided that he would greet Jiya and then leave after convincing Anjali.

----------

Khushi rubbed the yellow paste onto her friends cheeks lovingly, Jiya looked very pretty seated in the center with her cheeks and arms smeared with haldi. She stood up and made way for Jiya's neighbors to participate in the ceremony, she walked to the corner of the hall and sneaked a look at Dhruv who seemed to be having a tough time handling so many people pulling at his cheeks. Khushi shook her head and laughed to herself before moving to the garden to get some fresh air, she was starting to get a head ache from all the noise.

--------

After greeting Jiya and his parents Arnav told Anjali he was leaving since the ceremony was almost over and Dhruv was ready to get washed. He walked out to the lawn after ignoring Anjali's pleas for him to stay over for lunch by convincing her that his work could not be postponed. He stood still and pulled out his phone to call Aman in order to inform him that the meeting with the Khana's need not be delayed. 'Yes Aman, ask them to meet me at the office at four' he said and snapped his phone shut and walked forward when he came to a sudden standstill. Tinkling of anklets, the same sound he had heard before striding angrily into the washroom, involuntarily he looked around looking for the source of the sound and turned around sensing that it was coming from behind him. 

He stood frozen to his spot, it seemed like everything had come to a sudden stand still, it was her. He did not know what he was feeling at that moment, he only knew that things that he had tried burying deep within were resurfacing again, unhealed wounds suddenly seemed to be cruelly torn open but beneath all that he failed to recognize the familiarity, the comfort and the presence he had longed for so much during those times of excruciating pain. The girl in the yellow salwar was her, no wonder he had felt the similarity, he noticed  the changes in her as she walked towards him, her eyes still trained elsewhere without having noticed him yet, it was her, she looked so different, the messy fringes were gone, the lose baggy clothes replaced and standing before him was a woman, someone so different from the girl he had known, the girl who had walked away when he needed her the most. Now all he could do was stand and stare as all the hurt, the pain and the loneliness returned to fill his empty heart as he watched her walk towards him absolutely unaware of the turmoil within him. The crumbled pieces of himself which he had tried bringing together were falling apart again, this moment and the girl standing before him were making him fall apart, painfully by bringing back all those memories he had tried casting away, all the bitterness he had strived to erase.

----------

Khushi massaged her head as she walked, her headache was getting worse. She stepped down the stairs and walked into the lawn looking around for some place to sit, when she could find none she decided to keep walking towards the swing placed at the entrance. She turned her eyes to the entrance in search of the swing and in that moment she felt herself going breathless . She found herself standing in a place she had prayed she would never have to be in, she was looking straight into eyes she could never forget, eyes that she had once loved. 'Arnav' a whisper left her lips as she watched the man standing before her in a suit,neat hair and clenched fists, no longer the boy with tousled hair and worn out sneakers but what she found most different and even very frightening was what she saw in those eyes, they were empty, no joy, no smiles, just a hollow pit that made her feel concerned and pained. She did not know this would happen and that it would happen so unexpectedly, her heart pounded as she watched him stand unresponsive, there was no joy and recognition in his eyes, just empty bitterness that she no longer recognized. She could not recognize what she was feeling right then, a part of her wanted to embrace this moment and find joy in meeting someone so close to her heart and a part of her whispered harshly and warned her to protect herself, she could not allow herself to break anymore, she would not be able to rescue herself if she lost the battle and ran away this time, she needed to stay strong.

Just when she decided to walk up to him, pretend to be strong and talk to the person whom she had dreamed and thought about endlessly without trying to not break herself in the process she heard Dhruv's voice exclaim behind her 'Bhai, you left your wallet behind' Dhruv walked up to Arnav and handed him his wallet, he called Khushi over and introduced her 'Bhai this is Khushi, Jiya's best friend and Khushi this is my cousin Arnav, my family is staying at his house for the wedding' Dhruv said while Khushi watched the cold eyes stare back at her indifferently, she disguised her hurt and smiled slightly  before looking back into those eyes that showed no sign of being pleased seeing her, instead she noticed how he had clenched his jaw, a habit that allowed him to hold back his anger. Seeing how coldly he looked at her after so many years hurt and Khushi was trying her best to not allow those tears to flow which were painfully burning behind her eyes, she watched as he nodded at Dhruv 'I have to head to the office, see you later' he said to Dhruv and walked out after stiffly nodding at both of them, not bothering to turn around and smile. 'Bhai must be in a rush' Dhruv tried explaining apologetically while Khushi told him that it was not a problem and walked to the little garden by the entrance.

