We should stop being surprised by film clashes: Farhan Akhtar

touch_of_pink thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 8 years ago

We should stop being surprised by film clashes'

Farhan Akhtar says it like it is

Chaya Unnikrishnan

After winning acclaim for his small but important role in Dil Dhadakne Do, Farhan Akhtar is readying for his next release, Wazir. The film has him playing an (Anti Terrorism Squad) ATS officer and sharing screen space with Amitabh Bachchan, who he had directed a decade ago in Lakshya. Here he talks about his upcoming films Wazir and Rock On 2, his wish for a sequel to Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, and why he is enjoying acting more than directing for now.

You are one of the actors who believes in thoroughly prepping for the role " physically and mentally. Do you think that appearance is 50 per cent of the job done?

I don't know about half the job done, but yes appearance is a great start for a person watching it. It goes a long way in believing in the character that the actor plays. Whenever you want to buy something, it's the look that attracts you. So, once you get that right it's a good place to start. Every time I look into the mirror, I think of that character and not myself. When I start looking like the character, it motivates me to be him. But this kind of prep is only for certain roles in films like Bhaag Milkha Bhaag, Karthik Calling Karthik and now, Wazir. My characters in Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara and Rock On!! were closer to home.

What kind of preparation did you do for Wazir?

I haven't played a law enforcement officer before. It was a new world for me. There is a history to the world this character occupies. He has a certain body language, a decorum. He lives by the rule, so to speak. Fortunately, I know many people within the police force and I have always been fascinated by them " the way they behave socially, with family, and in office they are completely different people. But wherever they are, their eyes are very focussed. Yet, there's always something clicking behind. I spoke to a lot of people about their hours of work and family life and imbibed all that.

What appealed to you about the film?

I have known Bejoy (Nambiar, director) for a while and we always discussed about working together. It finally happened with Wazir. Plus there was Amitabh Bachchan who I was fortunate to have directed 10 years ago, and was getting an opportunity to act with him. The energy and enthusiasm with which he does each scene is inspiring. Usually, when we do the same thing day in and day out, fatigue sets in, but it doesn't seem to have come even into his neighbourhood! As for the film, it has a thriller element, which is apparent from the trailer. But there is also an emotional thread that runs through between my character and Aditi Rao Hydari's, who plays my wife. Then there's friendship between Bachchan's character and mine. Very rarely does a script come along which balances the pace required for a whodunit with the kind of thairav you need for an emotional story. And this story written by Abhijat Joshi and Vidhu Vinod Chopra does it.

You have finished one schedule of Rock On 2. Why did you choose to shoot in Shillong?

Rock On 2 is about a local problem that needed to be dealt with. We needed hills and farm for the setting, which in all honesty could have been any region of India. As a filmmaker, I want to try and bring different cultures into the mainstream. We have seen other states being featured in films, but the North-East is not visited, unless somebody wants to shoot a song. While watching and reading news I saw there has been a slight discriminatory attitude towards North-East students and girls. They are harrassed and asked to go back home, but India is their home. They can go anywhere they want like we do. Which is why I wanted to bring them into the mainstream. In fact, an amazing local rock band Summersalt has also performed and is featured in the film.

You seem to be enjoying acting over directing. When do you plan to direct a film?

I am just putting those pieces together. Earlier, I had decided that after Rock On 2, I will take a call. Now that Rock On2 shoot is coming to an end, I am a little anxious that I don't have anything to do after that. Within the next month I will have a plan of what I will do in 2016-17.

Your last directorial was Don2...

Yes. That was in 2011. That seems to be my track record " directing a film once in four years. Directing gives me a lot of satisfaction as it's about putting a film together. But I am enjoying the kind of work I am getting as an actor. I am hungry for more as a performer " working with different directors and co-actors. As for directing a film, I already have a script ready. In fact there are a couple of things I have written and I have enough enthusiasm to direct them.

Reportedly you want to do a period film...

Yes. One of the scripts is a period film. But I would rather not say anything now.

Heard you have been approached for Battle For Bittora?

(Smiles) Even I read about it, that's all I can say.

You've said that you want a sequel of Zindagi Na Milegi to be made...

Actually, I said that in context of a question that was put to me. Somebody asked me which of my films I would like to make a sequel to. Since Don 2 has been made and I am now shooting Rock On 2, I said Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara. I am sure everyone associated with the film would be very excited if Reema (Kagti) and Zoya (Akhtar) put together as good, if not a better script, as the first. It's a fun film to do. The characters have potential to go ahead. It is about friendship and love, which can be taken forward and intepreted the way they want to.

Your first film " Dil Chahta Hai " was also about friendship. Don't you want to make a sequel to it?

Not really. What I wanted to say in that story about three friends I have said it. I never felt the need to do a sequel. Films like Dil Dhadakne Do, Rock On and Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara take me emotionally back to the same world of friendship and people being there for each other. They fill the void and I don't miss it that much. If I didn't have these films, I would have seriously thought about a sequel to Dil Chahta Hai.

There have been a lot of speculations about Don 3 too...

I don't have a script for Don3 and we should just keep it at that.

Apart from Don is there any other old film that you would like to revisit?

No. Don was really the one I was very excited about, because of the kind of story it was. There was a cool factor even in the original 1978 film and I thought that would translate very well in today's times. It was not just about that film, it was my love for that time. For me, it was the best film to take and remake as a tribute to that time.

Lastly, your thoughts on Raees and Sultan clash.

I think we should stop being surprised by these things (clashes).

Published Date:  Dec 17, 2015

http://epaper.dnaindia.com/story.aspx?id=85334&boxid=38264&ed_date=2015-12-17&ed_code=820004&ed_page=1