story of astika from Mahabharata

whitewitch thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 7 years ago
Astika was an ancient Hindu rishi (sage), and he was a son of Jaratkaru by the serpent goddess Manasa - a sister of the great serpent king Vasuki. According to the Mahabharata, he saved the life of a serpent Takshaka, the king of snakes, when king Janamejaya organized a snake sacrifice known as Sarpa Satra, where he made great sacrifices of serpents, to avenge for the death of his father Parikshit [1] due to snake bite of Takshaka. Ultimately, he induced and prevailed upon the king to end his persecution of the serpent race.[2] That day was Shukla Paksha Panchami in the month of Shravan and is since celebrated as the festival of Nag Panchami.[3]
Source - Wikipedia
Whether
This astik and our astik is same. I have no idea.
Do share your stories of astika here

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

abhiya_12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7
Thanks for the story,even though I know about the story but never noticed astika is the savior
sahilya thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Tfs
I too know the story of parikshit,janmejaya and takshak but was not aware of Astika who saved Takshak.but what is the relation of Mahabharat Arjun with this Astika?
whitewitch thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: sahilya

Tfs

I too know the story of parikshit,janmejaya and takshak but was not aware of Astika who saved Takshak.but what is the relation of Mahabharat Arjun with this Astika?

None . But takshak harbour hatred to Indra who abandoned him on time of yagya.
Here they modified him