She slumped down on the swing, her headache was long gone and replaced by a dull burning pain within her heart. The sudden distance hurt, those cold eyes hurt her, the indifference tore at her heart and most of all the held back pain behind those eyes pained her immensely. She finally let those tears flow as they endlessly trailed down her cheeks, releasing a tiny portion of the pain she felt at that moment. How could he be so cold after so many years?, How could he not understand and blame her for walking away when it was him who failed to know her heart?', she wondered why his anger was still present, she had merely left but why was he still angry for a decision that she had made for herself she wondered and wiped away the tears which failed to stop. 

Today he had caused her more pain than when he told her that he loved Naina, today he deliberately pained her and this angered Khushi. She had not done anything that deserved so much anger, so much indifference. She needed answers, it was him questioning her before but now she needed to know why he was being so cold even if it brought back her bitter memories and a painful past she had to find out. Khushi wiped her tears and walked back into the house, she had to confront this, she was not an immature silly girl anymore to simply walk away, she smiled sadly, after all the effort to run away today ironically brought back everything and he made her hurt even more than she had ever imagined it would.

-----------------

Arnav sighed deeply and closed his eyes, the images were back, the pain, the bitterness and anger it was all seeping into him again and this time he could do nothing but let it flow through him, he felt helpless.

Khushi, she brought back those unpleasant memories he had been running away from, in an effort to keep moving on. He could do nothing but look at her coldly today, the anger, the hurt, he knew seeing so much indifference in his eyes tore at her, he could see a reflexion of the pain in the slight sad smile she had passed him. Arnav opened his eyes, they were red with unshed tears, unerased pain and so much held back and locked away. He remembered what happened 8 years ago and winced painfully, it hurt so much even now, the feeling of being abandoned, the loneliness it all came back and left him feeling so lost. She was here and he could say nothing, do nothing except place on her all his anger, bitterness and blame. He was being utterly selfish.

'Khushi can you put that book down, how long are you gonna keep reading, I have so much to tell you' Arnav said in irritation and pulled sightly at her messy hair as they sat by the lake, their legs dangling beneath and almost touching the cool water. 'Wait Arnav, its the last page, just keep quiet for 5 minutes' she said and rolled her eyes before she resumed reading.

'Okay tell me ' Khushi finally put down the book and looked at him, her fringes falling all over her forehead and eyes. 'Ma is going to visit Anjali in Pune, dad finally agreed to let her go' Arnav said happily, 'Really, wow Aunty must be so happy right, do you think he'l forget all the anger and accept Anjali and Sameer Bhai?' Khushi asked him with wide concerned eyes 'I don't know about that but Ma is very happy and this is the first time in so many years that she has smiled after Anjali left to Pune, all that pain is finally gone' Arnav looked down and sighed in relief.

He felt Khushi hold his hand gently, 'Do you think he will ever love Ma the way she deserves to be loved?' Arnav asked slowly in a soft voice, 'He will Arnav, him letting aunty go and visit Anjali is a sign of concern and aunty always has you, the most loving son anyone can ask for' Khushi assured him and pressed his hand comfortingly, 'and I always have you, the most wonderful best friend in the whole world' he said and looked at her thankfully, 'Always' she said as they looked at the sun set slowly over the cliffs and disappear before their young happy eyes.

