Bharath Reflection and Lakshman Shadow of Ram

shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 8 years ago
Before I start the topic a big thanks to DD for initiating this thought process in me. So scientifically what is the difference between reflection and a shadow. Reflection happens from bouncing the light, whereas shadow blocks the light. And if you observe you can see reflection at the same position. Reflection doesn't move on its own. It is static. Whereas shadow with time it moves around. You can see shadow in front, shadow in side and shadow behind based on the time of the day. Also the length of the shadow also varies it can be short and long.
Everyone love to see their reflection in the mirror. But how many of us have paid attention to the shadow. And if you look reflection is an illusion, whereas shadow is a reality. Reflection gives you what you give to it. So if your reflection is not good looking, then you are not giving the right things to yourself.
But shadow, shadow is not in your control, it is in the control of the time. Based on the time it.

What does it means in life. Your shadow is your defense. Something which is always with you, something that looks dark, but understand it takes the hit, so that you can be protected at that particular time. Something which understands from where you will get attacked and positions itself accordingly so that you are always protected. You do not realize its presence. But imagine its absence. It is there as long as you live, as long as your physical body is present, its absence is the absence of your physical body.

But reflections they continue to be there even in your absence. Because they are what you have given out. They represent your values, your thought process, your ideals and creates your immortality.

But if your reflection has to be good and doing something worthwhile for the society, you need to understand your shadow. Understand time and act according to the time. In tandem with the laws of nature, so that nature's defense, just like the shadow is always with you. So instead of spending your time with reflection, spend your time with shadow. Reflection will happen on its own. People always give importance to reflection. My image and never pay attention to shadow. They never understand without the right actions at the right time, the reflection will not look the same as its now.

And from Ramayan perspective when Ram and Siya went for Vanvass they had to leave behind their reflections Bharat and Urmila respectively so that the people of Ayodhya never felt that they were deprived of good governance. And Bharat and Urmila were good reflections because Ram and Siya had understood their shadows.

Lakshman is Ram's shadow and in a way you can say Mandavi is Siya's shadow. In the forest Lakshman was that defense for Siya-Ram. He was that protective force who acted according to situation. Who was the emotional strength of his brother and who played the most important role in bringing down the greatest defense of Ravan. Meghnadh.

And Mandavi, when Bharat rejected the kingdom, Mandavi could have made or broke the decision. Any action of her which is not in line with the decision of hers would have boomranged not only in family but also for society. But abiding by Bharat's decision, without craving for the crown herself, she defended the foundation of the family like a true shadow. Because her sister loved and cared her a lot.

Shadows they teach us. Pay attention to them to create a good reflection.
Edited by shruthiravi - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

avalonhigh1234 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
What a beautiful analogy, Shruthi of the two important things connected to 'self' and thus life. A shadow is dark and a silhouette while a reflection is light and has a form. Our shadow follows us everywhere while a reflection needs a surface. One remains intangible while the other is  forever an illusion. Both are subject to change. Both need a corporeal form to manifest themselves though in completely different planes.But both play important roles in our life.We are never completely away from them.
Ram needed his shadow,Lakshman to be with him in all his battles;and he needed his reflection Bharat to enable him to fulfill his life's mission,unfettered by his responsibilities.
Our scriptures completely embrace the philosophy'I think,Therefore I am'.
Savita
shruthiravi thumbnail
@Savitha if we look at Ramayan in depth we will understand why Bharat remained Ram's reflection. Because of Ram's decision to take vanvass not craving for power, though as per the advice of ministers he could have seized the throne.
Ram knew Lakshman will be with him, no matter what. And he wanted Bharat also by his side though with his thought process and values. He acted the right way to keep his reflection correct.

If he had seized power story would have been different as Kaikeyi or Manthara would have manipulated Bharat and the brothers would have been in logger heads always.
tuna_star thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Honestly I never realized this before you made this post... Agree to all you said...
Mandavi have never been given any importance,urmila was given importance in later texts but mandavi never...
avalonhigh1234 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Ram could not have seized power knowing that he had failed in fulfilling his father's promise.As you said previously he needed to regulate Sudarshan -his most destructive weapon, He did it with a deep love ,affection and respect{moh ke daaghe!].
Lord Vishnu needed his Shesh as well as his Sudarshan in his avatar as Ram. If you look at it as a metaphor God needed his Sita{the source of energy},His Sheshnag{the conduit} to destroy evil. But he utilized his Sudarshan in a constructive way{to safeguard and nurture humanity in his absence].Whereas as Krishna he used Sudarshan to destroy evil and manifested himself as a teacher, friend philosopher and guide to Arjun{who represents a jivatma}. Thus in both avatars Sudarshan was always in God's control.
Savita
fatssrilanka thumbnail
Shruti, there's always something to learn from your posts. There's a huge difference between our  reflection and shadow even though they belong to us. Loved the way you described Lakshman and Bharat as Ram's shadow and reflection respectively. 
shruthiravi thumbnail
@Savitha coming to Sudharsan I heard a beautiful analogy today morning. My mom puts some Tamil channel not sure which one early morning where the descriptions temples, specialty of deities etc is spoken. I listen absent mindedly as I run through the morning chores as I am working.
Today the anchor of this show was talking about Sudarsan and its connection to life. He was telling life is always cyclic. Just like the movement of cycle has ups and downs, our life also has ups and down. And if we surrender our life at Lord's feet he will direct it appropriately so that the life is used constructively, enabling good and destroying bad. He said the Sudarsan Chakra which is also circular and Lord's destructive weapon is in his control and that is symbolic of our life in his control, for his purpose, for the larger benefit of humanity. And I found this analogy so profound, so logical that, I felt there is much more things hidden in our symbols than they appear to be.  

And coming to Krishna even Sheshnag was there as Balram and he showed what a neutral person should be doing. Both Bhima and Duri were his disciples and as a teacher he kept away from war not favoring any one side, which ideally both Bhishma and Drona should have done. Actually even in Krishna avatar, the Lord used Seshnag for guidance.
Edited by shruthiravi - 8 years ago
daydreamers thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Shruthi my two shots is based on this only re ðŸ˜†
Unfortunately m down with conjunctivitis so couldn't update it. My condition has deteriorated today so took a pause.. But aap toh hume peeche chod ke aage nikal li ðŸ˜² ðŸ˜†
Fruitcustard_9 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
but i consider urmila as shadow of sita , mandavi, shrutkiti as reflections o sita. plus sita shared a much closer, emotional relation with urmila than other too  , like ram & lakshman. like lakshman , urmila 2 was a great emotional support  2 sita from chilhood.
Frosty_Moon thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Amazing post shruti..
Superb analysis...