Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

snehaHCAPK thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago

Originally posted by: KhatamKahani

Even if it were a miscarriage, it's not necessarily a mistake in vocabulary. A miscarriage is technically an abortion, it falls under abortion. Many English speaking Indians (and I'm guessing this is probably a carry over from old British usage as well) who are maybe 40 plus, I have heard using the word 'abortion' for miscarriage. That too, even some in the medical field.

yeah that could be a possible.Edited by snehaHCAPK - 8 years ago
gckasturi thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
I agree with some of the earlier people that it is just a misuse of the word abortion to imply miscarriage. I have heard my parents use abortion to mean that many times when they talk about someone having a miscarriage. It's something that the older generation of Indians do a lot.
In medical school, I remember that miscarriage was also referred to as a "spontaneous abortion", so maybe it's a carry-over of that except spontaneous has been dropped.
sandiab thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
I was also v ery confused ab this part. Bt its weird that aborion and miscarriage is used as the same phase. 1 is where u deliberate intend to kill the other is the death by the rejection of fetus by the body. Abortion is seen as something extremely distasteful and a person is seen in a bad light for them to do that bt miscarriage is no1s fault.      And I never knw that the older indian ppl used it as the same thing. Extremely weird. I prefer keeping these 2 words separate 1 is a choice the other not a choice. I think many woman if they had a miscarriage in this day and age would be shocked if they were told that they had an abortion instead of a miscarriage.
KhatamKahani thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
^ It is because medically a miscarriage is an abortion. What is generally referred to as abortion now is really 'induced abortion' and spontaneously occurring abortions are referred to as 'miscarriages.' It is only weird because usage now has changed. In the context of that time, it is completely normal. It is not really a misuse of the word. It is just that layman language changed. Edited by KhatamKahani - 8 years ago
Shilpi77 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
yes again today Sudhas dad used abortion but I think it was a miscarriage only and it was septic in some form which killed her...
thanks all for clarification.
farlu thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Yes she had a miscarriage .it's because kailash didn't stop physical relationship with her even doctor ask them to keep away.in one scene sudha was asking kailash to not do it doctor nei mana kia hai,but he didn't listen to her.