Always...he remembered and closed his eyes as a feeling of pain and being betrayed shot right through him. Arnav Singh Raizada was facing his past all over again.

nj.123 thumbnail
Ch 7  Realizations 

'We make mistakes, we say words we don't mean to and at the end of it we hardly ever realize how much pain we've caused'

'Khushi where did you suddenly disappear?' Jiya asked Khushi as she stepped into the hall and pulled her along to where everyone was seated, many were cracking jokes, others singing and dancing in circles. 'I want you to meet someone special' Jiya said and pushed through the crowd in the living room. Khushi looked on as Jiya lead Khushi towards Anjali, only then did she finally recognize her, the face was too familiar. Khushi had not seen Anjali since she was 9, Anjali had then married Sameer at twenty despite her fathers refusal and acceptance, they moved to Pune after that. It did not strike her at first that this was Arnav's sister since she had been unable to see her face when the ceremony began but now after meeting Arnav there was no doubt that this was Anjali Di, someone Arnav was always concerned about, someone he wished his father had not driven away.

'Anjali Di this is my friend Khushi and Khushi this is Dhruv's cousin and someone who helped him in winning my heart' Jiya laughed and winked at Anjali, 'Khushi, Oh my God are you Khushi Gupta?' Anjali asked with wide eyes and stood up, Khushi smiled and nodded when Anjali recognized her immediately. 'You were this tiny when I left to Pune' Anjali said making gestures with her hand and laughed softly, 'You two know each other' Jiya asked puzzled. 'Yes Arnav and Khushi were best friends since nursery and these two used to come and play at home everyday, created a ruckus each time' she said and pulled Khushi's cheeks lovingly. 'Okay I'll leave you two to catch up then' Jiya said and walked away when her mother called her to  meet a few guests. Khushi turned back to Anjali and smiled 'How are you Di?', 'I'm fine, I'm here for the wedding and then back to Pune, Sameer and my son Yash are eagerly waiting for my return' she said and laughed, 'Aww you have a son' Khushi felt so happy, Arnav had worried each day about his sisters well being and now seeing Anjali as such a happy woman before her filled her heart with a lot of joy.

'How is Neetu aunty?' Khushi asked when the smile faltered on Anjali's face, 'She passed away Khushi, leukemia, its been 7 years, din't Arnav tell you?' Anajali asked Khushi with a sad smile, 'I'm so sorry' Khushi held Anjali's hand 'I left Delhi to do my UG course, have'nt been in contact with Arnav since then' Khushi explained and blinked away the tears that were slowly forming in her eyes. 'That's okay, so tell me what are you doing?' Anjali changed the topic and wiped away the pain with a smile, 'I'm here in Delhi helping Jiya with her firms expansion and helping with the wedding of course' Khushi said and chatted with Anjali for a while.

-------------------------

Khushi stepped into her room after returning from the ceremony, she sighed and fell back on her bed. Today had unexpectedly turned things around for her and so many things had happened all at once, she was just so exhausted. Neetu aunty passed away and she did not know anything about that, she remembered how kind Arnav's mother had always been, welcoming Khushi each time no matter how much they messed up the room everyday, she taught Khushi to make Jalebi's at six and it was sad that she was no more, Khushi wondered how Arnav must have felt, she had not been by his side when this happened and it hurt to think how shattered he must have felt. Khushi wiped away her tears, she did not know anything about his life anymore, she purposely avoided asking about Arnav or Naina to Anjali today and Khushi felt clueless about how he must be feeling, the distance, the anger, it all confused her and now finding out about how someone he loved so much passed away made her feel broken, she needed to know if he was alright.

Khushi fell asleep thinking of the same person she had tried erasing from her mind, she fell asleep feeling broken for not having shared his pain and for leaving him all alone.

--------------

Arnav rubbed his eyes and shut his laptop, all this work was not helping him forget what happened today. Someone knocked at the door, he turned around and found Anjali standing at the door with a cup of tea. 

'Don't work so much, you'll fall sick' Anjali said and sat next to him with a concerned look on her face. 'Di, I was just going through a few files' Arnav mumbled and took the tea from her. 'Tell me whats wrong Chotey, I know something is wrong, you look very weak and tired' Anjali asked and pushed back a few stray locks of his hair. 'Its nothing Di, I just have a very important meeting, how was the rest of the haldi' Arnav asked with a smile and masked his disturbed state.

