Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ibelieveinpink thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
This is true everywhere. If you watch the actresses roundtable in HW that problems lies there too. Some notable actresses even said that studio heads told them to get botox but they would never dare tell any of the leading men. It's so bogus. It's hard for women to get roles after the age of 40 and in BW 35, but it's even harder to get meaty, GOOD roles.
And then again we have the fair = beautiful mentality, which is why Koko despite being an amazing actress will never get here due. Same with Nandita and Smita Patil faced that issues too.
pallavi25 thumbnail

Originally posted by: ibelieveinpink

This is true everywhere. If you watch the actresses roundtable in HW that problems lies there too. Some notable actresses even said that studio heads told them to get botox but they would never dare tell any of the leading men. It's so bogus. It's hard for women to get roles after the age of 40 and in BW 35, but it's even harder to get meaty, GOOD roles.

And then again we have the fair = beautiful mentality, which is why Koko despite being an amazing actress will never get here due. Same with Nandita and Smita Patil faced that issues too.

Smita Patil was a successful actress in commercial cinama as well, she got a lot more roles than Konkona or Nandita Das get in today's time. 
IhateKhans thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
agree 100%. I find her beautiful and she is great actress
pink_kitten thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 8
Not just bollywood, the whole world is obsessed with beauty. 
We can't really blame it, as everyone has feelings like that because of human nature. We see beautiful people as healthy and ideal. But personality makes and breaks a person, even if there is a prettiest girl and she has a bad personality or she is not good at anything people won't really respect her much. So inner beauty is just as important as outer one.

Not everyone gets blessed with good looks though, so the key is to be the most presentable one can be. Take care of yourself, almost worship yourself and love yourself for who you are because if you keep getting hung up on what some idiots in the world say you will never find peace and happiness.

In the end everyone turns into a pile of dust, we all die and age.. even the most beautiful people, so it's not really something to care much about. It is the reality but it will not always be this way. 

MidnightRambler thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: pallavi25

Totally agree with Konkona! That is the misogynist mindset of BW!

Aging actors in 40s and 50s want to star opposite 20 yr olds, their heroines get younger in every film.

But their contemporary heroines with whom they had hit movies in the past, they are called aunties and supposed to retire, even if they look better and much younger than those aging heros. 

Lookswise also there is so much prejudice! Thats why brilliant actresses like Konkona Sen, Nandita Das dont get lead roles, because of their dark complexion. They want barbie dolls who cannot act, just be flowerpots in hero centric movies! 
I hope the good directors with good scripts change this trend in BW and bring a revolution!

Well put. I don't need to add anything else. 👏
Siddymfc thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
I forgot about that, 🥱 .. But I mean she's not like 20-22. She's approaching 30- but still he is too old for her lol
lhcj21 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: pallavi25

This total obsession with beauty and makeup must be a recent trend because Smita Patil and Amitabh Bachchan were big stars back in the 80s, and both were not conventionally good-looking or fair skinned. Smita did not put on layers of white paint either. And yet people loved her because of her acting skills. She acted in many commercially successful blockbusters as well as in parallel cinema.

Seems desis are getting more obsessed with pale complexions. 🥱

I knew this skin color prejudice has always been around and I thought recently things were changing with Priyanka, Lara, Bipasha, and Deepika entering the scene.  But I think you might be right that things might be going backwards.  We have all noticed that these dusky girls (even though they are pretty) have made their skin lighter.  I've asked this before, why even bring dark girls in the industry when filmmakers pressure them to lighten their skin??  In the 90s, Kajol had her tan complexion and she was successful.  I thought she was one of the most beautiful women of the 90s and she was a natural beauty too.  I never noticed her getting fairer in the 90s.  Only in recent times, she became fair.  

It's really sad.  And this skin color prejudice doesn't make any sense.  The audience is okay with dark men, but not women?  Well what do you think happens when genes mix??  We cannot control our genetics, but we can control the way we think.  
If bollywood  wasnt obsessed with beauty someone as vain, pretentious, fake, overhyped, plastic, and talentless as Aishwarya would have  never happend 
Resident_Evil thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: lhcj21

I knew this skin color prejudice has always been around and I thought recently things were changing with Priyanka, Lara, Bipasha, and Deepika entering the scene.  But I think you might be right that things might be going backwards.  We have all noticed that these dusky girls (even though they are pretty) have made their skin lighter.  I've asked this before, why even bring dark girls in the industry when filmmakers pressure them to lighten their skin??  In the 90s, Kajol had her tan complexion and she was successful.  I thought she was one of the most beautiful women of the 90s and she was a natural beauty too.  I never noticed her getting fairer in the 90s.  Only in recent times, she became fair.  

It's really sad.  And this skin color prejudice doesn't make any sense.  The audience is okay with dark men, but not women?  Well what do you think happens when genes mix??  We cannot control our genetics, but we can control the way we think.  

It is NOT about skin color. Even at her maximum dusky/dark color Kajol was beautiful. Konkona however is not and she has to deal with it. I loved Kajol in the 90s more cuz she (for me) was breathtaking and had such sharp amazing features. 
lhcj21 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Kareena?  Sometimes, not always!  

Like I said, I thought Kajol was a natural beauty back in the day.  Regardless of color, having good skin matters.  Deepika and Bipasha have good skin and don't look drastically different without makeup.