Same as always not letting her know about what was troubling him Anjali thought to herself sadly and smiled at him. 'I met Khushi today, she said that you two haven't been in contact since she left' Anjali asked with a surprised look and watched her little brother look at her, the expression on his face not giving away anything. 'Yeah Di, there was just no time to keep in touch' he said with a small smile and looked away at a few files, 'She looked a little sad today, you know how her eyes used to sparkle always, now she just seems so calm and quiet' Anjali voiced her thoughts aloud and looked at Arnav who was still observing his files 'Did you meet her?' she finally asked. 'Yes Di, I saw her before leaving' he muttered and made a few corrections in the papers. Anjali pulled away the papers 'Go to sleep,its already 12' Anjali said angrily and pulled him up to his feet before heading out.

'She just seems so calm and quiet' these words repeated in Arnav's mind as he looked at his lillies, Khushi had never been quiet except when she was reading something, she even mumbled when she slept and Arnav felt guilty thinking he had been too harsh today. It was not her fault that things had gone wrong with him, he did expect her to stay by his side but blaming her for going away was just him being very selfish. He had thought about their meeting the entire evening and each time her eyes flashed before him, Anjali was right they did not sparkle anymore, he had hurt her today and he did nothing but walk away so nonchalantly, paining her even more by ignoring the questions in her eyes.

It was her life and she decided to move away from Delhi, he had no right to blame her for a decision she had taken for herself. He closed his eyes and realized how much he had wronged her today, the bond between them withered away when she was absent when he needed  her the most but blaming her for it was foolish. He needed to apologize he decided, this was a grave mistake on his part. 

nj.123 thumbnail
Ch 8    Promises

The phone rang and Khushi was startled out of her dreamless sleep, she mumbled in irritation and opened one eye and glanced at the clock. She wondered who could be calling her at 11 in the night. She picked up the phone to hear Jiya's lively voice exclaim 'Khushi!, You were sleeping', to which she muttered 'Not at all, I got bored so I thought why not go for a picnic at 11 in the night', 'Haahaha, your sarcastic comments are so not funny, by the way I had to tell you something important, Dhruv's parents have an idea for the wedding and since we have week left maybe we can make a few changes' Jiya enquired, the word 'wedding' had Khushi wide awake 'What plan?' Khushi asked. 'We were just chatting and they mentioned about their farmhouse in Nainital and I exclaimed about how I had always wanted get married on a hill station, now they have asked me if the plans can be changed, I'm confused, won't it mess up all the arrangements?' Khushi sat up on her bed 'That is a terrific idea and I have no idea why you are confused about this, there are only a few guests for the wedding since you wanted it to be something  private and I'm sure bookings and all that is not going to be difficult since Nainital is only a few hours away from Delhi, we haven't finalised the catering arrangements with Mr.Seth so changes are definitely possible' Khushi assured her. 

'Okay then I'll tell them to make arrangements, I want you to meet them in the morning to discuss changes' Jiya said. 'Okay man goodnight, we'll talk about this tomorrow' Khushi yawned and put the phone down and closed her eyes to fall asleep dreaming about snow peaked mountains and magical weddings for a change.

--------------------

Khushi fastened the purple earings and glanced at her reflection in the mirror, today was the Sangeet and reception both combined together and tomorrow they would all be travelling to Nainital for the wedding, she was very excited about the whole new plan that they had managed to bring up thankfully it was a small private wedding so changes could be made easily. She looked at herself and admitted that her excitement was not entirely because of the wedding, she had decided that she would talk to Arnav and she did not know how this was going to affect her, she did not even care about how cold he had behaved the last time, she only knew that it was time they talked, it was time she tried mending what had gone wrong, she had to be there for him. 

'Khushi how much longer' Arnav sighed and rubbed his eyes sleepily. They had an exam and an assignment to submit tomorrow  and her she was stuck with a part of her project just a day before the exam, thankfully they had prepared for the exam in advance. 

'Arnav you go home, its already 10, you have to be fresh for the exam tomorrow' Khushi begged him to go but he was simply being a stubborn ass. 'Give me that' he said and took the notes from her, 'Couldn't you ask me before, I've already done an entire research on this' he rolled his eyes at her, 'You were completing your work' she said quietly. 'We still have time, I'll help you out'. They sat together and worked  on the project till 12, with Khushi's mom occasionally bringing in hot tea and biscuits.

'Thank you, now go home and sleep properly or you won't be able to write the exam' she said and smiled at him while standing at the door, 'You shouldn't have stayed you know, I would have managed somehow' she said after some time. 'I'm not going to fall asleep, stop worrying ok, if I hadn't completed the assignment you would have done the same thing, so apna yeh thanks apne pass hi rakhna, you only used to say that thing right..No matter...' he scratched his head unable to remember, 'No matter what happens,every change,even the biggest storm  I'll always be there for you and you for me' she said quietly and rolled her eyes 'Now go' she said and forcefully pushed him out of the door as he laughed and yelled 'Goodnight'.

A lot of things had changed and many things had come their way, even though she'd promised she had to break it eventually, for both her and his sake but now she had to try and be there for him, their friendship and those promises were not entirely meaningless.

She pulled her hair into a lose knot, with a few strands falling prettily in front and looked at her dark purple dress with a happy smile before heading out.

--------------------

Arnav looked ahead as he drove the car, tunning out Anjali and NK's chatter and focussed on the road ahead. The wedding plans had been changed, it was going to be in Nainital and he was annoyed about the amount of work that is gonna pile up at the office. He took a turn and wondered how he was going to apologize to Khushi, they had been best friends and things got ruined when she walked away and right now he was ruining things even more by being so cold, he knew he had no right to be angry, he did not even try contacting her once she left and now when she was back again he should have at least tried being polite. No matter how much he tried putting the blame on her, the truth was that she had once been his best friend, his most important strength and support in life and she deserved more than his meaningless hatred.

-------------------

'Jiya, the guests have started coming, Druv will be here soon, get ready' Anu aunt said and walked out of the room. Khushi helped pull up the zipper on Jiya's dress when Jiya asked her 'You and Arnav  Bhai were best friends, how come you never mentioned him?' , Khushi looked up a her and answered after a moment of silence ''Its just that...' Khushi started when Anu aunty came back and interrupted them 'Come down soon'. 'Yeah aunty, she's ready' Khushi said and pushed Jiya out of the room after fastening the dupatta onto her shoulder and brushing her hair slightly to the front.

Khushi stood silently and looked at the bright yellow walls blankly, she would soon have to talk to him and somewhere deep down  there was a tiny flicker of fear that she would fall, her feelings for him would resurface again but she shook it away telling herself that she had come a long way from the uncertain hormonal teenager, now she knew what was right for her, she was much more strong and firm.

------------------

Khushi walked down the stairs and noticed that Dhruv and Jiya were already seated for the function and the performances for the Sangeet had already begun. She walked to where the entire family was seated and watched the various dances and performances. Dhruv's friends put up a hilarious musical on how Jiya and Dhruv met and she couldn't help but laugh out loud at the comic portrayal of the disastrous meeting at the anniversary party, the hideous fights and gooey romance. She wiped away the tears formed in her eyes from laughing so hard and smiled at Jiya's red face, she turned around to ask Anu aunty about dinner when she stilled and her eyes met his. 

Arnav was staring right at her and when she looked at him this time he did not look away coldly instead he smiled hesitantly at her, his eyes narrowing a little, the same way he did when he felt guilty about something, those brown eyes had changed little but what they contained now was certainly not what Khushi was familiar with, behind the hesitant smile she noticed pain that slowly seeked to release itself vainly, she saw quiet sadness and a desperate need for relief. 

She smiled back slightly before she was distracted by Anu aunty who complimented Khushi on her lovely purple dress and asked her where she got it from. She murmured a reply absentmindedly and turned her head, seeking his eyes eagerly but he was gone and she wondered if this time things would be different between them, she wished she could be the friend she promised she would always be.